PDA

View Full Version : Age restriction on the AC forums.

De Filosoof
09-15-2012, 03:00 PM
So what do you guys think?

RatonhnhakeFan
09-15-2012, 03:06 PM
It should be implemented. The game is for adult audience, covering adult topics (assassinations, religion, politics, sex etc), I don't exactly understand why should forum members of such a game restrict themselves from discussing these topics that are important and relevant to the franchise just so kids who can't play these games anyway may read the forums.

Slayer_WTF
09-15-2012, 03:24 PM
If we had an invasion of kids who write nonsense I said yes.

Fortunately here in the forum discussion Ubisoft is always at levels never immature and childish.

De Filosoof
09-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Oops, the second choice is pretty ironic actually :p. My bad.

Ork3n
09-15-2012, 04:48 PM
What age restriction? xDDD i've started playing Ac with 13 years old :p

Assassin_M
09-15-2012, 04:52 PM
What age restriction? xDDD i've started playing Ac with 13 years old :p
You are the reason we have restrictions on these Forums..

Kit572
09-15-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm curious as too what the age restriction would be... In Australia, you have to be at least 15 to play it and I'm guessing its similair in the US? So I'm guessing an age restriction of over 15-16

Assassin_M
09-15-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm curious as too what the age restriction would be... In Australia, you have to be at least 15 to play it and I'm guessing its similair in the US? So I'm guessing an age restriction of over 15-16
I swear to God we`re talking about the Forums, not the games xD

Kit572
09-15-2012, 04:59 PM
but it is a forum on a game intended for 15 and over, so I'm guessing the age restriction on here would be 15 and over.

Assassin_M
09-15-2012, 05:01 PM
but it is a forum on a game intended for 15 and over, so I'm guessing the age restriction on here would be 15 and over.
Sadly... Its all ages..

Kit572
09-15-2012, 05:03 PM
I know at the moment its all ages, but if we were too have an age restriction, I'm guessing 15 and over... right?

Ork3n
09-15-2012, 05:10 PM
You are the reason we have restrictions on these Forums..

Am i? Do you think i only talk bollocks?
How old do you think i am right now?

Assassin_M
09-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Am i? Do you think i only talk bollocks?
How old do you think i am right now?
I was joking regarding your young age xD

Kit572
09-15-2012, 05:16 PM
I was joking regarding your young age xD

Oh come on M, its hard to detect sarcasm in written text.

I learned that the hard way xD

ACfan443
09-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Age restriction on the forums should correspond with the minimum age restriction of the game, in this case 15+

Kit572
09-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Age restriction on the forums should correspond with the minimum age restriction of the game, in this case 15+

Although come to think of it I don't think an age restriction will do much justice because the under 15s will fake their age anyway xD

TheHumanTowel
09-15-2012, 05:32 PM
I voted maybe. It would be nice to be free of the censor and be allowed discuss more adult topics but unfortunately as we all know an age restriction wouldn't stop kids from getting into this forum and the extra freedom could just be abused by immature kids.

I definitely think the censor should be loosened up at the very least. Fart (F.art) and **** (D.amn) should not be censored for god's sake.

EDIT: Oh hey fart isn't censored any more! Fart fart fart. I feel so free.

Locopells
09-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Although come to think of it I don't think an age restriction will do much justice because the under 15s will fake their age anyway xD

Yeah but that way, if they get traumatised, it's their own fault...

Kit572
09-15-2012, 05:46 PM
I voted maybe. It would be nice to be free of the censor and be allowed discuss more adult topics but unfortunately as we all know an age restriction wouldn't stop kids from getting into this forum and the extra freedom could just be abused by immature kids.

I definitely think the censor should be loosened up at the very least. Fart (F.art) and **** (D.amn) should not be censored for god's sake.

EDIT: Oh hey fart isn't censored any more! Fart fart fart. I feel so free.

I agree d.amn shouldn't be censored. We can say crap but not d.amn?

POP1Fan
09-15-2012, 05:49 PM
I voted yes, but I think it's hard to do it, since it needs to fit the rating of the game and in some countries is 15 and some 18. I think if it happens it should go with 15.

Locopells
09-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Well it wouldn't be that hard to make the age restriction based on your IP.

projectpat06
09-15-2012, 05:52 PM
You have to be 18 to purchase a Mature game in the US. I'm 24, and they usually ask for my ID when I buy a Mature rated game. But as CoutnerNinja mentioned, there's really no way to regulate the age restrictions online since you can lie about your age. I honestly don't think the forums would be any different. We can still discuss Mature topics now with a manner of professionalism rather than immaturity.

Kit572
09-15-2012, 06:02 PM
You have to be 18 to purchase a Mature game in the US. I'm 24, and they usually ask for my ID when I buy a Mature rated game. But as CounterNinja mentioned, there's really no way to regulate the age restrictions online since you can lie about your age. I honestly don't think the forums would be any different. We can still discuss Mature topics now with a manner of professionalism rather than immaturity.

Fixed your typo xD

MT4K
09-15-2012, 06:03 PM
This sort of subject has come up in the past. I cannot remember how it overall went, but suffice to say the Forums are still rated for Everyone. So you shouldn't expect that to change due to this thread.

BATISTABUS
09-15-2012, 06:10 PM
The game is rated M and PEGI 18, so it would make sense not to be able to participate in conversation unless your country would let you buy the game.

HisSpiritLives
09-15-2012, 06:24 PM
It should be implemented. The game is for adult audience, covering adult topics (assassinations, religion, politics, sex etc), I don't exactly understand why should forum members of such a game restrict themselves from discussing these topics that are important and relevant to the franchise just so kids who can't play these games anyway may read the forums.

Many kids play AC and we cant talk about religion and sex themes not because of kids but because that are really touchy themes.

BATISTABUS
09-15-2012, 06:33 PM
We can talk about those things if they relate to the game. I've never seen a mod come in and say "HEY! This topic is too mature! There are children here!" I think that kids shouldn't be allowed on here simply because of the rating of the game, not necessarily because of how the forum is moderated.

I've never held back, at least...and I never will.

MetalCreed
09-15-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm almost 16, yet no one can ever tell that I'm one because I'm not a complete idiot on the forums ;)

inb4someonecallsmeanidiot

lothario-da-be
09-15-2012, 09:00 PM
I'am 15 and i'am the one who made that religion thread. I'am also a lot wiser and less 'kid' then people of my age.History is my fovorite subject so you can't hold me away from assassin's creed. People shoulden't think so fast that -16 year olds are 'kids'

lothario-da-be
09-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Many kids play AC and we cant talk about religion and sex themes not because of kids but because that are really touchy themes.
I started playing ac when i was 12.

lothario-da-be
09-15-2012, 09:05 PM
You have to be 18 to purchase a Mature game in the US. I'm 24, and they usually ask for my ID when I buy a Mature rated game. But as CoutnerNinja mentioned, there's really no way to regulate the age restrictions online since you can lie about your age. I honestly don't think the forums would be any different. We can still discuss Mature topics now with a manner of professionalism rather than immaturity.
WOW they ask your identity card? In belgium i bought god of war 3 when i was 14 i was alone and nobody asked something, they NEVER say something about the age restriction.And I'am glad they don't.:)

RatonhnhakeFan
09-15-2012, 09:06 PM
I'am 15 and i'am the one who made that religion thread. I'am also a lot wiser and less 'kid' then people of my age.History is my fovorite subject so you can't hold me away from assassin's creed. People shoulden't think so fast that -16 year olds are 'kids'I don't think that all teenagers are immature. However, we're not talking just teenagers. E for everyone means even a 5 years old kid can read these forum. This is just ridiculous.

shanethebouncer
I started playing AC right out the womb.

pacmanate
There needs to be a restriction. It's absoultely stupid how the game is an 18 yet the forums are all ages. Because of little plebs we can't even casually swear

LightRey
09-15-2012, 09:09 PM
There needs to be a restriction. It's absoultely stupid how the game is an 18 yet the forums are all ages. Because of little plebs we can't even casually swear
I doubt that's the reason we're not allowed to swear. I'm quite sure it's just to help keep discussions from escalating into flame wars.

HisSpiritLives
09-15-2012, 09:29 PM
I think this restriction stuff is pointless, even if forum was restricted you can just lie about ages.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-15-2012, 09:31 PM
I think this restriction stuff is pointless, even if forum was restricted you can just lie about ages.
But if you lie about your age, it ain't a problem of the forum's owner anymore (Ubisoft in this case). Parents can't sue if their kid went to 15+/18+ forum and lied about his/her age

HisSpiritLives
09-15-2012, 09:36 PM
But if you lie about your age, it ain't a problem of the forum's owner anymore (Ubisoft in this case). Parents can't sue if their kid went to 15+/18+ forum and lied about his/her age

That is the way Ubisoft can protect themselves,and i think that someone about 12 can play AC if he is inteligent,but it can have negative effects too.

OnlineSettings
09-15-2012, 09:36 PM
You all are talking about this like it would actually work. Like people wouldn't just make a fake birth date. Hell, I make fake birth dates so I don't get creepers on me. It doesn't matter either way.

pacmanate
09-15-2012, 10:59 PM
It's not about little kids being here, it's the restrictions WE have becaus of them ******* ***

Ork3n
09-16-2012, 12:07 AM
You all are talking about this like it would actually work. Like people wouldn't just make a fake birth date. Hell, I make fake birth dates so I don't get creepers on me. It doesn't matter either way.

The point is, this forums has some restrictions in the discussions because it has no age restriction. If it had age restriction, even though ppl would lie, it wouldn't be ubisoft problem anymore but a problem of the kid that lied.

Black_Widow9
09-16-2012, 02:12 AM
This poll is not going to change the fact that the Forums are open to all ages. Different countries have different ratings and age restrictions so that makes it extremely difficult to implement something like this when it is open to anyone who speaks English. Doing it by IP addresses also wouldn't work because it is too easy to mask them.

The rules are not only in place just because the Forums are all ages but to create a respectful environment where people can talk about things in a civil and constructive manner and not worry about being attacked. It is possible to have "adult" discussions without the use of language and in a respectful manner. That is actually a huge part of being an adult.

AssassinVenice
09-16-2012, 02:47 AM
I think that an age restriction smells too bureaucratic. I'm 14 and I'm totally aware of all the B$ that adults try to keep us, the "kids", away from.
I think that the problem with ratings is that by implementing those, people hide too much from the kids, growing their hunger for knowledge even more.

Our society is so laughable...

Assassin_M
09-16-2012, 02:49 AM
I think that an age restriction smells too bureaucratic. I'm 14 and I'm totally aware of all the B$ that adults try to keep us, the "kids", away from.
I think that the problem with ratings is that by implementing those, people hide too much from the kids, growing their hunger for knowledge even more.

Its Ironic..

"Mother why is this bad ?"
"Dont ask questions, son.. Just know that it is bad"

Truth is, He`ll just go out and get the answer Somewhere else, which most likely wont be correct..

vZ POiSoN vZ
09-16-2012, 05:17 AM
I don't think they're should be an age restriction. I'm 16 which is not exactly considered "adult". As long as someone isn't completely immature, I don't see the big deal. So now if someone is immature, just throw them onto the ignore/block list. Just because someone is young doesn't mean they can't handle themselves on the forums.

InfamousQ1987
09-16-2012, 08:33 AM
just kus u growed up dont mean u need to use the potty mouth its not the lord way fellers

And exactly how old are you? I'm assuming your a child because your are the reason I'm voting...YES!!!

HisSpiritLives
09-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Its Ironic..

"Mother why is this bad ?"
"Dont ask questions, son.. Just know that it is bad"

Truth is, He`ll just go out and get the answer Somewhere else, which most likely wont be correct..

This..

De Filosoof
09-16-2012, 10:05 AM

I agree :).

NinjaOnFire
09-16-2012, 11:21 AM
I chose other, the forums should have the same age restriction as the game (15 in UK). IF you can't buy it for yourself then you should not really be playing it, saying this some of my favourite memories of childhood are playing MK and Vice City.

BeCk41
09-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Should people who talk on the forums be age restricted? Hmmm... I would love to say; "Yes kick all people who cannot handle the topics being discussed off the forum!!!" buuuut I cannot, so yes and no. Although the Assassins Creed Games are meant for gamers ages 17+ Mature, this doesn't stop younger kids from getting a hold of a copy of the game. So when kiddies get their hands on a copy and try to get the Uplay rewards (hence signing up for a Uplay account and access to the forum) no one can really stop them from doing so. I gotta say, I'm not on the forums as much as I used to be for whatever reason, but I must imagine the frustrating forumers who want to discuss more advanced topics and can't do so because of a younger audience. You can't really discriminate age here unless you have a very good reason to do so I guess.