PDA

View Full Version : Non-Essential Essential Missions

tjbyrum1
09-21-2012, 07:17 PM
That may sound confusing but I'll explain. Non-Essential, as in offering nothing to the player, and Essential, as in required. So basically, missions that are required that doesn't really mean much.

I didn't see this trend until ACII, but it got worse. It's those missions that have nothing to do with Assassin's Creed, and is just completely devoid to what we want to see. I understand a lot of people like them, as it can be a nice change in pace and all, but I feel they should just do away with them entirely or leave them as side-quests.

Taking flowers across town. Picking flowers for a woman. Catching a runaway horse. Just stuff like that. It just feels... disconnected... like a side-quest. I prefer the constant movement of action, stealth, suspense, and eagerness in my Assassin's Creed storylines.

So do you think AC3 should/will be action-paced, and remove all the non-essential main quests we've had in the past? Or do you think we'll have them still?

Locopells
09-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Probably. They do like to show that the main character is human, after all.

Slayer_WTF
09-21-2012, 07:21 PM
I understand what you mean. This thing I have noticed a lot of Brotherhood.

Having had 2 years to develop the game, I think they have created the missions much more substantial and treated than in the past.

Assassin_M
09-21-2012, 07:23 PM
People complain "HURR DURR ALL WE DO IS KILL ALL THE TIME HURRRRRRRR"

Nah.. Leave those there...they`re fun... Not as fun as slicing and dicing, but its another side to the Protagonist other than the Killing machine side, Like Loco said..

tjbyrum1
09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah... I get what you mean.

Assassin_M
09-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah... I get what you mean.
I do respect your Opinion, though..

I can understand you seeing those as distractions from the main attractions (Im just so good at rhyming) think of it as a part of some complex form of Character Development, because if all they showed was him killing guys then that shows poor Character evolution... Like Altair in AC I..

tjbyrum1
09-21-2012, 07:48 PM
I do respect your Opinion, though..

I can understand you seeing those as distractions from the main attractions (Im just so good at rhyming) think of it as a part of some complex form of Character Development, because if all they showed was him killing guys then that shows poor Character evolution... Like Altair in AC I..

Lol, it's funny because I liked Altair.

Yeah... now that I think about it, I did like these kind of missions in Red Dead. Herding cattle, wrangling horses, etc. They were fun, and it made John appear like a honest and good man. They were good side-quests, a nice change in pace from shooting at bandits and outlaws, and occasionally, innocents. But for some reason, I don't feel the same way about AC.

Assassin_M
09-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Lol, it's funny because I liked Altair.

Yeah... now that I think about it, I did like these kind of missions in Red Dead. Herding cattle, wrangling horses, etc. They were fun, and it made John appear like a honest and good man. They were good side-quests, a nice change in pace from shooting at bandits and outlaws, and occasionally, innocents. But for some reason, I don't feel the same way about AC.
We all liked Altair, we saw him as some greatly missed Potential for an Awesome Character, but then we got Ezio..
These fall in the same Category, sure, but the "Fun" factor is present in Red dead more so than it was in AC II or ACR.

The Diversity and fun of cattle herding is so much more than getting Flowers for example, if they can somehow make it as fun and varied as red dead then they just hit the right button

tjbyrum1
09-21-2012, 08:01 PM
We all liked Altair, we saw him as some greatly missed Potential for an Awesome Character, but then we got Ezio..
These fall in the same Category, sure, but the "Fun" factor is present in Red dead more so than it was in AC II or ACR.

The Diversity and fun of cattle herding is so much more than getting Flowers for example, if they can somehow make it as fun and varied as red dead then they just hit the right button

I completely agree Assassin_M.

I like Altair cause he's a cold-blooded killer, and because he's the 'original'... you know what I mean? I always like originals.

Assassin_M
09-21-2012, 08:07 PM

I like Altair cause he's a cold-blooded killer, and because he's the 'original'... you know what I mean? I always like originals.
ACR is my favorite game because of Altair. The way they revived him was crap, but It was fun to finally feel and watch Altair`s Struggles as a Young Assassin and finally as a very Old Leader. AC I is the dearest game to me in the series.

I completely agree with you..

pacmanate
09-21-2012, 08:13 PM
I agree with OP, its these missions that decrease replay value.

De Filosoof
09-21-2012, 09:04 PM
I don't agree with the OP. I like those kinda missions.

doogsy91
09-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Agreed!!!!!

Locopells
09-22-2012, 01:22 AM

Don't tell the Hitman guys that...

TheDanteEX
09-22-2012, 02:23 AM
These types of mission usually do have a point. In AC2, the impact of the Auditore's deaths are greater after spending time with them as Ezio. In Brotherhood, the missions at the beginning showed how the rest of Ezio's life would be calm and relaxing, which makes the contradiction a few moments later more intense. In Revelations, all the Sofia memories could be done whenever you wanted in the sequence (Is this correct?), but they were to develop the relationship between her and Ezio. If they showed very little interaction between these characters, there's a high chance of complaints that two people fell in love for absolutely no reason. Ezio's reaction to Ahmet's threat would seem a little over the top.

I know there's a ton of people that don't prefer story over gameplay, but I believe Ezio's games do a fair job balancing both.

tjbyrum1
09-22-2012, 02:27 AM
These types of mission usually do have a point. In AC2, the impact of the Auditore's deaths are greater after spending time with them as Ezio. In Brotherhood, the missions at the beginning showed how the rest of Ezio's life would be calm and relaxing, which makes the contradiction a few moments later more intense. In Revelations, all the Sofia memories could be done whenever you wanted in the sequence (Is this correct?), but they were to develop the relationship between her and Ezio. If they showed very little interaction between these characters, there's a high chance of complaints that two people fell in love for absolutely no reason. Ezio's reaction to Ahmet's threat would seem a little over the top.

I know there's a ton of people that don't prefer story over gameplay, but I believe Ezio's games do a fair job balancing both.

I do prefer gameplay over story, but those are 1st and then 2nd in my book, nothing else tops those.

For one, I want to be playing a game I can enjoy playing (gameplay). If I enjoy playing it, I at least want an interesting reason to play it (storyline). I also prefer having a variey of side-quests to have a lasting appeal and that 'never-ends' feel to it. And at last, graphics, the last thing I look for... but then again, I'd rather be looking at something pretty than four very large pixels on the screen.

masterfenix2009
09-22-2012, 03:31 AM
I really like those missions. Brings great character development.

roostersrule2
09-22-2012, 04:33 AM
I do prefer gameplay over story, but those are 1st and then 2nd in my book, nothing else tops those.

For one, I want to be playing a game I can enjoy playing (gameplay). If I enjoy playing it, I at least want an interesting reason to play it (storyline). I also prefer having a variey of side-quests to have a lasting appeal and that 'never-ends' feel to it. And at last, graphics, the last thing I look for... but then again, I'd rather be looking at something pretty than four very large pixels on the screen.It's funny how you say graphics is the last thing a game needs yet according to your sig the only reason Ezio is better then Altair is because he has better graphics.

P.S.- I know your sig is a joke.

Assassin_M
09-22-2012, 04:35 AM
It's funny how you say graphics is the last thing a game needs yet according to your sig the only reason Ezio is better then Altair is because he has better graphics.

P.S.- I know your sig is a joke.
Sooo Its funny... because its a joke.. or err.... is the joke funny.... or is that the.... Joke ?

roostersrule2
09-22-2012, 06:13 AM
Sooo Its funny... because its a joke.. or err.... is the joke funny.... or is that the.... Joke ?I have no idea what you just said?

Assassin_M
09-22-2012, 06:22 AM
I have no idea what you just said?
Im looking back at it and im thinking the same..

Ok how about... What is funny about the sig ?:) I think that works..

roostersrule2
09-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Im looking back at it and im thinking the same..

Ok how about... What is funny about the sig ?:) I think that works..The fact that post says graphics basically don't matter yet the only reason Ezio is better then Altair is the graphics not the story or gameplay which he prefers more then the graphics. Anyway I know that the sig is not his actual opinion I just wanted to point out the irony.

Assassin_M
09-22-2012, 06:35 AM
The fact that post says graphics basically don't matter yet the only reason Ezio is better then Altair is the graphics not the story or gameplay which he prefers more then the graphics. Anyway I know that the sig is not his actual opinion I just wanted to point out the irony.
Oh yeah... ok..

I just thought it was weird, since you said that you knew it was a joke:p

projectpat06
09-22-2012, 09:56 AM
but the "Fun" factor is present in Red dead more so than it was in AC II or ACR.

The Cattle Herding was also fun because we got to actually herd cattle. Let's face it, not too many of us will ever get be like in city slickers and do a cattle drive in real life. It was something we never got to experience in a game before and that's what made Red Dead Special. If AC3 can do the same and allow you to actually feel like you're reliving the American Revolution with the main missions and side missions, then it has done its job. I can pick flowers for a cute girl any day so it's stuff I can't really do everyday or at all that brings about the fun factor in games. I mean even just finding random joker trophies in Batman AC could seem dull, but I got to feel like Batman so it was awesome

roostersrule2
09-22-2012, 10:01 AM
I liked the cattle herding with Jack and the one with the storm but other then those two I hated it along with the horse breaking.