PDA

View Full Version : Mixed feelings on Connor?

FirestarLuva
09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
So, I thought this would be an interesting subject to discuss.
In the latest interviews, podcasts, Inside series, etc, Alex and few others have mentioned that we'll have mixed feelings about Connor during his story, about his conflict with other characters. He did say we'll love him in the end, but what do you think Connor will do that will change our opinion on him? From what we've heard about Connor lately is that he is fighting for justice, trying to do the right thing, though he has his own brutal way of achieving it which in the end is still for the good of the people. Apart from that, they mentioned that he will often be confused whether he is doing the right thing or not. So, my opinion on this would be that Connor will be a very flawed character, which I personally think is a very good change, apart from Altair or Ezio, who were always doing the right thing, had people there to guide them in their actions and the mistakes they made were very few. So, Connor was born in a mohawk village, out in the forest, not an Order or a wealthy family like our previous protagonists. As his name applies, he will struggle to survive, so he'll always be on the run, not fully trusting anyone. I have the feeling that even his own village will loath him and his mother, because he's half-British. This distrust and his village getting burnt down and possibly his mother getting killed (speculation) will cause great grief in Connor causing him to be impatient, brutal and cocky (yes it is confirmed he'll be like this as well). Watching the sequence six clip, it made me come to guess that the Founding Fathers (who might turn out to be Templars) will use Connor as a killing machine in the war and in the end betraying him. It would be a nice twist if it turns out that Connor had been unsensibly helping the Templars achieve their goal, while all along he thought he was helping the Assassins. Connor might even get banned from the assassins. As the brutal type he is, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the one who kills Achilles, his mentor, who'll scowl him because of his impatience and arrogance (they never said Achilles dies, but you never know). Even though Corey May confirmed that Connor will only be showing his rage and pain during battle (which I guess led them to rebuild the combat system from the ground up), I'll have to admit this. Connor's no god. He won't be able to control his emotions or keep them inside forever. To add one more thing, Aex confirmed that Connor in the end won't be the same character he was in the beginning. What do you think, will he change for the good, or not?
So yeah, this is what I think would be nice, or at least something like this to be implemented in the story. I do care about all the new gameplay, AnvilNext engine, but I'm a story-type as much as I am a gameplay-type. Seeing how they made Connor a very complex, flawed character, I'd love them to show various shades of him. From what I've seen so far, I loved Connor at 14 the most. I don't know why.
Thanks to anyone who bothered reading this. :P

pacmanate
09-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Ezio never did the right thing all the time? Have you PLAYED AC:R?

Also I suspect Connor will be heavily involved in the fire of New York.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 09:13 PM
I read all of it... I DEMAND A COOKIE !!

Anyways, I think you went a bit too far with Connor`s flawed nature, I mean.. Killing his own Mentor ? The guy`s on crutches xD And when was it said that Connor will be cocky ? He seemed very gentle with close people and hey you have to be a Killing machine.. You`re killing people, you have to do it right.. Its not important how you do it, Seriously doubt he`ll be kicked out of the Order for being "Brutal"

I think Connor is Polite, Humble, Gentle, brutal and broken..You can see it in all the scenes. Since he was a Teen He saves people for nothing, he does not expect anything.

FourDea123
09-29-2012, 09:16 PM
i reckon Connor starts the fire because Geroge said it would help the revolution and Connor is quite enamoured by him at this point and afterwards he becomes disillusioned by him.

LoyalACFan
09-29-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't think he'll be "brutal" in the same sense as Altair was, killing everyone who was an inconvenience, and I certainly don't think he'll murder Achilles just because he disapproves of his methods. I think Connor's struggle will be manifested in different stages, some of them more violent and simplistic than others. As we heard in his monologue in the gameplay reveal trailer, "part of him wants to fight and repel all outsiders". He might start out wanting to wage war against the colonists (understandably so, considering the way they treated his people) leading gamers to have mixed feelings about his motives, but then slowly begin trying to live in unison with the Europeans, and working with key colonial leaders to ensure his people a place in the new hierarchy of the Americas.

there76
09-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Connor's struggle is going to be getting over his naive way of thinking. The developers have that Connor thinks in a black and white way. I am guessing later in the game he will realize that there is grey in the world as well.

Evenesque
09-29-2012, 09:38 PM
1) I think the things that will give us mixed feelings about connor are things like what I saw a reviewer talk about in his recent demo. One of the tasks in his demo was to eliminate tax collectors. As in Kill them, in the middle of the street, while they're doing their job. He wasn't told why, he wasn't told they were animal abusers or child molesters or gangsters, it was just suggested to him that the Tax collectors exist, and therefore should die. Connor didn't argue the point, he just went and did it. The reviewer felt odd about this, he said he felt more brutally out of place than in other AC games, like what he was doing felt too unexplained or judgemental. I think Connor is a very contemplative person, but his personal rage he keeps on tap at all times will override his sensibilities at certain points in the game and make the player, who is not *that* pissed, question whether he's doing the right thing or not.

2) I predict connor will turn out much like Ezio. Ezio and Connor have a lot of similar flair when it comes to their youth; fighting for a purpose, much of the time out of passionate fury and a personal vendetta. Eventually, however, you have to realize that we're playing as him because he's incredibly important, and he's going to be exposed to a lot of information almost no one else on the planet will know. Essentially, Connor will go from being a righteous agent of change, to being an absolved, but still angry guardian of information that he never asked to know. Eventually, like the poster above said, Connor will come to terms with what's in my signature.

Fury and Rage are two different things. Fury is wild aggression, uncontrolled and set loose to sate a temporary bloodlust. Rage is more permanent, it sticks to the soul. Rage is more personal, and it's a lot harder to get rid of.

I think Connor's fury will be tempered, but when he needs it, his Rage will always simmer just underneath the cut of his Tomahawk.

FirestarLuva
09-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Great to read other people's opinion on this. :D
Both Altair and Ezio were great characters with a unique story of their own and hope they do the same with Connor. And I agree with the posters above. Connor will be gentle, honorable, willing to help those in need yet still have that inner torture inside of him.
Oh, and Assassin_M here's your cookie(s): :3
http://www.theloopyewe.com/photos/sheris-blog-recipes/1351/

JarodRussel2012
09-29-2012, 11:56 PM
I hope there is some kind of connection to Ezio in the story. Some writings found by Connor that give him some insight into the wisdom Ezio gained in the last 3 games.

Assassin_M
09-30-2012, 12:30 AM
http://www.theloopyewe.com/photos/sheris-blog-recipes/1351/[/URL]
Cookies taste good
http://static.selfdeprecate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/romney-libya-smile.jpg

MetalCreed
09-30-2012, 12:40 AM
Let's see the flaws of our 2 previous ancestors
Altair: cocky and arrogant
Ezio: killed for revenge
Connor: ???

you guys decide

Escappa
09-30-2012, 12:44 AM
I hope they not mention Ezios name but things he did like:
"There was an assassin once..." And I will be like ''Omg they are talking about Ezio!!!!''

MetalCreed
09-30-2012, 12:54 AM
I think Haytham is Altair's descendant, i think Connor's spouse will be Ezio's descendant.
Anyway here's my theory on Haytham:
Altair had children with an English lady, Maria Thorpe. their children as shown in ACR, their descendants probably moved to England and had children with the English that lived there..Fast forward to the 18th century, and you have Haytham. Because Altair's descendants wanted to pay homage to their Syrian Arabic ancestry, some had Arabic originating first names while their English last names remained.

But it's just speculation and theories :p

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 02:42 AM
I think Haytham is Altair's descendant, i think Connor's spouse will be Ezio's descendant.
Anyway here's my theory on Haytham:
Altair had children with an English lady, Maria Thorpe. their children as shown in ACR, their descendants probably moved to England and had children with the English that lived there..Fast forward to the 18th century, and you have Haytham. Because Altair's descendants wanted to pay homage to their Syrian Arabic ancestry, some had Arabic originating first names while their English last names remained.

But it's just speculation and theories :p

Haytham can't be Altair's descendant if he's Connor's father (which he obviously is, since we already know his mentor is Achilles) because it's already been confirmed that Connor isn't related to Ezio or Altair. As for Connor's lover being Ezio's descendant, it's possible, I suppose. Would be nice fan service.

GreatBeyonder
09-30-2012, 02:48 AM
I suspect Connor will be a bit like Altair. Altair would kill anyone without questioning his orders. Connor will probably do anything because it seemed like the right thing at the time without considering the consequences.

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 03:03 AM
I suspect Connor will be a bit like Altair. Altair would kill anyone without questioning his orders. Connor will probably do anything because it seemed like the right thing at the time without considering the consequences.

But you just listed a fundamental difference. Altair killed because he was told to, and often questioned whether it was the right thing to do. Connor kills because he is 100% convinced (at least in that moment) that he's doing the right thing.

GreatBeyonder
09-30-2012, 03:10 AM
Sorry, I meant to add "And then they both regret it."

rileypoole1234
09-30-2012, 03:52 AM
I don't think he'll be "brutal" in the same sense as Altair was, killing everyone who was an inconvenience

Really? He seems even more brutal than Altair to me. He's just a cold blooded brutal killer during fights. Maybe you mean he'll let people live that aren't necessary to kill. I think you're right about that.

He seems to me almost like a Tarzan of sorts, he identifies with nature and wildlife better than he does with humans.

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 03:56 AM
Really? He seems even more brutal than Altair to me. He's just a cold blooded brutal killer during fights. Maybe you mean he'll let people live that aren't necessary to kill. I think you're right about that.

That is what I mean. He has more brutal moves in fights, but I don't think he'll be as "cold" as Altair, if that makes sense? Whereas Altair would execute all the people he interrogated just because they knew too much, I don't think Connor will kill anyone he doesn't believe genuinely deserves to die.

Evenesque
09-30-2012, 07:52 AM
That is what I mean. He has more brutal moves in fights, but I don't think he'll be as "cold" as Altair, if that makes sense? Whereas Altair would execute all the people he interrogated just because they knew too much, I don't think Connor will kill anyone he doesn't believe genuinely deserves to die.

It could be easily argued that Altair was just as convinced of his own beliefs as Connor is. Altair was a cold bull of an assassin at the start of the first game, and then Masyaf knocked him down a few pegs, basically so he could learn to feel again. Feel what it was to be human, feel what it was be an agent of change, and feel what it was to be a person with a purpose that was personal, not just a soldier. Assassins function as a counterpoint to the notion of following orders and controlling a population. Altair was forced to relearn that because he was becoming to dependent on the Creed's rules as excuses to kill than he was obeying the Creed because he felt it was right.

Connor feels like he'd be just a few steps ahead of Altair in this process if you were to compare them at the same age, or the same depth into their membership into the Creed. Connor sounds like he adopted the hood because he'd grieved in a different way than Ezio and put aside his revenge as an immediate motivator, and used the indelible mark on his soul that it created to give him the conviction to right the worlds wrongs. I don't know if it's detailed anywhere else, but the main games don't explain why Altair is in the Creed to begin with, at least not that I can remember.

Connor has his moments though, where his predatory instinct kicks in and overrides everything. From what we've seen so far, it's almost exclusively held in check until he's physically threatened, or someone else is that he sees as undeserving of harm. One of the things I think Corey May pointed out when talking about Connor's animations and his differences from other protagonists is that when he kills he has facial expressions. I don't know if he makes any noise or says anything, but if you look at his face (and there's a video detailing this specific point really well) when he double kills or does a particularly flashy execution after a couple strikes, he's gone. He checked out of reality and he's nowhere but right there, defending his life and at the same time all of those lives he's so driven to protect. Connor uses his conviction as a buffer for his rage, and it's all justification for what he believes is the right thing. That personal faith, that drive was lost from Altair until he got a reality check and became invested in what was going on on a deeper level than just his soldierly convictions making him think he was moving in the right direction because he was told to. Yes, he was cold, and there was not much personality for 90% of the game, but just because someone is quiet and introverted doesn't mean they don't feel.

projectpat06
09-30-2012, 07:57 AM

He tomahawks a guy in the groin just because Stephane Chapeau is going on a rant rage, but that could just be to make the gameplay more fun.

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Altair was forced to relearn that because he was becoming to dependent on the Creed's rules as excuses to kill than he was obeying the Creed because he felt it was right.

Wait... huh? Altair was punished because he broke all tenets of the Creed, not because he was too dependent on them. That sentence is almost the exact opposite of what happened at the beginning of AC 1; Altair disobeyed the Creed because he arrogantly thought it was the right thing to do (i.e. killing the old man in the tunnel, charging at Robert and blowing his cover). Al Mualim basically used him as a stooge to kill off all of his fellow Templars so he could keep the Apple for himself. Sending Altair on his mission had nothing to do with helping him relearn the Creed. Rather, Altair started to realize the wisdom and irony of it on his own.

xXRyzonXx
09-30-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure how he is going to change from the start to the end but it will be interesting nonetheless.

For future reference, please use more paragraphs ;)

Sickull
09-30-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't think the founding fathers are going to be to turn out to be Templars I just think Connor won't see eye to eye with their version of freedom.

HisSpiritLives
09-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Here is my opinion,when they said Connor will be different character them probably meant that he is going to become wiser just like Ezio and Altair,the only way he will do something that isnt good is if he is tricked as i think that will happen.

there76
09-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Like I said before, I think that Connor is going to have trouble killing those who are in the grey area of mortality. He has a view that you are either good or bad. By the end of the game, I am thinking he will kill those kinds of people.