PDA

View Full Version : Favorite American Founding Father?

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 12:15 AM
I haven't noticed any topics with this and was curious as to who everyone's favorite America Founding Father is for when they play Assassin's Creed III.

WSSK

Blind2Society
09-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Jefferson.

LoyalACFan
09-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Benjamin Franklin. He was extremely intelligent, but also a perverted, dirty old man :p

Assassin_M
09-18-2012, 12:17 AM
How many are there ?

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 12:18 AM
How many are there ?

There are a great many. I could only list 10 on the Poll, though. I posted who I figured was the most notable.

WSSK

Assassin_M
09-18-2012, 12:21 AM
There are a great many. I could only list 10 on the Poll, though. I posted who I figured was the most notable.

WSSK
Oh I figured..

To be honest, I never studied too much American History, I only have a gripe on Generalities During that Period and that is why I'm excited about AC III; However, I studied Washington, but I still cant call him my favorite because I don't know everything about everyone else..

Blind2Society
09-18-2012, 12:22 AM
More than one can really count. How people define 'founding fathers' differs. I feel it is all the men (and women) who had part to play in turning the colonies into a country and giving them their freedom.

Again, Jefferson is my favorite (seems strange saying it that way) though it is a difficult question.

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 12:23 AM
More than one can really count. How people define 'founding fathers' differs. I feel it is all the men (and women) who had part to play in turning the colonies into a country and giving them their freedom.

Again, Jefferson is my favorite (seems strange saying it that way) though it is a difficult question.

So, you're saying, not that I disagree, that the many soldiers that fought count, too? That is a lot more than 10, I'm sure. Haha. Anyway, there's a Poll at the top if you want to place your vote.

WSSK

Blind2Society
09-18-2012, 12:28 AM
In my eyes yes. All those who sacrificed to make it happen are the founding fathers. It's a real shame what the government they started has become. I love my country and the idea and ideals it was founded on but what this government has become certainly has them all turning in their graves.

And all those options, it's a crazy difficult decision. Thomas Paine was really tugging on my vote but I stuck with Jefferson.

Who, may I ask, is yours?

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 12:30 AM
In my eyes yes. All those who sacrificed to make it happen are the founding fathers. It's a real shame what the government they started has become. I love my country and the idea and ideals it was founded on but what this government has become certainly has them all turning in their graves.

I hope none of the Founding Fathers are made villains in this game. After what they fought to achieve, it'd be a shame to see that.

WSSK

Assassin_M
09-18-2012, 12:31 AM
I hope none of the Founding Fathers are made villains in this game. After what they fought to achieve, it'd be a shame to see that.

WSSK
Oooooooh...

Something is gonna start right there..

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Oooooooh...

What do you mean?

WSSK

Assassin_M
09-18-2012, 12:34 AM
What do you mean?

WSSK
regarding the Founding fathers being portrayed as "Evil"

Seeing as the Devs confirmed Templars on both sides of the Conflict..

Blind2Society
09-18-2012, 12:35 AM
I imagine not all of them were good men and I really wouldn't mind them being portrayed as bad guys. Though, there are a couple that would upset me. Jefferson, as one example, could in no way be perceived as a bad guy.

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 12:36 AM
regarding the Founding fathers being portrayed as "Evil"

Seeing as the Devs confirmed Templars on both sides of the Conflict..

Ah, I know that, I was just hoping against it. The historical heroes of the past being portrayed as evil, even in fiction, can upset some fans.

WSSK

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 12:36 AM
I imagine not all of them were good men and I really wouldn't mind them being portrayed as bad guys. Though, there are a couple that would upset me. Jefferson, as one example, could in no way be perceived as a bad guy.

I feel the same way with George Washington.

WSSK

goldiron
09-18-2012, 12:39 AM
theres too many I don't even know some of them.

Locopells
09-18-2012, 12:40 AM

WSSK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdYtXeKGeu8&feature=plcp

Oooooooh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzuZJFFC09E&feature=plcp

All joking apart, I do honestly agree with this. They might've had their faults, but the US today is not how it should have ended up. Washington's farewell speech is a case in point.

Assassin_M
09-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Im sure they`ll be doing it correctly in regards to the historical records and how it portrayed every Individual..

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Im sure they`ll be doing it correctly in regards to the historical records and how it portrayed every Individual..

Maybe, I don't know. I heard that the villain is someone you see in most of the game.

WSSK

Blind2Society
09-18-2012, 12:43 AM
All joking apart, I do honestly agree with this. They might've had their faults, but the US today is not how it should have ended up. Washington's farewell speech is a case in point.

It's what happens when government runs rampant. It's exactly what the founding fathers were trying to prevent.

Locopells
09-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Which is why it's so sad.

Assassin_M
09-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Maybe, I don't know. I heard that the villain is someone you see in most of the game.

WSSK
That doesn't exactly narrow it down xD

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 12:49 AM
That doesn't exactly narrow it down xD

I know, but that's all I've heard. Also, as far as I can tell from the trailers, it doesn't look like you'll be seeing many others as much as the Founding Fathers.

WSSK

kriegerdesgottes
09-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Washington without a doubt. He was so awesome. Here is a man that has to defeat the world with untrained angry farmers and little to no help from congress and he still beat them. Obviously he has help from the French towards the end but no only did he help defeat the British but he was always very modest and single handedly held the Revolution itself together when everyone was arguing about the new formed country and he managed to stop it from becoming what France did during its horrible revolution.

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Washington without a doubt. He was so awesome. Here is a man that has to defeat the world with untrained angry farmers and little to no help from congress and he still beat them. Obviously he has help from the French towards the end but no only did he help defeat the British but he was always very modest and single handedly held the Revolution itself together when everyone was arguing about the new formed country and he managed to stop it from becoming what France did during its horrible revolution.

I haven't met someone else with as much appreciation. It's good to see. Did you know he served without pay? He was only compensated for what he spent.

WSSK

RatonhnhakeFan
09-18-2012, 12:56 AM
In my eyes yes. All those who sacrificed to make it happen are the founding fathers. It's a real shame what the government they started has become. I love my country and the idea and ideals it was founded on but what this government has become certainly has them all turning in their graves.Hmmm... how do I say it. Slavery, racism, misogyny, bigotry were all the reality of the government of the founding fathers. Regardless if you like modern democratic/republican governments or not, they're so much more respectful to human rights than the past governments

kudos17
09-18-2012, 01:18 AM
Washington is the only "favorite" I had. He was blunt, had no sense of humor, and was arguably pretty mean. But he knew what he was doing, for sure. In the war and out of it. He's the only president not to align himself with political parties - my BIGGEST annoyance with the current American system, parties :mad: - and he gathered a natural respect that is not often given. He set several precedents for the future American government, and was just generally awesome.

Would I call him "good"? Not by any means. But the world is not paved by good men, just ordinary men with (hopefully) good intentions. A close second would be Jefferson, for his views. Hamilton, on the other hand, would probably be pretty far down my list...

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Washington is the only "favorite" I had. He was blunt, had no sense of humor, and was arguably pretty mean. But he knew what he was doing, for sure. In the war and out of it. He's the only president not to align himself with political parties - my BIGGEST annoyance with the current American system, parties :mad: - and he gathered a natural respect that is not often given. He set several precedents for the future American government, and was just generally awesome.

Would I call him "good"? Not by any means. But the world is not paved by good men, just ordinary men with (hopefully) good intentions. A close second would be Jefferson, for his views. Hamilton, on the other hand, would probably be pretty far down my list...

I've read that he appeared to be in a bad mood, but it was caused by his teeth being in great pain. I read that he always had respect for others. He let friends and guests stay in his home. In my opinion, he was a good man, but he had a lot of sorrow in his life.

WSSK

Assassin_M
09-18-2012, 01:29 AM
I've read that he appeared to be in a bad mood, but it was caused by his teeth being in great pain. I read that he always had respect for others. He let friends and guests stay in his home. In my opinion, he was a good man, but he had a lot of sorrow in his life.

WSSK
There is no such thing as a Good man..

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 01:33 AM
There is no such thing as a Good man..

People have flaws, of course, I know.

WSSK

De Filosoof
09-18-2012, 01:34 AM
Thomas Jefferson :).

Screw Hamilton. lol.

kudos17
09-18-2012, 02:04 AM

WSSK

He acted with respect and was treated with respect, but I don't think respectful and friendly have to go hand-in-hand.

Let me put it this way - when he walked in the room, he was a man you paid attention to, whether you liked him or not.

Still, though, I wouldn't paint him as "good'. "Troubled", definitely. He wasn't a perfect man, but in my opinion, he was the perfect example of what a nation like young America needed more of.

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 02:10 AM
He acted with respect and was treated with respect, but I don't think respectful and friendly have to go hand-in-hand.

Let me put it this way - when he walked in the room, he was a man you paid attention to, whether you liked him or not.

Still, though, I wouldn't paint him as "good'. "Troubled", definitely. He wasn't a perfect man, but in my opinion, he was the perfect example of what a nation like young America needed more of.

I think he was the quiet type. He had friends, of course, but I think his teeth gave him embarrassment to speak. He loved his wife and step-children, so he could get along with people. His men loved him and he cared for them greatly.

WSSK

NOLA_Assassin
09-18-2012, 06:31 AM
I voted for G-Wash, but B-Frank, A-Ham, T-Jeff, and T-Paine are up there as well.

BATISTABUS
09-18-2012, 06:56 AM
I voted for John Adams because nobody else probably will, and I REALLY enjoyed the HBO mini-series.

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 09:17 AM
I voted for John Adams because nobody else probably will, and I REALLY enjoyed the HBO mini-series.

Good series.

WSSK

Blind2Society
09-18-2012, 02:38 PM

Well said. As for me no one beats Jefferson. Thomas Paine is a close second though if for no other reason that Common Sense.

As for the series John Adams, it's an excellent show, it's part of my collection and I recommend it to everyone.

kriegerdesgottes
09-18-2012, 03:10 PM
I haven't met someone else with as much appreciation. It's good to see. Did you know he served without pay? He was only compensated for what he spent.

WSSK

Yes I know plus on top of that when everyone was considering making him king he was happy with Mr. President and he was hesitant to run for his second term and refused to run for another which shocked Napoleon. When he died, Napoleon had a moment in silence in France. That is one awesome man.

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Yes I know plus on top of that when everyone was considering making him king he was happy with Mr. President and he was hesitant to run for his second term and refused to run for another which shocked Napoleon. When he died, Napoleon had a moment in silence in France. That is one awesome man.

I also think that he was upset that people wanted him to be King. He served because he felt it was his duty to America and in fact missed his wife during the American Revolution and when he was President. At Valley Forge, he stayed with his men is horrible housing (tents) instead of the house he was given as his headquarters until they had living conditions equal to him. I'd say he had care in him, even if you couldn't tell it by looking at him.

WSSK

WhySoSeriosKal
09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
George Washington is my Favourite. I'm vary big fan of him. I read his full biography which is really fantastic.

I've read quite a bit, too. It's amazing how much he did.

WSSK

D.I.D.
09-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Thomas Paine, easily

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Paine

WhySoSeriosKal
09-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Thomas Paine, easily

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Paine

Ah. Good to see a new opinion. :)

WSSK