PDA

View Full Version : Cloth physics

Ielgon
10-01-2012, 05:24 PM
To all those who were worried about the cloth physics, check out the dress of the lady who walks by in the beginning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C31Z0oj2ZXA&feature=relmfu

Seems like it's physics based and not animation based (it reacts to her legs, it doesn't seem to make a pre-planned movement). In previous AC's dresses "stuck" to the legs, here they seem more to be moved by the way her legs move rather than that they're actually stuck to them (which you can see in the little extra "sweeps" it makes as she walks away, it reacts on it's own and isn't stuck to the legs). If even a dress of an npc like this has it, I wouldn't be worried about it being bad/missing on Connor himself.

This does raise the issue of performance though: Say all ladies have these cloth physics enabled dresses and there would be 20 of these on screen at once wouldn't it cripple the framerate because of the processing power required? Is anvil next capable of this? Or is it animation based and is it just very impressive?

rileypoole1234
10-01-2012, 05:27 PM
If it's true that it's not an animation, I'm sure AnvilNext can handle it.

Escappa
10-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Looks really good. Also around 9:00 theres two ladies talking, you can see that the cloths is reacting to the wind.

Ielgon
10-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah they do seem to move in the wind! Leaning way more towards physics than animation at this point.
Also not on topic (in my own topic! O.O) but throughout the video you can see that we get the "cloud movement lighting" from AC1 back!

deskp
10-01-2012, 06:09 PM
The game proapbly have a set number of cloth physics going at once, so if there 20ladies in dresses and the game can handle 10 then the last 10 will use the old method.

ProletariatPleb
10-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Nope, that's still animated, not physics based.

Ielgon
10-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Nope, that's still animated, not physics based.

And what do you base this on? Because to me the different way they move depending on what's happening, there having been a lot of attention to details and movement and Connor apparently having cloth physics seems that these are cloth physics too.

ProletariatPleb
10-01-2012, 08:43 PM
And what do you base this on? Because to me the different way they move depending on what's happening, there having been a lot of attention to details and movement and Connor apparently having cloth physics seems that these are cloth physics too.
By looking at it, obviously Connor is the prot, so he needs to be top notch, but physics based clothing for random NPCs? If that footage is from the consoles I'm 100% it's not physics based, if it's on PC..I still doubt it. Clothing can be animated too and that's exactly what it looks like.

I could be wrong, but so far, that doesn't look like physics based clothing to me.

AssassinVenice
10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
By looking at it, obviously Connor is the prot, so he needs to be top notch, but physics based clothing for random NPCs? If that footage is from the consoles I'm 100% it's not physics based, if it's on PC..I still doubt it. Clothing can be animated too and that's exactly what it looks like.

I could be wrong, but so far, that doesn't look like physics based clothing to me.
It kind of looks like what you said up there. To prove what you're saying, I've noticed that when the animation loops, there's a little twitch in the cloth itself.