PDA

View Full Version : Just how historically accurate in Assassin's Creed?

mercertheone
09-24-2012, 08:44 AM
First of all, I'm not gonna question the authencity of some of the characters in the game series-- since they are needed for the storyline-- but instead of the design and gameplay representations of the history. I know this is a game and all but after doing some research, I found out some deep aspects of the game just seem completely out of line from the real history which kinda confuses me of the factuality. These don't affect the plot of the game in any way, so way the changes from their real history?
Some of which I'm skeptical of:

1. Were there really buildings and structures back then that were that TALL? I'm talking about specifically about the viewpoints Altair/Ezio climbs up to -- did they even exist?

2. Did the Jannissaries as portrayed in Revelations even wear masks in the first place? I looked up pictures and information on Jannissaries and not a single one has any mention of masks being associated with these elite soldiers. Even the outfits they wear are completely different from the real history's counrerpart. I guess the same can be said for the other soldiers as well.

3. Lastly, of course it's unacceptable for this to be in a game, but factually speaking, did courtesans really appear fully clothed as seen in the games or did they just go bare naked in public back during those times?

Locopells
09-24-2012, 09:20 AM
1 Oh yes - some of them still do.

2. This is probably the closest:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Ataturk_Janissary.jpg

The mask would have been added, so they could just use one model in-game.

3. Not butt naked, but maybe a bit more revealing. They wouldn't have wanted to push the game rating up though.

HisSpiritLives
09-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Those masks make them much cooler.

NOLA_Assassin
09-24-2012, 02:58 PM
The masks were probably more ceremonial.

Locopells
09-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Probably.

Sabastian_AC
09-24-2012, 04:22 PM
1. Were there really buildings and structures back then that were that TALL? I'm talking about specifically about the viewpoints Altair/Ezio climbs up to -- did they even exist?

If you think about it, I don't think that most of the structures are really all that tall....They're maybe like 15 stories tall in the game, but since you're physically climbing it, the building seems a lot taller than it actually is. The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore was probably the tallest structure in ACII, and it's only 300 feet (30 stories) tall. Also, for those of you worrying about a lack of things to climb in ACIII, the main mast of a Ship of the Line was about 200 feet tall, so based on that, I think we'll be fine.