PDA

View Full Version : The Frontier and the Sea

Potato54321
09-23-2012, 08:01 PM
So, what's the extents of the frontier? We've seen Conner standing on a glacier, will it extend all the way into Northern Canada?

What about the sea? Will it be free roam, or will we only have small, mission specific areas to go into? If it's free roam, how big will it be? They mentioned that we will be able to sail the Caribbean and in the Chesapeake Bay (at one point they mention that we will participate in the battle there), so will the area be all along the Atlantic Coast?

lothario-da-be
09-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Well the frontier is 1,5x rome and its free-roam. That clacier is probably the northwest passage.So another area ;)

Potato54321
09-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Will the Northwest Passage be a mission specific area like Masyaf in ACR or will we be able to go to it whenever like Cappadocia in ACR?

lothario-da-be
09-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Will the Northwest Passage be a mission specific area like Masyaf in ACR or will we be able to go to it whenever like Cappadocia in ACR?
IF it is nortwest passage its probably 1 or some missions.Like Masyaf and cappadocia.

tjbyrum1
09-23-2012, 08:11 PM
I think the snowy glacier might just be the Frontier in Winter... maybe?

And I heard the entire eastern seaboard will be open to explore, but I can't be sure about that.

Regardless, the ocean and the Frontier are all I want to explore.

Potato54321
09-23-2012, 08:16 PM
I dunno, the glacier doesn't look like any part of Vermont/New Hampshire/Massachusetts/New York I've ever seen, even in Winter.

Similarly, I don't remember that area having so many coniferous trees (and the Frontier is filled with pines for some reason).

monster_rambo
09-23-2012, 09:50 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the glaciers in the Frontier. I don't think anywhere on the eastern coast in United States have these type of landscapes. It looks like somewhere in Northern Canada. Speaking of frontier, I have seen videos where Connor is able to climb branches and some branches bend while others do not. Is there any information if the "bending" thing is going to be is the finalized product. That should add realism to the core gameplay.

Ielgon
09-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Some of the smaller branches, and randomly some other branches will bend a bit while you jump and move on them. This is just an effect to add realism/a detail to freerunning/climbing trees. I don't think you can fall off because of it (it's not a gameplay "mechanic").

rileypoole1234
09-23-2012, 10:50 PM
The Caribbean sea and the entire eastern seaboard are free roam. They also said that there will be many other ships such as merchant ships and Royal Navy ships there all the time.

I think where the glaciers are in some trailers is definitely the Nova Scotia area.

Sabastian_AC
09-24-2012, 01:02 AM
So, what's the extents of the frontier? We've seen Conner standing on a glacier, will it extend all the way into Northern Canada?

What about the sea? Will it be free roam, or will we only have small, mission specific areas to go into? If it's free roam, how big will it be? They mentioned that we will be able to sail the Caribbean and in the Chesapeake Bay (at one point they mention that we will participate in the battle there), so will the area be all along the Atlantic Coast?

There are a number of folks on these boards who are sure that the Eastern Seaboard and Caribbean will be free roam, but I'm still not convinced. The Matt Turner interview from E3 made it sound like we could go off and play Sid Meier's Pirates whenever we wanted: visiting port towns, hunting pirates, upgrading our ship and crew, etc. Steve Masters' interviews from Gamescom, however, made the naval missions sound more like one-off, instanced excursions like the DaVinci machine missions from AC:B.

Honestly I could see it going either way, but if the naval sections are going to be free-roam, then that brings up a lot of questions. For instance, if the whole Eastern Seaboard is open for sailing, then is it also open for docking and exploring? Can we park the ship and free run around the Caribbean Islands that we saw in the demo? If so, how explorable is the land along the Eastern Seaboard? Are there port towns, and if so, how many / how big are they?

xXRyzonXx
09-24-2012, 01:05 AM
You're asking alot of questions, we don't have sure answers to.

monster_rambo
09-24-2012, 02:56 AM
There are a number of folks on these boards who are sure that the Eastern Seaboard and Caribbean will be free roam, but I'm still not convinced. The Matt Turner interview from E3 made it sound like we could go off and play Sid Meier's Pirates whenever we wanted: visiting port towns, hunting pirates, upgrading our ship and crew, etc. Steve Masters' interviews from Gamescom, however, made the naval missions sound more like one-off, instanced excursions like the DaVinci machine missions from AC:B.

Honestly I could see it going either way, but if the naval sections are going to be free-roam, then that brings up a lot of questions. For instance, if the whole Eastern Seaboard is open for sailing, then is it also open for docking and exploring? Can we park the ship and free run around the Caribbean Islands that we saw in the demo? If so, how explorable is the land along the Eastern Seaboard? Are there port towns, and if so, how many / how big are they?

That is a good question, I have heard some people say freeroaming is possible while others say there is no freeroaming in the Caribbeans. From what I know, (SPOILER/ DO NOT READ)

-Is that from (SPOILER/ ACHIEVEMENT): is that you can can upgrade your Aquila ship and something about an island so it is likely there are areas in the Caribbean that you can explore. Besides, Mexico lost mayan ruins is explorable for people with exclusives so I think there are other locations besides Frontier, Boston, and New York that you are able to freeroam.

Assassin_M
09-24-2012, 02:59 AM
We have the Frontier (Rome x1.5) Boston, New York and the Sea..What else you wanna know ? If there was any other location, they`d had told us already..

/Thread

monster_rambo
09-24-2012, 03:03 AM
We have the Frontier (Rome x1.5) Boston, New York and the Sea..What else you wanna know ? If there was any other location, they`d had told us already..

/Thread

Perhaps you are right or it could mean locations that are more linear or less focus and explorable like Romagna/Forli or the Atlas Town in ACR. Mission based locations. I wouldn't get my hopes too high on multiple freeroam locations because that would ruin the experience.

projectpat06
09-24-2012, 03:03 AM
I think it will be limited free roam meaning it won't be seamless between areas obviously. Alex said there will be loading screens between the frontier and cities bc he didn't want it to seem like disneyland. I doubt we will be able to sail the entire eastern seaboard. That would be ridiculous. I'm sure we will be able to out a little bit from each area: Boston, New York, and the Frontier, but there will be loading screens when transitioning between each map. The Caribbean could either be one separate open world map with missions and islands to explore (what I hope), or it could just limited to certain missions/ memories where we can only access the remote islands we've seen in the concept art during those memories. There's conflicting evidence from the development team but the upgrades to ship makes me think more towards the limited open world since it would be dumb to eventually buy all the upgrades then not have any use for them since you've completed all the missions already

Potato54321
09-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Perhaps you are right or it could mean locations that are more linear or less focus and explorable like Romagna/Forli or the Atlas Town in ACR. Mission based locations. I wouldn't get my hopes too high on multiple freeroam locations because that would ruin the experience.

More free roaming locations ruins the experience? *sadface*

Assassin_M
09-24-2012, 03:05 AM
Didn't I say /Thread ?

everybody go home.. Now..There is no such thing as limited free roam. Loading screens between worlds does not make it "Limited" It makes for better performance... Now..../thread:p.

monster_rambo
09-24-2012, 03:09 AM
More free roaming locations ruins the experience? *sadface*

I meant that you shouldn't expect the game to have numerous locations that are going to be completely explorable because if you get your hopes too high and you find out the only places you can visit is Frontier, New York, and Boston; you would undoubtedly be upset with the game because it is not what you are expecting.

Assassin_M
09-24-2012, 03:11 AM
I meant that you shouldn't expect the game to have numerous locations that are going to be completely explorable because if you get your hopes too high and you find out the only places you can visit is Frontier, New York, and Boston; you would undoubtedly be upset with the game because it is not what you are expecting.
Only ? THE only places ? What the hell do you people want ? The Planet earth as a Free roamable world ?

Potato54321
09-24-2012, 03:15 AM
Only ? THE only places ? What the hell do you people want ? The Planet earth as a Free roamable world ?

No, I was just asking about places that we saw footage of but didn't hear about from the devs.

I'd be happy with New York, the Frontier and Boston, but I was just curious....

projectpat06
09-24-2012, 03:17 AM

/Thread

Really if you think about it, we almost get two frontier maps thanks to the snow since it will change up how we play and navigate. Did we know about Forli and Romagna before AC2's release? I know they said they are keeping more things hush hush this go around so maybe the open world water details is one of the things we won't know about until release.

And to monster_rambo, multiple free roam locations won't ruin the experience as long as it's packed with missions and content

monster_rambo
09-24-2012, 03:21 AM

I think people and myself included want the experience that was present in AC2. In AC2, you can freeroam Romagna/Forli, Monteriggioni, Firenze, Venezia, and Toscana. Each city provides a unique experience and is one of the aspects that increase the replay value. In ACB and ACR, there is only one major city that we can explore which was extremely disappointing but understandable giving the tight timeline. In AC3, 3 major locations were announced and the size of the maps are impressive but I'm guessing people want more variety or at least have as much cities as AC2. That's all.

Assassin_M
09-24-2012, 03:21 AM
Did we know about Forli and Romagna before AC2's release?
Uhh yes ?

I think people and myself included want the experience that was present in AC2. In AC2, you can freeroam Romagna/Forli, Monteriggioni, Firenze, Venezia, and Toscana. Each city provides a unique experience and is one of the aspects that increase the replay value. In ACB and ACR, there is only one major city that we can explore which was extremely disappointing but understandable giving the tight timeline. In AC3, 3 major locations were announced and the size of the maps are impressive but I'm guessing people want more variety or at least have as much cities as AC2. That's all.

Think of it..

Frontier(Summer), Frontier(Winter), Boston, New York(Before Great fire), New York (After great fire)

How`s that for Atmosphere ? Even as Stand alones, all these locations are larger than the entire world of AC II

projectpat06
09-24-2012, 03:22 AM
Uhh yes ?

Thanks bud. That's why I was asking you

monster_rambo
09-24-2012, 03:23 AM
Really if you think about it, we almost get two frontier maps thanks to the snow since it will change up how we play and navigate. Did we know about Forli and Romagna before AC2's release? I know they said they are keeping more things hush hush this go around so maybe the open world water details is one of the things we won't know about until release.

And to monster_rambo, multiple free roam locations won't ruin the experience as long as it's packed with missions and content

You are misquoting me. Read my POST above. I said don't have high expectations because you MIGHT get dissapointed. NOT multiple free roam locations ruin experience.

rileypoole1234
09-24-2012, 03:25 AM
I doubt we will be able to sail the entire eastern seaboard. That would be ridiculous. I'm sure we will be able to out a little bit from each area: Boston, New York, and the Frontier, but there will be loading screens when transitioning between each map. The Caribbean could either be one separate open world map with missions and islands to explore (what I hope), or it could just limited to certain missions/ memories where we can only access the remote islands we've seen in the concept art during those memories. There's conflicting evidence from the development team but the upgrades to ship makes me think more towards the limited open world since it would be dumb to eventually buy all the upgrades then not have any use for them since you've completed all the missions already

Alex himself said the eastern seaboard is fully free roamable. That's all he said. There will probably be a loading screen between that and the Caribbean sea. There will obviously be loading screens in between cities, every AC before it has that.

They've also said that there will be other ships to get into battles with, and there will be friendly ships as well.

SPOILERS FROM AC3 ACHIEVEMENT LIST

The achievement list says that there are Privateer contracts to complete whilst free roaming on the sea.

It also mentions Oak Island, which is in Nova Scotia. We may be able to sail straight there. We could go by land, but it'd make sense to sail.

projectpat06
09-24-2012, 03:28 AM
You are misquoting me. Read my POST above. I said don't have high expectations because you MIGHT get dissapointed. NOT multiple free roam locations ruin experience.

I gotcha man. I posted that before I read your last post. Your right about getting your exceptions up too high. This game will still be awesome regardless and like M was saying, I'm not expecting them to let us free roam the world haha. I'll be satisfied with just the frontier, NY, and boston alone. The Naval stuff is just an awesome bonus for me

NewBlade200
09-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Lotsa peps asking about the size

Assassin_M
09-24-2012, 03:30 AM
Thanks bud. That's why I was asking you
Oh.... You were asking ? xD

Apologies, I thought you were giving an example of how they did not say about forli:p

projectpat06
09-24-2012, 03:36 AM
Oh.... You were asking ? xD

Apologies, I thought you were giving an example of how they did not say about forli:p

Yup just asking, I haven't kept up with the pre release info/chats until this game so I didn't know what they kept secret for AC2. I don't typically like being too much of a smart *** on here because most of the time someone can find a way to make you look dumb and prove you wrong. haha

Assassin_M
09-24-2012, 03:40 AM
Yup just asking, I haven't kept up with the pre release info/chats until this game so I didn't know what they kept secret for AC2. I don't typically like being too much of a smart *** on here because most of the time someone can find a way to make you look dumb and prove you wrong. haha
You have much to learn, Grass Hoppa...

You must take risks.. It is what I did, and look at me now.....Sitting behind my computer refreshing a web page for hours..

monster_rambo
09-24-2012, 05:57 AM
Alex himself said the eastern seaboard is fully free roamable. That's all he said. There will probably be a loading screen between that and the Caribbean sea. There will obviously be loading screens in between cities, every AC before it has that.

They've also said that there will be other ships to get into battles with, and there will be friendly ships as well.

SPOILERS FROM AC3 ACHIEVEMENT LIST

The achievement list says that there are Privateer contracts to complete whilst free roaming on the sea.

It also mentions Oak Island, which is in Nova Scotia. We may be able to sail straight there. We could go by land, but it'd make sense to sail.

I woudn't take anything the dev teams say so literally. They said in Revelations there will be side quest throughout the city and there will be frequent encounters with people like "a woman that is pickpocketed and you have to chase after the thief". So what happened? We only encounter a drunk that we have to beat up or pick up boxes for a few hundred Acke. When they say this game will have at least 20-30 hours of gameplay plus 2.5 hours of cinematics and additional gameplay elements that were not revealed, I'm not sure if they are telling the truth, complete exaggeration, or a complete lie. I mean this could all just be a ruse to attract gamers into buying this game by advertising and selling gimmicks when in reality this game is probably not as impressive as they say it is.

tarrero
09-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Uhh yes ?

Think of it..

Frontier(Summer), Frontier(Winter), Boston, New York(Before Great fire), New York (After great fire)

How`s that for Atmosphere ? Even as Stand alones, all these locations are larger than the entire world of AC II

True! And now that you mention it...I guess that it is ikely possibe we wont be able to access the area burned in the great fire until the event is about to happen.