PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of stats in AC2\ACB\ACR?

DiamondBlade_R
10-07-2012, 08:30 PM
A pretty quick question: could someone explain to me what the weapon stats in the games (deflect, damage and speed) mean? What is their significance to the gameplay? Thanks.

Ielgon
10-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Well it's pretty simple. The more points it has in a category the better it is in it. A weapon with a 1 for speed is very slow while a weapon with a 5 for speed is very fast.

Speed = How fast you can swing it.
Deflect = How many attacks it can block before you "stagger" (where you sort of take a couple of steps back and you lose a little health).
Damage = How much damage it does (so how much health it takes of an enemy when you succesfully normally hit them.

Please note that the points aren't directly related: They're just a rating system. If it has a 4 in damage for example it won't actually do 4 damage, but compared to other weapons it is rank 4 out of 5 in damage.

Don't worry too much about it, aslong as you have good reflexes all of this won't really matter. Just stick with the weapons you think look coolest or the ones with the highest total points.

Assassin_M
10-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Weapons had stats ?

Ielgon
10-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Weapons had stats ?

If you switched them they had stars/dots/points in each category (this started in AC2), the maximum was 5. It was mostly meaningless but it did have some small effects on gameplay. The more skilled players among us could completely neglect these though (since counters and such weren't governed by these) which is why some people might not even notice or already have forgotten it. Makes me wonder if AC3 will still work this way?

Just go back to AC2 if you want to test it out, use one of the first swords and just swing it around and then use Alta´rs sword and swing it around: Altair's sword can be swung notably faster. It is also what made it the ultimate weapon: It had a 5 in all categories, if I remember correctly no other weapon had this. They changed it in Revelations I think where Yusuf's Turkish Kijil was the ultimate and Alta´r's sword had one point less in one category.

Jxspyder
10-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Weapons had stats ?

Technically, yes. So did armor. Any time you bought a new one from the Blacksmith, or looked at them in their weapon/armor stands in your "home" you could compare.

Assassin_M
10-07-2012, 08:41 PM
I was being sarcastic xD

I didn't really see any difference:p

connor_bg
10-07-2012, 08:43 PM
I thought of those like this (but i am most probably not right about the deflection):
Deflect- Something like nano-jubaro-centaro-second more window for Ezio to counter.

Speed- Speed of the swing, but this doesn't really matter at all, since if Ezio is like 5 meters away and you press attack he will do 5 meter long dancing move which is slow as **** before you hit your target no matter if the weapon has 1 point of speed or 5. So the speed of the swing is based on the distance you are from your target, closest enemy= fast swing. So the stat is as legit as the 2012 olympic games terrorist attacks. This stat is notable with weapons slower than the swords, like spear or two handed swords, when you fight a guard with a lighter weapon equipped, and you both decide to swing at the exact same time, the guard will be faster and you will take the hit.

Damage- This stat is possibly most notable during Cesare fight. Compare the blows he will take with a common sword with the blows from Altair Sword.

Ielgon
10-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I was being sarcastic xD

I didn't really see any difference:p

*Facepalm for own failage* Ignore my post XD

And about the deflection: Remember how at the beginning of AC2 you would sometimes stagger and lose health while blocking a couple of normal attacks but how at the end of the game that rarely happened (if at all)? That was deflection. I think it was only noticeable there (and/or they might have changed it for ACB and ACR) since I rarely saw it happen after that, but then again I think the beginning weapons in Brotherhood and Revelations already had a 3 in deflection.

Assassin_M
10-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Its Okay..

Hard to catch sarcasm over the internet xD

MT4K
10-07-2012, 08:50 PM
@connor_bg - Since i seen you do it multiple times i'll just remind you and anybody else. Using a single asterisk can count as bypassing the swear filter.

Ielgon
10-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Its Okay..

Hard to catch sarcasm over the internet xD

I know right? XD

...but really M, what's water?

connor_bg
10-07-2012, 08:54 PM

And about the deflection: Remember how at the beginning of AC2 you would sometimes stagger and lose health while blocking a couple of normal attacks but how at the end of the game that rarely happened (if at all)? That was deflection. I think it was only noticeable there (and/or they might have changed it for ACB and ACR) since I rarely saw it happen after that, but then again I think the beginning weapons in Brotherhood and Revelations already had a 3 in deflection.

The deflection from AC2 is possible to make in ACB or ACR, but it is more tricky.
The thing you need to do is to press high profile and counter at a time just when the enemy's swing is few inches of you. (The timing must be the same as AC1 hidden blade's counter). But this time you need to press both keys at once.

In ACR i can deflect like 20 swings, like you usually deflect just by holding block in AC2.
The deflection is available for swords and daggers (I don't remember how it was with the spears and the heavy sheath, since i can't find no guards wielding a spear at 100% completion except Cappadocia replay, and i never played with heavy sheath). The hidden blade deflection is only available when you currently swinged at some guard and another charges and you press only block without countering, only then you can see Ezio deflecting with it.

The pistol/sword animation counters can be also intentionally controlled that way. Like when you are currently in execution streak chain and if you do the timed double button tap for the deflection animation from AC2, the game, logically, won't break your chain, but you will do a pistol/sword animation kill instead.

You can also do the pistol/sword counter out of execution chain fully intentional by the player, by doing the exact double button tap, but with earlier timing. Every first kill will be pistol/sword counter finish movement, every next won't, even if you are not in an execution chaining at the moment. You need to exit and reenter combat if you want intentionally to do this.

98% of the time when i play AC i do combat. So there are large amount of things hardly to be noted during a fight at first.

Assassin_M
10-07-2012, 08:55 PM
I know right? XD

...but really M, what's water?
PM >_>

Its a Spoiler

Ielgon
10-07-2012, 09:04 PM
The deflection from AC2 is possible to make in ACB or ACR, but it is more tricky.
The thing you need to do is to press high profile and counter at a time just when the enemy's swing is few inches of you. (The timing must be the same as AC1 hidden blade's counter). But this time you need to press both keys at once.

In ACR i can deflect like 20 swings, like you usually deflect just by holding block in AC2.
The deflection is available for swords and daggers (I don't remember how it was with the spears and the heavy sheath, since i can't find no guards wielding a spear at 100% completion except Cappadocia replay, and i never played with heavy sheath). The hidden blade deflection is only available when you currently swinged at some guard and another charges and you press only block without countering, only then you can see Ezio deflecting with it.

As far as I'm aware there's no deflect button in any of the games? Ezio would automatically deflect attacks for as long as the deflect stat allowed it. You can't deflect being attacked with a spear, you can only dodge it (also I don't think you can carry around a spear with the heavy sheath, only axes). And I think if you just hold block before you're getting attacked Ezio will deflect the attack with the vambraces (that's how I remember it being in ACB and ACR)? I don't remember you having to time the deflects, it would just be done for as long as the deflect stat let it happen (with a higher stat meaning more deflects).

If you people could just read the tasty spoiler M PM'ed me about water! XD

connor_bg
10-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Leave the spears and heavy sheathing a side (they can't be sheathed, yes). Leave the bracer deflects...
So... i will explain it easier. In AC2 by just holding high profile (block) Ezio can deflect any incoming attacks, however if you just hold block in ACB and ACR as you do in AC2, you will see Ezio kind of loosing his weapon's grip, and the next incoming blow will take you health (The ACR and ACB's version of deflection). However the deflection in AC2 can be done in ACB and ACR in totally different way- if you time and press high profile and counter at the exact same time (Using the AC2's version of deflection, without loosing any grip --> eventually take health if enemy's blows are repeated).

Ielgon
10-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I know that that was how it was in AC2 but in my experience I never had that in ACB and ACR, in those I also just had to hold the block button and if the weapon had a high deflection stat Ezio wouldn't stagger ("lose his grip"). If I pressed high profile and counter at the exact same time that would just be counter (high profile + attack = counter) which is what Ezio would then do, I did have him deflect instead a couple of times if I messed up the timing and only pressed the high profile button in time. Maybe in ACB and ACR they made it so that the normal block/deflection would be dependant on the deflect stat and the "perfect" deflect is when you just press high profile/block with split second timing?

connor_bg
10-07-2012, 09:21 PM
No, it has nothing to do with the stat. The moments when you think that you "messed up" you actually did the timed double tap unintentionally, when trying just to counter.
If you want me i can make you a demonstration video of how Ezio can do the AC2's deflections in ACR, but it will be ready at wednesday, because i have exams these days.

Ielgon
10-07-2012, 09:24 PM
So the deflect stat is just the window of time you have to deflect and/or counter things in ACB and ACR? Interesting. Still the deflect I did when I "messed up" according to you seems to be the same deflect as if I had just blocked and not even tried to counter.

In AC2 it does seem to be tied to blocking and deflecting things that way though, just stand around blocking in a fight with a weapon with low and then later one with a high deflect stat. With the low deflect stat one you will stagger a lot more/faster.

connor_bg
10-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I never saw Ezio in AC2 to stagger with any kind of weapon versus any kind of weapon, so holding the block is turning the Ezio's god mode and no one can't touch him with mele infront or his sides unless the player releases the block. However the stagger have appearance in ACR and ACB, and it happens if you try to just holding the block, like in AC2.
The deflection stat though have appearance in AC2, ACB and ACR, but only ACB and ACR have stagger, so pretty much i outclude the deflect has something to do with the stagger, it is more likely to be responsible for the wideness of the window of time you have for timing your counters.

Ielgon
10-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Fair enough, weirdly for me it was the other way around. Seen him stagger in AC2, never seen him stagger except because of heavy attacks in ACB and ACR.

connor_bg
10-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes i noticed that you memorized it upside down- about the AC2 and ACB's combat i mean.
And yeah, i forgot about the heavy attacks from those fat guys, they can stagger you in any of mentioned games- AC2, ACB and ACR. Those attacks cannot be deflected.

Here are two videos to show you the difference between AC2 block and ACR's block:
AC2's version of Ezio's block at 0:02 second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiKvJFnRXug
ACR's version of Ezio's block at 0:10 second (where an enemy with spear swings at Ezio, where you can see that Ezio staggers instead deflecting as he deflects in AC2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkGl_DcIt44

You can see that in AC2's fight Ezio is using his sword to slide the enemy's swing sideways. And everything looks smoothly.
However in ACR's fight Ezio is kind of leaning his head staggering and camera shaking and all that crazy stuff that doesn't look smoothly.
But the double tap i mentioned can make Ezio in ACR to do the smooth deflection seen on the AC2 video i've showed you.