PDA

View Full Version : Frontier Discussion..

SteelCity999
09-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Alot of us have wondered whether there would be enough to do in the frontier and if it would resemble the kingdom in AC1 with not much to do.

After seeing all of the dev diaries, it really looks like the frontier is going to the best part of the game. They keep showing more and more of it, each time getting better and better. It looks natural and looks loaded with alot of variety. Knowing that over a third of the game is going to take place in this area sounds even more exciting after see the footage.

What do you think about what you have seen? Do you look forward to playing there or in the cities? Or are you still worried?

LoyalACFan
09-12-2012, 08:09 PM
I think it looks awesome, my only worry is the rock climbing. I think most gamers are still stuck in the frame of mind that only square objects can be climbed upon in Assassin's Creed, so I wonder how intuitive it will be to find surfaces that can be climbed. I mean, honestly, in the frontier demo, if I hadn't been shown exactly where the path was, I would have never in a million years guessed you could slip down that little cranny by the tree and climb up the cliff.

IceHot100
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I look forward to playing in the Frontier. Even if it's not up to my expection (doub it), it will still be something new and innovative, never done before. I would love to play in the Frontier. But the cities also look fresh as new. Not those old beautyful and colorful buildings in the previous ACs. The cities look much more "straight" and pre- modern and I love it!

Umbra_Blade
09-12-2012, 08:41 PM
I think it looks awesome, my only worry is the rock climbing. I think most gamers are still stuck in the frame of mind that only square objects can be climbed upon in Assassin's Creed, so I wonder how intuitive it will be to find surfaces that can be climbed. I mean, honestly, in the frontier demo, if I hadn't been shown exactly where the path was, I would have never in a million years guessed you could slip down that little cranny by the tree and climb up the cliff.

I get the feeling climbable surfaces will have the path hinted at by either snow in the winter, or moss in the summer in the rock crevasses or trees, so it acts like a hint that isn't blatantly obvious but is still recognisable when you are running at full pace and need to know where your options are. Also once you get into the game, it will probably start to become obvious what things are climbable, I would compare it to Uncharted in that, when you start off you don't really know what your path is, but as you progress you get a "feel" for what features are climbable, and those that are just there as aesthetic features.

LoyalACFan
09-12-2012, 08:53 PM
I get the feeling climbable surfaces will have the path hinted at by either snow in the winter, or moss in the summer in the rock crevasses or trees, so it acts like a hint that isn't blatantly obvious but is still recognisable when you are running at full pace and need to know where your options are. Also once you get into the game, it will probably start to become obvious what things are climbable, I would compare it to Uncharted in that, when you start off you don't really know what your path is, but as you progress you get a "feel" for what features are climbable, and those that are just there as aesthetic features.

I hope it's not like Uncharted... All the rock paths looked extremely fake to me.

CalgaryJay
09-12-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm definitely excited to play in the Frontier and do some hunting. As a huge fan of RDR (probably my favourite game of this generation of consoles), I won't be able to help but compare it to that - on a smaller scale of course - hopefully it holds its own well. From what I've seen the animals (horses aside) look better in ACIII, which I'm impressed about. Even to just nerd out on the topography for a bit and look around will be a lot of fun I think. Man I can't wait to get my hands on this game..

SteelCity999
09-12-2012, 08:54 PM

I think from what they have shown so far, it is a great deal less obvious than Uncharted - at least in the rock climbing. I know when I watched the Inside AC3 Pt 3, Connor was climbing what looked like a 50 ft cliff and running on everything but didn't see any obvious clues. It's definitely a different experience than other games.

Also, they have shown a bear, and a wolf so far but mainly just deer. I wonder what other animals are going to show up.

LoyalACFan
09-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Also, they have shown a bear, and a wolf so far but mainly just deer. I wonder what other animals are going to show up.

Wild turkeys were recently confirmed, and moose have been shown in screenshots. Also, a certain flat-tailed semi-aquatic mammal whose name rhymes with "weaver", which I apparently can't spell out on here due to Ubi's overzealous auto-censor :nonchalance:

hadarm18
09-12-2012, 09:47 PM
i think that 35% of the main story missions will happen in the frontier
and that is just main missions so alot of stuff will be there for sure

pacmanate
09-12-2012, 09:55 PM
As soon as they said the Frontier would house a third of the games missions, I knew it wasn't going to be empty.

AnthonyA85
09-12-2012, 10:57 PM
From what we've been told by Alex, he said once during an interview or something, that EVERYTHING is climable now, and there there are no "Set grids" or paths for us to follow, we can climb cliffs, trees and buildings however we want.

I don't exactly remember where or when this was said, but i definitely remember it, or maybe it was in an article or something, but climbing is definitely not as "linear" as it has been in previous games.

I can't wait to see the Cougars that were mentioned in that "types of animals" interview that was posted couple of days ago.

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2012, 11:04 PM
From what we've been told by Alex, he said once during an interview or something, that EVERYTHING is climable now, and there there are no "Set grids" or paths for us to follow, we can climb cliffs, trees and buildings however we want.

I don't exactly remember where or when this was said, but i definitely remember it, or maybe it was in an article or something, but climbing is definitely not as "linear" as it has been in previous games.

I can't wait to see the Cougars that were mentioned in that "types of animals" interview that was posted couple of days ago.
Yeah he did mention that, I'm so pumped for this game, November can't come sooner >_<

I can't wait to get some Templar bears in the Frontier and how the missions play out there.

MetalCreed
09-12-2012, 11:40 PM
The frontier reminds me a lot of RDR...

But yeah, the frontier is going to be the best part of the game. Hunting, streaming down a river in your canoe, jumping through trees, fending off yourself from wild creatures, meeting the occasional man in the forest, random events, people you can stealth in, and kill using the trees..

Locopells
09-13-2012, 02:08 AM
Well they said that they came up with the idea, and were then like 'oh s**t' when RDR came out...

Gonna be good though!

Calvarok
09-13-2012, 03:57 AM
RDR plays totally differently, and the type of terrain we'll be traversing and the ways in which we can do so will be far different, less open space, more content and actual play are. Plus AC's horses control so much better than RDR's.

LoyalACFan
09-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Plus AC's horses control so much better than RDR's.

LOLWUT? AC horses are terrible compared to RDR's.

rileypoole1234
09-13-2012, 04:04 AM
I really want to see some more of the Frontier in the Summer. I also would really like at least a picture of Lexington and Concord.

SteelCity999
09-13-2012, 04:11 AM
RDR plays totally differently, and the type of terrain we'll be traversing and the ways in which we can do so will be far different, less open space, more content and actual play are. Plus AC's horses control so much better than RDR's.

I will agree with you that RDR had alot of open spaces and that AC clearly has more content in the frontier. Not sure about the horses though....I thought RDR got that right.

Assassin_M
09-13-2012, 04:17 AM
LOLWUT? AC horses are terrible compared to RDR's.
Seeing as RDR`s horses were actually Mo-capped...

But I think he`s referring to something else..

Calvarok
09-13-2012, 04:52 AM
Obviously I meant control-wise. That's why I literally said "Control better" not "Look better". Movement in rockstar games is always the worst part, and RDR was no different. I have to continually tap the A/X button and I have to control it like a car, steering instead of just pointing where I want to go? Yeah, AC has that control scheme beat by a mile. Simply point where you want to be with the left sick, and go faster just the same as you would off horseback. Also don't need to worry about being on paths for optimal speed, which doesn't make much sense and is annoying.

I love RDR, but it had problems.

tarrero
09-13-2012, 05:00 AM
With every "inside" video my interest on the Frontier grows!!!! It does look very cool.

Assassin_M
09-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Obviously I meant control-wise. That's why I literally said "Control better" not "Look better". Movement in rockstar games is always the worst part, and RDR was no different. I have to continually tap the A/X button and I have to control it like a car, steering instead of just pointing where I want to go? Yeah, AC has that control scheme beat by a mile. Simply point where you want to be with the left sick, and go faster just the same as you would off horseback. Also don't need to worry about being on paths for optimal speed, which doesn't make much sense and is annoying.

I love RDR, but it had problems.
OOOOH... I need to stop the urge of arguing about RDR..

The Frontier will be **** load of crap to do everywhere...a third of the story, clubs, mini-games, Hunting, canoeing, tree running.. Yeah we`ll love it

E-Zekiel
09-13-2012, 05:46 AM
I LIKED the Kingdom in AC1. That the Frontier will be similar, but with missions, makes me like the idea even more.

pacmanate
09-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Seeing as RDR`s horses were actually Mo-capped...

But I think he`s referring to something else..

You mean the fact that everytime Connor dismounts a horse the horses poops its own tail out then sucks it back up?

Legendz54
09-13-2012, 10:10 AM
The frontier looks awesome, When i finish the game i will spend a lot of time there, the first thing i am going to do is lead some bears to Guards.

dewgel
09-13-2012, 06:39 PM
The frontier looks awesome, When i finish the game i will spend a lot of time there, the first thing i am going to do is lead some bears to Guards.

After what will most likely be a 2 hour tutorial of Connor as a child, you mean? Haha.

LoyalACFan
09-13-2012, 08:29 PM
You mean the fact that everytime Connor dismounts a horse the horses poops its own tail out then sucks it back up?

Well, you can still opt to stand up and jump off the horse should you so desire. I may go for that option :p

Assassin_M
09-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Well, you can still opt to stand up and jump off the horse should you so desire. I may go for that option :p

The horses still suck in AC..

They are GIANT.. My god.. and the Animations ? Pff forget it... Sure it operates so well, but I dont like having to play with a horse that has nothing changed but the reins and saddle

pacmanate
09-13-2012, 10:56 PM
The horses still suck in AC..

They are GIANT.. My god.. and the Animations ? Pff forget it... Sure it operates so well, but I dont like having to play with a horse that has nothing changed but the reins and saddle

Woah there, don't forget the feet slots.

Assassin_M
09-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Woah there, don't forget the feet slots.

Havent seen them close enough to decide..

tarrero
09-13-2012, 11:07 PM
It was always bothered how the horses stop for a second before make a jump......
And RDR controls in terms on horse are a bit rusty, but the animations, at least at this point, are way better.

Assassin_M
09-13-2012, 11:08 PM
It was always bothered how the horses stop for a second before make a jump......
And RDR controls in terms on horse are a bit rusty, but the animations, at least at this point, is way better.
The whole system is damaged..
Not just the jump... they should`v made a total revamp of the horses since they`ll play a much larger role now..

pacmanate
09-13-2012, 11:10 PM
AC's horse animations have been the same for 5 years, I find that lazy.

Assassin_M
09-13-2012, 11:13 PM
AC's horse animations have been the same for 5 years, I find that lazy.

They werent really relevant..

AC I introduced horses
AC II just had no travel distances..
ACB Meh some additions here and there, but still short travel distances..
ACR removed horses altogether..
AC III... JUST WHY ?? I mean.. 1.5 Rome is large... Make it different for god`s sake... refreshing.. -__-

pacmanate
09-13-2012, 11:15 PM
They werent really relevant..

AC I introduced horses
AC II just had no travel distances..
ACB Meh some additions here and there, but still short travel distances..
ACR removed horses altogether..
AC III... JUST WHY ?? I mean.. 1.5 Rome is large... Make it different for god`s sake... refreshing.. -__-

I know they weren't in past games I just mean why not for AC3, it is lazy! At least we agree.

Assassin_M
09-13-2012, 11:19 PM
I know they weren't in past games I just mean why not for AC3, it is lazy! At least we agree.
You`re darn right we do..

CalgaryJay
09-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Maybe I just haven't looked closely enough at what's been released so far, but are we that sure horses haven't been updated at all? If so, I concur, that's brutal.

I thought they were great in AC1, then I played RDR...

Ork3n
09-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Maybe I just haven't looked closely enough at what's been released so far, but are we that sure horses haven't been updated at all? If so, I concur, that's brutal.

I thought they were great in AC1, then I played RDR...

Assassin's Creed III Frontier E3 Demo - nuff said?

And the worst thing? No running (high profile + feet) when in winter (not confirmed for summer) - Like in Roma :(

NOLA_Assassin
09-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Is the Frontier bigger than the Kingdom? I remember thinking the Kingdom was bigger than Rome, but I could be wrong...

Legendz54
09-14-2012, 10:42 AM
I wish horses could sprint like in AC1 , it would be so cool chasing deers with horses.

Locopells
09-14-2012, 12:18 PM
They'll be able to gallop during the summer, surely. It's natural, however, that they can't go that fast through deep snow...

pacmanate
09-14-2012, 12:34 PM
My biggest problem with the horses is everything

The way they walk, the way they run, the way gallop was taken out, the way they control, the way they look, the size of them, and the AI, the fact that they stop before they jump, stop after the jump and then run.

I thought Alex said they only improved the AI of the horses so they didn't run off cliffs, yet I thought horses in AC always did this anyway, when you get to a ledge to high they stop.

deskp
09-14-2012, 12:48 PM
ACB didn't relaly call for faster horses seeing as it was mostly in the city. Might be that a too fast horse may be faster than the loading speed of the assets, and therefor they limit it so the game won't look messed up. AC1 didn't have much of trees or anything so the speed wasn't a problem.

I thought the horses were fine in ACB, sure it take a little while to get used to but when you do it's fine.

I do wish they looked better tho.

Locopells
09-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Apparently if you had a Solid State Drive, you could gallop in ACB.

Ork3n
09-14-2012, 01:35 PM
ACB didn't relaly call for faster horses seeing as it was mostly in the city. Might be that a too fast horse may be faster than the loading speed of the assets, and therefor they limit it so the game won't look messed up. AC1 didn't have much of trees or anything so the speed wasn't a problem.

I thought the horses were fine in ACB, sure it take a little while to get used to but when you do it's fine.

I do wish they looked better tho.

In PC, those who had SSD could galop with horses. The problem is that a SSD is very expensive compared to HDD and only Assassin's Creed Brotherhood takes some advantage of it.