PDA

View Full Version : Conflicting information about the size of the frontier...

KrYpToNiC95
09-25-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm sure that all of you know that since the Frontier was revealed we have been constantly told by the devs that it will be 1.5x the size of the entire brotherhood map. However, after watching interviews from the event at Boston yesterday Steve Masters said it was 40% larger in the video that is in the review thread and then in the video below at 2:30 Francois Pelland says it is 2.5x the size of Rome. I know that he could be wrong but do you think that the true size of the frontier has been kept a secret?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtub5s_assassin-s-creed-3-new-gameplay-interview-connor-s-homestead-brotherhood-freerunning-and-more-rev3ga_videogames

BBALive
09-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Nah, it'll be 40-50% larger than Rome.

xXRyzonXx
09-25-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm going to assume it was a slip of the tongue.

ACfan443
09-25-2012, 03:59 PM

I don't like how they're not definitive with game information. First with the spelling of Connor's Native American name, then with the E3 nominations, and now with the size of the frontier. Is it 40% bigger or 50% bigger? Make your mind up Ubi.

Escappa
09-25-2012, 06:31 PM
I don't think it will be 2.5 times bigger, but I sure hope so.

Question about the frontiere to: Will the homestead be counted in the frontiere or will it be it's own map?

HisSpiritLives
09-25-2012, 07:07 PM

It is going to be big either way so i am okay.

Aphex_Tim
09-25-2012, 07:08 PM
I don't think it will be 2.5 times bigger, but I sure hope so.

Question about the frontiere to: Will the homestead be counted in the frontiere or will it be it's own map?

Seeing these gameplay video's it's probably in the frontier map.

Ielgon
09-25-2012, 07:18 PM
The 2.5X as big was probably a mistake made by him used to comparing it to another map (like Florence for example) but since everyone was saying Rome he accidentally said Rome instead of 1.5X Rome or 2.5X Florence. The 40% is probably a rough estimate, it's probably a little bit above causing them to just round it up to 50% bigger (making it 1.5X as big as Rome) to just have a slightly bigger round number to throw around.

Keep in mind that it will actually be bigger than the map itself, since there's also verticality (mountains, trees, etc) coming into play.

The homestead seems to be in the frontier.

I would like to add my own question this about the map size: They've made it so you can quick travel from anywhere to anywhere from the map menu. Seems like a good addition to me but I'm afraid it'll just turn into the Skyrim "quick-travel-everywhere-see-almost-nothing-of-the-game-world-fest". You do probably have to synchronize with a viewpoint though (since the map is completely blank until you do) so you will atleast see part of it. People will probably start complaining that the game is so small because of this (overuse of quick travel), which would be a real shame and probably the fault of a feature that was meant to be convenient but ended up being "overpowered". I'll be running everywhere though and use the quick travel only when I really don't feel like it running, since being immersed in such a lively wonderfully crafted world is amazing and skipping all of that experience would be a waste.

HisSpiritLives
09-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Map from Brotherhood was big and even 1.5 is large so i dont think it is 2.5 because it would be unbeliveble.

Helforsite
09-25-2012, 07:37 PM
In an german Interview with Steve Masters(link will be posted if wanted) he said that you would have sort of tombs with riddles in them to unlock each fast travel point which sounds pretty cool i think.

IceHot100
09-25-2012, 07:58 PM
I think, meant 2.5 of Rome (the city only) and that's maybe 1.5 of the whole brotherhood map?

pacmanate
09-25-2012, 07:58 PM
1.4 to 1.5. Definitely NOT 2.5.

Also, the size of Boston and New York, I have heard devs saying 3:1 ratio and both 1:3. Which one is it?

Ielgon
09-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Also, the size of Boston and New York, I have heard devs saying 3:1 ratio and both 1:3. Which one is it?

Well I don't think they'd make the ingame city three times bigger than it actually was, so I'm guessing it's sized down by 3 (in relation to Connor's size of course).

ACfan443
09-25-2012, 08:03 PM

If it was 3:1 ratio it would be HUGE (three times the proportions of the real map). I'm pretty sure it's built on a 1:3 scale. E.g. on a paper map, 1 cm on the grid represents 3 kilometres of actual distance.
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone :)

pacmanate
09-25-2012, 08:04 PM
If it was 3:1 ratio it would be HUGE (three times the proportions of the map). I'm pretty sure it's built on a 1:3 scale. E.g. on a paper map, 1 cm represents 3 kilometres of actual distance.

I was thinking 1:3..... It amazes me how many of the AC team don't actually know this stuff and get stuff mixed up. It makes fans confused!

ACfan443
09-25-2012, 08:06 PM
I was thinking 1:3..... It amazes me how many of the AC team don't actually know this stuff and get stuff mixed up. It makes fans confused!

Exactly! It's what I said on the first page. But I guess when producing a game this big, you forget/misinterpret those little details

Potato54321
09-25-2012, 08:08 PM
If it was 3:1 ratio it would be HUGE (three times the proportions of the real map). I'm pretty sure it's built on a 1:3 scale. E.g. on a paper map, 1 cm on the grid represents 3 kilometres of actual distance.

No, 1:3 means every centimeter is 3 centimeters of real distance. It means the city is 1/3 the area it was historically.

And the mod of /r/assassinscreed who went to the previews confirmed that the homestead is, in fact, a separate map.

ACfan443
09-25-2012, 08:26 PM
No, 1:3 means every centimeter is 3 centimeters of real distance. It means the city is 1/3 the area it was historically.

And the mod of /r/assassinscreed who went to the previews confirmed that the homestead is, in fact, a separate map.

I wasn't being accurate, I just used kilometres as an example. I was asking to be corrected if I had got the concept wrong.
Anyway, 1 cm on a map wouldnt represent 3 cm in real life? the map would have to be CRAZY huge. I'm sure it would be 1 cm to however many kilometres/miles in real life.

EDIT: I was talking about a paper map (as listed in my example), not the map ingame :P

rileypoole1234
09-25-2012, 08:34 PM
It's 1.5 times the size of Rome. That's what they've always said.

KrYpToNiC95
09-25-2012, 11:22 PM
The Homestead is actually on the edge of the frontier. It's big enough to do missions apparently and has some free-roam area. It has a loading screen between itself and the frontier according to one of the interviews 2 days ago.

AnthonyA85
09-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Yes, from what we've been told, the frontier is 1.5x larger than Rome.

As for boston and new york, they've made the ingame cities 3x larger than they actually were back then, if they'd made them to scale, then new york and boston would be very small. I think it was said that each of the cities would be 20% smaller than rome.

They increased the size of the cities for gameplay reasons.

UbiGabe
09-26-2012, 01:43 AM
The Frontier is 1.5x the size of Rome in AC Brotherhood. So, Steve Masters is still right, because 1.5x = Rome + 50%. I think perhaps François simply misspoke as has been previously stated.

And, no, the Homestead is not included in the size of the Frontier, it is a separate area (and quite large on its own, honestly).

Seriously, you don't need to worry about acreage in this game... it's the biggest AC game we've ever made. And that's not to say that it's "biggest" spatially, but content-wise. The Frontier isn't just enormous, it is also PACKED with stuff to do. I won't go into exactly what kind of stuff (you already know about hunting), but you're going to like it, hehe.

AltairCBM
09-26-2012, 01:53 AM
The Frontier is 1.5x the size of Rome in AC Brotherhood. So, Steve Masters is still right, because 1.5x = Rome + 50%. I think perhaps François simply misspoke as has been previously stated.

And, no, the Homestead is not included in the size of the Frontier, it is a separate area (and quite large on its own, honestly).

Seriously, you don't need to worry about acreage in this game... it's the biggest AC game we've ever made. And that's not to say that it's "biggest" spatially, but content-wise. The Frontier isn't just enormous, it is also PACKED with stuff to do. I won't go into exactly what kind of stuff (you already know about hunting), but you're going to like it, hehe.

This is the first I've heard the Homestead is another map. Is the Caribbean/Eastern Seaboard also another map? Or is it mission-specific sort of like the War Machine missions from Brotherhood?

roostersrule2
09-26-2012, 01:59 AM

Seriously, you don't need to worry about acreage in this game... it's the biggest AC game we've ever made. And that's not to say that it's "biggest" spatially, but content-wise. The Frontier isn't just enormous, it is also PACKED with stuff to do. I won't go into exactly what kind of stuff (you already know about hunting), but you're going to like it, hehe.How big is the homestead compared to the other cities/landscapes.

UbiGabe
09-26-2012, 02:02 AM
This is the first I've heard the Homestead is another map. Is the Caribbean/Eastern Seaboard also another map? Or is it mission-specific sort of like the War Machine missions from Brotherhood?

I am not sure I can answer that just yet... sorry!

KrYpToNiC95
09-26-2012, 02:05 AM

I'm pretty sure they have said that it is free roam so it will be like a map in itself.

UbiGabe
How big is the homestead compared to the other cities/landscapes.

Tough to say since I don't have the measurements in front of me... I mean, it's definitely smaller than the Frontier, but it's still pretty sizable. Probably take a couple minutes to run the entire length (and, keep in mind, Connor is freaking quick when jetting through the trees!).

AltairCBM

It's fine. Thanks for trying though?

AltairCBM
09-26-2012, 02:07 AM
I imagine the Homestead fills up as time goes on, so it has to be pretty sizable.

roostersrule2
09-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Tough to say since I don't have the measurements in front of me... I mean, it's definitely smaller than the Frontier, but it's still pretty sizable. Probably take a couple minutes to run the entire length (and, keep in mind, Connor is freaking quick when jetting through the trees!).Thanks for that.

projectpat06
09-26-2012, 03:21 AM
This must be on the Homestead since Connor's hood is down. I imagine the homestead will be around the size of the forli map in AC2 maybe even bigger.
http://www.evilsourcegaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Assassins-Creed-III-Liberation-6.jpg

AnthonyA85
09-26-2012, 04:10 AM
I too am thinking that the homestead map is AT LEAST Monteriggeoni size, and AT MOST Tuscany or Forli (which ever one was bigger oveerall)

roostersrule2
09-26-2012, 04:47 AM
I too am thinking that the homestead map is AT LEAST Monteriggeoni size, and AT MOST Tuscany or Forli (which ever one was bigger oveerall)Yea this seems like pretty good estimate.

Sabastian_AC
09-26-2012, 05:55 AM

I'm also pretty interested in hearing about the size and composition of the naval maps. Can you at least answer if we have the option to sail around outside the context of a mission?

Not trying to sound demanding or anything, btw! It's really cool that an actual Ubisoft employee comes to the forums to answer / clarify these burning questions!

Paulsifer42
09-26-2012, 06:33 AM
The 2.5X as big was probably a mistake made by him used to comparing it to another map (like Florence for example) but since everyone was saying Rome he accidentally said Rome instead of 1.5X Rome or 2.5X Florence. The 40% is probably a rough estimate, it's probably a little bit above causing them to just round it up to 50% bigger (making it 1.5X as big as Rome) to just have a slightly bigger round number to throw around.

Keep in mind that it will actually be bigger than the map itself, since there's also verticality (mountains, trees, etc) coming into play.

The homestead seems to be in the frontier.

I would like to add my own question this about the map size: They've made it so you can quick travel from anywhere to anywhere from the map menu. Seems like a good addition to me but I'm afraid it'll just turn into the Skyrim "quick-travel-everywhere-see-almost-nothing-of-the-game-world-fest". You do probably have to synchronize with a viewpoint though (since the map is completely blank until you do) so you will atleast see part of it. People will probably start complaining that the game is so small because of this (overuse of quick travel), which would be a real shame and probably the fault of a feature that was meant to be convenient but ended up being "overpowered". I'll be running everywhere though and use the quick travel only when I really don't feel like it running, since being immersed in such a lively wonderfully crafted world is amazing and skipping all of that experience would be a waste.

I hope they somehow put in easter eggs to combat this. The problem with Skyrim is that I don't want to see hours of boring, so I fast travel. I think this will be much the same. If the terrain is interesting and stuff is going on, I'll travel by horse, or on foot instead of fast traveling. If it's the same trees and hills I've already seen, I'll fast travel.

monster_rambo
09-26-2012, 07:15 AM

Based on the comments on the Ubi forums and from the comments made during the interviews, the players are able to free roam the Eastern Seaboard/ Caribbeans. The extent of the ability to free roam at sea is largely unknown, however, there are islands and ports/ docking sites so I'm guessing you can explore inland within realistic limits. I do know the Aquilla, the ship that you own, will be docked next to the Homestead, so it is fairly reasonable to say that you can free roam at sea. Don't quote me on it tho.

Shaxy
09-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Yeah for a very story driven series like Assassins Creed - we are getting a very rich a large play area :D

I believe in Land mass what's been confirmed is

Frontier = 1.5x Rome
Boston = 0.8 Rome
New York = 0.8 Rome
Homestead = Size of Monteriggioni? Maybe a little smaller.
Naval Free roam = ?
And then you have all interior locations and tombs and all that sort of stuff.
Aswell as Desmond gameplay!

Yeah in terms of actual Land mass this game dwarfs AC2

roostersrule2
09-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Yeah for a very story driven series like Assassins Creed - we are getting a very rich a large play area :D

I believe in Land mass what's been confirmed is

Frontier = 1.5x Rome
Boston = 0.8 Rome
New York = 0.8 Rome
Homestead = Size of Monteriggioni? Maybe a little smaller.
Naval Free roam = ?
And then you have all interior locations and tombs and all that sort of stuff.
Aswell as Desmond gameplay!

Yeah in terms of actual Land mass this game dwarfs AC2The homestead will be bigger then Monteriggioni.

Shaxy
09-26-2012, 08:05 AM
The homestead will be bigger then Monteriggioni.

Nice!

KrYpToNiC95
09-26-2012, 08:10 AM
The homestead will be bigger then Monteriggioni.

Definitely, there Is no way that they can have a cliff like the one in the picture above if the area is that small. If it was the size of Forli or San Gimignano I would be very pleased.