PDA

View Full Version : Notoriety System for AC3

Umbra_Blade
09-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know how this system works in AC3? How is your notoriety displayed? What actions will be available to reduce it?

Will changing our outfit reduce or eliminate our notoriety? Do you think we will still get things like heralds, or will they be replaced as town criers now, or perhaps newspaper sellers (as more people were literate in this era)? How will the system work in the Frontier? Will there even be a notoriety system in the Frontier?

Will there be different notorieties for different factions of guards? For example kill redcoats and you become notorious with them, but colonists don't mind you, or visa versa.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

HisSpiritLives
09-19-2012, 09:18 PM
I dont want to be aggresive but we saw some glimpse but they dont tell us anything they didnt announced anything,so there is now way we know much before release.

MT4K
09-19-2012, 09:24 PM
As far as the Frontier is concerned... They really haven't told us anything.

From what we have heard or seen in videos regarding cities is that there's at least 3 tiers to the system and the guards obviousoly get tougher with more/different archetypes as the level increases.

BBALive
09-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Three levels of notoriety in cities, each one introduces more difficult enemies. No idea regarding the Frontier, my idea was to have bounty hunters track you down randomly, but that's just wishful thinking.

That's all we know.

Potato54321
09-19-2012, 11:07 PM
But you're supposed to do the tracking down!

Sushiglutton
09-19-2012, 11:12 PM
I hope they completely get rid of the kind of notoriety system they introduced in AC2. It wasn't fun and it also introduced some silly stuff (like rooftop posters). In Revelation some genius came up with the idea to increase notoriety when you bought shops. Hopefully AC3 will be a game that is much cleaner and dismiss some of the more tedious no-fun ideas from the previous games.

I hope the system will work similarily to GTA. If you commit a "crime" that is seen by a soldier they will start chasing you. If you do even worse stuff, more and tougher soldiers will spawn. This will go on until you escape.

dex3108BL
09-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Well maybe we will find out more on Monday next week :D 24th is day when embargo on previews will end. And i think that we will get previews 17:00 GMT.

Potato54321
09-19-2012, 11:17 PM
What do you mean by embargo on previews? Haven't they shown us all the previews they have?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

dex3108BL
09-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Well there are always two or three previews. First one is after game is announced, second one is often about month before game is released and it is usually hands on preview of final code of the game. Sometimes there is one or more previews between those two.

Locopells
09-20-2012, 12:59 AM
I hope they completely get rid of the kind of notoriety system they introduced in AC2. It wasn't fun and it also introduced some silly stuff (like rooftop posters). In Revelation some genius came up with the idea to increase notoriety when you bought shops. Hopefully AC3 will be a game that is much cleaner and dismiss some of the more tedious no-fun ideas from the previous games.

I hope the system will work similarily to GTA. If you commit a "crime" that is seen by a soldier they will start chasing you. If you do even worse stuff, more and tougher soldiers will spawn. This will go on until you escape.

It does look like we're back to the AC1 format, of Blue (All Clear), Yellow (Guards are looking for you/alerted), Red (Guards can see you/are fighting you), but with the additional thing of, the longer you stay in the red, the more guards, of higher ranks, come running.

It seems to be designed, so you can't just kill all the guards and walk off - they actually said it's easier to run. As for the frontier, nobody knows. I have a suspicion that it will be line of sight only, no Yellow level. But that's just a guess.

doogsy91
09-20-2012, 09:46 AM
I hope it works more like the Red Dead system where notoriety gradually increases/decreases throughout the length of the entire game as the consequences gradually develop (guard alertness/strength etc). The way it is now, you can pretty much go from being incognito to notorious and back to incognito in the space of a couple of minutes and it just isn't very realistic or enjoyable.

IceHot100
09-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Three levels of notoriety in cities, each one introduces more difficult enemies. No idea regarding the Frontier, my idea was to have bounty hunters track you down randomly, but that's just wishful thinking.

That's all we know.

Mot spoiling but I think your wish migh come true from what I've seen in the achievements list

Sickull
09-20-2012, 02:53 PM
my idea was to have bounty hunters track you down randomly, but that's just wishful thinking.

That's all we know.

Why is that wishful thinking? they've done it before back in Brotherhood although they didn't call them bounty hunters.

twenty_glyphs
09-20-2012, 04:17 PM
In the IGN video "Making Assassin's Creed III" released yesterday you can see an in-game message about notoriety pop up twice. It appears that notoriety is no longer simply incognito or notorious like the system introduced in AC2. It seems to be Incognito, which is shown with the hooded Assassin icon next to the mini-map, followed by three levels of notoriety, each represented by adding a hexagon with an X in it.

At 4:40, you can see the hooded Assassin logo change to one hexagon with an X and an in-game tip popup in the upper right of the screen saying "Notoriety level 1: Enemies will detect you." At 1:20 you can see the one hexagon icon change to two hexagons and an in-game popup that says "Notoriety level 2: Enemies will investigate on sight." I would guess that Notoriety level 3 will be enemies attack you on sight.

I like the separation of notoriety into different levels. AC1 had a good system, but you had no control over it. I believe as the game went on guards would be more alert and start to investigate your actions quicker, right? And after a main assassination, every guard in the city would attack on sight. In AC2 and its spinoffs, they wanted to add some control over the system. I think one problem with it is it took a while to become fully notorious, so I never felt like I was wary of filling the meter entirely. Plus, it wasn't that scary being fully notorious anyway. It seems like AC3's Notoriety level 2 might be similar to AC2's notorious state, which would mean Level 3 in AC3 could be difficult and fun.

And just to clarify, the colors that used to be around the mini-map and are now behind the notoriety icon to the right of the mini-map are not related to notoriety but to your detection status. They appear to be the same as before, with red being detected and in the enemy's line of sight, yellow meaning detected but not in the enemy's line of sight, green being detected but hidden, and blue being hidden and not detected.

Noble6
09-20-2012, 04:55 PM
I hope We have to do something to go back to incognito so it doesn't change itself by time. This would mean I could play long periods of game with highest notoriety which would be like playing on higher difficulty.

adarwinter
09-20-2012, 05:46 PM
I hope We have to do something to go back to incognito so it doesn't change itself by time. This would mean I could play long periods of game with highest notoriety which would be like playing on higher difficulty.

i hope so as well.
i used to leave the notoriaty all the way on it's max in AC2 and later games so guards will actually fight me and the game will be harder, though the fights in these games used to be too easy so it didnt add that much, IMO.
if the highest notoriaty levels in AC3 will introduce really tough enemies and in high enough numbers to threat my life i will really love it.
what i want from AC3 in general is the feeling that connor can take out a large number of enemies, but too many and he will have to run away so it's always this balance between how many fights can you handle before your health goes so low that you need to avoid danger.
a good mix between the need to fight and the need to run away is what i think the AC games should have. in most AC games it was unnecessary to run away since combat was baby-easy and death meant nothing at all and the wonderful tense moments of the free-running chases were really rare or only scripted.

Jamiedwi
09-20-2012, 05:52 PM
i hope so as well.
i used to leave the notoriaty all the way on it's max in AC2 and later games so guards will actually fight me and the game will be harder, though the fights in these games used to be too easy so it didnt add that much, IMO.
if the highest notoriaty levels in AC3 will introduce really tough enemies and in high enough numbers to threat my life i will really love it.
what i want from AC3 in general is the feeling that connor can take out a large number of enemies, but too many and he will have to run away so it's always this balance between how many fights can you handle before your health goes so low that you need to avoid danger.
a good mix between the need to fight and the need to run away is what i think the AC games should have. in most AC games it was unnecessary to run away since combat was baby-easy and death meant nothing at all and the wonderful tense moments of the free-running chases were really rare or only scripted.

Well i think you'll be quite happy then because judging from the achievements when you raise notoriety levels you will encounter harder enemies - the jaegers

Abdelbar94
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM

That's all we know.

great idea liked it ;)

Bluefire454
09-21-2012, 12:45 AM
I am hoping that notoriety will work differently when your in the cities versus the frontier. Maybe for cities it will work similar to the previous games except I think it would work better if notoriety only increased if guards saw your crime. I think the whole point of being an assassin is that you stealthily kill your target and get away without being seen. If you get seen, (or run in and kill everyone), then your notoriety should increase. It's just an idea though. Of course, if you go around killing everyone, then notoriety would increase anyway because guards would become more aware of you but then again I'm just thinking... For the frontier, maybe people will send bounty hunters after you and stuff like that. That would be cool. :D

AssassinZ7
09-21-2012, 02:56 AM
i hated the Ac1 notority it was just stupid, i enjoyed the one in Revalations but it could use some tweeking

dex3108BL
09-28-2012, 05:44 PM
For now we know what are firs two levels :D

Level 1
http://i.imgur.com/zmSLp.jpg (http://imgur.com/zmSLp)

Level 2
http://i.imgur.com/fZ5EC.jpg (http://imgur.com/fZ5EC)

BBALive
09-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Why is that wishful thinking? they've done it before back in Brotherhood although they didn't call them bounty hunters.

No they didn't.

Mot spoiling but I think your wish migh come true from what I've seen in the achievements list

I've already read the achievement list. What achievement are you referring to?

freddie_1897
09-28-2012, 06:12 PM
in the interview loomer had with alex hutchinson he asked him one of my questions, my question asking about notoriety in the cities and frontier. now what he said about the frontier was that because it was meant to be sort of wild area there wasn't really a notoriety system 'so to speak'

LoyalACFan
09-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Level 2
http://i.imgur.com/fZ5EC.jpg (http://imgur.com/fZ5EC)

Man, when I saw the money icon on that HUD, I did a double take. I swear I thought it said EZIO 8 :p

But as for the notoriety, I saw an interview with somebody (I'm pretty sure it was Alex) who said that the third level, guards will be literally patrolling around the city and rooftops with orders to kill you on sight. However, tearing down one poster takes off one level of notoriety, "impressing the populace" (not sure what that entails exactly) takes off two levels, and paying for a special edition of the newspaper returns you to anonymity. That part of the interview was oddly worded, but I'm pretty sure they're just saying you can buy off the newspaper printers to either stop printing bad things about you or even actively promote your good deeds.

twenty_glyphs
09-28-2012, 08:35 PM
in the interview loomer had with alex hutchinson he asked him one of my questions, my question asking about notoriety in the cities and frontier. now what he said about the frontier was that because it was meant to be sort of wild area there wasn't really a notoriety system 'so to speak'

The new gameplay footage released on Monday shows one aspect of how it works in the Frontier. I'm talking about the clip where Connor's Mohawk friend tells him Johnson Hall is on top of the cliff across the water and the water is heavily guarded, and Connor jumps into the water and then climbs up the cliffs. You can see that Connor enters and leaves a restricted area surrounding Johnson Hall a couple of times on his way up the cliff. Before entering the restricted area, his notoriety is at Level 1, and it changes to Level 2 as soon as he enters the red circle on the mini-map. When he leaves again as he makes his way up the cliff, it goes back down to Level 1. At the end of the clip, Connor is inside the restricted area and his notoriety icon shows Level 2. The guard there investigates him on sight just like the tip says in the above screen.

This also fits with some of the early things they said about the notoriety system when the game was first announced. They said that in some areas you would be more or less notorious. So it seems that in the Frontier you might be at Notoriety Level 1 and have it go to Level 2 when you enter restricted areas. It also seems that you stay completely incognito while on the Homestead map. So you never manage your notoriety outside New York and Boston, which sounds good to me.