PDA

View Full Version : joystick question

K22a1c
02-15-2004, 04:21 PM
hey i have a quick question. i have a logitech wingman extreme and i've been playin this game for awhile but noticed its really not responding well. i havta play at half speed because i just can't keep up with it it either responds way too fast and i lose control or it's really slow in a turn or climb. this is with any kind of plane so thats not the problem. i am using the default settings. does anyone have any idea what axis\etc setting might work better for me? and does anyone else play at half speed mode? thanx

K22a1c
02-15-2004, 04:21 PM
hey i have a quick question. i have a logitech wingman extreme and i've been playin this game for awhile but noticed its really not responding well. i havta play at half speed because i just can't keep up with it it either responds way too fast and i lose control or it's really slow in a turn or climb. this is with any kind of plane so thats not the problem. i am using the default settings. does anyone have any idea what axis\etc setting might work better for me? and does anyone else play at half speed mode? thanx

ZG77_Lignite
02-15-2004, 09:25 PM
This was about to slip off the page, so I'll try and give some information, or maybe someone else has better info as I know nothing of the logitech sticks. Also more information from you would be very helpful, such as you skill level (are you confident fighting against AI, online, etc), what realism settings, the performance of the game (FPS).

But to start with:

1) Possibly your stick is getting worn out, this is often called 'spiking' as the inputs you give are either missed or exagerated. This happens to all sticks sooner or later, and required fixing or replacing.

2) Possibly your in-game (or Windows Calibration) stick settings are over sensitive. Go into 'Hardware', 'Input', I believe it is defaulted to the 'roll' axis, use the drop down list to select the 'pitch' axis, then you can change the 'curve' by moving the sliders. Experimentation is best, but you can try something like this to see if it helps: 1, 2, 4, 7, 13, 25, 50, 75, 100 (umm, I forget how many sliders there are, make sure the last one is 100 to get full deflection in game).

3) The last thing may be your flight technique. This is a reasonably high fidelity simulator, and requires a very light touch. These are not Tie Fighters, and they do not behave as such. You must use very small control changes in order to avoid Stalling. Stalling is defined as exceeding Angle Of Attack, in laymans terms that means you can only turn 'so' sharp. Higher speeds allow for higher Angles of Attack (or simply put: speed allows for pulling harder on the stick).

Hope these help, if they are too basic, please disregard, if they are too complex please ask more questions. More information from you will help to diagnose your problem.