PDA

View Full Version : So Ubisoft....

lightlamp
10-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Why did you edit the tralier? http://kotaku.com/5949062/heres-the-stuff-from-the-new-assassins-creed-iii-trailer-that-ubisoft-doesnt-want-americans-to-see

Slayer_WTF
10-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Lol

xXRyzonXx
10-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I really don't know, it was probably a pr decision of some sort.

I prefer the european trailer, i love the part where he says "Because no-one else will!"

PaCmAn0894
10-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Conno may fight the both sides in the game but i think that he killed them for reason.

lightlamp
10-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I really don't know, it was probably a pr decision of some sort.

I prefer the european trailer, i love the part where he says "Because no-one else will!"
I guess the earlier Kotaku article was right. Ubisoft (or at least there marketing team) thinks Americans cant handle killing there virtual ancestors

xXRyzonXx
10-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I guess the earlier Kotaku article was right. Ubisoft (or at least there marketing team) thinks Americans cant handle killing there virtual ancestors

Well, I'm sure it will be in the NA version regardless, as i can't see them censoring an entire story arc for the sake of not annoying americans.

ProletariatPleb
10-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Like a comment on that very article says:
"For the people who wonder why Ubisoft is censoring AC3 - there is an other game published by Ubisoft - Call of Juarez 2 - for like first 10 minutes of this game you are playing as Confederacy soldier killing Unionists during american civil war. Some of you my remember how much fanboy ****storm this short sequence created, sentence "I feel uncomfortable killing americans" was basically all over gaming internet."

^And that did happen.

De Filosoof
10-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Ignorant humans are sad.

xXRyzonXx
10-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Ignorant humans are sad.

IKR, I hate the jersey shore too!

Sickull
10-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Oh god I hate this type of journalism trying to spot a issue where there isn't one, if Ubisoft didn't want us to see it why upload to youtube and why not region lock it.

dxsxhxcx
10-05-2012, 01:14 PM
pointless decision, we are on the internet, there is no way to avoid the UK video from being known by the north american people, there are so many ways to get that video that this kind of censorship is almost a joke, IMO is this kind of decision that contribute to behaviours like the one mentioned by sidspyker24...

zainzombie
10-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Lol.. I honestly find it funny how Ubi is spoon feeding Americans with what they want to see. After reading the comments on GW DLC page on Fb, I can really see why Ubi edited the american version. I guess it was done to keep the stupid controversy and whining low when the game is so close to the release date.

lightlamp
10-05-2012, 01:36 PM
I think everyone now has got over the killing of British forces. The problem now is Ubisoft's marketing team trying to create new issues

kudos17
10-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Lol.. I honestly find it funny how Ubi is spoon feeding Americans with what they want to see. After reading the comments on GW DLC page on Fb, I can really see why Ubi edited the american version. I guess it was done to keep the stupid controversy and whining low when the game is so close to the release date.

Well ya know what, it's their fault in the first place. The marketing team threw out a bunch of "America F*** YEAH" videos to attract new fans, and then the new fans are mad when they see their hero in a darker light.

All the Americans who know what AC is about don't care. It's the new American fans, and the patriots who don't even play video-games, who are throwing a hissy fit about this crap

pacmanate
10-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I need to get this off my chest.

Us Brits did not get angry that Connor was killing British soldiers. We (most of us, not going to speak for everyone) got angry because he ONLY killed British soldiers in all the media we saw before a month ago.

To have Ubisoft pull a stunt by not showing Connor killing bluecoats says to me that Ubisoft know that Americans are so butt hurt over killing virtual "ancestors" that they will kick up a hissy fit. I mean look at that George Washington DLC, so many American people are ******ly angry at it.

All we can take away from this, is English people can take killing redcoats, but Americans can't stand seeing bluecoats dying.

NOLA_Assassin
10-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I think this is dumb, I'm American and I always watch the UK trailers as they pop up first. As do most people from any English speaking country.

lightlamp
10-05-2012, 04:02 PM

Us Brits did not get angry that Connor was killing British soldiers. We (most of us, not going to speak for everyone) got angry because he ONLY killed British soldiers in all the media we saw before a month ago.

To have Ubisoft pull a stunt by not showing Connor killing bluecoats says to me that Ubisoft know that Americans are so butt hurt over killing virtual "ancestors" that they will kick up a hissy fit. I mean look at that George Washington DLC, so many American people are ******ly angry at it.

All we can take away from this, is English people can take killing redcoats, but Americans can't stand seeing bluecoats dying.Yeah and im Scottish and i can take killing redcoats also :P

ACfan443
10-05-2012, 04:11 PM
It's ironic because Ubi marketing's pupose was to avoid a backlash by censoring any depiction of blucoat murder. However in doing so, they've themselves induced a backlash by revealing their apparent favouritism to the American audience. I swear, they're so far up America's arse, they can't see that there are other countries who will buy the game and contribute to sales figures. This was a cheap and unnecessary act.

D.I.D.
10-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Oh god I hate this type of journalism trying to spot a issue where there isn't one, if Ubisoft didn't want us to see it why upload to youtube and why not region lock it.

Because that would compound the problem if it ever became a wider story. As things stand the most likely thing is that, of those US citizens who do get to see the UK trailer on YouTube, virtually all of them will be games fans who have seen enough of the promotion aimed at the core market. A large proportion of them will be AC fans. This group isn't likely to make much noise at all.

Ubisoft is more concerned with the new customer who sees the trailers on TV and in cinemas, and will never see the obscure alternative edit made for the UK.

This is a deliberate move. The edit was not made accidentally, and it is noteworthy, so they wrote about it. In fact, I read Kotaku quite a lot, so I saw what happened. Earlier that day, they posted the original story which was purely "hey, look at this new AC trailer". Then in the comments, someone embedded the UK one and pointed out the difference. This situation was the result of the readership leading the tone for the follow-up story, so Kotaku's journalistic standards aren't the issue here.

NOLA_Assassin
10-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Because that would compound the problem if it ever became a wider story. As things stand the most likely thing is that, of those US citizens who do get to see the UK trailer on YouTube, virtually all of them will be games fans who have seen enough of the promotion aimed at the core market. A large proportion of them will be AC fans. This group isn't likely to make much noise at all.

Ubisoft is more concerned with the new customer who sees the trailers on TV and in cinemas, and will never see the obscure alternative edit made for the UK.

This is a deliberate move. The edit was not made accidentally, and it is noteworthy, so they wrote about it. In fact, I read Kotaku quite a lot, so I saw what happened. Earlier that day, they posted the original story which was purely "hey, look at this new AC trailer". Then in the comments, someone embedded the UK one and pointed out the difference. This situation was the result of the readership leading the tone for the follow-up story, so Kotaku's journalistic standards aren't the issue here.

Nah, it's just Kotaku being sensationalist.

D.I.D.
10-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Nah, it's just Kotaku being sensationalist.

No it isn't.

As I said:

1. Kotaku posts completely favourable promotional story to draw attention to the trailer (http://kotaku.com/5948977/assassins-creed-iiis-native-american-hero-had-a-very-hard-life)
2. A user points out the strange differences between the UK and US trailers (http://kotaku.com/5948977/assassins-creed-iiis-native-american-hero-had-a-very-hard-life?tag=assassin.s-creed&post=53231178).
3. Kotaku makes a second story (http://kotaku.com/5949062/heres-the-stuff-from-the-new-assassins-creed-iii-trailer-that-ubisoft-doesnt-want-americans-to-see?tag=assassin.s-creed) about this discrepancy.

How is that sensationalist? How is that even a fault, let alone a fault of Kotaku's?

Layytez
10-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Looks like some people are finallly catching on...

Kaiskune
10-05-2012, 05:07 PM
I think everyone now has got over the killing of British forces. The problem now is Ubisoft's marketing team trying to create new issues

I don't see how its going to cause issues to be honest. the Americans seem content with their version and the New UK/EU trailer has put alot of doubts over the neutrality of the new antagonist to rest. (mel gibson will definitely not be purchasing a life sized cutout of Connor for his patriotic Idol collection)

when at the very least 50% of AC3's sales will be in the US its hard not to understand why Ubisoft felt the edited US verson was warranted.

D.I.D.
10-05-2012, 05:15 PM
when at the very least 50% of AC3's sales will be in the US its hard not to understand why Ubisoft felt the edited US verson was warranted.

Is that a guess or a real figure? It sounds very high.

Kaiskune
10-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Is that a guess or a real figure? It sounds very high.

it was a guess... a bit too high?

Locopells
10-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Just a thought here, but does anyone think Ubi might have done this on purpose, to draw attention to the game?

D.I.D.
10-05-2012, 05:30 PM
it was a guess... a bit too high?

Actually no, you've probably hit it pretty well as it turns out! I had a look at Ubisoft's 2012 annual report. It doesn't breakdown sales game-by-game, but overall the company is making just over half of its sales in the US alone.

nitres15
10-05-2012, 05:36 PM
i understand why ubi did this, they wanted to draw some new "´murica" fans in, and it is not like it is going to hurt them, all of the "hardcore" fans are still going to buy the game anyways

Eskaminzim
10-05-2012, 06:05 PM

All we can take away from this, is English people can take killing redcoats, but Americans can't stand seeing bluecoats dying.

You should've kept that on your chest, and I'm going to show you why...

How can you POSSIBLY claim that "most of the brits" only cared about that?! How do you know this? Where did you get this statistic?! You say you won't speak for all Brits. But then you WILL speak for the majority of them?! lol wut?!

Then you go on to generalize Americans and say that "Americans can't stand seeing bluecoats dying." So you "won't speak for all brits" BUT you will generalize ALL Americans?! LOL!

MRNMRSPACER
10-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Well, I'm sure it will be in the NA version regardless, as i can't see them censoring an entire story arc for the sake of not annoying americans.
they better not sensor the game in NA id be so mad -.-
i dont mind killling american or british people or anyone in any game!WHY? BECAUSE ITS A GAME!its fake not real,not like im actually killing someone!

lightlamp
10-05-2012, 06:34 PM
I don't see how its going to cause issues to be honest. the Americans seem content with their version and the New UK/EU trailer has put alot of doubts over the neutrality of the new antagonist to rest. (mel gibson will definitely not be purchasing a life sized cutout of Connor for his patriotic Idol collection)

when at the very least 50% of AC3's sales will be in the US its hard not to understand why Ubisoft felt the edited US verson was warranted.Anyone who would be offended and gets put off buying AC3 by seeing virtual soldiers being killed should not be playing video games period. What WILL put people off is the blatant pro US marketing that Ubisoft is pouring out

lightlamp
10-05-2012, 06:38 PM

How can you POSSIBLY claim that "most of the brits" only cared about that?! How do you know this? Where did you get this statistic?! You say you won't speak for all Brits. But then you WILL speak for the majority of them?! lol wut?!

Then you go on to generalize Americans and say that "Americans can't stand seeing bluecoats dying." So you "won't speak for all brits" BUT you will generalize ALL Americans?! LOL!In my opinion Both sides will have a minority of people that will be "offended" by killing there own troops the problem is, Is that Ubisoft generalizes all of Americans by thinking you will all cry about it so they edited it out. While in the UK i have probably seen about 2 million redcoats killed lol.

Eskaminzim
10-05-2012, 06:58 PM
In my opinion Both sides will have a minority of people that will be "offended" by killing there own troops the problem is, Is that Ubisoft generalizes all of Americans by thinking you will all cry about it so they edited it out. While in the UK i have probably seen about 2 million redcoats killed lol.

I wasn't talking about that. I was just a little pissed at that guy who was making idiotic generalisations. I couldn't care less about the way Ubi markets their games. Anyone who cares is an idiot. Judge the game itself not a trailer some corporate *******s made. Just sayin'...

Jexx21
10-05-2012, 09:43 PM
To be honest, I don't think most Americans truly care...

The minority are always fairly vocal.

FrankieSatt
10-05-2012, 09:49 PM
THIS IS A VIDEO GAME. This isn't real life, this isn't life and death, IT'S A FREAKING VIDEO GAME. People need to stop getting upset over a VIDEO GAME.

Gespenst1246
10-05-2012, 10:07 PM
ITS JUST A VIDEO GAME!??! *LE GASP* lol jk.

pacmanate
10-05-2012, 10:35 PM

Then you go on to generalize Americans and say that "Americans can't stand seeing bluecoats dying." So you "won't speak for all brits" BUT you will generalize ALL Americans?! LOL!

I say most due to comments I have read in various places regarding British peoples views of not seeing bluecoats dying and only redcoats, along with the confusion that redcoats are evil. I am not generalising all Americans either, but I am stating the ones that will get butt hurt over seeing bluecoats dying or anything bad against their country. It is pathetic.

Eskaminzim
10-05-2012, 11:28 PM
I say most due to comments I have read in various places regarding British peoples views of not seeing bluecoats dying and only redcoats, along with the confusion that redcoats are evil. I am not generalising all Americans either, but I am stating the ones that will get butt hurt over seeing bluecoats dying or anything bad against their country. It is pathetic.

No ****, of course it's pathetic. I'm not talking about that. And sorry but there's no way you can say "most" as an absolute fact unless you somehow combed through the ENTIRE internet! And that sure as hell looked like a generalisation to me, lol. How is "English people can take killing redcoats, but Americans can't stand seeing bluecoats dying." and "Ubisoft know that Americans are so butt hurt over killing virtual "ancestors" that they will kick up a hissy fit." not generalisations of the Americans AND British?! lol.

GreatBeyonder
10-06-2012, 12:08 AM
As long as they don't touch the game itself, I'm more amused than anything.

Assassin_M
10-06-2012, 12:11 AM
As long as they don't touch the game itself, I'm more amused than anything.
THIS !!

I swear to god If I buy the game and I find "WARNING: Connor did not kill Patriots, One more and you`ll desync" I`ll burn the house down...