PDA

View Full Version : Ezio's Counters in real life?

Ytherian
09-24-2012, 02:20 PM
I am a member of a dutch sports club that practices medieval sword fighting techniques. (www.zwaardkring.nl)

We recently had a talk with our coach and he agreed that it would be nice to do a little workshop on sword techniques used in games.
Since he himself is playing Assassin's Creed 2 at the moment, he would like to focus on the counter movies in the Assassin's creed games.
I own all the assassin's creed games and most of them are Collector's editions, so therefore I also have the encyclopedia. I looked through that but couldn't really find any specifics on fighting techniques. Since Ezio's counters in the games are random (I think) it's hard to pin one down using the games themselves, more so because of the speed in which he executes them.

I've also checked out some youtube video of these moves, but most are too unclear or the angle isn't very good etc.

Could anybody point me in the right direction or maybe have some written and/or visual account of how these counters should be executed? We are mostly looking at the 1 or 2 handed sword fighting techniques, but dagger and/or spear are also very welcome.

blazefp
09-24-2012, 05:56 PM
They aren't quite random, it depends on how the guard attacks. I know nothing of sword fights but his style seems just the most effective on that scenario, nothing too extravagant, just enough to incapacitate your opponent. In ACB and ACR he seems to use more the creativity and surprise factors, not particularly technical or logical blows but more unexpected and thus more effective.
Probably didn't help much but at least kept the thread on top so more people see it :)

Assassin_M
09-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Ezio was probably tutored in Fencing, because Fencing was an Essential part of Italian Noble life at the time..

Ytherian
09-25-2012, 07:47 AM
He does seem to use some basic Lichtenhauer moves . I was just wondering which sources the developers used to choreograph those techniques.

I've already figured one out, at least (the one where Ezio deflects a strike from high left and stabs the attacker in the gut). Most of the moves are very timing sensitive though and during sparring situation you instinctively tend to avoid those (since they're very difficult to perform and if they fail there's no fallback). I'll try to figure out some more and work out the specifics during training Friday.

I'm still kind of hoping on some input from a developer here though.

roostersrule2
09-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Yea all Italian Nobles were taught to fight with there hands and with weapons, he was probably taught an Italian fighting style but remember this is a game, so would he does would be harder then it looks in real life. (I think)