PDA

View Full Version : The Bow?

LeoMessi10i
09-23-2012, 06:57 PM
When using the bow do you guys think we will be able to freely aim it, or will it be locked onto a target as in previous AC games? :nonchalance:

Potato54321
09-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Target locked I think. The gameplay we've seen it appears to zoom into the target and then he shoots instantaneously, which implies that he locks then clicks the shoot button.

LeoMessi10i
09-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah i saw the Boston gameplay, but i hope it might be changed. :D

tjbyrum1
09-23-2012, 07:19 PM
It'd be nice to have a free-aim option.

It looked like he just locked on and shot though. But who's to say you have to lock-on?

I also wonder the same thing about the Pistols... perhaps even a Rifle if you can wield one as a firearm and not just as a melee weapon.

dewgel
09-23-2012, 07:28 PM
I'd assume it's the same as the Crossbow was, with a slight free aim to it. It probably snaps to the nearest target, then you're free to aim around after that.

Ninjahed
09-23-2012, 07:44 PM
He is supposed to be somewhat quick and being native american born I imagine its just dead accurate but Free aim would be nice. Perhaps short lock on range and skillful long range free aiming?

lothario-da-be
09-23-2012, 07:50 PM
I think its confirmed that you will be able too chose between auto-aim and free-aim.

tjbyrum1
09-23-2012, 08:08 PM
So it ought to be free-aim to begin with, and then if you press the LT (lock-on) it's lock-on.

Much like melee combat is.

I believe Ubi took a more 'free' approach to things in this game.

DavisP92
09-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Ubisoft has stated that they aren't trying to make it free-aim because they want the game to give the feeling of being an actual skilled assassin and a skilled assassin doesn't miss. But you can target limbs, so the lock on system is more defined

tjbyrum1
09-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Ubisoft has stated that they aren't trying to make it free-aim because they want the game to give the feeling of being an actual skilled assassin and a skilled assassin doesn't miss. But you can target limbs, so the lock on system is more defined

Meh, yeah I suppose this makes sense.

But then again, what exactly would we need to free-aim for?

Potato54321
09-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Possible target lock and then you can free move the bow around to target specific parts?

DavisP92
09-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Meh, yeah I suppose this makes sense.

But then again, what exactly would we need to free-aim for?

The desire for free-aiming is, for me, the challenge. When you start a game like AC with a free-aim system, where you'd have to hit moving targets and adjust for wind perhaps, it'll take a certain amount of time depending on the gamer to get skilled to the point where they can kill whoever they plan on. That's the only thing i can see as the appeal for free-aim.

Possible target lock and then you can free move the bow around to target specific parts?

I feel like it'll be more like push up for a head shot, right or left for arms, and down for legs.

Potato54321
09-23-2012, 08:58 PM
The desire for free-aiming is, for me, the challenge. When you start a game like AC with a free-aim system, where you'd have to hit moving targets and adjust for wind perhaps, it'll take a certain amount of time depending on the gamer to get skilled to the point where they can kill whoever they plan on. That's the only thing i can see as the appeal for free-aim.

Meh, I feel like that will detract from free running and stealth. After all, it's hard to get into being an awesome assassin if you never get the hang of aiming!

DavisP92
09-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Meh, I feel like that will detract from free running and stealth. After all, it's hard to get into being an awesome assassin if you never get the hang of aiming!

case in point why they aren't doing it

Umbra_Blade
09-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Maybe they took a note out of RDR's book. When you aim down the sights in the general direction of an enemy, you are locked on them, and move automatically with them, wherever they move. If you move the reticule manually though, it enters into free-aiming. That way you get the best of both worlds. If you need to take out enemies quickly, just press the aim and fire button in rapid succession, like RDR, when you need to just cripple an enemy, you aim manually at their leg or something. Doesn't sound too farfetched to me...

tjbyrum1
09-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Maybe they took a note out of RDR's book. When you aim down the sights in the general direction of an enemy, you are locked on them, and move automatically with them, wherever they move. If you move the reticule manually though, it enters into free-aiming. That way you get the best of both worlds. If you need to take out enemies quickly, just press the aim and fire button in rapid succession, like RDR, when you need to just cripple an enemy, you aim manually at their leg or something. Doesn't sound too farfetched to me...

This is the best explanation so far. Ubi did take inspiration from RDR after all (the whole hunting, and explorable frontier aspect).

I'm actually not interested in using the bow for much except for hunting. I don't know... to me I just like killing guards with throwing knives discreetly, then assassinate a target with my hidden blades. In open-combat I prefer hidden blades or daggers.

Subject J80
09-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know if it has been confirmed if we can buy more than one bow?

DavisP92
09-23-2012, 09:42 PM

that is most likely what they are going to do.

Does anyone know if it has been confirmed if we can buy more than one bow?

I doubt we will buy another bow, I think that bow may have some sentimental value to Connor. However I guess we could upgrade the string or something, but I doubt there will be even any upgrades to the bow

Ielgon
09-23-2012, 09:50 PM
The bow is a tool so it seems there'll be no upgrades for it, there might be multiple bows though. It has been said before: Connor's bow probably has sentimental value, and he wouldn't just want to swap it, he's probably the deadliest with this one (the one he's used to).

We will be able to lock on and then quickly shoot to dispatch of multiple targets fast (you can even move while shooting, in the Wii U gameplay you can see he has an animation for walking while shooting). On an italian site a week or so ago we got confirmation that you can also target specific body parts if you want (which seemed obvious before because of the first gameplay teaser trailer we got, but we were just assuming up until then) but there's no real free-aim (atleast not confirmed).

Potato54321
09-23-2012, 09:52 PM
The bow is a tool so it seems there'll be no upgrades for it

String quality, arrow quality, arrow type, arrow shape, handle shape, handle length.

If they made the bow customizable it would be quite awesome.

Ielgon
09-23-2012, 09:54 PM
It would be of course! But would you mess with something you're very attached to that you feel is perfect for you?

Subject J80
09-23-2012, 10:01 PM
String quality, arrow quality, arrow type, arrow shape, handle shape, handle length.

As there is crafting the above would be cool.........

DavisP92
09-23-2012, 10:04 PM
It would be of course! But would you mess with something you're very attached to that you feel is perfect for you?

You could also say would you let something you're attached to, in this case a weapon used to kill, stay in a weakened state (original bow) when you can make it stronger and more efficient. Also the hidden blade had upgrades for Ezio when that was something he was very attached to mainly because it was his father's.

Let's just see what upgrades there are in the game

agreeing with subject, if we can customize the bow to fit our play style or to fit the mission that would be cool. Meaning if we go on a mission where we have to use the bow faster, then a string that allows us to draw the bow faster would be great. Or a stronger string would allow us to shoot farther.

Arrow types could be used with the strong string to shoot through people and what not. etc.

Ielgon
09-23-2012, 10:16 PM
You could also say would you let something you're attached to, in this case a weapon used to kill, stay in a weakened state (original bow) when you can make it stronger and more efficient. Also the hidden blade had upgrades for Ezio when that was something he was very attached to mainly because it was his father's.

Connor seems to be deadly enough without any modifications. :P
Also keep in mind that a bow is something you learn to use and that you get attached to the way it is, if you change it it'll take some getting used to again and you might make it worse for yourself.
I think the bond between a native american and his hunting tools (the bow in this case) goes deeper than some weird mechanical blade you recently got that you're still learning how to use (also a personal bow isn't replaceable, a messed up blade in a mechanism is). I think the "upgrades" for the bow we do get are probably a bigger/easier to use quiver and different arrows, besides that there's not really a lot you can modify about a wooden bow besides the string and ornaments.

You're right in that we'll just have to wait and see, just doesn't seem logical for me to have Connor heavily modify his bow in any way (different bows seems like a bigger possibility than upgrades to me).

rileypoole1234
09-23-2012, 10:21 PM

I sort of disagree. I think Connor's bow will already be the pinnacle of deadliness. You don't need much besides a stick and a piece of string to make an effective bow.

DavisP92
09-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Connor seems to be deadly enough without any modifications. :P
Also keep in mind that a bow is something you learn to use and that you get attached to the way it is, if you change it it'll take some getting used to again and you might make it worse for yourself.
I think the bond between a native american and his hunting tools (the bow in this case) goes deeper than some weird mechanical blade you recently got that you're still learning how to use (also a personal bow isn't replaceable, a messed up blade in a mechanism is). I think the "upgrades" for the bow we do get are probably a bigger/easier to use quiver and different arrows, besides that there's not really a lot you can modify about a wooden bow besides the string and ornaments.

You're right in that we'll just have to wait and see, just doesn't seem logical for me to have Connor heavily modify his bow in any way (different bows seems like a bigger possibility than upgrades to me).

Well i never did say change the wood, i mentioned the string which you did as well. Verifying the concept that they could change the string and arrows of course. Obviously the bow will most likely have a huge sentimental impact on connor, but i mentioned the hidden blade for Ezio. Which had a huge sentimental impact on him, because it was his fathers. If the developers can make Ezio upgrade his father's hidden blade then they can make Connor upgrade the bow (i do wonder how he gets it). It's a pretty simple concept that has already been shown in AC2.

Although in my personal opinion I doubt the bow will have any upgrades other than upgrade the quiver capacity.

I sort of disagree. I think Connor's bow will already be the pinnacle of deadliness. You don't need much besides a stick and a piece of string to make an effective bow.

There is no way for you to really know if a bow is at it's pinnacle of deadliness, you need a strong and flexible piece of wood and a strong string to make a good bow of course. A "stick" would not work at all. As for the arrows which would consist of the bow upgrades, there are many different types of arrow heads that cause different types of damage. If the string has a lighter pull back weight then it would be easier to shoot but most likely cause less damage, while the opposite would cause more damage.

But like i said before, Let's just see what upgrades will be in the game since they actually haven't even shown us any of them. But it's fun to think of different upgrade types. (like will the hidden blade have poison or will it be a blow dart)

rileypoole1234
09-23-2012, 10:49 PM
There is no way for you to really know if a bow is at it's pinnacle of deadliness, you need a strong and flexible piece of wood and a strong string to make a good bow of course. A "stick" would not work at all.

Well obviously I don't literally mean a stick. I just don't really see how Connor could "upgrade" a bow. It's already his bow, there's not much else to do with it.

DavisP92
09-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Well obviously I don't literally mean a stick. I just don't really see how Connor could "upgrade" a bow. It's already his bow, there's not much else to do with it.

Yea I agree, I don't think you can really upgrade the bow. However, if they did find a way it would be interesting. I can see them allowing you to change the string so that the draw back weight would be easier (shooting faster) or increasing it (better distance and power). I wonder is how far can we shoot someone with a bow? Bow's can shoot more than 100 yards accurately. I've seen a guy shoot a bow about 240 yds and still hit the mat, of course not perfectly in the center but that's a still a great feat.

Edit: oh and upgrade they could do is like shooting two arrows at once, or ricochet shots

Sushiglutton
09-23-2012, 11:08 PM
I am hoping for some kind of free aim, but I'm not sure how it will work out. Last thing I heard (in some pod-cast I think) was that they were still tweaking the aiming. Well that's obv not true anymore as the game is finished. Especially the hunting I feel would be a bit pointless without free-aim. I mean just walk up on an animal and press a button doesn't feel like an acomplishment. It would also be cool to shoot really long shots. And perhaps shot arrows on a wall that you can climb on, or something like that. If the bow is just click-to-kill that is ok also. Focus in AC is not challenge for me, but more the atmosphere and style etc.

Soulid_Snake
09-23-2012, 11:27 PM
When using the bow do you guys think we will be able to freely aim it, or will it be locked onto a target as in previous AC games? :nonchalance:

I was gonna ask this as well, I hope so, the game needs a bit more skill. It is target locked because in the Frontier demo, the reticle snaps onto the Dear, before Connor even takes out his bow.

AssassinZ7
09-24-2012, 12:35 AM
I think its confirmed that you will be able too chose between auto-aim and free-aim.

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!! YEAH!! ihate having to lock-on it is noce to move it yourself you know? its great we have both for those moments when u just gotta shoot n run ya know?;)

xXRyzonXx
09-24-2012, 12:41 AM

I'm pretty sure such a thing was never confirmed.

Soulid_Snake
09-24-2012, 01:30 AM
"Ubisoft reveals that they're still unsure if auto-aim for the bow and arrow will be implemented or not. This is something that continued playtesting will answer as they near release. "

Source: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/7780/article/ubisoft-reveals-assassin-s-creed-3-info-on-love-interest-weapons-and-more/

I'm not so sure now, is it me or does it look like the Boston demo's got shoulder switching? If it is the case, AC3 could have free aim!;)
I hope Ubi will make the right choice for once.

See 5:03: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT8kOn1c_FU&feature=related