PDA

View Full Version : "Over 24 species of animals in AC3, entire hunting loop you can engage in"

Free_Hidings
09-20-2012, 03:33 AM
Basically go watch Inside Assasin's Creed 3 Episode 4.

SO AMPED FOR THIS GAME!

Won't post video here because there's a thread for it,

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/710198-Dedicated-AC3-Inside-Making-Assassin-s-Creed-Video-Series

Sounds like the Frontier is going to be awesome, I really hope we can observe animals stalking each other etc, if there are 24+ species then there is much potential!

Animals seen so far: Cats, horses, dogs, pigs, bears, deer(?), some kind of giant cat (leopard / cheetah / mountain lion? or something else, not sure)

The video shows more of the cities, nice footage of the Frontier (looks vast and detailed) and Naval gameplay too, everything just looks incredible

DavisP92
09-20-2012, 03:38 AM
wolves, rabbits, foxes, B3avers, hawks

CalgaryJay
09-20-2012, 03:46 AM
Ya seeing as its in the northeast, I'd have to wager those are cougars/mountain lions (same thing). Hunting/the Frontier is definitely what I'm most excited for, as a huge fan of RDR. Very interested to see how it holds up in that regard. I know the Frontier is only going to be a fraction the size of the RDR map, but I just mean in terms of appearance, as well as animals.

I'm also curious what the 24 species will be. So far we know: cats, horses, dogs, pigs, bears, deer, moose, cougar, eagles, wolves...other likely candidates would probably be rabbits, b eavers (dang language filter), owls, crows/hawks/songbird/some other type of bird I'm sure, fox, squirrels?...should be fun.

MetalCreed
09-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Not as many as RDR?

CalgaryJay
09-20-2012, 04:01 AM
You also gotta remember all the different geographical areas RDR took place in, many with their own unique animals. If you're looking at just the West Elizabeth area, which is the closest you'll probably get to AC3's setting, I bet the animals found there would be about the same as you'll find in AC, if not even a bit less than AC.

anik_lc
09-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Far Cry 3 has hundreads of animals!

Free_Hidings
09-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Lol at Bee vers being censored.

Well TBH I was only expecting like... 1 or 2 carnivores (bear and mountain lion) 1 or two cattle type animals (deer and something similar.. Buffalo?) and then just birds and city animals like dogs and horses, was surprised to see a cat and pig, that's pretty cool. Hopefully there are a few more quirky animals that aren't just decoration (If they have 12 species of birds... lame) Would be cool to have monkeys! But way too much work haha

HorTyS
09-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Lol at Bee vers being censored.

Well TBH I was only expecting like... 1 or 2 carnivores (bear and mountain lion) 1 or two cattle type animals (deer and something similar.. Buffalo?) and then just birds and city animals like dogs and horses, was surprised to see a cat and pig, that's pretty cool. Hopefully there are a few more quirky animals that aren't just decoration (If they have 12 species of birds... lame) Would be cool to have monkeys! But way too much work haha

I don't think the amount of work it'd require was a determining factor as to whether or not to include it in the recreation of Northeastern territories in the US haha. Elk though is one that I haven't seen listed.

NOLA_Assassin
09-20-2012, 08:34 AM
It'll be a different hunting experience than in RDR with tracking and kills are more difficult and you must factor in weather.

Off topic: everyone does know why b3aver is censored, right?

Moultonborough
09-20-2012, 08:42 AM
There are no more Mountain Lions in NE. I doubt if there was many back then as well. Mountain Lions are/were found more Southwest in the country and somewhat Northwest.

HorTyS
09-20-2012, 09:49 AM
There are no more Mountain Lions in NE. I doubt if there was many back then as well. Mountain Lions are/were found more Southwest in the country and somewhat Northwest.

Mountain Lions are a highly adaptable animal. If there aren't many/ any left in the northeast it's due to the growth in population and humans moving in / forcing them out. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to think they inhabited the area in the 1700's.

"the cougar is found in every major American habitat type."

This is a map of known cougar ranges, though the northeast is an area with a reduced population, there is still some population there...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/Cougar_range_map_2010.png/220px-Cougar_range_map_2010.png (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/Cougar_range_map_2010.png/220px-Cougar_range_map_2010.png)

NEURON BOMB
09-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Just think how awesome it would be,Say your are climbing trees and you go sit on a branch or you stand in between of those V shaped branches for a while and an eagle lands on the branch next to you,And just watches and when you jump off,It does that eagle call(sorry i don't know what it is called)and flies away.Don't know about you but i think it would be awesome.

Locopells
09-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Ya seeing as its in the northeast, I'd have to wager those are cougars/mountain lions (same thing). Hunting/the Frontier is definitely what I'm most excited for, as a huge fan of RDR. Very interested to see how it holds up in that regard. I know the Frontier is only going to be a fraction the size of the RDR map, but I just mean in terms of appearance, as well as animals.

I'm also curious what the 24 species will be. So far we know: cats, horses, dogs, pigs, bears, deer, moose, cougar, eagles, wolves...other likely candidates would probably be rabbits, b eavers (dang language filter), owls, crows/hawks/songbird/some other type of bird I'm sure, fox, squirrels?...should be fun.

There are rats as well.

SaintPerkele
09-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Foxes, rabbits and be.avers are confirmed too ;)

Legendz54
09-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Moose are going to be in AC3 too.

http://cdn2.arkive.org/media/BB/BBD960CC-9414-4529-BC5D-DAE6376CBA32/Presentation.Large/Moose-bull-feeding-beginning-to-shed-antler-velvet.jpg

Locopells
09-20-2012, 12:33 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8JaVTC_sSN0/TsHQpBLcIEI/AAAAAAAACS0/2NElCcwL8Gg/s1600/vlcsnap-1351231.png

CalgaryJay
09-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Wow that moose in that pic has got some stories I'm sure, look at that one antler there. Wonder if that's from self defence (considering the fur "webbing" or whatever you call it has been torn away), or if he just impaled some poor creature. Either way, what a warrior.

And someone mentioned elk a few posts up. I remember elk being in RDR but no moose, so when I saw moose confirmed, along with deer, I just assumed that'd be it for big game prey. That'd pe pretty cool if there were all 3 though, hadn't really thought of that. I'd rather a big chunk of the 24 be on stuff like that, as opposed to 5 different types of small birds..

RatonhnhakeFan
09-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Moose! <333

Legendz54
09-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Bobcats are also confirmed, These guys will probably be hard to spot or trap.

http://ontfin.com/Word/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/bobcat.jpg

Locopells
09-20-2012, 02:04 PM
http://gamewiki.net/wiki/images/6/61/Bobcat.jpg

OK, I'm gonna stop now...

CalgaryJay
09-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Haha apologies for me keep bringing it back to RDR, but bobcats in that game were extremely hard to hunt, arguably the stealthiest of any animal in that game. It was the only animal I recall where even using the auto aim wouldn't lock on to it, the only way I could do it was through dead eye. I expect them to be as elusive (with pelts as valuable) in AC.

Cool to see how much wildlife is in AC, I wonder if they'll be as crazy aggressive as RDR. Hell a p'd off moose in real life will charge you, so I'm sure it will here too.

CalgaryJay
09-21-2012, 06:10 AM
Another one I just noticed on an artist's rendering when re-watching Inside AC3 part 4 that wasn't mentioned in this thread yet (not that its a big game one or anything): raccoons.

DinoSteve1
09-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Will there be Badgers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI)

monster_rambo
09-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Hopefully there will be some extremely rare animals that offers an incredible challenge in the game. Remember in Assassin's Creed II, there was this Assassin's tomb that had the giant squid? Hopefully you'll get to encounter some of the mythical creatures and catch them some how as a reward.

Free_Hidings
09-21-2012, 08:14 AM

I would assume so, but it's a bit ridiculous... Where does it end? Can I say box?! Haha

I don't think the amount of work it'd require was a determining factor as to whether or not to include it in the recreation of Northeastern territories in the US haha. Elk though is one that I haven't seen listed.

Hahaha true, I forget about the whole based on real life thing.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8JaVTC_sSN0/TsHQpBLcIEI/AAAAAAAACS0/2NElCcwL8Gg/s1600/vlcsnap-1351231.png

http://gamewiki.net/wiki/images/6/61/Bobcat.jpg

OK, I'm gonna stop now...

You're on a roll dude... Hahaha

Legendz54
09-21-2012, 11:10 AM
I have done some research and found that their will be lots of Galliformes (large ground birds) that wonder around the frontier such as turkeys and quail that will be huntable.

Oh and he also mentioned turkeys will puff up and attack you.....

http://youtu.be/GpSLQZWyQbA

Locopells
09-21-2012, 11:41 AM
You're on a roll dude... Hahaha

Thanks, man!

SaintPerkele
09-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Hopefully there will be some extremely rare animals that offers an incredible challenge in the game. Remember in Assassin's Creed II, there was this Assassin's tomb that had the giant squid? Hopefully you'll get to encounter some of the mythical creatures and catch them some how as a reward.
No. Mythical creatures belong in RDR but not in AC. The octopus was only an easter egg and clearly not canon.

However, if we talk about certain really rare animals or animals with a certain pelt (an albino animal for example), then yes, that would be a good idea. I'm expecting something like this anyway, considerng that there's a hunters club which will certainly give you harder tasks as you progress in their side missions, probably up to one mission where you have to catch a really rare animal.

Black_Widow9
09-22-2012, 03:19 AM
No. Mythical creatures belong in RDR but not in AC. The octopus was only an easter egg and clearly not canon.

However, if we talk about certain really rare animals or animals with a certain pelt (an albino animal for example), then yes, that would be a good idea. I'm expecting something like this anyway, considerng that there's a hunters club which will certainly give you harder tasks as you progress in their side missions, probably up to one mission where you have to catch a really rare animal.
You haven't seen the Unicorn footage? :p
(Not true)

SteelCity999
09-22-2012, 03:57 AM
(Not true)

The Mermaids are for real though aren't they?

SaintPerkele
09-22-2012, 10:51 AM
(Not true)
After the ACB-cheat, I wouldn't be too surprised ;)

pacmanate
09-22-2012, 02:03 PM
(Not true)

Is true, was in AC:B :D

tjbyrum1
09-22-2012, 03:04 PM
I love hunting in games.

I like hunting games, and specifically loved the aspect of hunting in RDR.

Bowhunting in a vast frontier? 24 different species (some of which may not be huntables)? I'll probably hunt more than anything.

keiran70
10-24-2012, 01:41 PM
what cheat?

Locopells
10-24-2012, 02:35 PM
After completing Sequence 1, whenever you replay a memory, you can activate a cheat that turns all the horses into Unicorns.

CSKarasu
10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Uurgh hunting anything other than humans does not belong in AC. If people wanted Red Dead or Cabela why don't they play those games? this is saddening.

xXRyzonXx
10-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Peta is going to hate AC3 so much!

FinalJ1
10-24-2012, 06:36 PM

Lol I person comes out and throws red paint on Connor for wearing furs and buckskin.

eagleforlife1
10-24-2012, 06:37 PM

Ironically, I love animals and work at a rescue centre but I love hunting them in game.

freddie_1897
10-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Uurgh hunting anything other than humans does not belong in AC. If people wanted Red Dead or Cabela why don't they play those games? this is saddening.
who are you to say it doesn't belong? the character is a native american and that is what they did. people aren't buying the game just for the hunting, that's why they aren't playing Red Dead or Cabella instead. if you want them to defy history instead then maybe YOU should be playing another game?

and to be honest your opinion matters little to people. if we had it your way we wouldn't be killing redcoats either. and we'd be playing as a loyalist to the queen

Mr_Shade
10-24-2012, 06:44 PM
who are you to say it doesn't belong? the character is a native american and that is what they did. people aren't buying the game just for the hunting, that's why they aren't playing Red Dead or Cabella instead. if you want them to defy history instead then maybe YOU should be playing another game?

and to be honest your opinion matters little to people. if we had it your way we wouldn't be killing redcoats either. and we'd be playing as a loyalist to the queen
now now, lets not start the infighting..

FinalJ1
10-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Ironically, I love animals and work at a rescue centre but I love hunting them in game.

Hypocrite, lol jk

freddie_1897
10-24-2012, 06:47 PM
now now, lets not start the infighting..
i hate to sound like a child but if he wants to make a comment then that is fine, but he expressed no reason as to why it was out of place in an AC game so i will reply. he's looking for an argument. the infighting is down to him

Gespenst1246
10-24-2012, 06:48 PM
pissing off peta seems worthwhile on its it own! anyways the amount of creatures is impressive nonetheless. (MAJESTIC MOOSE!!!)

xXRyzonXx
10-24-2012, 06:49 PM
If another argument breaks out today I am going dark...

There been enough for today.

FinalJ1
10-24-2012, 06:51 PM
If another argument breaks out today I am going dark...

There been enough for today.

I agree.

And wait there's a majestic moose?

Gespenst1246
10-24-2012, 06:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egptlC4rKOc

moooose

Mr_Shade
10-24-2012, 06:56 PM
i hate to sound like a child but if he wants to make a comment then that is fine, but he expressed no reason as to why it was out of place in an AC game so i will reply. he's looking for an argument. the infighting is down to him
Anyone can make comments - just ignore the ones you don't agree with - rather than starting up something which can fan the flames..

If you think someone has no point, sometimes it's better to ignore the post.

Locopells
10-24-2012, 07:01 PM

Well, joking aside, Ubi did make it so that you loose sync, if you don't actually use what you hunt, and just go on a random killing spree. Given that they needed to hunt to survive in thoses days, I don't see how PETA can complain.

FinalJ1
10-24-2012, 07:02 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3512/3989653223_92732cb98e_z.jpg?zz=1

Gespenst1246
10-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Words fail to describe how awesome that picture is...*bowbeforemoose*

FinalJ1
10-24-2012, 07:17 PM
All shall bow before the moose!!!!

CalgaryJay
10-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Every time you guys fight I worry you're going to get a divorce!

As for the guy who doesn't like it, ya combining elements of 2 of the best games of this console generation in AC & RDR sounds like a terrible idea... C'mon, man!
Fair enough I guess, but that's arguably THE thing I'm excited about the most. Can't wait to air assassinate some cocky deer..

xXRyzonXx
10-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Every time you guys fight I worry you're going to get a divorce!

As for the guy who doesn't like it, ya combining elements of 2 of the best games of this console generation in AC & RDR sounds like a terrible idea... C'mon, man!
Fair enough I guess, but that's arguably THE thing I'm excited about the most. Can't wait to air assassinate some cocky deer..

Wait what?

GreatBeyonder
10-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Someone please define 'hunting loop' for me.

CalgaryJay
10-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Wait what?

Haha whicht part confused you?

First line = joke. One of my buddies says it when me or a couple of our other buddies get in a minor squabble, I just think its funny.
Second line = sarcasm. Hard to convey on the internets. Point being, I'm on board with hunting in AC, can't understand how anyone couldn't be.
Third line = as is. I'm very much looking forward to murdering pixelated nature.

Evenesque
10-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Someone please define 'hunting loop' for me.

A loop in a game is used to describe a gameplay system that returns on itself. You do an activity, you get a reward, and then incentive to do the activity again. In this case, hunting provided the impetus.

FinalJ1
10-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Lmao, sorry I had to post this.
http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/1008/anti-peta-demotivational-poster-1281126421.jpg

BigUrn
10-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Any word on whether or not we can hunt squid?

FinalJ1
10-24-2012, 11:28 PM
I've wondering the fishing thing as well.

Kit572
10-25-2012, 12:06 AM

Fishing would be interesting.

FinalJ1
10-25-2012, 02:48 AM
I thought people might want to see this.

http://mobile.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/13/3328108/assassins-creed-3-hunting

ACRules2
10-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Wow! I just keep getting more and more amped for this game!

GreatBeyonder
10-25-2012, 07:13 AM
A loop in a game is used to describe a gameplay system that returns on itself. You do an activity, you get a reward, and then incentive to do the activity again. In this case, hunting provided the impetus.

Ahhh, I see. Thanks.

Legendz54
10-25-2012, 07:28 AM
I personally like the system when you leave a snare trap, Leaving, coming back and then finding an animal caught in it, I also like the observing bushes and trees to find animals nearby.

Paulsifer42
10-25-2012, 08:44 AM
I thought people might want to see this.

http://mobile.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/13/3328108/assassins-creed-3-hunting

Looks like Elk's confirmed.

BigUrn
10-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I just want to catch that dang squid from assassins creed 2. I always wondered what that thing was doing their.

CSKarasu
10-25-2012, 11:38 PM

It doesn't belong because the focus has always been on the story and lore whether directly or indirectly, even with the collecting of items in AC. This is just a tacked on minigame thrown in for people who played Red Dead, might as well throw in bass fishing as well.

LightRey
10-25-2012, 11:41 PM
It doesn't belong because the focus has always been on the story and lore whether directly or indirectly, even with the collecting of items in AC. This is just a tacked on minigame thrown in for people who played Red Dead, might as well throw in bass fishing as well.
It does belong because the devs decided it does. It's their story.

CSKarasu
10-25-2012, 11:43 PM
It does belong because the devs decided it does. It's their story.

That's what George Lucas said as well.

LightRey
10-25-2012, 11:44 PM
and he was right. The fans just weren't very happy with it. In this case though you seem to be a minority to say the least.

CalgaryJay
10-25-2012, 11:51 PM
You don't think hunting/trapping/fur trade was a big part of the time period there?? That's quite literally the biggest reason why the West first became colonized! The fur trade was everything, the demand for it back in Europe was off the charts, its how people first got rich here.

I'd go so far as to argue that it would've been strange had they not included it & just ignored that whole aspect. I'd also put its importance on par with the banking system in AC2, both were integral to their setting/era.

Assassin_M
10-25-2012, 11:53 PM
You don't think hunting/trapping/fur trade was a big part of the time period there?? That's quite literally the biggest reason why the West first became colonized! The fur trade was everything, the demand for it back in Europe was off the charts, its how people first got rich here.

I'd go so far as to argue that it would've been strange had they not included it & just ignored that whole aspect. I'd also put its importance on par with the banking system in AC2, both were integral to their setting/era.
That`s Saint_Shield we do not take his gibberish seriously, let alone reply to him rationally..

FinalJ1
10-26-2012, 12:05 AM

And his billions of dollars prove he was wrong huh?

CSKarasu
10-26-2012, 12:39 AM
And his billions of dollars prove he was wrong huh?

I don't want to derail this topic, but I have to step in... are you seriously defending George Lucas' prequels and CG fetish? seriously?

Even Spielberg had the common decency to apologise for his ET changes.

FinalJ1
10-26-2012, 01:53 AM
Listen it's pointless to argue with you. You come on here thinking your opinion is law and try to start fights. Guess what kid I'm not doing it. After this I will ignore your posts because I just don't care about your opinion.

Assassin_M
10-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Listen it's pointless to argue with you. You come on here thinking your opinion is law and try to start fights. Guess what kid I'm not doing it. After this I will ignore your posts because I just don't care about your opinion.
How bout this... Lets all block him ? Did you know that you can block members ?

FinalJ1
10-26-2012, 02:36 AM
How bout this... Lets all block him ? Did you know that you can block members ?

Didn't know that.

Assassin_M
10-26-2012, 02:37 AM
Didn't know that.
Now you do..

#BlockSaint_Shield

FinalJ1
10-26-2012, 02:58 AM
Now you do..

#BlockSaint_Shield

Done and thank you M.

Now to get back on topic. I was curious if deer head trophies would be at the homestead?

scooper121s
10-26-2012, 09:46 AM
It'll be a different hunting experience than in RDR with tracking and kills are more difficult and you must factor in weather.

No, why?

freddie_1897
10-26-2012, 02:49 PM
right, so we walk through the frontier and despite the fact that its a wilderness the game would be better if we didn't see any animals along the way? that would be unrealistic and people would complain. so they add in animals. BUT hang on a second here, Connor is a native, their survival depends on hunting animals, so at some point the devs decided that it would make a lot more sense both historically and gameplay wise to be able to hunt these animals. there we go. that's why there's a hunting loop. and if you think THAT's out of place, then you might as well say that having a native american assassins is out of place because the two weave in to each other.

yeah, blocked, you are looking for an argument with your flawed logic.

CSKarasu
10-26-2012, 07:50 PM
yeah, blocked, you are looking for an argument with your flawed logic.

Feel free, you are the one who keeps responding anyway lol...

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
10-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Come on guys, as Mr_Shade has already said please ignore people's opinions you don't agree with and move on. There is no need to announce you have blocked someone as this will only cause more flames.

ProdiGurl
10-27-2012, 06:11 PM
I just want to know if the more dangerous animals like bear or wild cats can attack you like they did in RDR.
Out of nowhere a cougar would come out & take me down. I'm not sure if that would be challenging or irritating - at least while you're on a mission to have a bear mess with you & blow your cover.

tjbyrum1
10-27-2012, 07:08 PM
As far as I am aware:

Frontier has many animals, but you don't know where they're at. Once you discover them, they're added to your map.
Animals are more rare than most games, and you'll need to track them or use bait.
Animals do attack you, including moose and elk.
You can set traps for animals.
Depending on weapon used will determine how much profit you make.
You sell meat and pelts to buyers or they're used as quest items.
Hunters will ask you to find legendary animals, like Bigfoot I believe (?)

Correct me if I am wrong.

scooper121s
10-30-2012, 07:31 AM
As far as I am aware:

Frontier has many animals, but you don't know where they're at. Once you discover them, they're added to your map.
Animals are more rare than most games, and you'll need to track them or use bait.
Animals do attack you, including moose and elk.
You can set traps for animals.
Depending on weapon used will determine how much profit you make.
You sell meat and pelts to buyers or they're used as quest items.
Hunters will ask you to find legendary animals, like Bigfoot I believe (?)

Correct me if I am wrong.
LOL at the bigfoot gag:)