PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed III Preview

hmizou15
09-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Assassin's Creed III Preview

As impressive as Assassin's Creed II was, Assassin's Creed III promises to be even bigger. It is in fact one of the largest games produced by Ubisoft, dwarfing even Assassin's Creed II, which previously held the Ubisoft title for largest game. Just how big is this new edition? To put it into context, just one of the maps in this new version is one-and-a-half times the size of the entire Assassin's Creed II.

AC III also marks a point of departure from the previous versions in that it marks the end of Ezio, who gives way to a new assassin named Connor. Half Native American and half British, Connor is ideally suited for the action in AC III, which is set in the American Revolution.

Game engine
Much of the impressiveness of this game is due to Ubisoft's specially designed game engine called Anvil Next. With this groundbreaking piece of code, AC III comes to life with breathtaking landscapes and terrain jam-packed with armies, townspeople, and animals that really add a lot to the game's excitement level. The landscapes are particularly impressive, covering Frontier, Boston and New York, each of which is made all the more remarkable with superb weather effects that can change at the drop of a hat. The game also features a seasonal weather system that allows you to play in snow covered terrain in the winter and lush greenery in the summer.

As impressive as the landscapes are, what will really grab the attention of players is the gameplay. The game engine also provides Connor with a superb skillset and numerous creative ways to interact with the various environments and its inhabitants. With literally thousands of animated actions, all exquisitely designed for maximum action and entertainment appeal, the game play is one of the best examples of the state-of-the-art in gaming technology today.

Features
One other new feature is the bartering system that allows Connor a great deal of flexibility with regard to upgrading his weapons and clothing. In this version of Assassin's Creed, Connor has the option to hunt for game and trade the pelts for wardrobe and weapons enhancements. Of course armor is not an available option owing to the time period of the game, but Connor does have access to a tomahawk, pistols, a sword, a bow, a rope dart, and a handy new blade that remains concealed much of the time. Of these weapons, the rope dart is particularly impressive, allowing Connor to shoot at an enemy from a tree branch and rappel down with the same rope, thus lifting up the enemy and effectively strangling him.

Also new in this version is the "stalking" feature, which is simply a new way of hiding. This maneuver is particularly useful in the Frontier terrain, since it allows Connor to hide in the shrubbery and grass before making his move. It also allows Connor to peep around corners, and place his back to the wall, among other new maneuvers.

Gameplay
This version provides many opportunities for Connor to amass weapons or to earn funds with a gameplay more like an RPG than the previous versions of the game. There are numerous side missions to choose from, and you can spend hours and hours in the towns, villages and outposts without even having to get into the main storyline action.

In terms of action, the previous version of the game had the main character Ezio performing almost acrobatic maneuvers throughout much of the rounds. All subtlety and artistry is left out in this version however, and Connor's action style is more aptly described as "action-packed". The pace is quite harrowing at times, and at any given stage, Connor may take out an opponent, pick up a weapon, and pick off several more baddies all in a single maneuver. The fast paced action is particularly impressive in the Boston mission, where Connor may first launch a decoy, spring out from around a corner, and finally, set off several lethal blows.

Conclusion
Although this game is noticeably more advanced than the previous versions, it isn't exactly easy to judge how it measures up as the next installment in the series. With all the added features and capabilities, Assassin's Creed III almost feels like an entirely new game rather than the new addition to the Assassin's Creed fold. More than holding its own when it comes to gameplay action, the only thing left to determine is whether this storyline is as compelling as the ones in the previous versions.

source:http://gamertests.blogspot.com/2012/09/assassins-creed-iii-preview.html

Poodle_of_Doom
09-21-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the information. It's been discussed in large though. Welcome to the forums....

MetalCreed
09-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Nice, hearing new things about the economy and the clothing and such.

I'm still wondering what the big other 2 secrets of AC3 are

monster_rambo
09-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Impressive information but nothing brand new. As we have seen in Assassin's Creed Liberation, we have seen Aveline de Grandpre diving underwater and I can't help but wonder if the same features are going to be transposed into the Assassin's Creed 3 gameplay.

I know I might get bashed for this, but so far we have seen 3 major locations and they are: the Frontier, Boston, and New York. We know Philadelphia is going to be a linear gameplay so I'm asking are there going to be other locations that still remain disclosed behind closed doors? I'm not sure if this is true but i heard you can free roam in the Carribeans so hopefully it will add more variety in the gameplay. In Assassin's Creed 2, there are numerous locations and each city had a different vibe and experience compared to another. The size of Assassin's Creed 3 is impressive but I hope it lives up to the expectations.

And sorry if this is dragging too long, I'm not bashing at the unreleased game and I'm a new comer to forums so please forgive me.

HorTyS
09-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Impressive information but nothing brand new. As we have seen in Assassin's Creed Liberation, we have seen Aveline de Grandpre diving underwater and I can't help but wonder if the same features are going to be transposed into the Assassin's Creed 3 gameplay.

I know I might get bashed for this, but so far we have seen 3 major locations and they are: the Frontier, Boston, and New York. We know Philadelphia is going to be a linear gameplay so I'm asking are there going to be other locations that still remain disclosed behind closed doors? I'm not sure if this is true but i heard you can free roam in the Carribeans so hopefully it will add more variety in the gameplay. In Assassin's Creed 2, there are numerous locations and each city had a different vibe and experience compared to another. The size of Assassin's Creed 3 is impressive but I hope it lives up to the expectations.

And sorry if this is dragging too long, I'm not bashing at the unreleased game and I'm a new comer to forums so please forgive me.

So long as people don't let their imaginations get out of hand, living up to expectations shouldn't be too much of a challenge considering what we know of the game's scale. The article linked in the OP is a bit inaccurate in that regard as it claims AC3's frontier is 1.5x bigger than all of AC2, when I believe the quote on that is that it's 1.5x bigger than Rome in ACB...

To put it into context, just one of the maps in this new version is one-and-a-half times the size of the entire Assassin's Creed II. (http://gamertests.blogspot.com/2012/09/assassins-creed-iii-preview.html)

^
That is an inaccurate statement to my knowledge...

roostersrule2
09-21-2012, 08:06 AM
So long as people don't let their imaginations get out of hand, living up to expectations shouldn't be too much of a challenge considering what we know of the game's scale. The article linked in the OP is a bit inaccurate in that regard as it claims AC3's frontier is 1.5x bigger than all of AC2, when I believe the quote on that is that it's 1.5x bigger than Rome in ACB...

^
That is an inaccurate statement to my knowledge...The frontier probably would be bigger then all AC2 maps combined though but not 1.5x them.

pacmanate
09-21-2012, 09:59 AM
1.5x the size of ROME

Poodle_of_Doom
09-22-2012, 04:57 AM
1.5x the size of ROME

This sounds about right.

monster_rambo
09-22-2012, 05:17 AM
can anyone plz answer this: will connor be able to dive underwater like aveline?

Assassin_M
09-22-2012, 05:18 AM
can anyone plz answer this: will connor be able to dive underwater like aveline?
We do not know.

roostersrule2
09-22-2012, 05:53 AM
can anyone plz answer this: will connor be able to dive underwater like aveline?At 5:58 on the IGN making of AC3 video it gives you the option to dive, I'm not sure if that means you can dive like Ezio did or like Aveline does.

Free_Hidings
09-22-2012, 08:43 AM
At 5:58 on the IGN making of AC3 video it gives you the option to dive, I'm not sure if that means you can dive like Ezio did or like Aveline does.

I imagine such a feature would be advertised. Diving properly would mean creating a whole underwater 3D "universe" (lol) to explore, I would think it's a fairly significant undertaking. I could be wrong.