PDA

View Full Version : I would seriously be willing to pay Philip Shahbaz to record Altair's ACR lines

DiamondBlade_R
09-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Seriously, how awesome would that be? I just finished playing through AC1 again the other day, and Cez Anvar is just NOT ALTAIR. I just can't picture Cez Anvar's Altair sitting down to write the codex as I do Shabaz's Altair. Shahbaz's Altair, even though arrogant as hell at the start of the game, sounded focused and calculated enough to make you believe that he actually could rise up to being the wise philosophical mentor he eventually became, given some guidance. Cez Anvar's Altair just doesn't have that vibe. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a he a good enough voice actor and that he did his job on the game by delivering a believable acting performance and bringing his character to life. It's just that the character he brought to life was just... not Altair. Seriously, why did Ubisoft replace Shahbaz?

projectpat06
09-24-2012, 09:15 AM
I liked the original voice actor as well. The new one's voice, although I guess it was more accurate given the accent, just didn't sound as dark, cold, and calculating as I had always pictured Altair. He sounded more cheesy but that's just my opinion.

I like Connor's voice a lot more than ezio's voice and the most recent Altair's voice because of its serious, calculated, "dirty harry" type undertone. It provides the mystery and deadliness that matches an assassin's persona.

DiamondBlade_R
09-24-2012, 09:19 AM
I liked the original voice actor as well. The new one's voice, although I guess it was more accurate given the accent, just didn't sound as dark, cold, and calculating as I had always pictured Altair. He sounded more cheesy but that's just my opinion.
I agree with you, and I'm sure we're not the only ones.

Assassin_M
09-24-2012, 09:47 AM
I agree with you, and I'm sure we're not the only ones.
You`re Not..

And Somebody Answer the Phone.... BECAUSE I ****ING CALLED IT !!!

Locopells
09-24-2012, 09:52 AM
It's weird, because I thought they were going to use him, only doing the right accent.

misterB2001
09-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Im with you on this. I never saw the issue with his voice in the original AC.

But the one in Revelations, despite being a more accurate representation lost all of the sinister cockiness the original voice had.

DiamondBlade_R
09-24-2012, 10:18 AM
What's just as weird, maybe even weirder, is that they didn't cast Nolan North to play Abbas in Revelations (he voiced him in his brief appearance in AC1), even though it wouldn't have been a problem for them to cast him, seeing as how he was still forking with them doing the voice for Desmond.

projectpat06
09-24-2012, 10:18 AM
The new voice was still cocky in a sense. It was just more flamboyantly cocky which is what took away from my vision of Altair as a character. The Altair from AC1 almost remind's me of Wentworth Miller's character, Michael Scofield, from Prison Break. You can tell he's intelligent and deadly, and he only means business.

LightRey
09-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Tbh, I would just mostly like the consistency of having the same VA.

Free_Hidings
09-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Agreed 100%, AC1 Altair was so awesome. The accent he got in ACR was weak too, he had a lisp of some sort which was irritating to listen to. AC1 Altair was brutal, cold, calculating. ACR Altair was still good, but far less intense and intimidating.

Chariflame
09-24-2012, 02:00 PM
I agree. I spoke to Philip Shahbaz at a convention last year, and he was actually hired for his Middle Eastern accent (as that is his ethnicity), but the voice director kept asking him to record with a more "neutral" accent to "make the game more accessible". Philip mentioned that he was excited for a Middle Eastern character to be portrayed in a positive light/main role in a video game, so was a bit disappointed, and understandably so.

So when they hired him based on his accent anyway, I don't like how they didn't go back to him anyway. :(

NOLA_Assassin
09-24-2012, 03:08 PM
I agree, the other thing that annoyed me was Altair hardly spoke Arabic while Niccolo Polo was saying Italian right in front of him.

pacmanate
09-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Nolan North voices everyTHING

ACfan443
09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Altair sounded like a Mexican in ACR. I don't think it would of killed them to ask Shahbaz to redo his voice but with an accent, it would've sounded great

Aphex_Tim
09-24-2012, 03:24 PM
What's just as weird, maybe even weirder, is that they didn't cast Nolan North to play Abbas in Revelations (he voiced him in his brief appearance in AC1), even though it wouldn't have been a problem for them to cast him, seeing as how he was still forking with them doing the voice for Desmond.

It makes sense though. Abbas had a much larger role in ACR than in AC1 so it would be much easier to notice if Nolan voiced him as well, which would feel weird since he also voices Desmond.

freddie_1897
09-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Agreed 100%, AC1 Altair was so awesome. The accent he got in ACR was weak too, he had a lisp of some sort which was irritating to listen to. AC1 Altair was brutal, cold, calculating. ACR Altair was still good, but far less intense and intimidating.
i like consistency, and that is why i agree with this post. but the accent he got in ACR. however weak or lispy, made more sense that an american accent, i couldn't listen to altair in AC1 without being off put by how he spoke with an american accent