PDA

View Full Version : Is the Connor Statue's flag wrong?

The King Boar
09-17-2012, 04:53 AM
Firstly, apologies if this has been asked before, I have searched for ~30 minutes, but don't have the patience to search through a 247 page thread for the answer, and search has failed me.

Anways, this may just be me or marketing getting overly enthusiastic, but what is going on with the flag on Connor's statue for the US Limited Edition? I count 18 stripes on the flag for the US edition, but 13 for the European edition. They look identical otherwise. To be fair, I'm not an scholar of early US history, but I'm pretty sure the flag had 13 stripes during the time the game takes place. This more or less breaks the pre order for me, I'm not paying $120 for a statue that doesn't even have a correct flag. So what's going on Ubi?

To wit:
Freedom edition - 13 stripes
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/25/ac3freedomeditionmockup.jpg

US edition - 18 stripes
http://static9.cdn.ubi.com/en-US/images/AC3102_LE_Render_smalltcm1961555.jpg

LoyalACFan
09-17-2012, 05:01 AM
You know what, you're totally right... The flag never had 18 stripes, they were meant to signify the 13 colonies and that has never changed. I dunno what their problem is, the cloth flag in the LE is correct...

SixKeys
09-17-2012, 09:30 AM
It could be just me, but the European statue looks more fake, it may be concept art for what the statue was supposed to look like before the cast was created. The LE poster is clearly a photo of the actual statue. It would be nice if Mr_Shade or someone else could weigh in and confirm which is the correct one.

Locopells
09-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't get why it's got the flag at all - non of the other statues felt the need for a flag to set the period and if he's neutral in the game, it's mis-marketing once again to have him under it...

SixKeys
09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
If you don't like the flag, I would imagine it's easy to remove.

pacmanate
09-17-2012, 02:13 PM
It could be just me, but the European statue looks more fake, it may be concept art for what the statue was supposed to look like before the cast was created. The LE poster is clearly a photo of the actual statue. It would be nice if Mr_Shade or someone else could weigh in and confirm which is the correct one.

Hes on holiday, but I think one is defo a mock up. Both are similar but not identical, if you look at Connors head and where he is looking it is slightly different in both, same goes for the way he is standing on the rock and where his hidden blade is.

Bastiaen
09-17-2012, 03:46 PM
You know what, you're totally right... The flag never had 18 stripes, they were meant to signify the 13 colonies and that has never changed. I dunno what their problem is, the cloth flag in the LE is correct...

Actually, the American flag had many variants, even during the revolution, in fact, the Betsy Ross, commonly thought to be the original, was not the first. One iteration of the flash, used during the war of 1812, had 15 stripes, and was the flag that inspired Francis Scott Keys to pen the words of the Star Spangled Banner. Also, I only count 16 on the statue, though I'm not aware of any flags with that number of stripes. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_flag#section_6

The King Boar
09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
If you don't like the flag, I would imagine it's easy to remove.

I don't want to remove it though, I want it to be right. I like the idea of the flag, but it has to be right.

Actually, the American flag had many variants, even during the revolution, in fact, the Betsy Ross, commonly thought to be the original, was not the first. One iteration of the flash, used during the war of 1812, had 15 stripes, and was the flag that inspired Francis Scott Keys to pen the words of the Star Spangled Banner. Also, I only count 16 on the statue, though I'm not aware of any flags with that number of stripes. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_flag#section_6

Hmmm... this one does have 16. I remember Amazon at one point having one with 18, so that's what I was going off of. Could have sworn it was 18 when I counted again last night though. Either way, no known American flag ever had an even number of stripes.

itsamea-mario
09-17-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't get why it's got the flag at all - non of the other statues felt the need for a flag to set the period and if he's neutral in the game, it's mis-marketing once again to have him under it...

The flag is important for the era. none of the other games had the birth of a nation as a theme.

freddie_1897
09-17-2012, 09:15 PM
well, its a european version. we won't care as much as the people in the states

SixKeys
09-17-2012, 09:40 PM
well, its a european version. we won't care as much as the people in the states

It would be weird for them to make such an obvious mistake, though. The games always strive for historical accuracy.

E-Zekiel
09-17-2012, 10:00 PM
As mentioned before, the flag went through a lot of incarnation before being finalized. "13 stripes" wasn't really an important part of the original flag, because the thirteen colonies were already represented (by the stars). In fact, historically, the stripes were the most inconsistent part among the flags.

Locopells
09-18-2012, 12:30 AM
The flag is important for the era. none of the other games had the birth of a nation as a theme.

Yes, but it's a statue of the character - it's not meant to be an abstract of the story.

Bastiaen
09-18-2012, 07:13 AM
As mentioned before, the flag went through a lot of incarnation before being finalized. "13 stripes" wasn't really an important part of the original flag, because the thirteen colonies were already represented (by the stars). In fact, historically, the stripes were the most inconsistent part among the flags.

Nope. It was the stars actually. You can follow my link on the last page and see that there were some really bizarre designs.

The King Boar
09-18-2012, 10:38 PM
It would be weird for them to make such an obvious mistake, though. The games always strive for historical accuracy.

That is exactly why I'm holding off on a pre-order of the CE simply because if this. It doesn't really matter how the context of the flag fits in with the character, but more that it needs to be correct if there.