PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wielding

Ielgon
09-15-2012, 07:09 PM
I read in an article a while ago that the way dual wielding works is that Connor wields a tool in his right hand (the article mentioned muskets, his bow and pistols) and a weapon in his left (the article mentioned his tomahawk and hidden blade). Only one problem with this: he wields the tomahawk in his right for as far as I'm aware.

Does this mean the tomahawk is a tool so will always be in the right hand and that you will have both a weapon/left hidden blade under weapons and a tool/right hidden blade under tools? Or was this just an error in the article?

Lets turn this into a general discussion about dual wielding:
How much freedom will we have with dual wielding? Will we be able to select which weapon goes into which hand? Will we be able to wield two weapons (say two swords or two tomahawks or a sword and the tomahawk) or are we limited to one weapon and a smaller weapon/tool? Will we be able to choose with which hand (and thus which weapon/tool) Connor will attack one enemy with and then press another button to attack another one with the other hand (like press the "right hand" button to slash at a guard with the tomahawk, then press the "left hand" button and another direction to stab a different guard with the hidden blade and then to finish it off press the "left hand" button again while pointing in the first guards direction to stab him with the hidden blade and finish him off)?

Let's discuss! :D

LoyalACFan
09-15-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to individually assign different weapons to each hand. I'm not sure how, since we've seen the weapon wheel and it doesn't appear like we have any way to do that, but we've seen videos/screenshots of tomahawk+knife, tomahawk+hidden blade, tomahawk+gun, and sword+knife. And we've also seen shots of him fighting with only one weapon, i.e. the sword in the Mayan Ruins teaser. Since we've already seen him dual-wielding with swords and knives, I'm not sure how that would be possible without going to your weapon wheel and physically selecting ONLY the sword with an empty left hand.

But yes, overall I'm still kind of confused how this will play out.

Sushiglutton
09-15-2012, 07:41 PM
It is confusing at this stage. The way I have understood it from looking at the demos is that he will have one short range weapon (for example the tomahawk) and one ranged weapon (pistols, ropedart) assigned. When he fights the short-range wepon will be combined with the flipped hidden blade (looks like a knife). He will also be able to quickfire his ranged wepon at any point. My guess is that we won't be able to combine how we like. The flipped hidden-blade will always be one of the two weapons.

Ork3n
09-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Well, i'm sure he can't dual wield 2 long ranged weapons at once, but he can both range + close and close + close.

Sushiglutton
09-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Well, i'm sure he can't dual wield 2 long ranged weapons at once, but he can both range + close and close + close.

It depends on what you mean. There are two weapon-slots on the HUD. I'm pretty sure one of them has to be ranged weapon and the other close. When in a melee fight I believe that he will pull out his flipped hidden blade as the second close weapon. At any time you can quickfire the ranged weapon.

Why they haven't done like Arkham and allowed you to quickfire any ranged weapon at any time is very weird to me.

LoyalACFan
09-15-2012, 08:00 PM
The flipped hidden-blade will always be one of the two weapons.

I don't think so. If you look carefully at the fight moves in the latest Inside AC video, you can see several instances where he's holding a knife in his left hand that definitely isn't the hidden blade we've been shown. It's way too long, and it doesn't have the little curved piece at the back. This either confirms that we can use non-hidden blade knives in the left hand, or that there will be more than one kind of hidden blade we can use.

Sushiglutton
09-15-2012, 08:05 PM
I don't think so. If you look carefully at the fight moves in the latest Inside AC video, you can see several instances where he's holding a knife in his left hand that definitely isn't the hidden blade we've been shown. It's way too long, and it doesn't have the little curved piece at the back. This either confirms that we can use non-hidden blade knives in the left hand, or that there will be more than one kind of hidden blade we can use.

Ah, ok I guess my theory is wrong then. I haven't seen the last episode because I thought it seemed a bit too spoily and I'm pleased with what I've seen so far :).

LoyalACFan
09-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Ah, ok I guess my theory is wrong then. I haven't seen the last episode because I thought it seemed a bit too spoily and I'm pleased with what I've seen so far :).

You should go ahead and watch it. The dialogue doesn't really reveal anything about Connor that we didn't already know, but you can see some pretty sick fight moves in it :cool:

pacmanate
09-15-2012, 08:54 PM
You can dual wield on AC3

BBALive
09-15-2012, 09:07 PM
It seems to be main-hand weapon (tomahawk, sword, war-club, second hidden blade) + off-hand weapon (various knives, hidden blade, smaller weapons) + a tool

In episode 3 where Connor grabs the guard and executes him with the flintlock pistol, he was dual-wielding the tomahawk and the knife. He countered the guard and then pulled out the pistol. So tool-specific counters seem to occur when you counter and then press the tool button, as opposed to countering and then pressing the attack button. So you can safely say that you can't actually wield a pistol in the same way you wield the tomahawk, swords or war clubs, etc.

Of course there's also two-handed weapons such as the axe and the musket. The Lost Mayan Ruins trailer also showed that you aren't forced to dual-wield the one-handed weapons, since Connor fights using just the sword in that trailer.

E-Zekiel
09-15-2012, 10:32 PM

Look again. He flicks his hidden blade and then pulls it out and it basically becomes a knife/dagger. That IS the hidden blade.

LoyalACFan
09-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Look again. He flicks his hidden blade and then pulls it out and it basically becomes a knife/dagger. That IS the hidden blade.

We must be looking at different screens. I'm aware that he does have a hidden blade that flicks out like a knife, but in many screens in the trailer, he's shown using another knife-type weapon in his left hand that looks nothing like it. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_DG5YvbEDg&feature=player_embedded#t=211s

You can see the flipped hidden blade at 3:30. Notice the relatively short blade, icepick grip style, and the curved, claw-like part that sticks out the hilt past his thumb. Now look at the fight scene at roughly 3:37; the part where he does a spin, slashes a soldier's neck with his right-handed weapon, and then stabs his chest with his left-hand weapon. Look VERY closely at the knife in his left hand. It doesn't have the curved claw thing at the hilt, the blade looks significantly longer, and he isn't holding it in an icepick grip; something that wouldn't be possible with the flipped hidden blade design.

It's definitely a detached knife.

Ashen-AngelFox
09-16-2012, 12:12 AM
We must be looking at different screens. I'm aware that he does have a hidden blade that flicks out like a knife, but in many screens in the trailer, he's shown using another knife-type weapon in his left hand that looks nothing like it. Check this out.

You can see the flipped hidden blade at 3:30. Notice the relatively short blade, icepick grip style, and the curved, claw-like part that sticks out the hilt past his thumb. Now look at the fight scene at roughly 3:37; the part where he does a spin, slashes a soldier's neck with his right-handed weapon, and then stabs his chest with his left-hand weapon. Look VERY closely at the knife in his left hand. It doesn't have the curved claw thing at the hilt, the blade looks significantly longer, and he isn't holding it in an icepick grip; something that wouldn't be possible with the flipped hidden blade design.

I don't think it is a detached knife, but there is an difference in the blade length. Although, at 3:30 I could argue that the blade looks shorter there due to perspective. The blade isn't pointing directly to the side, so we can't use that to judge the blade length. And if you pause the Frontier demo at about 1:18 just as Connor's about to skin the deer, you can see the blade is closer in length to the blade in the parts you refer to and has the curved blade on the other end. That being said, if you go to around 4:53, the blade is much shorter than in much of the combat, but you'll also notice that the hidden blade doesn't have the short, curved blade on the other end. And yes, there is still some perspective on the blade in this shot with it being angled slightly away from the viewer, but not as a severely as at 3:30.

And I think at the PAX Prime Q&A, either Steve Masters or Philippe Bergeron said that the hidden blade can swivel in either direction. And, I'm inclined to believe that. Between 4:57 and 4:59, when Connor stabs the Hessian/Jäger then runs and kicks the Redcoat officer, he has the hidden blade in the more traditional forward grip. The blades themselves match between most scenes and it lacks the curved blade on the other end like at 4:53, but you can see the rail that the whole mechanism is attached, too.

But, I'm not saying that there aren't going to be knives other than the hidden blade, just that the Inside AC video does not depict such a weapon. If anything, I think the footage just shows either two different hidden blades, or at the very least that the one we have can be upgraded to have the second, shorter blade on the other end. Which I believe is a possibility you noted in your original post about this.

Ielgon
09-16-2012, 12:27 PM
You can dual wield on AC3

Oh really? XD

The more I look at it the more it seems that with dual wielding they mean weapon + tilted hidden blade, we haven't seen Connor use any combination without the hidden blade yet. It's still dual wielding of course, just not a lot of freedom in it because it essentially becomes the same as the other Assassin's Creeds where you could just pick a weapon and use that: It's still just pick a weapon, except now the hidden blade always comes with it in the other hand.

deskp
09-16-2012, 01:45 PM
In one of the screens of the weapons wheel, we can see a little indicator showing wich hand a wepon is selected to. indicating u can pick the hand

Splatterhausen
09-16-2012, 02:28 PM
I think the thing that most concerns me with dual wielding melee weapons is the counter-attacking. I Want to know if its going to be a lot more like Batman Arkham Asylum/City were you can counter-attack while you are in the middle of striking/kill chain.

Splatterhausen
09-16-2012, 03:11 PM

Can someone explain to me how to put a video directly onto a post like this please?

Sushiglutton
09-16-2012, 03:19 PM
In one of the screens of the weapons wheel, we can see a little indicator showing wich hand a wepon is selected to. indicating u can pick the hand

Do you have a link to that? Because in the one below I can't see it.

http://i.imgur.com/EBs0q.jpg

Ielgon
09-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Could you find that one and post it? The only ones I've found so far just have the indication of left = weapons and right = tools, there's no selecting a "hand" visible on any of them.

Can someone explain to me how to put a video directly onto a post like this please?

When you post on the middle of the little window there's a couple of buttons at the top, it's emoticons, link, unlink, picture, video and quote in that order (you want to press the little film reel). When you click on video it will ask you for an url, enter the url there and the video will be embedded directly into the post. ^^

Do you have a link to that? Because in the one below I can't see it.

http://i.imgur.com/EBs0q.jpg

In a similair screenshot next to the pistol it says right holster, maybe he meant that? In this screenshot if you look at the pistol icon it's got two quarter circles at the top, I think the right one is the right holster and the left one is the left. That way you could select which pistol you want to use.

Notice how that would place both pistols in the tools section? That would imply that it's not that the right side of the screen is for the right hand and the left is for the left, but that it's right for tools and left for weapons (and that items you have two of get those semi circles so you can select which one, maybe the hidden blade will follow a similair system once you get both?). That would mean it is indeed left for weapons and that a weapon always gets paired with the hidden blade (so that dual wielding will always be one weapon + one hidden blade), and that the right one is for tools which you can "quickfire". If this is how it works you can't choose which hand to wield what in and it'll all be set combinations you get to pick from.

E-Zekiel
09-17-2012, 09:23 PM

I dunno. I feel like distance from the camera is the only thing making it look so different.

But even if it's a detached knife...I didn't mean to construe myself in a way that he doesn't have any detached knives. I was just saying that his hidden blade becomes a knife. I don't see any reason they wouldn't allow you to have any knives other than just the one. :p

Ielgon
09-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Just reviving this thread for the purpose of closure about the dual wielding. In the latest making of video they said that it's always nice to have the knife because then they could do quick directional changes during combat. To me that's a clear signal that the knife will always be the second weapon, there will probably be no tomahawk+tomahawk or two swords or combinations we can make ourselves. So in essence it's still just a one weapon system (because you can pick one, the other is always the knife) but the way Connor does combat is dual wielding that weapon with the knife.

Sushiglutton
09-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Just reviving this thread for the purpose of closure about the dual wielding. In the latest making of video they said that it's always nice to have the knife because then they could do quick directional changes during combat. To me that's a clear signal that the knife will always be the second weapon, there will probably be no tomahawk+tomahawk or two swords or combinations we can make ourselves. So in essence it's still just a one weapon system (because you can pick one, the other is always the knife) but the way Connor does combat is dual wielding that weapon with the knife.

Hmm I'm going to score one point to myself even though I said "always flipped hidden blade", but there might be other knives as well. Anyway I now have one point :D!

pacmanate
09-27-2012, 02:34 PM

Mmm.. I was always afraid of this. Makes me wonder that it wasn't THAT much effort to change animations. They essential have the same weapons throughout.

projectpat06
09-27-2012, 03:12 PM

In one of the recent vids, Hutchinson says you can upgrade the hidden blade this time around. There's a picture floating around of the new hidden blade mechanism and it's basically just an attached knife on a swivel as we all know. From the looks of it though, the knife looks to be easily detachable for other versions to be attached.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/224586_465447120161632_349648855_n.jpg

LoyalACFan
09-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Mmm.. I was always afraid of this. Makes me wonder that it wasn't THAT much effort to change animations. They essential have the same weapons throughout.

I'm slightly disappointed as well, but they're still using new animations. Ezio and Altair never dual-wielded weapons (not including the hidden gun and throwing knife combos in Brotherhood) so they still had to make new animations to incorporate the knife.

tjbyrum1
09-27-2012, 05:17 PM
I think you can dual-wield any two weapons, such as the Tomahawk and the Dagger, and you control these using the Square/X(PS3/360) button. But you also have tools, such as the pistols, which are controlled with Triangle/Y.

Ielgon
09-27-2012, 05:43 PM
I think you can dual-wield any two weapons, such as the Tomahawk and the Dagger, and you control these using the Square/X(PS3/360) button. But you also have tools, such as the pistols, which are controlled with Triangle/Y.

And what makes you think that? So far we haven't heard or seen any other combinations and in the making of episode 2 they specifically mention the knife is always nice to have in combat. Not to be negative about it, it's still super cool. It's just that up until now a lot of people assumed that dual wielding meant we could pick any two weapons and that always seeing the knife an tomahawk just meant it was the "default" combination (and that there would therefore be a lot of unseen moves and combinations when we actually got the game), but now it turns out the combination is probably always something + knife and it's a bit dissapointing.

And remember this is about dual wielding main weapons in both hands, weapon(+ knife) on one button and a tool on the other button is not the kind of dual wielding we mean

tjbyrum1
09-27-2012, 05:45 PM
And what makes you think that? So far we haven't heard or seen any other combinations and in the making of episode 2 they specifically mention the knife is always nice to have in combat. Not to be negative about it, it's still super cool. It's just that up until now a lot of people assumed that dual wielding meant we could pick any two weapons and that always seeing the knife an tomahawk just meant it was the "default" combination (and that there would therefore be a lot of unseen moves and combinations when we actually got the game), but now it turns out the combination is probably always something + knife and it's a bit dissapointing.

Sometimes I just like to put information I think is true but is probably not.

BBALive
09-27-2012, 07:29 PM

I assumed it would work like that.

Assassin_M
09-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Anybody else thought Alex say "Jew Wielding" when he says "Dual Wielding":p

I laughed xD

pacmanate
09-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Anybody else thought Alex say "Jew Wielding" when he says "Dual Wielding":p

I laughed xD

Wait... we can't Jew Wield?! ****! *Cancels pre order*

Ielgon
09-28-2012, 10:19 AM
wait... We can't jew wield?! ****! *cancels pre order*

we can't!!!!??? D=

PaCmAn0894
10-02-2012, 10:46 AM
connors mine dual wield are the tomahawk his knife and the pistols.

generallsj
10-04-2012, 12:13 AM
So Alex Hutchinson lied? See at 4:00 http://www.gamespot.com/assassins-creed-iii/videos/assassins-creed-iii-comic-con-2012-stage-demo-6387116/

Calvarok
10-04-2012, 12:19 AM
I think you can do all combinations, but not duplicates of the same weapon.