PDA

View Full Version : The Scale Of the Multi-Player Problem

Hoak
09-20-2012, 12:58 PM
As paying Customers we will likely never know exactly how many units of GR:FS (PC) sold; but just doing some crude estimates based on worst case scenarios paints a very ugly picture of just how bad GR:FS listen server lash-up is and the connectivity issues are.

Assume for a moment GR:FS (PC) was an epic sales failure selling only 100,000 units globally (most bargain bin games that are never advertised sell better then this), which would mean that at most 1% that bought the game (1000 players) are ever playing online. In fact, the game probably sold much better then this and the daily average of Players online playing GR:FS (PC) is typically < 500, well below 1%...

Granted players online at any given moment or even an average is going to only be a small percentage of people that bought the game; but in the case of GR:FS the numbers are abysmal -- and this isn't because people don't like the game, it's because they can not connect or stay connected to play the game due to the onerous console based listen server and match making system strapped to the game.

Any way the numbers are fluffed the game's online play share was horrible from get-go and has only gotten worse; the connectivity issues, onerous router setup requirements, MMS, and listen server with host-migration has never played well on PC and for reasons are well understood it can't.

It warrants mention that the YETI engine is Unreal Engine 2.5 at its core and already has a stand-alone dedicated server that's well proven, inexpensive, easy to configure and deploy, and would be the answer to more then half of all our prayers -- but that's probably not going to happen, even though Mod Developers have been doing it with more ambitious total conversions then GR:FS for over a decade...

A listen server based MP game that's 'managed' by an MMS is never going to work well for PC games or Gamers; it can't there are far too many technical limitations and obstacles -- but we have a worst case here where the GR:FS MMS won't even let most of us connect or stay connected to games -- this much is literally broken and can be fixed...

I however would pay extra for a stand-alone dedicated server, and would prefer it and pay more for it (as would most PC gamers that understand the infrastructure and like the game) then any DLC before that was offered, just so I could play the other half of the game I already paid for... Does anyone at Ubisoft even realize the magnitude of the problem?

:(

JOHNMCLAY
09-20-2012, 01:49 PM
I hope Ubisoft do realise this and that they're able to do something about it (I'm thinking that the port is just too broken and no patch will be able to fix it).

I did play the multiplayer when it first came out (to get my Uplay points), but even though it was **** awesome when I actually was able to play a match, I just couldn't stand the ol' 'connection to server lost' error ALL THE **** TIME! So I haven't, and will not play multiplayer again...unless by some miracle they're able to resolve the game's issues!

RealZeroIce
09-20-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm sure if Ubisoft were going to do something about it they would have released a fix for the multiplayer problem a long time ago. I have completely lost interest in GR:FS and doubt that I will ever play it again. I'm also considering not to buy the new AC3 or FC3. I have lost complete faith in Ubisoft and the quality of the games they release.

Rayline
09-21-2012, 10:40 AM
How can you even consider whether to buy AC3/FC3? Do NEVER buy anything from a company that treats customers this way.

Aethiuss
09-21-2012, 11:39 AM
lol, my preordering days with ubisoft are ooooveeerr :D

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
09-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi guys, sorry to hear you are suffering issues. Please be aware of the two upcoming title updates, information here http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/714128-Update-September-21-Next-Title-Updates-and-Additional-Content

Major__Motoko
09-22-2012, 12:41 PM
It warrants mention that the YETI engine is Unreal Engine 2.5 at its core

YETI is a proprietary, internal Ubisoft engine, not based on Unreal technology. You probably got it confused with LEAD, which was used for Splinter Cell titles since Chaos Theory, before they stopped calling it 'a heavily modified Unreal 2.x'.
Your point should have been "It has been proven by Ghost Recon Online that using the dedicated server system is not only possible but succesful with this engine"

Aethiuss
09-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi guys, sorry to hear you are suffering issues. Please be aware of the two upcoming title updates, information here http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/714128-Update-September-21-Next-Title-Updates-and-Additional-Content

thanks, I hope 1.5 fixes online problems.

John-Honey2012
09-22-2012, 04:56 PM
It is only sold to retailers, I think.

Hoak
09-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Still very vague as far as what's fixed; in fact there's no explcit commitment to work being done to address specific issues; like the fact that what appears to be more then 90% of the people that bought the game being unable to even play it online, at all...

:(

RealZeroIce
09-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Well as it is I have removed GR from my pc and might only reconsider installing it again once I have seen enough positive feedback on the mp gameplay ......... that might never happen. @Rayline: I did not preorder ac3 nor fc3 and will not buy any game until Ubisoft gets their act together and starts treating their customers better. (I'd still prefer a refund for GR but we all know Ubisoft don't care)

Hoak
09-27-2012, 11:31 AM
YETI is a proprietary, internal Ubisoft engine, not based on Unreal technology.
Not according to several Ubisoft Representatives or the article Ubisoft posted to Wikipeida (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YETI_engine)...

You probably got it confused with LEAD...
No.

Your point should have been "It has been proven by Ghost Recon Online that using the dedicated server system is not only possible but succesful with this engine"
No. My point is, that no FPS/TPS of this genre on PC has ever been successful with an MMS, in fact very few PC realism titles that have rolled with MMS and listen servers even broke even. Second if Ubisoft is telling the truth, and YETI is essentially Unreal 2.5 with a more modern render backplane; rolling SADS, a Sever Browser and even an MDK under it is not only inexpensive but quite easy.

Of course Ubisoft could be 'confused' about their engines and the representations they make.

:nonchalance:

Major__Motoko
08-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Not according to several Ubisoft Representatives or the article Ubisoft posted to Wikipeida (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YETI_engine)...

umm. where? Don't quote wikipedia in a discussion

fantomaxis
08-18-2013, 01:40 PM
umm. where? Don't quote wikipedia in a discussion

Back from the dead... did it take you that long to find the reply button??? :p

Major__Motoko
11-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Back from the dead... did it take you that long to find the reply button??? :p
Haha, I rarely recheck my old posts. And yeah, my info is still valid ;)