PDA

View Full Version : Game hangs all of a sudden

yubetcha
10-04-2012, 04:52 AM
I have been playing AC 1 for awhile, and I am now at the funeral mission. Now I have a problem all of a sudden. I loaded the game,and now sometimes the game hangs. It just gets stuck for perhaps 5 or 6 seconds every half minute or minute, and then continues. I have rebooted twice. So I guess I need to figure out what is happening there. It didn't do that last night when I last played the game. I am wondering if a file is corrupt or something. I have 10 GB of RAM, and Windows says there is 9.77 GB of memory free. The game says that my Windows 7 has all of the requirements to run the game. It didn't do this before now. I don't get it. Does anyone have an idea as to why it might do that? I thought I would reinstall the game, but first I want to copy the saved game somewhere else into another directory. Does anyone know where the game is saved?
Thanks.

ProletariatPleb
10-04-2012, 09:04 AM
That usually happens if your hard disk is dying or the hard disk cable became faulty(had one of those), try other games, if the same happens, I'd say it's related to hard disk and you should try a different socket in that cable or a totally new cable, if that doesn't work, then it's probably an issue in your hard disk itself.

Oh and savegames are located here:
%Appdata%/Ubisoft

I would recommend backing up the whole Assassin's Creed folder from Appdata, otherwise you might run into profile number issues later.

yubetcha
10-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Thanks, Sidspyker. I didn't think about the profile issues. This computer is new, only about 3 months old. I will check for a loose cable. Thanks again

Geowil
10-06-2012, 11:14 PM
I have been playing AC 1 for awhile, and I am now at the funeral mission. Now I have a problem all of a sudden. I loaded the game,and now sometimes the game hangs. It just gets stuck for perhaps 5 or 6 seconds every half minute or minute, and then continues. I have rebooted twice. So I guess I need to figure out what is happening there. It didn't do that last night when I last played the game. I am wondering if a file is corrupt or something. I have 10 GB of RAM, and Windows says there is 9.77 GB of memory free. The game says that my Windows 7 has all of the requirements to run the game. It didn't do this before now. I don't get it. Does anyone have an idea as to why it might do that? I thought I would reinstall the game, but first I want to copy the saved game somewhere else into another directory. Does anyone know where the game is saved?
Thanks.

That usually happens if your hard disk is dying or the hard disk cable became faulty(had one of those), try other games, if the same happens, I'd say it's related to hard disk and you should try a different socket in that cable or a totally new cable, if that doesn't work, then it's probably an issue in your hard disk itself.

Oh and savegames are located here:
%Appdata%/Ubisoft

I would recommend backing up the whole Assassin's Creed folder from Appdata, otherwise you might run into profile number issues later.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have the same problem as yubetcha does. I know it is not a hard drive problem and AC1 is the only game this is happening to. I am attempting to reinstall AC1 as I type this though so I will see if that helps. I suspect a file got corrupted and GameStop's sorry excuse for a DD program does not check for invalid files.

My specs are higher than yubetcha's though:

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.6Ghz
Ram: 16GB
video card: Radeon HD 7970
Sfx: RealTek HD on-board chip
MB: Asus Sabertooth X79
Windows 7 64-bit

AC worked fine before but I had not played it in some time. However unlike yubetcha the lag I am getting only happens during fights and other interaction with NPC's where a button is required to initiate the interaction. This is why I think it was a corrupted file and it may be the case with yu's as well. However I am posting this in case it is not so that there is more information available.

Geowil
10-07-2012, 03:10 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have the same problem as yubetcha does. I know it is not a hard drive problem and AC1 is the only game this is happening to. I am attempting to reinstall AC1 as I type this though so I will see if that helps. I suspect a file got corrupted and GameStop's sorry excuse for a DD program does not check for invalid files.

My specs are higher than yubetcha's though:

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.6Ghz
Ram: 16GB
video card: Radeon HD 7970
Sfx: RealTek HD on-board chip
MB: Asus Sabertooth X79
Windows 7 64-bit

AC worked fine before but I had not played it in some time. However unlike yubetcha the lag I am getting only happens during fights and other interaction with NPC's where a button is required to initiate the interaction. This is why I think it was a corrupted file and it may be the case with yu's as well. However I am posting this in case it is not so that there is more information available.

I figured out my issue. For some reason Assassin's Creed tries to connect to this IP address every time you are about to kill someone: 216.98.48.18

Add this: 216.98.48.18 localhost

to your hosts file in Windows/System32/DRIVERS/ect/hosts.txt to make it connect to your loopback address and stop lagging because the server it's trying to contact cannot be found.

This is not caused by your system, it is caused by Ubisoft's oversight and a server that is no longer operational or reachable on their end

Quinn_Snow
10-07-2012, 03:43 AM
I had the same problem as both of you, and neither of your solutions stopped the lag. But when Geowil mentioned the the game just had issues with the connecting to the internet, I just disconnected the internet from my PC - now my game seems to be lag free.

Geowil
10-07-2012, 05:35 AM
I had the same problem as both of you, and neither of your solutions stopped the lag. But when Geowil mentioned the the game just had issues with the connecting to the internet, I just disconnected the internet from my PC - now my game seems to be lag free.

The IP address seems to have changed. Try this one instead. I used Microsoft Network Monitor to see what AC was trying to connect to and it listed this address:

Technically it was a host name: lb-onl-h-wspub01.ubisoft.com this resolved to the ip address listed above after pining it.

yubetcha
10-07-2012, 07:03 AM
When I posted my hang problem, I was thinking it was every minute or so. But after reading here, I went back and paid closer attention. It IS when I am trying to kill someone, just like the above post. I will try your suggestion about the IP address. Good catch! Thanks. I would like to know why the game is trying to contact a server when we are trying to kill someone. I wonder what the reason could be.

Geowil
10-07-2012, 07:17 AM
It could be left over from Ubisoft's online-requirement code but some have also speculated it was code to improve AI behavior for ACII by examining how players killed npcs.

yubetcha
10-07-2012, 07:27 AM
I see. That makes sense.
I just now tried to change the file to include 216.98.48.18 localhost and Windows says I don't have permission, and only the administrator does. This is my computer, so I guess I need to search and find out how to become the administrator when Windows boots. Thanks, Geowill. I figured out how to run programs as administrator, but this is a new problem. I have only had the computer about 3 months.

Geowil
10-07-2012, 10:07 AM
It should be .134 not .18 on the end of that ip address. But from your issue it sounds like your not on an administrator account. Easy enough to fix. Go to start > Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change Your Account Type > Click on the Administrator radio button and then on Change Account Type. You will be asked to restart and once your computer restarts you should have administrator level access.

The above path is if you still have the Control Panel showing the icons in Category mode. If you have it switched to Icons just double click on User Accounts in the Control Panel and pick up from there.

robertthebard
10-08-2012, 02:03 PM
OK, I tried this fix, since I'm also having this problem, and even though I am set up as administrator, it won't allow me to save the changes to the host file. Perhaps we can actually get some support from UbiSoft on this issue, since they created the problem? Assassin's Creed is unplayable in this state, and I have recently encountered an "Establishing a network connection" issue with Assassin's Creed 2 that did not exist prior to this weekend.

Edit: The AC II issue is resolved, but as an additional funny, pushing the Help button on UPlay took me to the UPlay shop... Just a note, if I'm needing help to play games I've already purchased, I'm probably not going to want to buy more games. I mean, if it needs support, and I can't get it, why would I believe that new games would be any better?

aswierczynski
10-08-2012, 04:22 PM
I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. I have no problems changing the host file to include the IP 216.98.48.134. This does not change the stutter. If I disable my network connection the problem disappears. I have this game installed on a secondary hard drive (not the same one the OS is installed on). Would this change the procedure necessary to stop the problem?

EDIT: The game I am experiencing this problem with is Assassin's Creed Directors Cut.

maxtortheone
10-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I have desperately edited the hosts file, tried with numerous firewalls and yet nothing happened. I traced the IP the game was dialling to and blocked it with the hosts file and nothing happened. Someone please help.

Siamak8286
10-09-2012, 12:39 AM
I also have the same issue as well, tried the host editing with all the ips given here and no luck at all, still freezes. they changed the ip and since last few days the freezing came back, when i disable the internet connection the game works fine, please someone from Ubisoft if you read this come up with a solution as it's very annoying to play the game like this.

Black_Widow9
10-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Please contact Ubisoft Support so they can assist you. The links are in my signature.

Geowil
10-09-2012, 06:38 AM
To those still having issues there may be more than one ip address that these messages get sent to. After adding the address I indicated to my hosts file I do not lag any more when killing npc's. However I did find that running peer blocker caused my to lag in that way every minute or so. There are probably more of these kinds of tracking measures in the game that could be causing the problem. I second Black_Widow's advice though, contact Ubisoft support and let them know that this is happening. It is likely that they do not even know about it.

Bringing it to their attention may get them to release a patch or at least a list of ip addresses that operate on the game and cause lag for some so that you all can figure out which are causing your issues. If you want to take my approach download Network Monitor from Microsoft.com and run it while playing. When ever you have lag alt-tab out and see which addresses AC is trying to connect to and add them to your hosts file and see if that fixes it.

robertthebard
10-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Please contact Ubisoft Support so they can assist you. The links are in my signature.

I have: Question Reference #121006-000383. No response, so far, other than the automated one, but it's only been a few days.

To those still having issues there may be more than one ip address that these messages get sent to. After adding the address I indicated to my hosts file I do not lag any more when killing npc's. However I did find that running peer blocker caused my to lag in that way every minute or so. There are probably more of these kinds of tracking measures in the game that could be causing the problem. I second Black_Widow's advice though, contact Ubisoft support and let them know that this is happening. It is likely that they do not even know about it.

Bringing it to their attention may get them to release a patch or at least a list of ip addresses that operate on the game and cause lag for some so that you all can figure out which are causing your issues. If you want to take my approach download Network Monitor from Microsoft.com and run it while playing. When ever you have lag alt-tab out and see which addresses AC is trying to connect to and add them to your hosts file and see if that fixes it.

Since Windows won't allow me to edit the file, despite being the only account on this computer, and by default the Admin, this won't help me. The game ran fine until recently, and it's got to be on their end, since there are others having the problem.

maxtortheone
10-09-2012, 10:58 AM
These IPs added to the hosts file fixed it for me

I used that same solution above to fix the problem. I have managed to fix the problem but not using those exact ip addresses.

These are the ones I used. All of them but one are the same.
216.98.48.18 127.0.0.1
216.98.48.53 127.0.0.1
216.98.48.57 127.0.0.1
216.98.48.133 127.0.0.1
216.98.48.134 127.0.0.1

I say this only to say. If you try all the IP addresses listed here and still don't find the problem fixed, download a program called "wireshark" which I was referenced to by a video about "assassin's creed phoning home". With that program track the IP addresses your game is trying to contact. You'll know them by the fact that they stat with "216.".

Once you nail them all down you should hopefully be good to go. I can confirm as well that I fixed the game while using the game. So you don't have to continuously close out of the game and restart, if it works the fix will be instant.

I have a feeling I had to add to that list:
216.98.48.134 127.0.0.1
Because I'm Canadian.

From the Steam forums. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33045327&postcount=12)

I have: Question Reference #121006-000383. No response, so far, other than the automated one, but it's only been a few days.

Since Windows won't allow me to edit the file, despite being the only account on this computer, and by default the Admin, this won't help me. The game ran fine until recently, and it's got to be on their end, since there are others having the problem.

Easy way to edit the hosts file is to search for notepad in the start menu, right click on notepad and click on Run as administrator. Then navigate to the hosts file and you can save the edits now.

robertthebard
10-09-2012, 01:18 PM
These IPs added to the hosts file fixed it for me

From the Steam forums. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33045327&postcount=12)

Easy way to edit the hosts file is to search for notepad in the start menu, right click on notepad and click on Run as administrator. Then navigate to the hosts file and you can save the edits now.

I gave this a shot, with all the included IP's and it had no effect on the game. Thanks for the advice about Word Pad, that did work. It may ultimately be easier to wait for UbiSoft to answer my report, and figure out a fix from there.

Edit: I got that fileshark, and the only IP coming up for me is 216.98.48.134, but since it's in the list, it's not working to fix the issue.

Black_Widow9
10-10-2012, 02:38 AM
Just so you guys know the first response may be automated but that is normal. Just make sure you update your Ticket and don't let it get solved. ;)

maxtortheone
10-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Reply from support

Unfortunately, this game is not supported for use on Windows 7. First, please make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your video and sound card. Most problems with Windows 7 are related to using outdated hardware drivers.

You may be able to run the game in compatability mode, but the only other recommendation that we could make for you would be to install and play the game on a computer that meets the requirements listed on the bottom of the game's box. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

I would recommend disabling your internet as you play the game and seeing this may help resolve this issue. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience!

robertthebard
10-11-2012, 03:15 PM
It's been a week, and I haven't even received the "You're out of luck because your OS isn't supported" message. I guess it's a case of they have my money, and it doesn't matter that it worked fine for a month, until something got changed in their system, it's my obligation to build an inferior computer to play a game I already bought. Such a shame, as I was debating which preorder to get for III, but with such poor support, I don't think I'll be getting it at all.

ProletariatPleb
10-12-2012, 05:23 AM
So I recently tried AC1 again and I too am having this issue now. Tried firewalling the IP I connect with - 216.98.48.133 to no luck.

EDIT - Just fixed it.
Had blocked game in firewall already, now opened hosts file and added these to it:

#Game blocks
216.98.48.18 127.0.0.1 #AC1
216.98.48.53 127.0.0.1 #AC1
216.98.48.57 127.0.0.1 #AC1
216.98.48.133 127.0.0.1 #AC1
216.98.48.134 127.0.0.1 #AC1
#Game blocks end

Works fine now.
[To those who are unable to edit/save hosts file, you need to run your editing program, notepad for example, as administrator(Right click Notepad, click on Run as Administrator) and then open the hosts file.]

Geowil
10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Reply from support

Wow, Ubisoft just stretched so far they tore their acl. There is no way that is the problem, just their excuse to get out of doing anything. Maybe if we keep badgering them they will acknowledge this. I may open a itcket myself and clearly point out I have tried this on the "supported" operating system and achieved the same result (tried it on my XP tower, had the same lage until I blocked the address).

robertthebard
10-12-2012, 01:15 PM
So I recently tried AC1 again and I too am having this issue now. Tried firewalling the IP I connect with - 216.98.48.133 to no luck.

EDIT - Just fixed it.
Had blocked game in firewall already, now opened hosts file and added these to it:

#Game blocks
216.98.48.18 127.0.0.1 #AC1
216.98.48.53 127.0.0.1 #AC1
216.98.48.57 127.0.0.1 #AC1
216.98.48.133 127.0.0.1 #AC1
216.98.48.134 127.0.0.1 #AC1
#Game blocks end

Works fine now.
(To those who are unable to edit/save hosts file, you need to run your editing program, notepad for example, as administrator and then open the hosts file)

Ok, so I tried this, and went in and blocked all instances of AC1 I found in the firewall, and it's still doing it. I did get an email from support regarding this issue, stating that they are looking into it. So maybe I'll wind up waiting until they figure out what happened.

lemieux.
10-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Any update on this? Having the same problems.

robertthebard
10-16-2012, 06:09 PM
I have had a flurry of activity on this issue from Support today, but so far, no results. *crosses fingers*

robertthebard
10-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Another flurry today, but the only way I've been able to play is to disable my ISP. It's nice to know that they are working on it though.

robertthebard
10-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Another flurry today, but the only way I've been able to play is to disable my ISP. It's nice to know that they are working on it though.

It would seem that this issue has been resolved. I had a slight hang in the opening movies, but in game combat, does not hang up any more. Thanks for the support.

al-Assas
10-30-2012, 02:09 AM
Yes, it works right again. Thanks for reporting it, and thanks Ubisoft for fixing it.

madethistopost
10-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Why the hell would a game try to connect you to the internet when playing a single player offline game? That doesn't even make any sense.

This reeks of piss poor programing at it's finest.