PDA

View Full Version : Tenchu and Assassin's Creed

Free_Hidings
09-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Im a huge fan of both Tenchu and Assassin's Creed. I made a sarcastic remark in a thread about Assassin's Creed being a rip off of Tenchu (obviously not serious) and a few people were getting defensive at me, but it's all good. Anyway, I really think either a new Tenchu game on current gen consoles, or an Assassin's Creed game set in Fuedal Japan. The music, for one, is really nice, and the setting + architechture is quite beautiful and includes plenty of opportunity for rooves and climbing.

I remember when Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven came out on PS2... I think it was around 2004. At the time, I thought that game was incredible. It has the awesome stealth kill animations, running around, jumping from roof to roof, great music and nice visuals. The story could be a bit whacky at times but I still really enjoyed it, and went on to backtrack to the two PS1 predessecors. Wrath Of Heaven was pretty much the Assassin's Creed of the PS2 era.

To me, Assassin's Creed really seems like a modern gen Tenchu, obviously with it's own twist, but I can't help but wonder how amazing a Tenchu game could've been if they made one now, drawing from elements of Assassin's Creed such as the free running and climbing. Tenchu also had a combat system which some people didn't like, but I enjoyed, and worked well as far as competitive fights in the offline multiplayer, so assuming they could prevent it from lagging too much, it could provide the real time combat many people are clamouring for.

While I have no doubt that Assassin's Creed is an entirely original game, it's interesting that they implement some similar ideas to Tenchu. A recent one that comes to mind is the rope dart tree hanging that Connor does. I think this is amazingly awesome. In Tenchu, there was a similar ability, however it was much more unrealistic as there is no object to hang it over. Watch the first clip in the vid I post below, it shows the hanging. Was pretty awesome at the time, but Connors version is much nicer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqSLkRQLAw

Watch the whole video too if you have time, some of the kill animations are pretty cool and would be nice to see in Assassin's Creed... Looking at you 0:53 and 1:07!

Also in Tenchu there was a version of the "Hidden gun," though I think only one of the 3 protagonists could use it (funnily enough, an assassin, the other two were ninja) and he could only use it once or twice per level.

This is the best clip I could find, not very good but at least shows how it's done, however the dude has used cheats so he can use it 99 times, usually I think you only get it at most twice. My point being that gun play is not nearly as common as in AC. Though you will find a boss or two that have guns.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NduOtThQ6MU#t=2m31s

Aside from some mythological / fantasy elements (though Assassin's Creed isn't exactly void of these) Tenchu or a similar game in Fuedal Japan could be really awesome on modern gen consoles.