PDA

View Full Version : Retrospective thoughts on AC1-ACR (for those who have recently re-played the games)

BATISTABUS
09-14-2012, 07:00 PM
In preparation of ACIII, I've decided to (attempt to) play through all of the console games. I just finished AC1 last night.

The graphics are pretty amazing. If a game came out this year with graphics like that, nobody would complain about it. I might even prefer them to the style of ACR.

The music is even better than I remembered. There is the perfect amount of subtlety when needed, and liveliness when needed. That, and there's nothing more awesome sounding than running back to the Bureau after an assassination; epic music, church bells ringing, and everyone yelling at you. The sound team all around deserves an award just for that aspect of the game.

The story is incredible. I forgot just how much it made you think...and I really hope ACIII goes back to this formula (Corey May has pretty much confirmed it will). Al Mualim, Malik, The Nine, Vidic, and Altair are all great characters. The dynamic between Lucy and Vidic, including their conversations through email, really adds a lot to the modern story-line.

Voice acting is mixed. Some voices are great, while some are horrible. The worst culprit of all is Altair...I feel like his story would've been so much more impactful if they hired someone who could actually act well (the accent would've helped). Certain dramatic and emotional moments in the game (the end and making up with Malik) were almost ruined by Altair's acting. I'm sure Philip Shahbaz is a great guy, but that's probably the biggest mistake Ubisoft made while making this game. Too many NPCs have the same voice, and while running through the city, you hear far too many thieves being taken by guards.

The missions are FAR too repetitive (in the main quest and "side missions"), and a lot of the time you spend playing the game is just getting from point A to point B. Fortunately, the free-running in this game is as revolutionary as it's ever been. Besides that, you are pretty much doing the same 3 missions dozens of times. You have very few options to go about assassinating targets, which is good (from a difficulty perspective) and bad (from a diverse perspective). Cities are much more detailed than I remembered, and still manage to impress me.

Overall, I really loved the game, but there are a decent number of things holding it back from being one of the best games of all time. Thoughts?

Locopells
09-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Get the Director's Cut if you can, it adds in a few more investigation missions. Otherwise, I'd go with most of that. Altair's main problem is the accent, but they fixed that in ACR.

Wish there could be an in-game map for the flags, once you've collected so many. I've only had to do it twice, but boy, it takes forever.

zerocooll21
09-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Yah I just replayed AC:B-AC:R. Love going back and trying to pick up on new things. For all my intial gripes about the first person stuff its actually grown on me. TLA is deff one of my favorites to replay for fun.

Ohhh yeaaahhh, the church bells was a awesome aspect!

Gespenst1246
09-14-2012, 07:37 PM
I personnaly like AC1's style of gaphics more than AC2. also i thought altair's first voice was better than the second, the whole accent thing didnt bother me seeing as how its supposed to be translated by the animus, maby the animus can take away the accent for better understanding? oh well. on a side note i dont think someone whose been raised to be a killer would be that great with and/or portraying his emotions .

BATISTABUS
09-14-2012, 08:06 PM
My main problem with Altair's voice is NOT the accent, although I don't like the choice they made. The acting is terrible, and it pretty much ruins moments. It's not about Altair being emotional, it's about sounding like natural speech.

Gespenst1246
09-14-2012, 08:11 PM
I was only speaking what my thoughts were....

BATISTABUS
09-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Get the Director's Cut if you can.
Is that DLC? If so, can I get it on the Xbox 360?

I was only speaking what my thoughts were....
That's fine, and your opinions are valid. I was just making sure you understood what I was criticizing about the voice.

LoyalACFan
09-14-2012, 08:16 PM
My main problem with Altair's voice is NOT the accent, although I don't like the choice they made. The acting is terrible, and it pretty much ruins moments. It's not about Altair being emotional, it's about sounding like natural speech.

You can't really blame the actor though. He isn't a trained voice actor who's been taught to mimic all kinds of dialects; he signed on to play the role of Altair with an Arabic accent (which is how he actually speaks in real life, I would imagine, since his parents are both from the Middle East) but Ubisoft changed the deal on him at the last minute. Yes, the end result didn't sound natural, but the guy wasn't allowed to speak in his natural voice. Try mimicking a Middle Eastern accent and see how natural you sound to a native speaker.

playassassins1
09-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Is that DLC? If so, can I get it on the Xbox 360?

If I remember correctly, it's exclusive to PC :(

SixKeys
09-14-2012, 08:41 PM
You can't really blame the actor though. He isn't a trained voice actor who's been taught to mimic all kinds of dialects; he signed on to play the role of Altair with an Arabic accent (which is how he actually speaks in real life, I would imagine, since his parents are both from the Middle East) but Ubisoft changed the deal on him at the last minute. Yes, the end result didn't sound natural, but the guy wasn't allowed to speak in his natural voice. Try mimicking a Middle Eastern accent and see how natural you sound to a native speaker.

He doesn't have the accent when he's just speaking normally, actually. I've seen interviews and he just sounds like a regular guy. His family is probably Arabic though which is why he's capable of switching between languages so easily.

I never had a problem with Alta´r's acting in AC1, personally.

BATISTABUS
09-14-2012, 08:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GtTuf82RJ2E#t=72s

Like SixKeys said, he speaks with an American/Canadian accent. He does seem like a really cool, smart guy. I even think he has a nice tone to his voice. I'm not sure about his acting nowadays, but he just didn't do a good job in AC1.

Assassin_M
09-14-2012, 08:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GtTuf82RJ2E#t=72s

Like SixKeys said, he speaks with an American/Canadian accent. He does seem like a really cool, smart guy. I even think he has a nice tone to his voice. I'm not sure about his acting nowadays, but he just didn't do a good job in AC1.
Highly Arguable..

I preferred Shahbaz over Anvar, personally..

Ork3n
09-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Beside the side missions (investigations) that were way to repetitive, i've found the 9 assassinations everything but repetitive.

Yet, Ac1 is my favourite of the series and my sisters too. I've recently (2 days ago) finished the whole playthrough Ac1->AcR and my sister got bored of ezio when he went into venice.... At AcR she was paying more attention on the altair memories.

BATISTABUS
09-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Highly Arguable..

I preferred Shahbaz over Anvar, personally..
I'm not sure if you're a native English speaker, so it may be hard for you to pick up on, but the acting is indisputably terrible. It's not "pretty good", it's not "alright", it's definitively bad from a critical perspective. Just about everything he says sounds unnatural. It doesn't match up with the emotions of all the good actors around him, and it doesn't match up with how anyone talks in real life. When he actually tries to convey an emotion, it sounds extremely forced, and doesn't flow with the conversation. The only thing he had going for him was a cool sounding tone to his voice.

Everyone has their own opinions, but would you call somebody a good football/soccer goalie if they could never save a goal? Shahbaz barely hits any of the points of what one might consider a good actor, and likely got the job because of how bad-*** his tone was. Maybe he does really well voice-acting for comedy or something. Maybe he's improved a lot since. He didn't do well as Altair.

SixKeys
09-14-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure if you're a native English speaker, so it may be hard for you to pick up on, but the acting is indisputably terrible. It's not "pretty good", it's not "alright", it's definitively bad from a critical perspective. Just about everything he says sounds unnatural. It doesn't match up with the emotions of all the good actors around him, and it doesn't match up with how anyone talks in real life. When he actually tries to convey an emotion, it sounds extremely forced, and doesn't flow with the conversation. The only thing he had going for him was a cool sounding tone to his voice.

I happen to disagree. I thought his acting was fine. Maybe not as nuanced as it could have been, but not terrible by any stretch. Do you really think the only reason they hired Shahbaz was because they could not find anyone else with a badass tone of voice?

Assassin_M
09-14-2012, 09:04 PM

Everyone has their own opinions, but would you call somebody a good football/soccer goalie if they could never save a goal? Shahbaz barely hits any of the points of what one might consider a good actor, and likely got the job because of how bad-*** his tone was.
This has nothing to do with me being a native Speaker or not. And it wasn't the tone.. I can very easily identify whether or not I like the tone.. Im not 5
Cas had a great tone to his voice as well, but I still preferred Phillip, reason being that I felt he portrayed the character of a cold, brash and young Assassin Brilliantly, his Anger, his soft tone with dying targets that sometimes changed quickly to anger or doubt, I liked it all really...

I felt like Cas was just given the Character and told to do as the Predecessor did, which didn't really sound "Awesome" sure he had the accent, but he always pronounced Arabic words or names wrong, hell other actors in the same scene did a better job at pronouncing Arabic better than him, also sometimes when he was an old man, I didn't feel like he was an Old man at all, or angry, or Mad, or sad at the death pf his wife.. What the hell ??

IceHot100
09-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Haha, Thank god, I'm not the only one! :D. Just finished AC1 and AC2 (today). Loved the missions at the beginning, where you had to collect those flowers for Petruccio, or "meeting" Ezio's love Cristina. Then where Ezio and his brother climb on the church and then the short convo between em':

Federico: It's a good live we lead brother.
Ezio: The best!
Federico: May it never change...
Ezio: ...and may it never change us!

The series is, hands down, epic for players who play it the first time, but it's even beyond epicness, if you replay it after a long time and say, "Ahh, I remember that scene!".

I didn't really cry at the end of Revelations when I played it for the first time. But when I played it again after a long time, I don't know why, but I was getting emotional and was sad and happy at the same time because, Ezio's journey had come to an end.

Great series. Kudos to Ubisoft!!

BATISTABUS
09-14-2012, 09:12 PM
I happen to disagree. I thought his acting was fine. Maybe not as nuanced as it could have been, but not terrible by any stretch. Do you really think the only reason they hired Shahbaz was because they could not find anyone else with a badass tone of voice?
Kind of. At least, not AS badass. If you haven't played the game recently, give it another shot and see if you feel the same. I thought it was awesome when I was younger.

This has nothing to do with me being a native Speaker or not. And it wasn't the tone.. I can very easily identify whether or not I like the tone.. Im not 5
Cas had a great tone to his voice as well, but I still preferred Phillip, reason being that I felt he portrayed the character of a cold, brash and young Assassin Brilliantly, his Anger, his soft tone with dying targets that sometimes changed quickly to anger or doubt, I liked it all really...

I felt like Cas was just given the Character and told to do as the Predecessor did, which didn't really sound "Awesome" sure he had the accent, but he always pronounced Arabic words or names wrong, hell other actors in the same scene did a better job at pronouncing Arabic better than him, also sometimes when he was an old man, I didn't feel like he was an Old man at all, or angry, or Mad, or sad at the death pf his wife.. What the hell ??
I don't think Cas was the best choice, but he definitely did better than Shahbaz. If he pronounced words wrong, wouldn't that be the fault of the dialect coach?

Assassin_M
09-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Kind of. At least, not AS badass. If you haven't played the game recently, give it another shot and see if you feel the same. I thought it was awesome when I was younger.

I don't think Cas was the best choice, but he definitely did better than Shahbaz. If he pronounced words wrong, wouldn't that be the fault of the dialect coach?
Maybe the coach said them correctly and he said it wrong.... Also the keyword here being "I think"....This is not a convincing of who did better... I enjoyed Phillip... you enjoyed Cas.... Just don't speak of Cas being better as fact, because some here Disagree..

BATISTABUS
09-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Just don't speak of Cas being better as fact, because some here Disagree..
Normally I wouldn't mind, but on a forum that the developers actually read, it's disappointing when fans settle for (or are very vocally happy about) a lesser-quality product. It happens whenever a voice-acting change is made (for the better), and fortunately companies tend to stick with their decisions. If you have nostalgia for the voice, that's one thing. However, if you claim the voice (which is universally criticized among game review reporters) is better, I think that just holds back the entire project.

Assassin_M
09-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Normally I wouldn't mind, but on a forum that the developers actually read, it's disappointing when fans settle for (or are very vocally happy about) a lesser-quality product. It happens whenever a voice-acting change is made (for the better), and fortunately companies tend to stick with their decisions. If you have nostalgia for the voice, that's one thing. However, if you claim the voice (which is universally criticized among game review reporters) is better, I think that just holds back the entire project.
If Opinion holds the product back (Which brought us Ezio Auditore) then I'm willing to stick to it..

HisSpiritLives
09-14-2012, 09:24 PM
I really like every one of those games and i think AC3 is going to best .

BATISTABUS
09-14-2012, 09:27 PM
If Opinion holds the product back (Which brought us Ezio Auditore) then I'm willing to stick to it..
I think that all the reviewers complaining about Altair's voice IS what got us Ezio. The situation with his voice is the exact opposite of Altair's. It sounds natural, it has a believable accent, the acting is very good, it has a lot of personality, and he has a lot of chemistry with whichever character he is talking to.

Assassin_M
09-14-2012, 09:30 PM
I think that all the reviewers complaining about Altair's voice IS what got us Ezio. The situation with his voice is the exact opposite of Altair's. It sounds natural, it has a believable accent, the acting is very good, it has a lot of personality, and he has a lot of chemistry with whichever character he is talking to.
Opinions...

It just can`t be more than that.. If you made a Poll, you`ll probably get an equal likes for both Phillip and Cas... both did very good, I just Prefer Phillip

BATISTABUS
09-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Opinions...

It just can`t be more than that.. If you made a Poll, you`ll probably get an equal likes for both Phillip and Cas... both did very good, I just Prefer Phillip
It's my opinion that I don't like Shahbaz, but I'm not just leaving it at that. I'm basing the criticisms on what is considered good acting by society and the standard set by other actors. While I wouldn't call that a fact, it's not exactly an opinion, even if it can't be explained with numbers.

Anyway, I've said pretty much all I wanted to say about that. This wasn't meant to be a thread about Altair's voice. Feel free to add more to your arguments, but I don't want to clutter up the topic anymore.

Assassin_M
09-14-2012, 09:42 PM
It's my opinion that I don't like Shahbaz, but I'm not just leaving it at that. I'm basing the criticisms on what is considered good acting by society and the standard set by other actors. While I wouldn't call that a fact, it's not exactly an opinion, even if it can't be explained with numbers.

Anyway, I've said pretty much all I wanted to say about that. This wasn't meant to be a thread about Altair's voice. Feel free to add more to your arguments, but I don't want to clutter up the topic anymore.
Agreed..

I recently started what I like to call "Assassins Creed Marathon" Where I play ALL the games in canonical order, non stop... Im currently in Venice following Rodrigo`s Apple Courier. I must say, Assassins Creed I is the most special to me, its the only the game (Besides Revelations) that gives me that urge to actually Free roam. AC II is fine, but it just doesn't have the Atmosphere of AC I. The souks, the Merchants and the criers.. It was all just Beautiful..

The Repetitiveness of AC I was not really a Problem for me.. I tried doing every Mission with a different Variety of Investigation and surprisingly it worked well for me and the flow of the plot became that much better..

In AC II, however; I felt more linear than ever, even though the following games have the same formula, but this just gave a sense that im playing Uncharted... I dont know why, but the story and music is just Fantastic and It felt like a nice change from AC I...

BATISTABUS
09-14-2012, 09:50 PM
The story of AC1 is really fantastic...certainly the best in the series and one of the best in gaming. I'm really glad I went back and played the game again, if for no other reason than better understanding the story.

Agreed..
Where I play ALL the games in canonical order, non stop...
Including the PSP and DS games?

E-Zekiel
09-14-2012, 09:51 PM
I've been replaying through the games lately too, and intend to play AC1 one more time before AC3 launches. I went somewhat out of order though - I replayed AC1 about 6 months ago, then about a month ago I replayed ACR, now I'm playing AC2 and will do Brotherhood after that, although I am switching to the Christina missions and playing them where they belong in the chronological storyline.

I liked Alta´r's voice in AC1. I won't tell you that Shahbaz was a fantastic voice actor, but I don't think he was bad either. Just mediocre, and I found his voice extremely suiting, though lacking the accent. Certainly not as bad as some of you guys are making him out to be; I've heard far worse.

It's funny how good I've become, especially since playing the multiplayer. There was a mission in Venice (my favorite city btw) where I had to assassinate a target...And normally when you get within line of sight or general proximity, but basically you are standing on something, a cut scene is supposed to trigger. I managed to get SO CLOSE without triggering the cut scene it froze my game. Tried it again, same thing. Was kind of funny.

Been so long since I replayed AC2 (I've replayed AC1 and ACB a million times, but AC2 I only ever replayed once due to its length and the inability to replay story missions). I really do love this game.

Sushiglutton
09-14-2012, 09:51 PM
I think that was a very good summary. Great story, way too repetetive. It's like they have built this vast beautiful world that is just crying out for something fun to do in it. They did a good work in 2 of fleshing out the world, let's hope 3 will be even better :)!

Assassin_M
09-14-2012, 09:56 PM
The story of AC1 is really fantastic...certainly the best in the series and one of the best in gaming. I'm really glad I went back and played the game again, if for no other reason than better understanding the story.

Including the PSP and DS games?
Yes >_>

BATISTABUS
09-14-2012, 09:57 PM
I think that was a very good summary. Great story, way too repetetive. It's like they have built this vast beautiful world that is just crying out for something fun to do in it. They did a good work in 2 of fleshing out the world, let's hope 3 will be even better :)!
Thank you, and I completely agree! From what we've seen so far, I don't think we have to worry about that. ;)

Yes >_>
Ouch...well, good luck with that. :p

utriej
09-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Haven't posted on these forums in quite a long time, but wanted to chime in here because I'm in the middle of a full playthrough myself before AC3 comes out. Finished AC1 and 2 already, and about 1/4 through Brotherhood now. Have played AC1 like 7 times now, 2 probabaly 3-4, Brotherhood this is my 3rd, and Revelations twice. So far this time I have already decided that 2 and Brotherhood are my favorites for many many reasons. Most importantly is the stories of those two, I (MY opinon) think are the best. 2 and Brotherhood have the best freerunning, and Ezio just kicks ***. Only problem is he's much more cynical and less emotionally motivated in Brotherhood and Revelations.

AC1 will always be that game that initially got me addicted, and at the time it was so innovative I was just blown away. But other than the story, It was really annoying to replay through again. I know most people love that one the best, but c'mon, it actually kinda sucks. There's only a handful of NPC phrases, all the stupid citizens say the same dam things. The missions are interesting but repetitive. The guards are super touchy and give chase if you sneeze- which could beg the argument that I'm not being stealthy enough sure, but it gets annoying after hours of gameplay. Yes the combat is tougher, and the series kinda lacks that in later installments, but it's waaaay too slow. You're constantly waiting for them to attack to counter, but the timing has to be so precise most of the time you miss it. On top of all that, soon as you kill the 8 guards that are on you (rather than running and hiding, which is lame IMO), 4 more saunter by and join the fray. For me, it's more frustrating and boring playing it now. Once I got to Brotherhood I breathed a sigh of relief because if I screwed up my stealth I could quickly dispatch a whole group of guards and move along. The actual assassinations are still some of the best of the series in terms of setup, execution, and retreat.

That's a lot of complaining, but it was still worth playing through AC1 for me, and years down the road probabally will again. Altair is a great character and it has a really great story. The voice acting is terrible I'll agree, but for some reason I like it how it is and never really had a problem with it other than a laugh at how terrible it was. I loved the drunks, beggars, and crazies from AC1. None of the Ezio games captured that aspect even close to as good. The stupid musicians and box carriers are just annoying. In AC 1 it was always funny or a challenge. I made it a point to punch every musician that ran up to me as long as it didn't fail the mission for me...much more fun that way.
My 2 cents for now. Having fun replaying some of my favorite games of all time.

Free_Hidings
09-14-2012, 10:09 PM
I have been playing AC1 through, as I got it with Revelations. It's pretty dayum incredible. (First time playthrough)

I always imagined it being a tiny *** world with low graphics and poor gameplay, but it is actually an amazing story. At first I was like "wtf" at Altair's voice, but I have come to like it FAR more than the poor accent in ACR, in AC1 he sounds badass and lethal, in ACR he sounds too weak.

The whole story development is great, gamplay elements like pickpocketing and eavesdropping were cool, and the ability to move around and change camera angles during cutscenes was awesome and something I would like to see in future games.

I enjoyed how you really felt a part of the assassin's, far more than any other game: Always reporting to your mentor and the assassin branches in each city. And the cities are quite vast and detailed, the civilians too - I was very impressed with the variety in civilians, particularly the fat ones, we need more fatties! The main assassination missions are great, and though the investigation is a bit repeditive, I am not trying to 100% the game, merely do what I can to get the story, but it's very enjoyable.

The random sick / drunk dudes pushing you is funny / extremely annoying (when trying to run) and the beggars with their silly coronation street accents asking for money "You don't understand I'm poor and sick and hungry!" If I don't need to be stealthy I will usually throw them to the ground or kill them. Filthy peasants.

The climbing is slow and painful by todays standards but it still works, and obviously they were going to improve it year by year. I'm surprised at how many animations are present in the game that are still there in Revelations, though I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The game has some really nice graphics, maybe not as high resolution as ACB / ACR but nicely smooth, soft and natural looking, with good lighting. Very impressed graphically, gameplay wise, sound wise and especially story wise. I think I am near the end, cannot wait to get home from work and jam it :)

Keeping on topic with the thread, after this I will rent AC2 and play that, then ACB (which I own) Currently replaying Revelations going for 100% concurrently with AC1, but I might hold off on the story till I catch up with myself.

Ohh aand best thing about AC1?

Horses can gallop.

Locopells
09-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Haha, Thank god, I'm not the only one! http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/smilies/biggrin.png. Just finished AC1 and AC2 (today). Loved the missions at the beginning, where you had to collect those flowers for Petruccio, or "meeting" Ezio's love Cristina. Then where Ezio and his brother climb on the church and then the short convo between em':

Federico: It's a good live we lead brother.
Ezio: The best!
Federico: May it never change...
Ezio: ...and may it never change us!

The series is, hands down, epic for players who play it the first time, but it's even beyond epicness, if you replay it after a long time and say, "Ahh, I remember that scene!".

I didn't really cry at the end of Revelations when I played it for the first time. But when I played it again after a long time, I don't know why, but I was getting emotional and was sad and happy at the same time because, Ezio's journey had come to an end.

Great series. Kudos to Ubisoft!!

That scene still gets me, especially now that I know everything that comes after...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EoOojQkwOw

kriegerdesgottes
09-15-2012, 04:09 AM
I just got done replaying all 4 all the way through and I'm glad I did because it reminded me why I love AC so much but one thing that really stood out for me during my play through was how much I hate being desynched for being caught by guards. It is sooo annoying and it makes me furious. It is the exact opposite of what AC stands for which is freedom and and ability to do assassinations the way you want to. It all started with Brotherhood. That game would have been soo much better had they not put that in so much. They put it in because of all the crying people did on here about lack of stealth. Now it sucks. They need to make a happy medium and make it difficult to be stealthy but still allow you to go in rambo style if you want but also make that risky. Desynching the player for not playing by Ubisoft rules is ridiculous and outright stupid and ruines what could be a really awesome game.

iSoTryHard
09-15-2012, 07:43 AM
In preparation of ACIII, I've decided to (attempt to) play through all of the console games. I just finished AC1 last night.

The graphics are pretty amazing. If a game came out this year with graphics like that, nobody would complain about it. I might even prefer them to the style of ACR.

The music is even better than I remembered. There is the perfect amount of subtlety when needed, and liveliness when needed. That, and there's nothing more awesome sounding than running back to the Bureau after an assassination; epic music, church bells ringing, and everyone yelling at you. The sound team all around deserves an award just for that aspect of the game.

The story is incredible. I forgot just how much it made you think...and I really hope ACIII goes back to this formula (Corey May has pretty much confirmed it will). Al Mualim, Malik, The Nine, Vidic, and Altair are all great characters. The dynamic between Lucy and Vidic, including their conversations through email, really adds a lot to the modern story-line.

Voice acting is mixed. Some voices are great, while some are horrible. The worst culprit of all is Altair...I feel like his story would've been so much more impactful if they hired someone who could actually act well (the accent would've helped). Certain dramatic and emotional moments in the game (the end and making up with Malik) were almost ruined by Altair's acting. I'm sure Philip Shahbaz is a great guy, but that's probably the biggest mistake Ubisoft made while making this game. Too many NPCs have the same voice, and while running through the city, you hear far too many thieves being taken by guards.

The missions are FAR too repetitive (in the main quest and "side missions"), and a lot of the time you spend playing the game is just getting from point A to point B. Fortunately, the free-running in this game is as revolutionary as it's ever been. Besides that, you are pretty much doing the same 3 missions dozens of times. You have very few options to go about assassinating targets, which is good (from a difficulty perspective) and bad (from a diverse perspective). Cities are much more detailed than I remembered, and still manage to impress me.

Overall, I really loved the game, but there are a decent number of things holding it back from being one of the best games of all time. Thoughts?

I have also decided to do this but im only up to target number 5 and really enjoying it (although target 4 was a pain) and yes i think you are right. things like repetiveness and voice acting was holding it back. But i give it credit because it was the base for the greatest series of all time (in my eyes)

and the amazing, truly epic backstory also pulled me through just so mysterious

dewgel
09-15-2012, 09:02 AM

Just to clear a few things up, the developers confirmed that the accent thing was due to the Animus at Asbtergo having better translation and avatar software than the Animus 2.0 ( which often couldnt translate Italian and as we know, French)

Cas was hired and told to do a middle eastern accent. According to devs it was because the animus is now "truly portraying" him.

Persobally, I think it's because they couldn't get the initial actor, but the work around does for me. I prefer Cas' work than the original anyway, he sounds better in my opinion. Remember, in MY opinion. Before anyone starts flaming me saying I'm wrong

Assassin_M
09-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Just to clear a few things up, the developers confirmed that the accent thing was due to the Animus at Asbtergo having better translation and avatar software than the Animus 2.0 ( which often couldnt translate Italian and as we know, French)

Cas was hired and told to do a middle eastern accent. According to devs it was because the animus is now "truly portraying" him.

Persobally, I think it's because they couldn't get the initial actor, but the work around does for me. I prefer Cas' work than the original anyway, he sounds better in my opinion. Remember, in MY opinion. Before anyone starts flaming me saying I'm wrong
You`re wrong... you`re opinion is wrong... you`re whole existence is wrong..

SixKeys
09-15-2012, 09:07 AM

The official explanation makes no sense. Why would the Animus translate everyone else in Middle-East as having an accent but not Alta´r? And how can the Animus 2.0 be more advanced in every other aspect except what would seem like the most important thing, i.e. full and uninhibited understanding of Desmond's ancestor?

The Animus explanation makes even less sense if you consider the fact that Philip Shahbaz was specifically told not to do an accent during the recording of his lines in AC1. They also could have gotten Shahbaz back for ACR but according to him Ubisoft never even asked.

Locopells
09-15-2012, 01:20 PM
How you hear your own voice is different to how you hear everything else - it's not unreasonable to suppose that, since this is Altair's memory, that everyone else's voice sounds different to his own.

BATISTABUS
09-15-2012, 06:57 PM
How you hear your own voice is different to how you hear everything else - it's not unreasonable to suppose that, since this is Altair's memory, that everyone else's voice sounds different to his own.
Perhaps, but how could he possibly hear himself speaking with an American accent? And how come Ezio didn't?

I'm not a fan of Ubisoft's explanation, but I'm just glad they learned from their mistakes and changed it.

Locopells
09-15-2012, 07:15 PM
The point is the Animus 1.3 translates that differently to how it translates everything else.

As for Ezio, that was the new, improved, Animus 2.0

CalgaryJay
09-15-2012, 11:17 PM
I enjoyed the original as well, to date its still my favourite setting of all 4 games. That part when you just come out of the mountain range and see Damascus for the first time, along with the music, is awesome. I also enjoyed the Altair character more than Ezio. Don't get me wrong, I liked Ezio, but he was just a little too James Bond'ish slick for me, in terms what I think an Assassin should act like. Altair's dark, mysterious nature was perfect.

My only complaints about 1 (besides the repetitiveness, which has been mentioned) was addressed in 2, which is 1 just took itself way too dang seriously. Just zero humour at all in the game, and some of those cut scene monologues after you assassinated the target & he'd talk to you in your arms as he died were way too long and corny, a couple even eye-rollingly so. 2 gave it a much-needed injection of humour & colour, it was needed.

I've said since it came out that I'd love to see Ubi go back to that original Damascus/Jerusalem/Kingdom medieval setting again sometime now that they've got the games perfected.

dewgel
09-16-2012, 06:34 PM
The point is the Animus 1.3 translates that differently to how it translates everything else.

As for Ezio, that was the new, improved, Animus 2.0

This.

For those that argued against what I said, that is what was discussed many times last year. Devs said that the Animus 1.3 (AC1) simply translated the actual Avatar (E.g. Desmond) into American, to help make it easier. It didn't perfectly translate everyone else, however.

This is why they say Desmond's face was 100% similar to Altair's in AC1.

In AC2, Rebecca's Animus was "more true to how it really was", but suffered from 'buggy translation software', in her words..(Ref: Brotherhood) "You'll notice the occasional Italian still, let's just hope you don't come up against any French.."

In Revelations, they 'claimed' that Ezio's new and improved face and Altair's true face and accent were because of Rebecca's animus (and the black room)

If you want further proof of this and want to argue against me, load up Revelations and check Altair's Animus Database Entry.. It says something along the lines of "At least now we're able to hear and see Altair's true appearance, not like that useless Animus back at Abstergo" or something stupid like that.

D.I.D.
09-16-2012, 07:48 PM
I just got done replaying all 4 all the way through and I'm glad I did because it reminded me why I love AC so much but one thing that really stood out for me during my play through was how much I hate being desynched for being caught by guards. It is sooo annoying and it makes me furious. It is the exact opposite of what AC stands for which is freedom and and ability to do assassinations the way you want to. It all started with Brotherhood. That game would have been soo much better had they not put that in so much. They put it in because of all the crying people did on here about lack of stealth. Now it sucks. They need to make a happy medium and make it difficult to be stealthy but still allow you to go in rambo style if you want but also make that risky. Desynching the player for not playing by Ubisoft rules is ridiculous and outright stupid and ruines what could be a really awesome game.

I don't really understand getting angry at difficulty in games. Relax!

The last time I felt any tension in the games was when we used to have those instant desync missions. I loved them. I don't see how stealth was added because of complaints; if anything it was something that was simply standard in the series until anti-stealth complaints got it removed from the last game, resulting in a game with no challenge whatsoever.

I agree there could be room for two styles, as long as each one brings consequences. If you play aggressively, the game could throw lots of extra guards at you in retaliation. Certain routes could be open or closed to you depending on how the authorities are learning to defend themselves. It could help with variety on replays too.