PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone going to miss the hook blade?

Free_Hidings
09-15-2012, 01:10 AM
I wasn't overly fond of the hook blade when I first heard about it, it sounds a bit gimmicky and doesn't look as cool as a double hidden blade. However in playing Revelations I came to quite like it. It wasn't important, but it was fun and added a bit of flavour in both combat and maneovering.

Obviously it isn't returning in AC3. Does anyone think they will miss it? I won't miss it at all but I don't despise it.

I won't miss bombs either.

I do think pickpocketing should be like it was in AC1. It was far cooler and more of a rush. Not that I don't enjoy pickpocketing in more recent games, and getting 20+ civilians after you on Revelations is pretty hilarious.

Is there any news on whether or not horses can gallop?

itsamea-mario
09-15-2012, 01:10 AM
No, no i will not.

Legendz54
09-15-2012, 01:11 AM
nope

kriegerdesgottes
09-15-2012, 01:12 AM
No. I'm so glad they are ditching it.

Locopells
09-15-2012, 01:16 AM
It was kinda fun. I'll miss doing it, but it would really work in the new situation.

playassassins1
09-15-2012, 01:20 AM
I didn't really like the hookblade, so no. I won't miss it.

LightRey
09-15-2012, 01:35 AM
I liked it, but I don't think I'll miss it really. The freerunning in this game really doesn't need it.

Ork3n
09-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Well, i won't miss the hook... the blade part is back xDDD

SixKeys
09-15-2012, 01:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Locopells
09-15-2012, 02:08 AM
WTF was that!?

AssassinGame1
09-15-2012, 02:18 AM
I have always loved the hook blade since its first arrival. I am going to miss it alot. The hook blade makes you free roam faster and I dindnt like that in AC2 and brotherhood u free roam so slowly. In revelations Ubisoft fixed it.

ToniTorsi
09-15-2012, 02:29 AM
Not in the slightest ;)

Layytez
09-15-2012, 02:43 AM
**** no

masterfenix2009
09-15-2012, 02:57 AM
I loved that thing. It's kind of annoying to climb buildings in AC1, AC2, and AC:B without it. I probably won't miss it in AC3 because, from what I have seen, the buildings seem pretty small.

LoyalACFan
09-15-2012, 03:21 AM
No, I'm not going to miss it at all. Although in the sequel, they're probably going to give Connor a "hook-tomahawk." :nonchalance:

SixKeys
09-15-2012, 03:24 AM
No, I'm not going to miss it at all. Although in the sequel, they're probably going to give Connor a "hook-tomahawk." :nonchalance:

It has two parts, you see. The hook and the tomahawk.

LoyalACFan
09-15-2012, 03:28 AM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0kdnupTT31qzjoy8o1_400.png

HorTyS
09-15-2012, 03:37 AM
I have always loved the hook blade since its first arrival. I am going to miss it alot. The hook blade makes you free roam faster and I dindnt like that in AC2 and brotherhood u free roam so slowly. In revelations Ubisoft fixed it.

Hahaha, it didn't speed things up that significantly. It was seriously one of the least significant additions they've ever made to the series...

Tomahook!

I'll miss the hookblade about as much as I'll miss den defense. i.e. not at all...

Free_Hidings
09-15-2012, 03:49 AM
See I think the hookblade was good fun. I won't miss it, but it did speed up movement. I would go as far as to say I prefer climbing without it, but that doesn't mean I have anything major against it. Climbing in Brotherhood was great, because you can still climb fast but it's all done with your own body and you can run around looking like Wolverine (Hookblade looks ugly =\ )

Looks like in AC3 building climbing will be much less common and major, since it's more about general movement and climbing trees, so the hookblade is not at all nessecary. I just hate on AC1 how slow he climbs! Brotherhood is fine.

I won't miss Den Defense but it was fun enough to play.

I think a double hookblade would actually be pretty awesome though in some future game... Imagine climbing up at like 3x usual speed, swinging up and up...

naran6142
09-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Nope, tho I wonder if well be able to flip guards while running

Ork3n
09-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Hahaha, it didn't speed things up that significantly. It was seriously one of the least significant additions they've ever made to the series...

Disagree...

Why didn't anyone took the joke when i said i won't miss the hook but either the blade becuase it'll stay? :|

I've just got an idea Tomahookblade :D It has 3 parts, the Tomahawk, the hook and the blade!!!

I think that slide in the ground would be better so they don't hit you with the musket when you are passing by! :D

LoyalACFan
09-15-2012, 04:18 AM

It's not like that move was useful anyway. Unless you were on like a 300-story building, the guards you threw off survived most of the time.

E-Zekiel
09-15-2012, 04:32 AM
The only thing I liked about the hookblade was knockout counters. And I'm pretty sure we'll be getting those anyway, so.

naran6142
09-15-2012, 04:58 AM
It's not like that move was useful anyway. Unless you were on like a 300-story building, the guards you threw off survived most of the time.

IKR, that wasnt annoying

But i did find flipping guards a fun way of enter combat

Paulsifer42
09-15-2012, 07:16 AM
It was cool, but as I'm playing through the games again before October, I haven't noticed missing it.

Aphex_Tim
09-15-2012, 10:15 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0kdnupTT31qzjoy8o1_400.png

Funny thing, i actually created that one and got it on the 9gag hotpage. :p

Free_Hidings
09-15-2012, 10:34 AM
I actually prefer shoulder barging / tackling guards like in Brotherhood, compared to Revelations. Though I can enjoy it in Rev, especially since it's only in that game which makes it unique and therefore less repetitive. But I love tackling / shoulder barging guards off rooves.

POP1Fan
09-15-2012, 11:01 AM
The hook-blade would be useless in this game, where most buildings are so small, and I don't think it would work when climbing trees.

andreja110s
09-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Ha! :D
And no, I am not going to miss the hookblade.

zerocooll21
09-15-2012, 12:54 PM
I'll sure miss that extra jump in climbing. The zip lines were a ton of fun too.

pacmanate
09-15-2012, 12:56 PM
The hookblade was a gimmick ubisoft made to make the free running feel "fresh". However thats all they really focused on, that and bomb making because those two things were the only new things in the game. So no, will not miss them.

Locopells
09-15-2012, 01:01 PM
I don't get why everyone is so negative about the hookblade. It was a fun addition for the situation, allowed you to do some cool stuff - I'm gonna miss robbing guards while fighting them, which saves looting them afterwards.

That said, as I've already said, it wouldn't really work in the new setting.

POP1Fan
09-15-2012, 05:51 PM
The Tomahawk has two parts. The Toma and the Hawk.

Ielgon
09-15-2012, 06:31 PM
I thought it was fine for revelations. It sped up freerunning but it always felt sluggish to me since when you used the hook you'd always swing a bit before pulling yourself up or there would be some other small animation before actually performing the movement, it didn't really feel fluent slowing everything down in my mind (even though it was faster).

That being said I didn't like how it looked and how the actual knife on it wasn't used for stabbing ingame, so you'd stab a guard with the upper part of the hook and it just looked awkward (also since it was always longer it really clashed when you made Ezio eject both hidden blades and the left was discreet while the right was humongous).

I'm glad they did away with it since it wouldn't really work with the things Connor can climb. From the recent Wii U Boston footage we can see him making jumps that would previously require the hookblade a lot faster and a lot more fluently without any aid. Although catching yourself on a roof that's a bit too far for your jump and doing a long jump by swinging on something seems possible with the tomahawk (in the new lost mayan ruins video you can see Connor slipping and then grabbing himself on the ledge with the tomahawk for about a second) so they might have kept that feature.

For the people talking about how you could vault over a guard with it and also throw them, we can assassinate on the move now which is kind of the same idea only it doesn't need to be positioned so that you throw them off of something high to kill them.

BATISTABUS
09-15-2012, 06:35 PM
I like how the Ottomans use them in the AC lore, but I won't miss using them myself.

Sushiglutton
09-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Was pretty fun to zip-line through Istanbul. But I think it was aesthetically horrible. Destroyed the beautiful clean symmetry of the double hidden blade. A hook is in general far less attractive than a blade. In this case aesthetics triumph gameplay imo, so I'm glad they got rid with it.

Free_Hidings
09-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah I hated how it looked lol, it was fun but it needs to requiestcat en pace. I do hope we can still do the long jump swing on hanging things though, that was great. Zip lines were cool too but they never made much sense to me, seemed just a tad too convinient.

lothario-da-be
09-16-2012, 06:54 AM
I think it should stay unique to the assassin's in istanbul but i liked it very much.
Look at how much new options it gave.
- ziplines
- Faster free-running
-you can break those wooden things to kill enemys
-you can steal while in combat
-I also don't know their name but the hookblade allowed you to turn left, right and forward on those 'lamps'
-a bunch of new kill animations that woulden't be possible without it.
- The hook and run

Blind2Society
09-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Hookblade? No.

Bombs? Yes

I had a ton of fun with the bombs.

lothario-da-be
09-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Hookblade? No.

Bombs? Yes

I had a ton of fun with the bombs.
for me hookblade yes
bombs yes
desmond sequences yes
den defense yes
I'am one of the few that likes all the new feateres in revelations.

DarkDreamer95
09-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Th hookblade was fun but I doubt I'll miss it... I liked it in ACR, though.

raptor41tr
09-16-2012, 10:06 AM
They added hookblade because there wasn't horse in the game (it was not suitable for the city). But in ACIII it would be useless. It was fun but wasn't so exciting.

BeCk41
09-16-2012, 02:34 PM
but... but... but...

http://zipmeme.com/uploads/generated/g1347802433183493604.jpg

Serrachio
09-16-2012, 02:36 PM
but... but... but...

But... but... but...

Constantinople was bloody antagonising to climb, so the faster speed didn't mean much.

POP1Fan
09-16-2012, 02:43 PM
for me hookblade yes
bombs yes
desmond sequences yes
den defense yes
I'am one of the few that likes all the new feateres in revelations.

Me too my Belgium friend. Me too.

Ielgon
09-16-2012, 05:47 PM
but... but... but...

Don't worry, Connor is fast. He can climb things way faster and make climb leaps without the hookblade way faster and without pausing for a second too (Just look at the latest Wii U Boston footage when he climbs up the spire).