PDA

View Full Version : So I don't like the story that much....

Potato54321
09-19-2012, 09:29 PM
I mostly lurk here, but this (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/713742-Today-someone-told-me-that-Assasin-s-Creed-didn-t-have-a-very-good-story?)rather terrifying thread convinced me to make a thread myself.

Why all the hate on people who don't enjoy the story? I'd love to enjoy it, but the insane conspiracy story doesn't attract me, I simply don't find the Assassin's ideologies all the appealing, and the Templars seem more the evil bad guy types then maniacal calculating villains trying to bring world peace.

Anyways, are you all such mindless fanboys you can take any criticism of the story? I personally hope AC3 will change it for me, and I'll finally get to enjoy the story, but the story so far hasn't exactly been some sort of holy crucible of amazing game writing.

And yes, I've played every game, multiple times. I've casually browsed the wiki before. I know the story well. I still think it isn't so great.

ShaneO7K
09-19-2012, 09:34 PM
What is this blasphemy!?

Seriously though, I love the story probably one of the best in video games in my opinion. But to each their own, I guess.

Serrachio
09-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I understand your views, and I can't judge you on your honest feelings.

sasukeuchiha50
09-19-2012, 09:54 PM
I mostly lurk here, but this (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/713742-Today-someone-told-me-that-Assasin-s-Creed-didn-t-have-a-very-good-story?)rather terrifying thread convinced me to make a thread myself.

Why all the hate on people who don't enjoy the story? I'd love to enjoy it, but the insane conspiracy story doesn't attract me, I simply don't find the Assassin's ideologies all the appealing, and the Templars seem more the evil bad guy types then maniacal calculating villains trying to bring world peace.

Anyways, are you all such mindless fanboys you can take any criticism of the story? I personally hope AC3 will change it for me, and I'll finally get to enjoy the story, but the story so far hasn't exactly been some sort of holy crucible of amazing game writing.

And yes, I've played every game, multiple times. I've casually browsed the wiki before. I know the story well. I still think it isn't so great. Go home.

notafanboy
09-19-2012, 10:01 PM

And yes, I've played every game, multiple times. I've casually browsed the wiki before. I know the story well. I still think it isn't so great.

i like potatoes too ! wanna be my friend forever ?

maxerx180
09-19-2012, 10:07 PM

Could it be that you don't understand the story?

ACfan443
09-19-2012, 10:07 PM
I have to admit, I am a bit of an AC fanboy, I get very defensive when people make uneducated and ignorant remarks about it. But in your case you've expressed your views in a fair manner, and I respect that. I do agree that Templars have been portrayed as evil power hungry villians, but that was AC2 onwards. Hopefully AC3 will rectify that. Nevertheless, the AC franchise has a brilliant, captivating plot, one of the best video game stories out there in my opinion.

kudos17
09-19-2012, 10:32 PM

You're on an Assassin's Creed forum. People are going to generally like the story around here.

I don't think it's the holy crucible of game writing either. Far from it, in fact, as I've seen better. But it's solid and engaging, which is all I really want. If it's not your thing, than so be it.

What I think people hate is when others go, "lol AC has aliens, how stupid" or some such nonsense, because that expresses an ignorant outsider's view of the story. If you can bring up some logical and thoughtful criticism, then most fans will accept it. Maybe even try to convince you otherwise. But most of us won't simply bash you for having a legitimate story complaint.

Potato54321
09-19-2012, 10:36 PM
You're on an Assassin's Creed forum. People are going to generally like the story around here.

I don't think it's the holy crucible of game writing either. Far from it, in fact, as I've seen better. But it's solid and engaging, which is all I really want. If it's not your thing, than so be it.

What I think people hate is when others go, "lol AC has aliens, how stupid" or some such nonsense, because that expresses an ignorant outsider's view of the story. If you can bring up some logical and thoughtful criticism, then most fans will accept it. Maybe even try to convince you otherwise. But most of us won't simply bash you for having a legitimate story complaint.

Well of course, but the opposite view is just as ridiculous, by which I mean mindlessly bashing any criticism. Here are some gems from the thread I linked in my original post.

Says Story isn't good = Doesn't understand it but too chicken to admit...Trust me I got it out of someone who said he didn't like the story..

It usually comes from a person of lower intelligence.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha......... Y-Yeah.

I sincerely hope your reaction was nothing more than Laughter.. because that is just weird xD

and that's just in the first page. All for someone posting a decently constructed criticism of the story.

Please guys, give me some hope. You aren't all like that, right?

Azurefeatherfly
09-19-2012, 10:38 PM

The conspiracy plot involving history, religion and the origins of humanity is probably one of the most appreciated parts of the series and since this is the Desmond's final game this narrative will certainly be more relevant than ever.

This far into the franchise, why would you continue to experience something that you do not enjoy? Why force yourself through this when there may other games that may be more enjoyable and appeal to your tastes? This is almost like someone who dislikes reading trying to get a English major, and there is certainly no lack of open-world action/adventure games from Arkam City to Sleeping Dogs.

Assassin's Creed can easily be summed up is a conflict stretching back to the dawn of humanity between the ideologies of free-will versus control represented respectifully by Assassins and Templars.

If this is not a concept that you appreciate, if it is not fun for you then what is the point of playing the game?

By the way, try not generalize and create labels like "mindless fanboys", this is probably what frustrates me the most in the gaming community. Disliking a franchise can instantly be labelled a hater and liking a franchise can create fanboy labels just as quickly. This lack of empathy happens way too often.

TheHumanTowel
09-19-2012, 10:42 PM
I think it's pretty prententious to dismiss anyone who doesn't enjoy the story as not understanding it. Don't flatter yourselves people. I like the story but really it isn't that hard to follow. While I enjoy the story I can see why people could have a problem with it.

ProletariatPleb
09-19-2012, 10:43 PM
I suppose the hate is there because AC is a story game, it's driven by the story, and the story is good.
Without the story, I don't think it would be much different from some generic game.

I enjoyed the story in AC1 and 2, Brotherhood and Revelations were bad and just stretched IMO.
I don't hate you, I hate people that don't even try to understand the story and then tell the game is bad because they didn't get the story. I know two such people who have Brotherhood and all they do is kill guards, don't know anything about story.

Potato54321
09-19-2012, 10:45 PM
The conspiracy plot involving history, religion and the origins of humanity is probably one of the most appreciated parts of the series and since this is the Desmond's final game this narrative will certainly be more relevant than ever.

This far into the franchise, why would you continue to experience something that you do not enjoy? Why force yourself through this when there may other games that may be more enjoyable and appeal to your tastes? This is almost like someone who dislikes reading trying to get a English major, and there is certainly no lack of open-world action/adventure games from Arkam City to Sleeping Dogs.

Assassin's Creed can easily be summed up is a conflict stretching back to the dawn of humanity between the ideologies of free-will versus control represented respectifully by Assassins and Templars.

If this is not a concept that you appreciate, if it is not fun for you then what is the point of playing the game?

Because I love history, I love the carefully constructed historical cities and I love the parkour system.

By no means did I mean that I don't enjoy the games, I love the games. I have about 30 hours logged in each game, I simply don't understand the hype around the story.

On I side note, one of the main problems I have with the game is that the ideologies aren't well represented enough. You have a few gems here and there (the Uncle from ACR, all of AC1's villians), but for the most part the Assassins cause just as much trouble for Average Joe as the Templars (how many poor city guards are dead from Ezio's actions?) and the Templars are portrayed just as mindless villains.

BBALive
09-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Please guys, give me some hope. You aren't all like that, right?

No. I also dislike the story.

He obviously enjoys the gameplay.

Sushiglutton
09-19-2012, 10:47 PM

I agree with this pretty much. I have lost interest in especially the modern day story. Ubis decission to elaborate/reveal key story elements in the DLC has made me care even less. But I love the atmosphere, the worlds, historical settings, the free-running, the brutality and just how cool a lot of things look. And the core Assassin/Templar conflict feels relevant today as well. Hopefully Connors own story will also be interesting to follow.

Azurefeatherfly
09-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Because I love history, I love the carefully constructed historical cities and I love the parkour system.

By no means did I mean that I don't enjoy the games, I love the games. I have about 30 hours logged in each game, I simply don't understand the hype around the story.

On I side note, one of the main problems I have with the game is that the ideologies aren't well represented enough. You have a few gems here and there (the Uncle from ACR, all of AC1's villians), but for the most part the Assassins cause just as much trouble for Average Joe as the Templars (how many poor city guards are dead from Ezio's actions?) and the Templars are portrayed just as mindless villains.

I don't know if there is hype around the story. In my opinion, the hype seems to be around how history can be so easily warped and how the factual history of humanity can create a "universe" different from that of our own.

By the way, I think you will find this interesting from the First Edition of the Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia:

The Assassins seek to promote peace, but commit murder.
The Assassins seek to open the minds of men, but require obedience to rules.
The Assassins seek to reveal the danger of blind faith, yet practice it themselves.

Potato54321
09-19-2012, 11:06 PM
I like that a lot actually, reminds me of AC1.

I wish the series would go back to making the Assassin's morally ambiguous. In recent games Ezio is so obviously the good guy and the templars are so obviously the bad guys.

De Filosoof
09-19-2012, 11:39 PM
This again...

Let's do some easy math here.

AC2 and ACB were set in Italy.
Implementing the Borgia family into the game was just 1+1=2.
The Borgia family was a sick and twisted family so why should they lie about it?
Just to make them look "less sick"?
Come on...

So why don't you people complain when playing a batman game?
Always being the "good guy" while he's obviously an authoritarian guy?
Do you know that most authoritarian figures don't turn away to use some nasty violence themselves including killing?
As a matter of fact, especially them.

kudos17
09-19-2012, 11:59 PM

I wish the series would go back to making the Assassin's morally ambiguous. In recent games Ezio is so obviously the good guy and the templars are so obviously the bad guys.

In terms of the fiction, this is actually noted. The Templars during the early Renaissance were a dark mark on Templar history, as the most notable ones (Cesare, Rodrigo, etc.) were notoriously focused on their own power, not the Templar ideals. I think it's referenced in the Abstergo files of the multiplayer.

AC3 may get back to the gray area. It looks like they're trying to by making Connor neutral in terms of politics.

Potato54321
09-20-2012, 12:06 AM
I really hope they do. The devs say they're trying to make it neutral, but every piece of promotional material they put out just screams "'MERICA!"

I'll enjoy it either way, but I'd love if the Templars make some good arguments for why they're good this iteration.

rileypoole1234
09-20-2012, 12:10 AM
One of the biggest parts of AC is the story. Why would somebody be playing it in the first place if they don't like it anyway?

Potato54321
09-20-2012, 12:11 AM

-Me, on the last page.

And the biggest parts, for me at least, isn't the story. Having a good story would be nice, but I far more enjoy exploring cities and just free running.

LoyalACFan
09-20-2012, 01:25 AM
Honestly, I think the story is great, but they do fairly frequently drop the ball with the dialogue. There have been several places in the story where the wonky dialogue just rips me right out of the experience. The infamous "hook blade has two parts; the hook and the blade" comment is only one example among many.

kriegerdesgottes
09-20-2012, 01:27 AM
I must admit I've been onboard with AC since the very beginning and there are aspects of the story I love like the animus concept and the ancestral link which is something I wasn't comfortable with when I first played AC1 but now I love it but I will say I don't enjoy TWCB or the apple aspects of the story. They cross the line for me but I still enjoy AC for the historical aspects mostly and the killing and climbing. As long as I don't get desynched for being caught I love the gameplay in general. So I am willing for forgive the outlandish sci fi aspects.

Assassin_M
09-20-2012, 02:59 AM
He mentioned my Post.

Paulsifer42
09-20-2012, 05:19 AM

-Me, on the last page.

And the biggest parts, for me at least, isn't the story. Having a good story would be nice, but I far more enjoy exploring cities and just free running.

You've played through them all several times but only have 30 hours in each? You must have been cruisin' man. Play through them again and slow down. Spend 30 or 40 on a single playthrough, helping everyone you can and reading all you can, not just about the history, but about the story. This might help you appreciate it more. I'm with you and some others on this thread though, the story isn't too complex, and I would guess that you understand it generally, but digging deep into it is where I've found the real joy, and I haven't even dug that deep.

AdrianJacek
09-20-2012, 06:18 AM

Eh... really? Really? This again? Okay, first of all the Italian Templars were corrupted and that IS noted. It's not like every single important historical figure was a gray type of guy. You look at the crusades, Renaisance and the American Revolution and you can obviously see that there are so many different personalities it's hard to count. And Renaissance was one of the darkest times in human history, especially in terms of politics. People were backstabbing each other on a daily basis.
Besides, AC2&B were more about a reversal of social roles - the nobles turned out to be greedy bastards and lower classes were actually trying to help people. And even with that there were still people with the Templar ideology but not belonging to the order, i.e. Savonarola and Ercole Massimo.
And even with that ACR showed us Templars outside Italy. Vali cel Tradat that Assassins are not pure either. And of course there's Prince Ahmet which wasn't blindly searching for power. No, he wanted to stop all bloodshed.
And assassins themselves aren't exacly the "good guys". I could look it up for you, if you like. Basically, it means they assassinate people.

ProletariatPleb
09-20-2012, 07:23 AM

Agreed. I miss the greyness from AC1

In Brotherhood we were Robin-ezio of da Hood. Cesare was the most clear villain if every I've seen one in AC.
AC2 focused till near after mid-game on revenge for the murder of his family.
AC:R tried, but wasn't very successful.

In an interview with Corey May, he mentioned something about the moral greyness coming back and that this time even the assassin ideology will be criticised.

NEURON BOMB
09-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I respect your views seeing as you have played all the games Potato54321,But what i hate is people that i know who badmouth the games,And they haven't even played one,This franchise ranks #1 on my list of game franchises with ME coming in second.

HisSpiritLives
09-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Well it is probably becouse you dont understand it it is such a big and old theme as you call it ,,insane conspiracy.

IceHot100
09-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Then you might not enjoy AC3 as well. It's gotten better since AC2 and that was because of the conspiracies in Renassaince. So people that like that kind of storeis will enjoy all the games in the franchise to their fullest and this game is famous for the story and gameplay. I think you like the gameplay part more? But I'd still reccomend you to buy it, though. You have played all the games and it would kinda suc k if you don't see the end...

Legendz54
09-20-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't really know what to say to you... I love the AC franchise and story. All I can say is I hope you find something good in the story when AC3 comes out.

POP1Fan
09-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Well it is probably becouse you dont understand it it is such a big and old theme as you call it ,,insane conspiracy.

The whole thing IS an "insane conspiracy".

Lass4r
09-20-2012, 04:07 PM
I think you have your answer, OP. Yes, AC fans are a bunch of fanboys. Embarassing, but apparently true.

Assassin_M
09-20-2012, 05:14 PM
I think you have your answer, OP. Yes, AC fans are a bunch of fanboys. Embarassing, but apparently true.

Embarassing ?

We appreciate constructive criticism that points out Legitimate flaws in some elements of the game, but the OP just doesnt like Conspiracies, Its not for him... So how is it "Embarassing" When Fans try to either tell him to invest more time or tell him that he doesnt understand it ?? Or Maybe he has no Valid reason, because he doesnt... He just doesnt like Conspiracies..

Embarassing...Pfff a couple of years ago you wouldnt dare say that... The best Discussions and Theories were abound around here.. Very Intelligent minds brainstorming in one place...

How dare you ?

Locopells
09-20-2012, 05:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlkoZXAKlRU&feature=youtu.be

ProletariatPleb
09-20-2012, 05:24 PM
FYI, every forum has typical 'fanboys'. Asking such a question is inviting trouble, asking in a general games thread might be better.

Lass4r
09-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Embarassing ?

We appreciate constructive criticism that points out Legitimate flaws in some elements of the game, but the OP just doesnt like Conspiracies, Its not for him... So how is it "Embarassing" When Fans try to either tell him to invest more time or tell him that he doesnt understand it ?? Or Maybe he has no Valid reason, because he doesnt... He just doesnt like Conspiracies..

Embarassing...Pfff a couple of years ago you wouldnt dare say that... The best Discussions and Theories were abound around here.. Very Intelligent minds brainstorming in one place...

How dare you ?
You don't need a "valid reason" to not like a game's story. Saying its not for him is just too easy IMO. I love AC's story and (nearly) all the intricate elements of it, but we must be able to accept that someone else doesn't, not tell him that he doesn't understand anything.

FrankieSatt
09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Why even bother playing the game if the Story doesn't appeal to you? The Story has been the same through all the games so how did the OP even get started playing the series?

I don't know, maybe it's just me but if I didn't like the story of the series I wouldn't be playing any of the games.

LightRey
09-22-2012, 02:24 PM
He mentioned my Post.
You're FAMOUS! OOOOOO:

Seriously though. You did have a point. I think a big part of liking the story is understanding it. Most people that don't like it keep pointing out facts that seem contradictory, but it only evidences their lack of knowledge about the series and/or their lack of understanding of it in general. To truly appreciate the Assassin's Creed story (not that you can't like it regardless mind you), you need to become aware of all the facts and be able to piece them together (or at least try to). If you stop halfway through and draw a conclusion (that is incorrect 99% of the time) at that point, you'll just get confused and annoyed with all the paradoxes.