PDA

View Full Version : Will it deliver great atmosphere?

Sarari
10-01-2012, 04:37 AM
From what we've seen so far, New York & Boston look very similar to each other. There was a gameplay that took place in New York with some Asian commentary, don't know what language exactly. But in all gameplay videos, Boston doesn't seem to show much atmosphere in it.

Yes it's more alive with people
Yes it has domestic animals
Yes it has much more to offer than previous games

But I'm not feeling it very much. When the first gameplay demo for AC2 came out that took place in the carnivale & the flying machine, Venice was effing beautiful. At that time, it was pretty much mind blowing to see how well designed everything was. The sky was clear with fireworks, and water was crystal clear, and the buildings were made of smooth, white stone. Here's the link to the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Qz9ah8cKQ

In ACB, the demo only showed the Villa attack, which couldn't provide much for us, considering we already playing in Monteriggioni in AC2. But from the screenshots of the ruins and the city, it looked pretty good. And when the game came out, the atmosphere around the ruins and the Colosseum was excellent.

ACR showed us a bunch of mini bomb videos that took place at night. Man, when they came out, I was dying to get my hands on that game. The night time look of Istanbul was just speechless. So alive and joyful, almost like Venice, but a little more colorful. Then with the whole destroying the ship gameplay demo, they showed a lot of the Arabian culture in the day time, with people smoking Hookah and the ocean mist in the air. And with Cappadocia, it gave an AC1 kingdom feeling. If you climb to the top of the ship and look around at the view, it reminds me of AC1 so much.

So what do you guys think? Do you think it will deliver a good atmosphere? If so, will it be better or worse than previous games?

Assassin_M
10-01-2012, 04:44 AM
We never saw New York..

That Video you`re referring to was in Boston..

Evenesque
10-01-2012, 05:32 AM
I think you're laying a bit heavy on the rose-tinted hindsight goggles.

Plus we never saw new york. I can almost 100% gaurantee that, because Alex said himself they specifically didn't allow us to see any of it on purpose. They wanted us to discover the city on our own.

And I would just wait until you play it. Threads like these, and I've seen a lot of them, can have the nasty side effect of looking like innocent inquiries, but in the end they just make you focus on something that's going to feel overemphasized to you when you finally play the game, at which points you'll be expecting too much. Especially in this case, when we're analyzing an aspect of the game that is by nature supposed to be subliminal and in the background. Bringing that to the forefront to analyze something we only have demo videos for can easily ruin your expectations and polarize your reaction at launch when you would otherwise just accept it for what it was. It won't happen, but i strongly recommend purging this line of thought from your mind now before it works itself into an unreasonable snowball of hope.

Not saying you're irrational or anything, just that speculation even when compared to an existing control can have adverse effects.

BBALive
10-01-2012, 07:15 AM
From what we've seen so far, New York & Boston look very similar to each other. There was a gameplay that took place in New York with some Asian commentary, don't know what language exactly. But in all gameplay videos, Boston doesn't seem to show much atmosphere in it.
That was Boston. We've only seen screenshots of New York landmarks. I think the main appeal of New York is that a portion of city will be destroyed, allowing for some great free-running.

But I'm not feeling it very much. When the first gameplay demo for AC2 came out that took place in the carnivale & the flying machine, Venice was effing beautiful. At that time, it was pretty much mind blowing to see how well designed everything was. The sky was clear with fireworks, and water was crystal clear, and the buildings were made of smooth, white stone. Here's the link to the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Qz9ah8cKQ

In ACB, the demo only showed the Villa attack, which couldn't provide much for us, considering we already playing in Monteriggioni in AC2. But from the screenshots of the ruins and the city, it looked pretty good. And when the game came out, the atmosphere around the ruins and the Colosseum was excellent.

ACR showed us a bunch of mini bomb videos that took place at night. Man, when they came out, I was dying to get my hands on that game. The night time look of Istanbul was just speechless. So alive and joyful, almost like Venice, but a little more colorful. Then with the whole destroying the ship gameplay demo, they showed a lot of the Arabian culture in the day time, with people smoking Hookah and the ocean mist in the air. And with Cappadocia, it gave an AC1 kingdom feeling. If you climb to the top of the ship and look around at the view, it reminds me of AC1 so much.

So what do you guys think? Do you think it will deliver a good atmosphere? If so, will it be better or worse than previous games?

You're citing very specific events in the games. The regular city in AC2 was nowhere near as atmospheric as it was during that specific memory. ACB and ACR weren't really that atmospheric in general.

To be honest, I feel like open-world games have a hard time being 'atmospheric' outside of specific events when they're trying to be atmospheric, the Carnivale during AC2 being one of these events. Red Dead Redemption had its moments though (Like Arriving in Mexico).

You'll just have to wait until the game comes out.

Jexx21
10-01-2012, 11:47 AM
That's what I love about New York and Boston: They aren't colored with some weird-*** atmosphere color.

pacmanate
10-01-2012, 01:10 PM
We won't see New York til after the Fire... as everyone has said, Boston is the only city we have seen/

De Filosoof
10-01-2012, 04:04 PM

Yes it's more alive with people
Yes it has domestic animals
Yes it has much more to offer than previous games

My exact thoughts.

I'm not really feeling the atmosphere either.
I hope the game will surprise me :).

andreja110s
10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I just typed in Google ´New York 18 century´ and I think we will see somenthing like this:

http://mail.nysoclib.org/digital_archives/events/NYSL_Mount_Vernon_Washington_Book/Federal%20Hall%20Late%2018th%20Century%20from%20Hi story%20of%20The%20New%20York%20Society%20Library% 20by%20Austin%20Baxter%20Keep.jpg

http://theupwardsociety.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/nyc18thcsm1.jpg

rileypoole1234
10-01-2012, 04:31 PM
I think the atmosphere looks awesome. It almost reminds me of POTC when Connor is in Boston. New York will be different as everybody has said, and there's definitely more things to discover in the Frontier.

dxsxhxcx
10-01-2012, 04:39 PM
You're citing very specific events in the games. The regular city in AC2 was nowhere near as atmospheric as it was during that specific memory. ACB and ACR weren't really that atmospheric in general.

To be honest, I feel like open-world games have a hard time being 'atmospheric' outside of specific events when they're trying to be atmospheric, the Carnivale during AC2 being one of these events. Red Dead Redemption had its moments though (Like Arriving in Mexico).

IMO AC1 did the best job regarding the atmosphere, Altair seemed like he was one with the crowd even when he was with all his weapons. Unfortunately, they weren't able to recreate this atmosphere during Altair's memories in ACR.

Ielgon
10-01-2012, 04:49 PM
I just typed in Google ´New York 18 century´ and I think we will see somenthing like this:

http://mail.nysoclib.org/digital_archives/events/NYSL_Mount_Vernon_Washington_Book/Federal Hall Late 18th Century from History of The New York Society Library by Austin Baxter Keep.jpg

Specifically around 3:41 looks a lot like that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b0w2rCySi-U

Watch the other little snippets from this channel, for some reason they have some ambient "city-life" footage up from every city. There seems to be an atmosphere, whether it's great I don't know yet since there's no music, or just generally walking around with Connor. Just random shots of the city streets .

andreja110s
10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
The atmosphere will be more everyday like... at least how it was in the 18. century. Animals, lots of people, the buildings look really nice,... I like it.

LightRey
10-01-2012, 05:12 PM
We won't see New York til after the Fire... as everyone has said, Boston is the only city we have seen/
What? Since when? We see it before and after if I'm not mistaken.

SteelCity999
10-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I think the atmosphere in AC3 is the best so far because the new engine has allowed them to do more things. One example... I don't remember animals being in the cities in any of the previous games and yet they were an everyday normal thing in reality in all of those cities. Not to mention, the cities in this game, while not exactly new, were definitely not as old as all of the previous locations. Culture and atmosphere had been developed pretty substantially for a long time already in the locations while the colonies were still a melting pot of cultures trying to find themselves.

SteelCity999
10-01-2012, 05:14 PM
What? Since when? We see it before and after if I'm not mistaken.

Alex said this in an interview. He said they had problems with the AI and some other stuff when transitioning from pre-fire to post-fire. So all we get is post-fire.

Ielgon
10-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Alex said this in an interview. He said they had problems with the AI and some other stuff when transitioning from pre-fire to post-fire. So all we get is post-fire.

I always hate to be the person to do this but: Source?

SteelCity999
10-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I always hate to be the person to do this but: Source?

It's also in the sticky thread on the Inside Series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1ZIrWCOUOFI

Ielgon
10-01-2012, 05:30 PM
It's also in the sticky thread on the Inside Series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1ZIrWCOUOFI

Thank you! Sorry for the doubt but I always feel it's neccesary to state a source for statements like that.

hadarm18
10-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Dont worry cities will have the atmosphere once you gonna start exploring them

But i dont think that Boston or New York will be so beautiful as Venice

I mean Venice is my all time favorite town in AC series its just so pretty and has something special about it

BBALive
10-01-2012, 07:53 PM
IMO AC1 did the best job regarding the atmosphere, Altair seemed like he was one with the crowd even when he was with all his weapons. Unfortunately, they weren't able to recreate this atmosphere during Altair's memories in ACR.

I can agree with that.