PDA

View Full Version : What is Connor's religion?

NOLA_Assassin
09-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if there's been anything on Connor's religion? Altair was Muslim (I think) and Ezio was Catholic, but neither were very religious, so what is Connor? Does he follow the same belief as his people? Is he more spiritual than the past two?

Anyone know?

ProletariatPleb
09-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Altair was muslim and Ezio was catholic? Lol!

And well we've seen Connor saying things in his language when he hunts etc, so it's safe to assume that he doesn't follow your common religions but the religion of his people(Kanien'gehaga) which is mostly described as 'Animist'

MasterSimaYi
09-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Alta´r was born to a Muslim father and a Christian mother. Whatever religion he followed, if he even did, he would've turned non-religious as soon as he got his hands on the Apple. Ezio was a non-believer." The Assassins keep an open mind and do not follow any particular religion, so you can assume that Connor is non-religious. He may still have been brought up with his Mohawk's tribe religious and spiritual beliefs.

De Filosoof
09-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Alta´r was an atheist, Ezio believed somewhat in a higher power but wasn't necessarily a christian (i think he's an agnostic) and i think Connor will be more spiritual, one with nature.
When you look at the hunting gameplay videos you can hear him say something to the animal he just killed to show respect to the balance of nature.

NOLA_Assassin
09-29-2012, 01:00 PM
So there are no interviews on it? Okay, but y'all are right about the hunting, it does seem to bring out his spiritual side. And I thought it said Altair's and Ezio's religion on the Wiki?

De Filosoof
09-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Well, Alta´r was clearly an atheist, no doubt about it.

Codex page 20:

I have studied the ancient pagan faiths that came before this more recent obsession with a single, divine creator. They seem to have focused more on the fundamental forces at play in the world around us and less on arbitrary moral rules...
The sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening. The tides ebb and flow. Grass grows, withers, dies, and then in time, emerges from the ground once more. The air turns warm then cools and back again. Some hidden energy keeps us fitted to the ground and pulls us back when we attempt to leave it.
Each of these movements was represented before by a god or goddess. Each force given face, but recognized as something distinct and powerful. Which is not to say there were not connections between these forces – a pantheon of individual spirits – of rules. Invisible hands guiding the progress of the world around us.
And so here there was an attempt to categorize, study, explain, and understand the way things work – even if it was flawed. But no more. Now we are asked to succumb to a far more simplified explanation. How naive to believe there might be a single answer to every question. Every mystery. That there exists a lone divine light which rules over all. They say it is a light that brings truth and love. I say it is a light that blinds us – and forces us to stumble about in ignorance.
I long for the day when men turn away from invisible monsters and once more embrace a more rational view of the world. But these new religions are so convenient – and promise such terrible punishment should one reject them – I worry that fear shall keep us stuck to what is surely the greatest lie ever told.

And in this video you'll notice that Ezio isn't a typical christian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FThVFUzol2k

MasterSimaYi
09-29-2012, 01:10 PM
So there are no interviews on it? Okay, but y'all are right about the hunting, it does seem to bring out his spiritual side. And I thought it said Altair's and Ezio's religion on the Wiki?

I am a bureaucrat of the Wiki, and I can confirm that it doesn't say anywhere that Alta´r is Muslim and that Ezio is Christian. Maybe on community-related posts, but not articles.

And in this video you'll notice that Ezio isn't a typical christian.

All you need is to take a look at Assassin's Creed II: Discovery, specifically Ezio's confrontation with Tomßs de Torquemada. "Rodrigo Borgia is a non-believer like me."

De Filosoof
09-29-2012, 01:11 PM
All you need is to take a look at Assassin's Creed II: Discovery, specifically Ezio's confrontation with Tomßs de Torquemada. "Rodrigo Borgia is a non-believer like me."

Indeed:). Good catch.

NOLA_Assassin
09-29-2012, 01:26 PM
My bizzle, I never read the Codex pages and I was misinterpreting the Wiki page on Constantinople. Back to the topic at hand, do you think Connor might clash with the Christian colonists?

De Filosoof
09-29-2012, 01:29 PM
My bizzle, I never read the Codex pages and I was misinterpreting the Wiki page on Constantinople. Back to the topic at hand, do you think Connor might clash with the Christian colonists?

Mwah...I think the christian colonists might clash with Connor.
Christians (especially at that time) weren't the most open-minded people.

Little fact here: They actually smacked native-American babies against rocks 'till they died "in the name of god".

I think Connor will "judge" people by their deeds, not by their race or religion.
He fights for justice.

NOLA_Assassin
09-29-2012, 01:37 PM

Little fact here: They actually smacked native-American babies against rocks 'till they died "in the name of god".

I think Connor will "judge" people by their deeds, not by their race or religion.
He fights for justice.

No religion at that time was open minded and the secularist aspect of the Revolution might intrigue Connor though.

ACfan443
09-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Altair's father was a Muslim and his mother was a Christian, he lived during the Crusades (a war between Muslims and Christians) - Altair took neither side.
Connor's father was British and his mother was Native-American, he lived during the American Revolution (a war between the 'Americans'(patriots) and the British) - Connor took neither side.

However, Ezio wasn't born of a conflicting parentage, he was full Italian. In my oppinion, that's what made the story slightly bland, it was just Italians against Italians. (I acknowledge there were French included in ACB, but I'm talking about AC2)

DoNNiEDaRkO50
09-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Altair was A muslim . I'm a muslim ,,, And if the father is a muslim and the mother is a christian then the son follows the father's religion which is Islam in Altair's case ,,And BTW the Hashashins back in the crusades were all Muslims but There's two kind of Islam :
Sunni Islam And Shiaa Islam
And all the hashashins were Shiaa Muslims and the Shiaa were against the Sunni So The hashashins were against the Muslims(Sunii) And didn't help the Christians Either.
So If it comes to Historical accuracy then Altair is A muslim .
Besides It doesn't matter what is his religion :)

Jexx21
09-29-2012, 05:12 PM

He fights for justice.

You use 'they' like all Christians did it..

hadarm18
09-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Altair was an atheist and so was Ezio since they discovered that god doesnt exist and that humans were created by first civilzation to serve them
I think that Connor will find that also so yeah he will not belive in god or "gods"

Jexx21
09-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Actually, in the AC universe, it's never stated that a God(s) don't exist, just that TWCB were mis-interpreted as gods.

For all we know, the First Civilization has their own religion.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Connor is a Christian..

He goes to the Church on Sundays..

ProletariatPleb
09-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Actually, in the AC universe, it's never stated that a God(s) don't exist, just that TWCB were mis-interpreted as gods.

For all we know, the First Civilization has their own religion.
Which simply means there aren't any gods that we believe for the humans were created by an alien race.
(before anyone starts going ape-**** on this I don't mean 'aliens from space' or something like that)
We get out of the vault try remembering the exchange between Ezio and one of those priest guys "You condemn what you do not understand."

Jexx21
09-29-2012, 06:10 PM
The Assassin's aren't a non-religious group, they just don't care if follow a religion, or which one you do.

The Templars are the strictly athiest group.

The Assassins we play can follow any religion they want to.

AssassinGame1
09-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Alta´r was born to a Muslim father and a Christian mother. Whatever religion he followed, if he even did, he would've turned non-religious as soon as he got his hands on the Apple. Ezio was a non-believer." The Assassins keep an open mind and do not follow any particular religion, so you can assume that Connor is non-religious. He may still have been brought up with his Mohawk's tribe religious and spiritual beliefs.

He followed the Muslims because he believed that the Christians were not doing the right things and Muslims were.

AssassinGame1
09-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Altair was A muslim . I'm a muslim ,,, And if the father is a muslim and the mother is a christian then the son follows the father's religion which is Islam in Altair's case ,,And BTW the Hashashins back in the crusades were all Muslims but There's two kind of Islam :
And all the hashashins were Shiaa Muslims and the Shiaa were against the Sunni So The hashashins were against the Muslims(Sunii) And didn't help the Christians Either.

You are a Muslim? I am one too!

MetalCreed
09-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Because some of the stuff in the AC series heavily contradicts the bible, I'd say no Assassin truly follows a religion. I'm going to go with being an atheist. He might follow some of his Mohawk traditions maybe, but he probably does not believe in God.

AssassinGame1
09-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Wait a minute, I thought Ezio was a Cristian. Not Catholic.
I am a Muslim too!

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Wait a minute, I thought Ezio was a Cristian. Not Catholic.
I am a Muslim too!
Catholic is a branch of Christianity, right ?

But No, Ezio is neither...

Jexx21
09-29-2012, 06:35 PM
He followed the Muslims because he believed that the Christians were not doing the right things and Muslims were.

In Assassin's Creed, the Assassins weren't a Muslim sect.

And Altair actually thought both Christians and Muslims were being stupid (paraphrasing, obviously).

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 06:46 PM
In Assassin's Creed, the Assassins weren't a Muslim sect.

And Altair actually thought both Christians and Muslims were being stupid (paraphrasing, obviously).
Indeed..

He didnt kill people for being Muslim or Christian. he killed them because they were Templars and he followed his Creed...

DoNNiEDaRkO50
09-29-2012, 06:49 PM
You are a Muslim? I am one too!

Elhamd لله :D

kudos17
09-29-2012, 07:27 PM
In Assassin's Creed, it is inferred that the Assassins of Masayaf hide behind the veil of Islam to their enemies, even though most Assassins did not cling to a particular religion.

Altair himself was born to Christian and Muslim parents, but he himself was neither. He most certainly wasn't after he viewed the Apple; toward the end of his life, he believed he was to become nothing or go nowhere spiritually when he died.

Ezio was most likely raised with Christian beliefs by his mother, but I doubt his father was as strict - assuming he, too, practiced the religion. Ezio most certainly believed in the possibility of gods, as seen by his surprise when Minerva appeared. Later Ezio, in his older age, comes to realize this is not so. Whether he continues to believe in the existence of a higher power, or a religion at all, is never really clarified.

Connor is definitely accustomed to the traditional beliefs of his tribe. I'm not well learned in that subject, so I can't say what exactly his beliefs would be, but I would assume it's more of a spiritual thing. Thanking an animal for its body and respecting the balance of nature is not the same as praying to a particular god, and it would still probably coalesce nicely with Assassin beliefs (being that, commonly, most Assassins are hesitant to adopt a religion, as its a way of controlling the masses).

If any Assassin did have a religion, it would probably be of their own accord and beliefs. They would not follow an established religion based on another person or group's ideals; they would interpret it themselves.

MasterSimaYi
09-29-2012, 07:30 PM

You are completely ignoring everything that has been said in this thread and applying real world logic on a game that doesn't handle such logic. If it's not said in any of the AC media, then it's not fact. Alta´r was not a Muslim unless explicitly stated, and it's not explicitly stated. The Assassins in the game are also completely not the same as the Hashashin, other than being based on them.

No.

itsamea-mario
09-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Catholic is a branch of Christianity, right ?

But No, Ezio is neither...

Catholicism is the bit of Christianity with the old dude who sits on a throne surrounded by gold.

And Connor believes in what ever he bloody well wants to, he's Connor, you don't mess with him.

Evenesque
09-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Connor seems more Spiritual than religious. He would almost have to be with so much of an emphasis on his Native American heritage. I think if I was Alex Hutchinson in that meeting room deciding who Connor should be, I'd think that being of his own people's beliefs would suit him as an outsider character more than him being a believer in a religion that's adopted by both sides of the Revolution's conflict. If he was Christian, I think it would be odd, considering he's supposed to be an external force acting on the Revolution.

Funbun777
09-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Altair was atheist

Ezio never really specified (never went to church) but at the same time I believe ezio refers himself as Christian (but not a practicing one) in one of the books

Connor may be a bit Christian and a bit of native relgion mixed together .I have a native friend( who is actually mohawk) who told me that her ancestors were like this

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Altair was atheist

Ezio never really specified (never went to church) but at the same time I believe ezio refers himself as Christian (but not a practicing one) in one of the books

Connor may be a bit Christian and a bit of native relgion mixed together .I have a native friend( who is actually mohawk) who told me that her ancestors were like this
How do you mix 2 religions together ? You`re either this or that..

You can`t go to Church on Sunday Mornings and then go to the Mosque on Fridays for example..

GreatBeyonder
09-29-2012, 10:36 PM
This is a very strange topic for a series which is very heavily anti-religion.

ACI was about the heroes AND villains trying to save the Holy Land from two armies fighting for a nonexistent god.
ACII and ACB have you fighting the corrupt Catholic ChurchDisc and literally beating up the pope. (Although admittedly, we were dealing with the Borgias, a rather special case.)
Discovery had you fighting the Spanish Inquisition.

The devs love to look for 'unpopular' aspects of religion. However, the important thing you need to understand is that culture and religion are very different things. Usually, a person believes a thing not because its in a holy text, but because they were raised to believe it. Altair was raised as an atheist in an organization dedicated to ending a holy war. Ezio was raised a typical noble in the heart of Catholicism and then discovers 'nothing is true'. Connor was probably raised with Mohawk beliefs prior to becoming an Assassin. Even though Ezio and Connor are well aware that there is almost certainly no Higher Power, they still respect the lives they have taken because, to them, it is still the right thing.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 10:43 PM
This is a very strange topic for a series which is very heavily anti-religion.

ACI was about the heroes AND villains trying to save the Holy Land from two armies fighting for a nonexistent god.
ACII and ACB have you fighting the corrupt Catholic ChurchDisc and literally beating up the pope. (Although admittedly, we were dealing with the Borgias, a rather special case.)
Discovery had you fighting the Spanish Inquisition.

The devs love to look for 'unpopular' aspects of religion. However, the important thing you need to understand is that culture and religion are very different things. Usually, a person believes a thing not because its in a holy text, but because they were raised to believe it. Altair was raised as an atheist in an organization dedicated to ending a holy war. Ezio was raised a typical noble in the heart of Catholicism and then discovers 'nothing is true'. Connor was probably raised with Mohawk beliefs prior to becoming an Assassin. Even though Ezio and Connor are well aware that there is almost certainly no Higher Power, they still respect the lives they have taken because, to them, it is still the right thing.
*sigh*

Why do we have to explain this over and over again ?? The games are not Anti-religion Obviously, they criticize blind faith. In Science, Religion and Politics. A LOT of Assassins Believed in various religions. The Assassins Have no problem with Religion, because they tolerate and respect members` beliefs.

Umar Was a Muslim, His Wife was a Christian and Im sure a lot more Assassins had different Religions. Sure it shows Altair criticizing "Invisible Monsters" but it only shows what HE thinks, not what the entire games want to convey..

Altair was an Atheist, Ezio believed in a higher power and Connor is most likely Spiritual...

/THREAD

GreatBeyonder
09-29-2012, 10:47 PM
*sigh*

Why do we have to explain this over and over again ?? The games are not Anti-religion Obviously, they criticize blind faith. In Science, Religion and Politics. A LOT of Assassins Believed in various religions. The Assassins Have no problem with Religion, because they tolerate and respect members` beliefs.

Umar Was a Muslim, His Wife was a Christian and Im sure a lot more Assassins had different Religions. Sure it shows Altair criticizing "Invisible Monsters" but it only shows what HE thinks, not what the entire games want to convey..

Altair was an Atheist, Ezio believed in a higher power and Connor is most likely Spiritual...

/THREAD

I stand corrected on the anti-religion bit (Not my best choice of words) but I still believe culture is more relevant as far as spritual beliefs.

kudos17
09-29-2012, 10:52 PM
How do you mix 2 religions together ? You`re either this or that..

You can`t go to Church on Sunday Mornings and then go to the Mosque on Fridays for example..

Native Americans faced that problem all the time. They struggled between their natural heritage and the European religion forced upon them. Further into the timeline, many Natives were born and raised on European values, and when they were returned to their tribe, they couldn't find a place. Yet they still faced ridicule in the colonies, as well. They were strangers in both worlds.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Native Americans faced that problem all the time. They struggled between their natural heritage and the European religion forced upon them. Further into the timeline, many Natives were born and raised on European values, and when they were returned to their tribe, they couldn't find a place. Yet they still faced ridicule in the colonies, as well. They were strangers in both worlds.
I understand this, but mixing 2 religions together ? How ? Its not Possible is it ? You can have a Religion that has mixes, but 2 religions mixed ?

kudos17
09-29-2012, 11:01 PM
I understand this, but mixing 2 religions together ? How ? Its not Possible is it ? You can have a Religion that has mixes, but 2 religions mixed ?

It depends.

Some Native American children believed in what they were taught by Europeans. There was a few sad examples where Natives would even think they were going to Hell for believing in their tribe's beliefs, or that they were constantly sinning just for being Native. There was even a case where one Native American man believed all his children were killed because he had sinned and he was being punished, due to the English's beliefs.

But it wasn't always this extreme. Some Natives prayed to their English God, but still payed respects to their tribe's beliefs as they were raised to. Since the different tribes didn't always believe in a single god themselves like, say, Islam or Judaism, there wasn't always a clash.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 11:03 PM
It depends.

Some Native American children believed in what they were taught by Europeans. There was a few sad examples where Natives would even think they were going to Hell for believing in their tribe's beliefs, or that they were constantly sinning just for being Native. There was even a case where one Native American man believed all his children were killed because he had sinned and he was being punished, due to the English's beliefs.

But it wasn't always this extreme. Some Natives prayed to their English God, but still payed respects to their tribe's beliefs as they were raised to. Since the different tribes didn't always believe in a single god themselves like, say, Islam or Judaism, there wasn't always a clash.
OK.. So Now it`s clearer..

Is Connor that type of Guy ? Does not look like it..

De Filosoof
09-29-2012, 11:08 PM
It depends.

Yeah, quite a sad part of history :(. Poor natives...

kudos17
09-29-2012, 11:11 PM
OK.. So Now it`s clearer..

Is Connor that type of Guy ? Does not look like it..

You mean, was he one of the kids forced to learn Christianity? Probably not. I believe his tribe, while near Colonies, was never heavily influenced by it. Others were. I don't know if we'll see that in game or not, though.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 11:14 PM
You mean, was he one of the kids forced to learn Christianity? Probably not. I believe his tribe, while near Colonies, was never heavily influenced by it. Others were. I don't know if we'll see that in game or not, though.
We may, but we already have a few Issues and themes being shed light upon. Slavery, Revolution, Oppression..

I don't know if they can shed more light on such an Issue without actually falling in the trap of crappy writing. Sometimes, writing can cause the player to lose track of what is Happening

GreatBeyonder
09-29-2012, 11:21 PM
This won;t be relevant until his presidency, but GW believed in cultural assimilation i.e. converting Native Americans to European lifestyles and belief systems.

SteelCity999
09-29-2012, 11:23 PM
This is the first game that the Templars are actually sort of removed from the church. They become their own entity and establish themselves more of what they are represented to be in the modern day. AC1 showed the Templars as part of the church because they were in actual history. AC2 and AC:B portrayed them as part of the church because that was where the base of power was during the time. In order for Rodrigo to be successful, he had to use the church.

While I think that there are some inferences and statements being made about religion, they aren't necessarily tied together and AC3 is pulling them (Templar and religion) apart from each other. So Connor's religion isn't really relevant to the story or anything else. I think his loyalty to his people and what is right is a more at the forefront than anything else.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 11:29 PM
This won;t be relevant until his presidency, but GW believed in cultural assimilation i.e. converting Native Americans to European lifestyles and belief systems.
We may see hints of this

NOLA_Assassin
09-30-2012, 01:27 AM
I really just started this to talk about Connor and not the other two, but I there is more European influence than we might think. I mean, look at the Homestead.

LightRey
09-30-2012, 02:01 AM
I really just started this to talk about Connor and not the other two, but I there is more European influence than we might think. I mean, look at the Homestead.
There definitely are, but he did grow up a Mohawk. I think that, as an Assassin, religion, on a personal level, becomes less of a "thing". I'm not saying there are no religious Assassins, but I do think that most Assassins tend to have very unique, personal views of the world that never completely agree with any religion, or at the very least give a very unique perspective of them.

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 02:29 AM
The Templars are the strictly athiest group.

This isn't true either. We've had some targets who were legitimate Christians (not counting Savonarola, he wasn't a Templar). Vidic and many of the high-ranking Abstergo execs are obviously atheists, but that doesn't mean the organization itself teaches its members to be atheists. Besides, remember their motto- "May the Father of Understanding guide us." We don't know who the Father of Understanding is, exactly, but it sure as hell sounds religious.

In any case, I see absolutely no evidence that Ezio was anything but an atheist. "Rodrigo is a nonbeliever like me." "My Church is not of God." Several of his quotes reflect a lack of religious beliefs.

As for Connor, I think he's more "spiritual" than religious. He believes that he should respect the earth and its creatures, but I don't think it will be specifically motivated by religious beliefs.

Will_Lucky
09-30-2012, 02:33 AM
Yes, I would say the Assassins are far more individualist when it comes to religion. Then again we saw Mario claim he was never much of a believer anyway upon first entering Monteriggioni. We also know that Altair basically criticized every religion in existence to follow the idea of one deity. He seemed to have an admiration of sorts for Paganism and believed most religions to come since were too convenient and bad as they promised evil upon anyone who didn't follow them. And of course lastly be believed there was no afterlife.

Altair no doubt wasn't Christian or Muslim, he seemed obcessed with those who came before and probably suspected something of them. Ezio of course met something he thought was TWCB and was told straight humanity was created by them so he is more complex to place.

As for Connor, we shall see. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the first religious or at least spiritual assassin we have seen at least until he meets the Assassins, for all we know he will have a revelation.

GreatBeyonder
09-30-2012, 02:34 AM
I sort of tend to ignore the DS games because their approach to canon really bothers me. I'm sure if you asked Ezio, he'd say he's spiriitual but not religious. I don't know how religious youu can be after curb-stomping the Pope... twice...

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 02:36 AM
I sort of tend to ignore the DS games because their approach to canon really bothers me. I'm sure if you asked Ezio, he'd say he's spiriitual but not religious. I don't know how religious youu can be after curb-stomping the Pope... twice...

The "my church isn't of God" quote was from Brotherhood.

GreatBeyonder
09-30-2012, 02:38 AM
The "my church isn't of God" quote was from Brotherhood.

Really? Then I stand corrected. *Could've sworn Ezio said something similar in Discovery* Ah well.

LightRey
09-30-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm sorry, but the "My church isn't of god" quote is only referring to the order he's from. Salai thought he was a monk. He is to the Assassins what a monk is to the church. That is what he is saying. It has nothing to do (per se) with his religious beliefs.

Jexx21
09-30-2012, 02:47 AM
This isn't true either. We've had some targets who were legitimate Christians (not counting Savonarola, he wasn't a Templar). Vidic and many of the high-ranking Abstergo execs are obviously atheists, but that doesn't mean the organization itself teaches its members to be atheists. Besides, remember their motto- "May the Father of Understanding guide us." We don't know who the Father of Understanding is, exactly, but it sure as hell sounds religious.

In any case, I see absolutely no evidence that Ezio was anything but an atheist. "Rodrigo is a nonbeliever like me." "My Church is not of God." Several of his quotes reflect a lack of religious beliefs.

As for Connor, I think he's more "spiritual" than religious. He believes that he should respect the earth and its creatures, but I don't think it will be specifically motivated by religious beliefs.

I meant modern-day.

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 02:57 AM
I'm sorry, but the "My church isn't of god" quote is only referring to the order he's from. Salai thought he was a monk. He is to the Assassins what a monk is to the church. That is what he is saying. It has nothing to do (per se) with his religious beliefs.

He's telling him he isn't a monk, but saying his church isn't of God pretty much also confirms he's not a Christian, due to the dismissive nature of the comment. Even without the quotes, it's only logical to assume. He saw things firsthand in the Vaults under the Colosseum and Vatican that directly disproved the Christian creation story and many other events of the Bible. After seeing all that, he'd be either an atheist or an idiot.

SteelCity999
09-30-2012, 03:17 AM

This is consistent with how the Mohawk people viewed the world. I wouldn't think Ubi would alter this after going through all of the work to be respectful to the language, etc.

I think they have purposefully avoided labeling the fictional characters with a certain religious belief to avoid issues. It's one thing to argue against creation theory and another to take stabs at individual religions. TWCB targets all religions. How the assassins can be aligned with any religion would be preplexing as well, like was said earlier, but probably better mimics the Mohawk and other Native American spirituality of being one with the world.

Jexx21
09-30-2012, 05:27 AM
He's telling him he isn't a monk, but saying his church isn't of God pretty much also confirms he's not a Christian, due to the dismissive nature of the comment. Even without the quotes, it's only logical to assume. He saw things firsthand in the Vaults under the Colosseum and Vatican that directly disproved the Christian creation story and many other events of the Bible. After seeing all that, he'd be either an atheist or an idiot.
Actually, it doesn't "pretty much" confirm it.

And I think he'd be an idiot for becoming an Athiest.. why? Because the sixth sense that the TWCB have really can't be a natural product of evolution.

anik_lc
09-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Altair was a Muslim, regardless what the Apple of Eden did to him later. Ezio was Christian probably. But he could speak Arabic, we have seen it in Brotherhood after making someone an Assassin. :)

By the way, I am a Muslim too, Sunni by nature. :)

YuurHeen
09-30-2012, 07:36 AM
in the ac universe all religions are wrong anyway. maybe there is a god but thats a whole other question. if you have a piece of eden that part is clear so you would be non-religious if you see the thruth.

anyway i do wonder how religion is going to be part of ac3. remember that america was the new nation with a seperation from chuch and state while in england the church had a lot of power. so it kinda has to play some role.

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 07:47 AM
I think he'd be an idiot for becoming an Athiest.. why? Because the sixth sense that the TWCB have really can't be a natural product of evolution.

... so? We don't even know what the sixth sense IS, so why do you automatically assume it was created by a God? The sixth sense was described only as "knowledge"... We humans have intelligence/knowledge beyond that of any other species we know of, does that mean we HAVE to be a product of divine creation? As a practicing Jew, I don't mean to start a religious flame war here, but the dude found conclusive proof that God didn't create humanity and every supposed miracle in history was caused by objects just like the one he'd been carrying around in his pocket. If I knew all that was true in real life, I'm pretty sure I'd be an atheist.

Anyway, this topic has been derailed enough, it's supposed to be about Connor, not Ezio.

anik_lc
09-30-2012, 08:12 AM
^ All hail to Ezio Auditore da Firenze, the greatest assassin who ever lived. :D

NOLA_Assassin
09-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Anyway, this topic has been derailed enough, it's supposed to be about Connor, not Ezio.

THANK YOU! Please guys, stay on the topic of Connor, the stuff about Altair and Ezio has been resolved!

De Filosoof
09-30-2012, 11:55 AM

This. :)

De Filosoof
09-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Actually, it doesn't "pretty much" confirm it.

And I think he'd be an idiot for becoming an Athiest.. why? Because the sixth sense that the TWCB have really can't be a natural product of evolution.

Jexx21, may i ask you a question? Are you a christian?
Christians always tend to believe that when something "isn't explainable" yet it is automatically the work of a god and sometimes make movies like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-j5kKSk_6U&feature=related

That weird part of religion where they try to use science to "prove" the existance of a god...

NOLA_Assassin
09-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Jexx21, may i ask you a question? Are you a christian?
Christians always tend to believe that when something "isn't explainable" yet it is automatically the work of a god and sometimes make movies like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-j5kKSk_6U&feature=related

Oh God, please let's not get into this...

Eskaminzim
09-30-2012, 12:49 PM
This is what happens when you try to talk about religion. lol

NOLA_Assassin
09-30-2012, 02:03 PM
This is what happens when you try to talk about religion. lol

I really just wanted to talk about Connor, not this...

De Filosoof
09-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Ok ok, my bad.

But NOLA your queston has already been answered right?
The game isn't out yet so we don't know for sure but most of us think he's a spiritual person, not necessarily religious.

Why do you wanna know Connor's religion by the way?

NOLA_Assassin
09-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Ok ok, my bad.

But NOLA your queston has already been answered right?
The game isn't out yet so we don't know for sure but most of us think he's a spiritual person, not necessarily religious.

Why do you wanna know Connor's religion by the way?

I'M JUST CURIOUS, but it's cool.

LightRey
09-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Arguably, but not definitively. He is most likely agnostic/atheist (I'm inclined to go with agnostic due to him quickly jumping to the conclusion that Minerva and TWCB were gods).