PDA

View Full Version : AC3 new controls

White24Room
09-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Hi ! I've a questions, what change with the new controls ?
I know now we counter with circle .. But what's up with the free running controls ?

BBALive
09-27-2012, 07:45 PM
R1 to free-run, you won't perform any life-threatening jumps and such if you're just holding this button, but you can manually jump with X/A
L1 lets you manually aim

You should know all of the other controls.

White24Room
09-27-2012, 07:49 PM
yes, but i hear there was 2 running modes ?
The safe and the unsafe mode ?

Layytez
09-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah i'm still a little confused about the controls. Do you still need to press X/A when jumping short distances ? Or does that still count as un-safe free runing ?

LoyalACFan
09-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Yeah i'm still a little confused about the controls. Do you still need to press X/A when jumping short distances ? Or does that still count as un-safe free runing ?

I think what they're saying is that you can use the old controls (L1 + X) to free-run pretty much like Ezio did (he goes in whatever direction you tell him, even if it's off a cliff) but you can disregard X and use only L1 to climb up buildings, jump between nearby branches/beams, and the like. In this mode, Connor will not go flying off in midair unless you press X.

Jexx21
09-27-2012, 08:59 PM
So..

High Profile is gone.
The high-profile button is now just the free-running button
The button previously used as the free-running button (high profile while moving)/jump button (high profile while still) is now just the jump button.

You can now manually aim ranged weapons (or just the bow) by using what is normally the zoom button in games.

For me, it looks like the set up is this (after rebinding keys)

Shift: Freerun
Space: Jump
LMB: Attack
RMB: Manually Aim

Shift is my high profile button, in previous games its original bind is RMB.

Sushiglutton
09-27-2012, 09:31 PM
So..

High Profile is gone.
The button previously used as the free-running button (high profile while moving)/jump button (high profile while still) is now just the jump button.

You can now manually aim ranged weapons (or just the bow) by using what is normally the zoom button in games.

Have you played it on PC? That's awesome! I might go with KB/M if there is manual aim. BTW isn't there a slide button now when you free-run? Or is the sliding triggered automatically?

Layytez
09-27-2012, 11:02 PM
I hope we don't need to hold X/A when jumping short distances such as tree branches.

HSCOnyxAssassin
09-28-2012, 12:08 AM
So..

Where'd you get this from? I've been hearing(and seen in gameplay) that you can't manually aim any ranged weapons its an auto-lock.

MT4K
09-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Where'd you get this from? I've been hearing(and seen in gameplay) that you can't manually aim any ranged weapons its an auto-lock.

In one of the recent preview videos while hunting they aim the bow and the reticule is not targeting the animal. They then slowly move it over the animal and it seems to "lock on" at that point.

HSCOnyxAssassin
09-28-2012, 12:23 AM
In one of the recent preview videos while hunting they aim the bow and the reticule is not targeting the animal. They then slowly move it over the animal and it seems to "lock on" at that point.

Hmmmm, ok. Thats still pretty much auto lock isn't it? I mean when you go to aim at the target and then the crosshairs just snap/lock onto it. You can't free aim and go for head/heart shots or even aim at the legs or anything. Is it from the homestead video? I've put myself on a blackout as far as videos are cocerned.

kudos17
09-28-2012, 12:29 AM
I was really hoping they wouldn't do away with the high-profile thing. I'm so used to that control scheme. What a bummer.

MT4K
09-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Hmmmm, ok. Thats still pretty much auto lock isn't it? I mean when you go to aim at the target and then the crosshairs just snap/lock onto it. You can't free aim and go for head/heart shots or even aim at the legs or anything. Is it from the homestead video? I've put myself on a blackout as far as videos are cocerned.

Well it implies there's some form of free aim, and as far as i remember they said in the past that you would be able to target different parts of the body and things as well.

I Just had a quick look through the preview videos again and cannot find it now, but i definitely remember seeing it because i made a commend about it to a friend at the time :p. Unless i've gone completely crazy and imagined it all haha :).

HSCOnyxAssassin
09-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Well it implies there's some form of free aim, and as far as i remember they said in the past that you would be able to target different parts of the body and things as well.

I Just had a quick look through the preview videos again and cannot find it now, but i definitely remember seeing it because i made a commend about it to a friend at the time :p. Unless i've gone completely crazy and imagined it all haha :).

I can deal with THAT. I just couldn't stand the auto aim in the previous 4 games. As a side note, is anybody else disappointed that they implemented a Quick Time system into AC3? It looks so goofy having the button prompts pop up on screen. I HATE QTE's.

MT4K
09-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Just a disclaimer though :p.

Anything i've said may not be 100% accurate since i cannot find it again to confirm :p

LoyalACFan
09-28-2012, 02:02 AM
As a side note, is anybody else disappointed that they implemented a Quick Time system into AC3? It looks so goofy having the button prompts pop up on screen. I HATE QTE's.

I'm not vehemently opposed to the idea of having QTEs in animal fights, but I hope there are more animations. Getting attacked by a wolf pack and taking them all out with the same "slam into ground and stab" move will get old quick.

Jexx21
09-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Have you played it on PC? That's awesome! I might go with KB/M if there is manual aim. BTW isn't there a slide button now when you free-run? Or is the sliding triggered automatically?

Huh? No, I haven't played it. I was summing up info I got from this thread.

Aphex_Tim
09-28-2012, 08:43 AM
I get to play a bit of AC3 next week, i'm very curious about the new control scheme!

Moultonborough
09-28-2012, 10:08 AM
I get to play a bit of AC3 next week, i'm very curious about the new control scheme!

How? Do you work for a game company or anything in the industry? Just curious it would be really cool, have fun.

BBALive
09-28-2012, 11:39 AM
yes, but i hear there was 2 running modes ?
The safe and the unsafe mode ?

The 'unsafe mode' is simply pressing X/A to perform a manual jump. You'll perform 'safe' jumps automatically by holding R1/RT, but if you want to risk it then you can press X/A to manually jump.

You can choose where to aim (head, limbs, etc.)

How? Do you work for a game company or anything in the industry? Just curious it would be really cool, have fun.

Nah. There's some sort of public event going on in Holland.

Aphex_Tim
09-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Nah. There's some sort of public event going on in Holland.

Yep, and AC3 will be playable.
If i have to wait hours in line though i'll skip it.

projectpat06
09-28-2012, 12:38 PM
I wish there was a crouch button on either of the analog sticks. Just would add to the whole stealth approach. Never liked casually walking up to a roof guard in the past to stab him in the back instead of actually sneaking in a crouched position. I'll settle with the standing up wall cover and stalking zones though. Maybe in the future games

TheDanteEX
09-28-2012, 01:23 PM
I wish there was a crouch button on either of the analog sticks. Just would add to the whole stealth approach. Never liked casually walking up to a roof guard in the past to stab him in the back instead of actually sneaking in a crouched position. I'll settle with the standing up wall cover and stalking zones though. Maybe in the future games

In real life, however, crouching makes more noise than simply walking and it's not like it makes you invisible; just stand out even more. The stalking zones and the wall-cover, and even short walls that you can crouch behind, work well enough and definitely more believable.

projectpat06
09-28-2012, 03:32 PM
In real life, however, crouching makes more noise than simply walking and it's not like it makes you invisible; just stand out even more. The stalking zones and the wall-cover, and even short walls that you can crouch behind, work well enough and definitely more believable.

Good point. I don't even think I've seen any footage of Connor crouching behind shorter cover, but I'm sure the devs have done everything to make every aspect as best as possible given the time and resources they've had.

ivan0519
09-28-2012, 04:40 PM
So..

High Profile is gone.

i think it the default should be this

Freerun-RMB
Jump-Space
Attack-LMB
Manually Aim-clicking the mouse wheel

but wth, we can configure our own controls :p

pacmanate
09-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Soooo any UK stores having demos soon?

AssassinGame1
09-28-2012, 08:29 PM
personally, i want the controls to change

AssassinGame1
09-28-2012, 08:33 PM
i think it the default should be this

Freerun-RMB
Jump-Space
Attack-LMB
Manually Aim-clicking the mouse wheel

but wth, we can configure our own controls :p

No, this topic is for the console controls. That's why it is on the general discussion forum, not the PC Discussion forum.

Soulid_Snake
09-29-2012, 01:50 AM

Has this been confirmed? I thought ranged weapons were auto-aim only.

Jexx21
09-29-2012, 02:07 AM
No, this topic is for the console controls. That's why it is on the general discussion forum, not the PC Discussion forum.

Dude, don't be hating on the PC. This topic is for the controls in general, not just the console controls.

LoyalACFan
09-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Dude, don't be hating on the PC. This topic is for the controls in general, not just the console controls.

This is the console forum, though. The PC boards are separate.

HisSpiritLives
09-29-2012, 09:10 AM

Dont blame pc gamers PC forum is less popular then this one so there is not as much people to disscus.

Jexx21
09-29-2012, 04:45 PM

But they really shouldn't be.

In a recent interview they stressed that the PC experience will be the same as the consoles, why should the forums be separate then?

Ielgon
09-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Has this been confirmed? I thought ranged weapons were auto-aim only.

A pretty well known forum user who has played it confirmed that it will work a bit like in RDR: you can manually aim until your crosshair goes over a target, it will then lock on to that target. If however you move the stick again you can change where on the target you want to aim (or something along those lines). He said that he also tried shooting different body parts and that it caused different effects, he shot one redcoat in the leg and he didn't die (I think he fell!) while he shot another in the head which did kill him instantly.

LoyalACFan
09-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Dont blame pc gamers PC forum is less popular then this one so there is not as much people to disscus.

I'm not "blaming" PC gamers for anything, I'm just saying PC-exclusive concerns should be on the PC forum. PC players can comment in here about game content, plot speculation, new previews, and other information that applies to all iterations of the game, because it is more popular and has more regular posters. AssassinGame1 was just pointing out that the PC controls would be better addressed on the PC forum, and he got jumped on and accused of "hating" on PC gamers.

Seriously, you people need to chill, nobody's attacking PC players...

Jexx21
09-29-2012, 10:31 PM
But this isn't a PC exclusive concern. Concerns about controls are just as prevalent on the PC as the consoles.

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 04:05 AM
But this isn't a PC exclusive concern. Concerns about controls are just as prevalent on the PC as the consoles.

He was talking about keyboard controls, which are not analogous to console controls... -__-

Whatever, dude, it's not a big deal.

Jexx21
09-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Actually, they are, since we use the same amount of buttons either way.

And you're the one who brought the issue up in the first place.

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 08:11 AM
And you're the one who brought the issue up in the first place.

Check back a page or two and rethink that statement.

White24Room
09-30-2012, 12:10 PM
If the cross button is only to jump now, which button is to sprint ?

Mrnilsman
09-30-2012, 02:17 PM
If the cross button is only to jump now, which button is to sprint ?

I think its the right shoulder button but i wonder how to walk fast/jog then..

Soulid_Snake
09-30-2012, 02:23 PM
A pretty well known forum user who has played it confirmed that it will work a bit like in RDR: you can manually aim until your crosshair goes over a target, it will then lock on to that target. If however you move the stick again you can change where on the target you want to aim (or something along those lines). He said that he also tried shooting different body parts and that it caused different effects, he shot one redcoat in the leg and he didn't die (I think he fell!) while he shot another in the head which did kill him instantly.

Thanks for the perfect answer! The aiming system sounds quite similar to GTAIV and Red Dead as you rightly mentioned. This is one of the features AC was lacking, I'm really excited for this game now!:cool:

White24Room
09-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Good news for the bow ! But little disappointed that if you shot the legs the guard doesn't react :(

So I return to my question, R1 is to run ? But what is the button to sprint ?

Mrnilsman
09-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Really ? R1 is to run ? I thought R1 is to sprint

White24Room
09-30-2012, 02:33 PM
In previous game R1-Cross was to sprint, but i hear it has change

Mrnilsman
09-30-2012, 02:37 PM
I know how it was in previous games. As far as i know now you sprint and free run by only holding R1 instead of holding R1-Cross.

Shomu07
09-30-2012, 03:06 PM
So if we just use RT to run and Climb, What about the kills we could use with just RT then? In the previous Games there was a kill for each profile. The kill just with X, The kill with X and RT and then the Kill with RT, X,while Sprinting. How do we use them then?

berserker134
09-30-2012, 03:10 PM
I can deal with THAT. I just couldn't stand the auto aim in the previous 4 games. As a side note, is anybody else disappointed that they implemented a Quick Time system into AC3? It looks so goofy having the button prompts pop up on screen. I HATE QTE's.

i dont know of what you guys R talking about b cuz if i remember correctly you could free aim in the previous games ok EXAMPLE in AC2 when Leonardo gives you the hidden pistol you can ready the gun and if your lucky enough to see a guard in front of you not moving you can shoot him WITHOUT LOCKING ON so theres your free aim smhh :nonchalance: :nonchalance: