PDA

View Full Version : Assassinís Creed III: On The Hunt In The American Frontier

anik_lc
09-13-2012, 07:25 PM
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/13/assassins-creed-iii-on-the-hunt-in-the-american-frontier/

The frontier of Assassinís Creed III (http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/assassin-s-creed-iii-ps3.html?CMP=soc_us__ac_sm_05_21_12) offers an incredible bounty of wildlife for a skilled and dedicated hunter. The wilderness positively sprawls before Connor, ensuring that its boundless resources are always available. Adventure awaits beyond the protective city walls of Boston, and Iíd like to give you a glimpse of a tiny fraction of what you can expect to find within the forests and glades of the frontier.

Letís begin with the simpler game Connor can capture, and a few examples of how he can put them to use.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8179/7983029661_a5ea335f91_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/7983029661/)

The animals pictured in the image above can be found roaming the countryside in AC3, and youíll find them the easiest to catch. Hares, foxes, deer, raccoons and ******s shouldnít present much danger to a canny trapper like Connor, but these animals (so frequently preyed upon by the larger predators) can be incredibly skittish and will bolt if they detect a human presence.

Maintaining such a close relationship with nature has afforded Connor some unique abilities that you can exploit to make hunting easier. Activating Eagle Sense will enable Connor to detect nearby clues which, when investigated, will identify the location of game. A broken branch marks the passage of a fox, a bush with several nibbled leaves confirms a rabbit has had a recent meal or a patch of matted grass served as bedding for a dozing deerÖ any of these signs will help locate the tasty culprit.

Finding clues will point you to your quarry, which you will want to take great care in stalking, creeping up on through the underbrush or springing upon silently from up in the trees. Remaining undetected is crucial since youíll need to approach without alerting your targetÖ a hidden blade kill is your objective, because using larger weapons could damage the pelt, particularly of smaller creatures like hares or foxes.

Once youíve taken down an animal, you must skin it and retrieve everything you can use in order to honor the beastís sacrifice. If you slay wantonly without harvesting the bounties of the forest, you will lose synchronization with Connor and could be ejected from the Animus.

Game from the frontier offers a great many resources that residents of cities will pay handsomely for, so collecting the various pelts, meat and even bones or oils of beasts can be an excellent way to fund Assassinsí activities. There are also a few other uses for the bounty of the forest, but weíll get into those in a future blogÖ we canít reveal every secret just yet!

Locopells
09-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Nice! Any ideas on what else is in the game?

Oh, and I like your sig - the 'Original Assassin' thing kinda bugs me too!

SixKeys
09-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Once you’ve taken down an animal, you must skin it and retrieve everything you can use in order to honor the beast’s sacrifice. If you slay wantonly without harvesting the bounties of the forest, you will lose synchronization with Connor and could be ejected from the Animus.

This sounds pretty cool. :) Although I hope the predators in the forest aren't always as aggressive as in Red Dead Redemption. If there's one thing I hated, it's killing a whole pack of wolves and getting off my horse only to be attacked by a bear right in the middle of skinning the wolves. Sometimes it just wasn't worth the risk to go and retrieve the pelts.

I also like the idea of having to pay close attention to your surroundings to track animals.

LoyalACFan
09-13-2012, 07:45 PM
"Finding clues will point you to your quarry, which you will want to take great care in stalking, creeping up on through the underbrush or springing upon silently from up in the trees."

AIR ASSASSINATING RABBITS CONFIRMED!!!!!!11!!!11!1!!

Lol, but seriously, I'm not sure I'm 100% okay with the idea of losing synchronization for not skinning everything. If it was just the prey animals, then sure, but I don't want to be penalized for defending myself from a pack of vicious wolves and not pausing to skin them all.

rileypoole1234
09-13-2012, 07:46 PM
I love the idea of losing sync with Connor if you slay but don't take every little thing you can use. Honoring the beat's sacrifice sounds very Native like for some reason.

All of the clues as to where to find the animals I.E. the nibbled bushes, the matted grass, etc. makes it seem like the world will be incredibly detailed.

UbiGabe
09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
This sounds pretty cool. :) Although I hope the predators in the forest aren't always as aggressive as in Red Dead Redemption. If there's one thing I hated, it's killing a whole pack of wolves and getting off my horse only to be attacked by a bear right in the middle of skinning the wolves. Sometimes it just wasn't worth the risk to go and retrieve the pelts.

Nah, you may be attacked by a PACK of wolves, but probably not several packs in succession... or bears, plural.

Funny story... I was playing once and a bear spawn went nuts, dropping bears every two seconds or so. I would kill one, only to have another attack IMMEDIATELY. We fixed that though. No more bear mosh pits in the Frontier, hehe.

Splatterhausen
09-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Don't see this being as entertaining without free aim.

xXRyzonXx
09-13-2012, 08:11 PM
nah, you may be attacked by a pack of wolves, but probably not several packs in succession... Or bears, plural.

Funny story... I was playing once and a bear spawn went nuts, dropping bears every two seconds or so. I would kill one, only to have another attack immediately. We fixed that though. No more bear mosh pits in the frontier, hehe.

its the prophet!

dex3108BL
09-13-2012, 08:14 PM
UbiGabe on forum :eek: That must be a sign of something big coming XD

BTW nice info Gabe i am glad to see you around here among digital fans :D

LoyalACFan
09-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Nah, you may be attacked by a PACK of wolves, but probably not several packs in succession... or bears, plural.

Funny story... I was playing once and a bear spawn went nuts, dropping bears every two seconds or so. I would kill one, only to have another attack IMMEDIATELY. We fixed that though. No more bear mosh pits in the Frontier, hehe.

ERMAHGERD! UBIGABE!!! :eek:

To be honest though, that bear mosh pit sounds like it could be one hell of a cheat code :p Screw unicorns and lightning swords, I'm a bear gladiator!

RatonhnhakeFan
09-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Lol, but seriously, I'm not sure I'm 100% okay with the idea of losing synchronization for not skinning everything. If it was just the prey animals, then sure, but I don't want to be penalized for defending myself from a pack of vicious wolves and not pausing to skin them all.I wonder if this "you should skin it all to honor the sacrifice" thing was part of Mohawk's culture or is it just some gameplay mechanic they came up with?

BBALive
09-13-2012, 08:54 PM
"Finding clues will point you to your quarry, which you will want to take great care in stalking, creeping up on through the underbrush or springing upon silently from up in the trees."

AIR ASSASSINATING RABBITS CONFIRMED!!!!!!11!!!11!1!!

Lol, but seriously, I'm not sure I'm 100% okay with the idea of losing synchronization for not skinning everything. If it was just the prey animals, then sure, but I don't want to be penalized for defending myself from a pack of vicious wolves and not pausing to skin them all.

It's probably just there to honour Native American culture. Being able to go around killing every and any animal without using their skins, meat and such might be seen as offensive. Obviously if you're attacked by a pack of wolves you aren't going to lose synch just for defending yourself.

LoyalACFan
09-13-2012, 08:55 PM
I wonder if this "you should skin it all to honor the sacrifice" thing was part of Mohawk's culture or is it just some gameplay mechanic they came up with?

I'm not sure if it born out of morality or just practicality, but the native people did use their kills much more efficiently than the Europeans. While the colonists might take the pelt and some meat, the natives would take the bones, the teeth, everything, and use them to make various bits of clothing, jewelry, weaponry, etc.

UbiGabe
09-13-2012, 09:19 PM
I wonder if this "you should skin it all to honor the sacrifice" thing was part of Mohawk's culture or is it just some gameplay mechanic they came up with?

Yeah, it was a direct result of the research we did with the Kanien'kehŠ:ka community. You can read more about the team's extensive research process here: http://techland.time.com/2012/09/05/assassins-creed-iiis-connor-how-ubisoft-avoided-stereotypes-and-made-a-real-character/

EscoBlades
09-13-2012, 09:53 PM

This cracked me up big time, haha!!

SixKeys
09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
That bear spawn glitch could make for a fun virtual training ground challenge.... just sayin' . ;)

UbiGabe
09-13-2012, 10:14 PM
That bear spawn glitch could make for a fun virtual training ground challenge.... just sayin' . ;)

It was pretty brutal... I think I only had the endurance to handle it for ten minutes of bear-killin'. LOL :p

Lass4r
09-13-2012, 10:28 PM
It was pretty brutal... I think I only had the endurance to handle it for ten minutes of bear-killin'. LOL :p
So how tough are these bears? Obv being Connor he's a badass, but bears are badasses too... is it easy to die from a bear attack?

UbiGabe
09-13-2012, 10:31 PM
So how tough are these bears? Obv being Connor he's a badass, but bears are badasses too... is it easy to die from a bear attack?

So, the thing with bears is that they are not super-tough to kill, but they hit like a freight train... Connor can't go toe-to-toe with a bear for very long. He's gotta strike quickly and accurately or get the heck out of there (tactical retreat is always an option, of course). If you're response time is good, you can manage a bear... but that level of concentration takes it's tole on me, so I prefer to only face a single bear at a time, hehe.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah, it was a direct result of the research we did with the Kanien'kehŠ:ka community. You can read more about the team's extensive research process here: http://techland.time.com/2012/09/05/assassins-creed-iiis-connor-how-ubisoft-avoided-stereotypes-and-made-a-real-character/Thx, already read that article, it was great :cool:

MT4K
09-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Thx, already read that article, it was great :cool:

Yeah i posted that :D.... Although i did say i found it on another Forum teehee :rolleyes:.

Also. I'm glad the Bears will be as dangerous as expected :).

Edit: Hurray for Smiley abuse!!

Lass4r
09-13-2012, 10:44 PM
So, the thing with bears is that they are not super-tough to kill, but they hit like a freight train... Connor can't go toe-to-toe with a bear for very long. He's gotta strike quickly and accurately or get the heck out of there (tactical retreat is always an option, of course). If you're response time is good, you can manage a bear... but that level of concentration takes it's tole on me, so I prefer to only face a single bear at a time, hehe.
Sounds great ^^

Ielgon
09-13-2012, 10:51 PM

This sounds exactly like how I want the combat in this to be, not hard if you're focused but if you don't focus that well and aren't always on the ball you'll mess up (like how it should be for a skilled assassin). Thanks UbiGabe for strengthening my faith in the new combat and combat with bears of course!

..small question though: Certain people and I are a big fan of the riding on pigs idea. I'm almost afraid to ask but: how about riding on bears? Rodeo style a (dangerous) option?

Ork3n
09-13-2012, 10:56 PM
What worries me the most is the eagle sense. In AcR i hated how ubisoft handled it. I mean, Ezio's Eagle Vision envolved into Eagle Sense after ezio have been using it for over 30 years? And altair only had eagle vision in ac1 and he had to be extremly focused (hence being in first person and being not able to move). However, in AcR, 2 years before Ac1, Altair already had Eagle Sense.... I would understand if altair had eagle sense in the scene maria's die but the first 2 missions should have been with eagle vision (even if it was not first person and only if not moving).

And now in Ac3 eagle sense is back even though we will only see connor until he's 28 years old.

Does any1 understand what i'm trying to say?

Assassin_M
09-13-2012, 10:58 PM
What worries me the most is the eagle sense. In AcR i hated how ubisoft handled it. I mean, Ezio's Eagle Vision envolved into Eagle Sense after ezio have been using it for over 30 years? And altair only had eagle vision in ac1 and he had to be extremly focused (hence being in first person and being not able to move). However, in AcR, 2 years before Ac1, Altair already had Eagle Sense.... I would understand if altair had eagle sense in the scene maria's die but the first 2 missions should have been with eagle vision (even if it was not first person and only if not moving).

And now in Ac3 eagle sense is back even though we will only see connor until he's 28 years old.

Yes..

Ielgon
09-13-2012, 11:02 PM

Connor is a lot more attuned to nature, I'm willing to believe that these tracking abilities of his eagle "sense" are acquired at such an early age because he's raised in nature as a hunter. Hunter's have to be able to track things. If anything it's more his intuÔtion/attention to these things than a supernatural ability to track (which is what I feel like Ezio's eagle sense was).

I always saw the eagle vision/sense thing as more the Assassin's ability to focus on certain things, seeing their target and potential threats. Connor's own ability of tracking just augments it in this way.

notafanboy
09-13-2012, 11:08 PM

will they attack on sight ?, i hated how wolves and bears would lock onto you in red dead, and try to kill you for no reason

Assassin_M
09-13-2012, 11:20 PM
I just hope this new penalty somehow appeses to the Animal lovers here..

kudos17
09-13-2012, 11:33 PM

I like to think that Altair was so good at what he did, he didn't even need Eagle Vision or Sense :p Connor was special because of his natural instincts. He lives and breathes "intuition". How to track movements, learn people's and animal's intentions... I have no trouble believing he's always in a higher state of awareness. And Ezio... well, he was never trained that way. It took him years to learn the basics from others, and even longer to learn everything on his own.

Story aside, it was a gameplay mechanic thing. Don't read too much into it. But the justification is there, if you do.

Also, I LOVE the fact that you get desynchronized for not using the animals you hunt. A very true and very cool nod to the culture. I had the fear that as Connor got more attached to his work, he'd be less attached to his native ways. I'm glad that's not the case.

MetalCreed
09-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Yes! More details on what will be my favorite activity

I love the whole clues thing..Makes it sound like the way it should have been.

Also, I realized that Connor's half Mohawk heritage kinda relates to hunting and relationships with certain animals.

Ork3n
09-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Story aside, it was a gameplay mechanic thing. Don't read too much into it. But the justification is there, if you do.

When things are built arround a story, the gameplay should be according. You want another example? The assassination methods ezio learns from leonardo at Ac2 were invented by Altair with malik's help, and it was fore sure after Ac1. However, in the first 2 missions, altair is able to do those assassinations. If in Ac2 it was posible to block that ability during the first sequences, why couldn't they do the same with AcR?

Story > Gameplay Mechanics imo.

I can live with it, but i feel like ubisoft was just lazy.

Also, I realized that Connor's half Mohawk heritage kinda relates to hunting and relationships with certain animals.

No **** sherlock? xDDD

Now jokes aside.... I hope connor gets to **** with a wolf xDDDDD

kudos17
09-14-2012, 01:54 AM
When things are built arround a story, the gameplay should be according. You want another example? The assassination methods ezio learns from leonardo at Ac2 were invented by Altair with malik's help, and it was fore sure after Ac1. However, in the first 2 missions, altair is able to do those assassinations. If in Ac2 it was posible to block that ability during the first sequences, why couldn't they do the same with AcR?

Story > Gameplay Mechanics imo.

I can live with it, but i feel like ubisoft was just lazy.

Maybe. I agree that story trumps gameplay, but it'd be happy to have a balance between both. I feel that Assassin's Creed does a fair job of covering plot-holes and leaving room for interpretation when it doesn't. Unless a gameplay mechanic severely chops up the story or renders it unbelievable, then it can be accepted as is. No game is perfect.

CalgaryJay
09-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Really guys? In a video game you value a good story over good gameplay?? I can only speak for myself, but I'd much rather play a game that's a lot of fun to play with some plot holes than a well written game that's not overly fun. If my main concern is story I'd just watch a movie.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, which could be entirely possible...

Assassin_M
09-14-2012, 05:47 AM
Really guys?? In a video game you value a good story over good gameplay? I can only speak for myself, but I'd much rather play a game that's a lot of fun to play with some plot holes than a well written game that's not overly fun. If my main concern is story I'd just watch a movie.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, which could be entirely possible...
Everyone is entitled to an Opinion, although I do agree with you that Gameplay comes first no matter what, but that doesn't really make story look any less..

LoyalACFan
09-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Really guys? In a video game you value a good story over good gameplay?? I can only speak for myself, but I'd much rather play a game that's a lot of fun to play with some plot holes than a well written game that's not overly fun. If my main concern is story I'd just watch a movie.

I think they were saying that new gameplay mechanics should be built around the story, not the other way around. I.E. "Connor is a Mohawk, so let's make some cool new gameplay mechanics based on his heritage" vs. "we want to make a hunting mechanic, so let's make up a story reason to include it." If that's the case, I agree with them. But again, I could be misinterpreting as well.

CalgaryJay
09-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Everyone is entitled to an Opinion, although I do agree with you that Gameplay comes first no matter what, but that doesn't really make story look any less..

Oh ya I know, I wasn't trying to give them a hard time or anything, just surprised is all. Then again I'm in my late 20's & grew up on the old school video games where things rarely made sense, haha guess I'm just used to it.

Crazy how much games have changed over the past few years, from just action packed nonsense to monster titles that take years to produce with very well-written stories, its almost like watching a movie. The story/ending in RDR blew me away. Interesting to see the evolution of video games.

Assassin_M
09-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Oh ya I know, I wasn't trying to give them a hard time or anything, just surprised is all. Then again I'm in my late 20's & grew up on the old school video games where things rarely made sense haha, guess I'm just used to it.

Crazy how much games have changed over the past few years, from just action packed nonsense to monster titles that take years to produce with very well-written stories, its almost like watching a movie. The story/ending in RDR blew me away. Interesting to see the evolution of video games.
Oh no, I did not intend to portray you as giving them a hard time, Sorry If I seemed that way..

And yes, the Evolution of Video games is just Beautiful, what also amazes me is that this industry experienced this huge amount transformation in such a short time, its a very young Business and yet managed to reach Unprecedented heights in the Entertainment Industry..

CalgaryJay
09-14-2012, 06:07 AM
I think they were saying that new gameplay mechanics should be built around the story, not the other way around. I.E. "Connor is a Mohawk, so let's make some cool new gameplay mechanics based on his heritage" vs. "we want to make a hunting mechanic, so let's make up a story reason to include it." If that's the case, I agree with them. But again, I could be misinterpreting as well.

Ah that makes more sense, you're probably right. I'm already in bed half asleep over here (11pm where I'm at), I figured I probably read something wrong..

CalgaryJay
09-14-2012, 06:22 AM
Oh no, I did not intend to portray you as giving them a hard time, Sorry If I seemed that way..

And yes, the Evolution of Video games is just Beautiful, what also amazes me is that this industry experienced this huge amount transformation in such a short time, its a very young Business and yet managed to reach Unprecedented heights in the Entertainment Industry..

Nope all good bro, I knew what you meant. Just thought I'd clarify for the guys I was originally responding to when they eventually read it.

And ya its incredible how much its grown. As a gigantic history nerd I love all the time Ubi puts into these games to make sure they're historically authentic as possible, especially with the representation of FIrst Nations peoples. I remember back in the SNES days, like Killer Instinct, when they just gave the one Native American character as many stereotypes as you could possibly shove into one character. Good times...

anik_lc
09-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Oh, and I like your sig - the 'Original Assassin' thing kinda bugs me too!

Thanks. :D Yes, I know, I am a fan of both series since they launched. :)

Maybe we will see the following line in game:
"No animal were harmed during making the game or performing motion capture."

john63
09-14-2012, 07:00 AM
It looks like this has already been resolved, but as far as ACR's inconsistencies with Altair's abilities, I decided to blame Abstergo's "primitive" Animus software not being able to fully capture Altair's abilities (disarms, eagle vision while mobile, air assassinations, combo kills, etc) At the end of the day, Abstergo wouldn't care whether their Animus allowed you to perform certain techniques, as long as you could show them the memories they wanted, right?

The Animus 2.0 was designed with the goal of training Desmond, so they made the effort to include more techniques and more closely resemble a real assassination experience.

It still doesn't explain the air assassination in his first sequence, but I decided to chalk that up to Altair making it up in a moment of panic, and telling myself that Malik and Altair "standardized" it as an Assassin technique many years later.

*Just the ramblings of a madman, trying to force an explanation onto everything*

Calvarok
09-14-2012, 07:16 AM
It's logical, and in line with what devs have said, particularly about the air assassination.

GLHS
09-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Are you sure about that? Just as an example, answer me this: CoD vs. Assassin's Creed. Which would you pick?

CoD got famous off of it's award winning gameplay, and it's fun and addicting. But after making the same d@mn thing year....after year....after year.....and basically just the same rehashed story and gameplay for 7 years straight in different setting, they are losing their fanbase. People are dropping like flies b/c they don't care to make the campaign better (or longer....or more engaging), and they don't care to change their gameplay and add different and innovative mechanics. Every game, as soon as you sit down, you know exactly what to expect. You know exactly how mulitplayer will feel. It's the same rehashed experience. And they don't care enough to listen to their fans and make something worth picking up, just like the first time players sat down with CoD4, when it was still new and innovative. Instead it's the "Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra, and that gets old after the second attempt. But they just don't get it. And they never will. B/c their rehashed versions of CoD4 are still selling millions on release day. Not from being a great game, but from people wishing, year after year, that this one will be better than the last. That it will finally be what they've been waiting for.

And to get this straight, just so I don't sound like a CoD hater just b/c everybody else is: I was right there with their fanbase every step of the way until Black Ops. I played CoD4 when it released, and was completely hooked for years. I invested countess hours in MP and getting better. However, after Black Ops released and I got sick of each update making it worse, hacks galore, and horrible over-priced DLC almost every d@mn month, without a single effort from the devs to actually stop it or make anything better, I was done. I gave up, and when it came down to BF3 and MW3 being released, I took a chance and bought BF3, even though I hadn't played a game in the series before. I love it, and haven't looked back since. I don't regret giving up CoD, and I feel like I've have enough experiences to know what I'm talking about. Now, back on track:

AC on the other hand, while of course having it's faults and time constraints by trying to go annual, has arguably gotten better with each installment. The story gets deeper, more enriching. Core gameplay remains the same, but mechanics are different from game to game, and become more innovative and most are useful and engaging. After realizing that they've gone as far as the can go with the current gameplay, mechanics, and characters, they've decided to do a COMPLETE overhaul on everything. Right down to button mapping and movement. Even the core mechanics that have stayed the same (assassinating, climbing, leap of faith, etc.), are kept the same without invading on what's made them good to begin with, but are also refined are polished even more, giving it a different look and feel. Connor climbing, running, and killing is much different that Ezio doing it. The story continues, and becomes ever deeper and more conspiracy ridden, all while tying loose ends and answering questions (quite consistently, I might add) from previous installments. While playing the games, you feel like you're only experiencing a small part of a huge and involved story, but it's also satisfying enough to stand on it's own. It's not a seemingly different story on the surface, and then as you start to pick it apart you realize "Hey, I've done this before. Just in a different part of the world."

Now, can you still tell me that you'd prefer a fun and addicting (for lack of a better word) game and/or series, over a game/series with a rich, immersive story?

UbiGabe
09-14-2012, 08:00 PM
...small question though: Certain people and I are a big fan of the riding on pigs idea. I'm almost afraid to ask but: how about riding on bears? Rodeo style a (dangerous) option?

Erm... horse riding = yes. Other animals... not so much.

BTW - You can only ride horses that have saddles (some do not). Most wild animals do not come equipped with saddles. RATIONAL GAME DESIGN FTW!!!

UbiGabe
09-14-2012, 08:04 PM
will they attack on sight ?, i hated how wolves and bears would lock onto you in red dead, and try to kill you for no reason

Bears won't necessarily attack on sight, but definitely will if you bother them (wander too close) or harass their babies. Wolves are more likely to attack on sight and in packs, because that's what wolves do. Cougars will jump out of nowhere when you least expect it (but only in their territory)... so they will attack on sight, I guess, but you probably will not see them first so it's tough to say whether or not they attack EVERY time.

Ielgon
09-14-2012, 08:57 PM

BTW - You can only ride horses that have saddles (some do not). Most wild animals do not come equipped with saddles. RATIONAL GAME DESIGN FTW!!!

My assassin bear riding fantasies where we can ride a bear and make it completely rip templars to pieces will have to wait then... some day.... XD

Didn't know there where horses without saddles in the game too (wild horses I assume), thanks UbiGabe!

SixKeys
09-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Bears won't necessarily attack on sight, but definitely will if you bother them (wander too close) or harass their babies. Wolves are more likely to attack on sight and in packs, because that's what wolves do. Cougars will jump out of nowhere when you least expect it (but only in their territory)... so they will attack on sight, I guess, but you probably will not see them first so it's tough to say whether or not they attack EVERY time.

There are cougars in the game? Dammit, I hated those bastards in Red Dead. Although it might be better in AC because the auto-save system in RDR was terrible.

So there are baby animals too? Can Connor buy a puppy?;)

dex3108BL
09-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Well i would like to see some drunk man in game that is trying to ride a pig XD That would be hilarious, also catching wild horse and putting/buying him saddle would be awesome.

ACfan443
09-14-2012, 09:50 PM

How fast are the horses? Can they gallop, or are they limited to trotting like in brotherhood?

LoyalACFan
09-14-2012, 10:43 PM
There are cougars in the game? Dammit, I hated those bastards in Red Dead. Although it might be better in AC because the auto-save system in RDR was terrible.

So there are baby animals too? Can Connor buy a puppy?;)

It will be better, I'm sure. The problem with RDR's cougars was that if they hit you or your horse once, you were screwed because you went ragdoll and couldn't aim. At least in AC, you can (presumably) dodge them and fight them as seen with the wolves.

SteelCity999
09-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Does anyone know if animals will attack other animals? Say Connor is wandering the frontier and comes upon a deer and say a bear or cougar is near by, will the cougar attack the deer? Can Connor use the animals against others? Or will they all peacefully coexist?

pacmanate
09-14-2012, 11:09 PM
What penalty?

Ork3n
09-14-2012, 11:10 PM
It looks like this has already been resolved, but as far as ACR's inconsistencies with Altair's abilities, I decided to blame Abstergo's "primitive" Animus software not being able to fully capture Altair's abilities (disarms, eagle vision while mobile, air assassinations, combo kills, etc) At the end of the day, Abstergo wouldn't care whether their Animus allowed you to perform certain techniques, as long as you could show them the memories they wanted, right?

The Animus 2.0 was designed with the goal of training Desmond, so they made the effort to include more techniques and more closely resemble a real assassination experience.

It still doesn't explain the air assassination in his first sequence, but I decided to chalk that up to Altair making it up in a moment of panic, and telling myself that Malik and Altair "standardized" it as an Assassin technique many years later.

*Just the ramblings of a madman, trying to force an explanation onto everything*

Well, for the disarms, mobile eagle vision, and combos it can be explained like that because there's nothing in the story of the Ac's that says "This was learnt after that". When talking about eagle vision and eagle sense, we obviously were told by developers that ezio developed eagle vision even further into eagle sense by using it for years, and in Ac1 we had eagle vision so it's imposible for altair to have eagle vision before ac1.... The first mission of AcR as altair was 2 years before Ac1.
And for the assassination methods, altair writted in the codice that he worked with malik to make them, and if it's so, altair only did it after ac1 and not before he burnt al-muhalim so it's also invalid to say it was due to animus 1.28.

And about what's more important story or gameplay, if something is explain throught the story, then the gameplay should be a true representation of the story. Just as some1 said, It's not like let's make a mohawk charactert so we can add hunting, it's more like: We have a mohawk character so why don't we add hunting AND pray at the dead body of the animal just like native americans used to do?

Assassin_M
09-14-2012, 11:14 PM
What penalty?
When you don't honor the dead Animal, you`ll lose Sync

TheDanteEX
09-14-2012, 11:55 PM

Who's to say the air assassination was the way Altair killed the Templar in Revelations? The first time playing through I didn't even know you could air assassinate Haras(?). I actually jumped into the hay on the other side of the castle gate and secretly did away with all the guards before running up and finishing off the target. Perhaps the ability was known by Desmond and nothing is stopping him from controlling Altair however he wants as long as the memory ends the same way: with the target dead. So to sum it up, the air or ledge assassinations were not a requirement in the first two Altair missions.

Assassin_M
09-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Who's to say the air assassination was the way Altair killed the Templar in Revelations? The first time playing through I didn't even know you could air assassinate Haras(?). I actually jumped into the hay on the other side of the castle gate and secretly did away with all the guards before running up and finishing off the target. Perhaps the ability was known by Desmond and nothing is stopping him from controlling Altair however he wants as long as the memory ends the same way: with the target dead. So to sum it up, the air or ledge assassinations were not a requirement in the first two Altair missions.
Who the hell says that Altair "Invented" Air Assassination ? What the hell ??
Altair knew the move and wanted to teach it later.. how is that conflict ?? And Desmond can`t "Know" something and then Implement it into the Animus.. Its the other way around..

TheDanteEX
09-15-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm sure it's agreed Altair "popularized" the move, but my point was that Desmond is in control of Altair for that memory. So Desmond knows more techniques than Altair did by the time he relives Altair's earlier memories.

Assassin_M
09-15-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm sure it's agreed Altair "popularized" the move, but my point was that Desmond is in control of Altair for that memory. So Desmond knows more techniques than Altair did by the time he relives Altair's earlier memories.
Again, it doesn't work that way..

Desmond cannot implement what he knows while controlling Altair....

LightRey
09-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Again, it doesn't work that way..

Desmond cannot implement what he knows while controlling Altair....
Well he probably can to an extent, but I'm quite sure there are limitations, yes.

Assassin_M
09-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Well he probably can to an extent, but I'm quite sure there are limitations, yes.
Forgive my lack of clarification..

But indeed, yes..

itsamea-mario
09-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Well, Desmond clearly doesn't have total control, otherwise reliving memories would go nowhere since he'd have no idea what to do.

As for this thread, i like the idea of penalising us for not respecting the animals death, it's nice.

Ork3n
09-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Who the hell says that Altair "Invented" Air Assassination ? What the hell ??
Altair knew the move and wanted to teach it later.. how is that conflict ?? And Desmond can`t "Know" something and then Implement it into the Animus.. Its the other way around..

Altair knew the move and wanted to teach latter seems more apropiate... but even so, he writted in the codex that he designed the air assasination, the edge assassination and the haystake assassination with malik.

And about the eagle sense in the first mission of altair in AcR?

LightRey
09-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Altair knew the move and wanted to teach latter seems more apropiate... but even so, he writted in the codex that he designed the air assasination, the edge assassination and the haystake assassination with malik.

Not designed. They discussed them and implemented ways to teach them to other assassins as standardized techniques.

Assassin_M
09-15-2012, 12:40 AM

You can`t design a Maneuver..

And regarding the eagle vision.. There could`v been many reasons. Altair was raised as an Assassin since 5... He was an Assassin for far longer than Ezio and we don't know when Exactly Ezio developed Eagle sense..so you cant say he was 52 when he mastered eagle sense..

CalgaryJay
09-15-2012, 02:07 AM
Are you sure about that? Just as an example, answer me this: CoD vs. Assassin's Creed. Which would you pick?

CoD got famous off of it's award winning gameplay, and it's fun and addicting. But after making the same d@mn thing year....

Now, can you still tell me that you'd prefer a fun and addicting (for lack of a better word) game and/or series, over a game/series with a rich, immersive story?

I can't really answer that because to be honest I've never really played a CoD game before, outside of the Allies storming the Normandy beaches opening level in III for the PS1. I can't stand FPS's, they've rattled me all the way back to Goldeneye on the 64, and even way back to Duke Nuke 'Em in the mid 90's. That angle just gets me dizzy, plus I hate how you are constantly running into things because you can't see what's at your feet.

I much prefer a story. What I was getting at with my post last night (or this morning, depending where you're at in this crazy world), is I thought in my half asleep state that the post I responded to was saying they'd actually prefer to leave out a cool new feature that would otherwise improve the game if there was no sensible, practical way to introduce it into the storyline, which I disagree with. I love a good story in a game, I just don't mind if it has a few plot holes, if said plot holes means introducing a cool feature.

GLHS
09-15-2012, 12:31 PM
I can't really answer that because to be honest I've never really played a CoD game before, outside of the Allies storming the Normandy beaches opening level in III for the PS1. I can't stand FPS's, they've rattled me all the way back to Goldeneye on the 64, and even way back to Duke Nuke 'Em in the mid 90's. That angle just gets me dizzy, plus I hate how you are constantly running into things because you can't see what's at your feet.

I much prefer a story. What I was getting at with my post last night (or this morning, depending where you're at in this crazy world), is I thought in my half asleep state that the post I responded to was saying they'd actually prefer to leave out a cool new feature that would otherwise improve the game if there was no sensible, practical way to introduce it into the storyline, which I disagree with. I love a good story in a game, I just don't mind if it has a few plot holes, if said plot holes means introducing a cool feature.

That makes a bit more sense. A lot of new features aren't given reasons and just thrown in there as a way to make it different. That's one thing that also sets AC aside from most other franchises. Most everything is given a logical reason as to why it's there, or changed from previous installments. Some are spelled out in the story, and others aren't, but most everything is given a reason, and that's mainly why there aren't many plotholes. They've somehow managed to do a wonderful job of covering all angles. And with a story like they have, that's very impressive.

I was just giving CoD as an example, mostly b/c it's an easy target and the easiest one to describe. But GTA is (or was, anyway) the same way. I haven't played it's current gen installments, but the rest of them have a dull, rehashed storyline. They can come up with as many different characters and backgrounds as they want, but when it boils down, they are all just dudes that run around killing people, stealing cars, and creating general havoc in the cites. It's fun at first, sure, but after 4 installments of the exact same thing, you get bored. And I could pop any one of them in, run around killing cops and jumping cars for an hour, and then I'm bored to death. Or lets say....Guitar Hero. There's a reason why they're not making them anymore. It's fun, addicting, and pretty cool to play songs you like with or without friends, but the campaign storylines are horrid and there's only so many different features you can come up with. They lost a lot of their fanbase due to year after year the games being basically identical except for a different playlist and some (most of the time only one or 2) new features. After playing the same songs over and over again, it's gets annoying and monotonous.

So while I see your point, and agree that a new feature shouldn't be brushed aside if there isn't a story reason for it, I still think I at least make a good explanation for why story trumps gameplay. But only if it's good. If the story sucks, and the gameplay sucks....well then it's just not fun on any level :p

As for the thread (b/c I know this stuff is a little off topic), I'm happy to see that there will be accurate and realistic tracking while hunting, and not just using Eagle Vision all the time, or just running around and randomly coming across one. It's also kinda nice that there will be horses with saddles that you can ride, and then wild horses as well. It's amazing to see that there are so many animal types, which we already knew there'd be around 30. While I've always loved city play, it's the frontier that I see my self spending most of my time in. Tree running, hunting, tracking. It's gonna be a blast. Oh, and I'm very happy to see that there will be some sort of a "thank you for your sacrifice" ritual done by Connor. It's a feature that I never thought of before, but now that it's mentioned, I can just see so much needless slaughtering of animals by people without it, just b/c it's fun to hunt. They're not only being put there to make the wilderness realistic, but also a gameplay feature for different trades and pelts and stuff, and there's a story reason to back it up, which makes the penalty of not taking everything the animal has to offer even more necessary. It prevents people from just going crazy out there, while also protecting the moral and religious (by religious I mean Mohawk traditions) views of the players and characters. Awesome.

pacmanate
09-15-2012, 12:59 PM
When you don't honor the dead Animal, you`ll lose Sync

So.. we pray? Do you mean you just can't go Ape **** on the animal with a club?

GLHS
09-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Technically you can't anyway. Not much of the pelt would be salvagable. But I don't think it's just praying. It's also taking everything you can (from pelts to meat, bones, teeth, etc.) in order to trade and stuff. Obviously a "thank you" ritual is conducted, but if you just kill something and walk away, without skinning it and taking what you can, then it's seen as an immoral kill and you're desynched.

Ork3n
09-15-2012, 01:38 PM

I don't need a story explanation to implement a gameplay mechanic, i just want the gameplay mechanics that were built arround the story keep coherent to the story.... Am i the only one that see it that way? ._.

CalgaryJay
09-15-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't need a story explanation to implement a gameplay mechanic, i just want the gameplay mechanics that were built arround the story keep coherent to the story.... Am i the only one that see it that way? ._.

So while I see your point, and agree that a new feature shouldn't be brushed aside if there isn't a story reason for it, I still think I at least make a good explanation for why story trumps gameplay. But only if it's good. If the story sucks, and the gameplay sucks....well then it's just not fun on any level :p

Oh agreed, I should mention that I also much prefer if it makes sense to the story, and if it doesn't I will probably roll my eyes a bit. But at the end of the day I can let it slide if implementing a certain gameplay mechanic doesn't fit absolutely seamlessly into the story. Haha I actually chuckled a bit when you mentioned GTA just because those are probably my all-time favourite non-sports games on this & the previous generation of consoles (nothing against AC, LOVE this series. Its just that I didn't discover it until 2010, whereas I've been playing GTA since 2001). Ya GTA can be a little silly, especially if you're into movie-style storylines in games (which I am too by the way, it just isn't an absolute requirement for me in every game), but I still find it all sorts of immature fun, plus I love how they poke fun at North American culture with the radio stations, etc. So we may just have to agree to disagree a bit in that regard, different tastes for different gamers. I actually think we both agree on the same thing, just that I'm willing to sacrifice realism a bit more for a cool feature. Which is fine from both our perspectives.

As for the thread (b/c I know this stuff is a little off topic), I'm happy to see that there will be accurate and realistic tracking while hunting, and not just using Eagle Vision all the time, or just running around and randomly coming across one. It's also kinda nice that there will be horses with saddles that you can ride, and then wild horses as well. It's amazing to see that there are so many animal types, which we already knew there'd be around 30. While I've always loved city play, it's the frontier that I see my self spending most of my time in. Tree running, hunting, tracking. It's gonna be a blast. Oh, and I'm very happy to see that there will be some sort of a "thank you for your sacrifice" ritual done by Connor. It's a feature that I never thought of before, but now that it's mentioned, I can just see so much needless slaughtering of animals by people without it, just b/c it's fun to hunt. They're not only being put there to make the wilderness realistic, but also a gameplay feature for different trades and pelts and stuff, and there's a story reason to back it up, which makes the penalty of not taking everything the animal has to offer even more necessary. It prevents people from just going crazy out there, while also protecting the moral and religious (by religious I mean Mohawk traditions) views of the players and characters. Awesome.

Haha ya I'm fine getting it back on topic, after semi-derailing it I actually felt bad once I noticed UbiGabe (which is awesome an AC developer actually posts here btw) was posting in this thread earlier, and then after me creeping on his profile and noticing he barely posts, I don't want to derail a thread regarding an article he wrote, in the hope he'll keep posting. Ya I love how you will get desynchronized if you just go around slaughtering animals, as like you said, it doesn't fit with the First Nations' culture or beliefs. I have a ton of respect for Ubisoft in terms of how important historical realism is to them, as a massive history buff its one of my favourite things about this series. I also see myself spending most of my time in the frontier, as a huge RDR fan I'm curious to see how it stacks up against it in this regard. **** I can't wait for this to come out..

masterfenix2009
09-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Getting desynchronised for not skinning animals sounds very....annoying.

Kit572
09-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Getting desynchronised for not skinning animals sounds very....annoying.

haha agreed. Like, seriously, what If the player is vegetarian? XD

EDIT: Actually, what if the player is an animal lover?

Ork3n
09-15-2012, 05:12 PM

What's worst for an animal lover, kill only for the sake of killing the animal or kill and use all the parts of the dead animal?

Ielgon
09-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Guys I just though of something....can bears climb in the game?

Kit572
09-15-2012, 05:24 PM
What's worst for an animal lover, kill only for the sake of killing the animal or kill and use all the parts of the dead animal?

I was thinking both...

Locopells
09-15-2012, 05:40 PM

There's a thread about this, somewhere.

Kit572
09-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Really? Where?

Locopells
09-15-2012, 05:53 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/713855-I-am-an-animal-lover

GLHS
09-16-2012, 01:20 PM
I love animals.... but if you're going to use them for food, or in self defense, I see nothing wrong with hunting. It's only immoral or inhumane in you just kill them for sport and do nothing with them.

BeCk41
09-16-2012, 01:31 PM
SOOOoooo, can we hunt moose in this game? I mean, it is in North America so anything can happen...

I would also love to have a log cabin or something, much similar to the Assassin lair hangout... place... thingy, that was in the other games so I can hang my trophies. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/veryhappy.gif

GLHS
09-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Well there is supposed to be an Assassin hangout thing where Connor hangs his hat, pretty much like in all the other games. It's indicated by the trophy list.

Lass4r
09-17-2012, 10:22 AM
SOOOoooo, can we hunt moose in this game? I mean, it is in North America so anything can happen...

I would also love to have a log cabin or something, much similar to the Assassin lair hangout... place... thingy, that was in the other games so I can hang my trophies. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/veryhappy.gif
Yea you can hunt moose =) There's a video which included a prototype of Connor assassinating a moose :p I think it was the preview for IGN's "Making AC3" series.

deskp
09-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Everyone hated the long skinning animation on red dead, with ac3 forcing you to skin, they better make the animation skippable.'

In my opinion losing synch should only happen when you die.

If it only takes away some of your hit points then I'm ok.... unless its permanent

SixKeys
09-17-2012, 10:32 AM
It's not even necessary to have a skinning animation. They could make it similar to how Ezio loots bodies, just have Connor bend over the animal like he's inspecting it and "pretend" he took everything.

lonewarrior30
09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
so...can we play dead? :D

Requiscent
09-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Everyone hated the long skinning animation on red dead, with ac3 forcing you to skin, they better make the animation skippable.'

In my opinion losing synch should only happen when you die.

If it only takes away some of your hit points then I'm ok.... unless its permanent

To be fair, the skinning animation could be skipped entirely in Red Dead.

BATISTABUS
09-17-2012, 02:04 PM
If you guys are so concerned with skinning the animals...why are you even hunting? Do you just want to murder the **** out of them? If so, you'd be better off just fighting guards, considering they're far less work to find and kill.

pacmanate
09-17-2012, 02:18 PM
To be fair, the skinning animation could be skipped entirely in Red Dead.

Yup, just let your horse stand over the dead animal and click skin :D

IceHot100
09-17-2012, 05:25 PM
so...can we play dead? :D

Haha, we could. But I don't think Connor would do that :P. Even if he tried and some bear came close to him, he would "assassinate" him and count it as one of his "Animal Templar Targets" :D

dex3108BL
09-18-2012, 03:56 PM
According this Italian blog post we will be able to aim manually or automatic.

http://games.hdblog.it/2012/09/18/assassins-creed-3-e-assassins-creed-3-liberation-preview-by-hdblog/

Slayer_WTF
09-18-2012, 04:07 PM

http://games.hdblog.it/2012/09/18/assassins-creed-3-e-assassins-creed-3-liberation-preview-by-hdblog/

Oh, finally.

lothario-da-be
09-18-2012, 06:58 PM

words can't express how happy a man can be.

pacmanate
09-18-2012, 07:12 PM
I am a happy man

dex3108BL
09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
That i what they wrote :D don't blame me if it is not true when game come out :D

IceHot100
09-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Don't understand the language but still..YESSS! :P