PDA

View Full Version : Pacifism in Assassin's Creed

Mr.Matola21
09-12-2012, 06:29 PM
As a brief introduction, I've found myself becoming increasingly averse to committing acts of violence in video games. This isn't necessarily opposition to violence in video games in general, so much as I just have an interest in pursuing alternative means of accomplishing objectives due to a rather invasive habit of humanizing the admittedly hollow avatars of guards in video games. Consequently, I would like to ask you, the community of fans and perhaps developers, exactly how feasible is it to successfully assassinate one's target without murdering all of the guards in a given area?

Dralight
09-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Well it was stated that in ACIII it is possible to go through the entire game without killing anyone except for your targets. They've added a bunch of non lethal takedowns for Connor because they like the idea of allowing the player to go through the game without having to kill every guard you come across.

LightRey
09-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Depends on the target, but generally, yes.

HisSpiritLives
09-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Well it was stated that in ACIII it is possible to go through the entire game without killing anyone except for your targets. They've added a bunch of non lethal takedowns for Connor because they like the idea of allowing the player to go through the game without having to kill every guard you come across.

Yeah they are new lethal takedowns,but most of AC fans are eager to kill in AC3 :p

Umbra_Blade
09-12-2012, 06:38 PM
if you are good with smoke bombs (and caltrops in AC:R) along with the free-running aspect of the game, it is feasible I guess. But i think it really depends on your target, the location and the amount of guards they have protecting them.

itsamea-mario
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Well, it is a game about assassins, so you have to expect these people to be the type of person who will kill people for being in there way.

Dralight
09-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah they are new lethal takedowns,but most of AC fans are eager to kill in AC3 :p

Indeed, while the option to just "knock out" enemies instead of killing them is nice, Connor's kills look way too brutal to pass up. xD

SixKeys
09-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Well, it is a game about assassins, so you have to expect these people to be the type of person who will kill people for being in there way.

But one of the main tenets of the creed is "stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent". That's why Alta´r was punished for killing the old man in Solomon's Temple, despite the fact that said man was technically in his way. Most of the guards in AC aren't affiliated with the Templars, they're just doing their job.

To the OP: check out The Hidden Blade.com (http://www.thehiddenblade.com/). It's a site dedicated to finding creative ways to assassinate your targets in all the games, like sneaking in and out without alerting the guards or only killing your target. It offers some fun and challenging ideas for a (mostly) non-lethal playthrough.

POP1Fan
09-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Well, we are not playing Buddha's Creed...

Assassin_M
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Sometimes people forget that this is a Mature game..
It has "Assassin" in its title..
It shows Sharp objects on its cover..
And has Monologues that depict killing..

Free_Hidings
09-12-2012, 09:19 PM
I think it would be awesome if they removed the violence aspect from Assassin's Creed but kept the free running. You could run around, delivering mail or buying things from the local market for people in exchange for money which could be used to buy better free running gear or more parachutes for those super big jumps.

Instead of killing antagonists, we could simply talk to them, maybe convert them to Christianity and all live in perfect harmony

Ork3n
09-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Instead of killing antagonists, we could simply talk to them, maybe convert them to Christianity and all live in perfect harmony

No, no and no. It'd be just wrong!

itsamea-mario
09-12-2012, 10:29 PM
I think it would be awesome if they removed the violence aspect from Assassin's Creed but kept the free running. You could run around, delivering mail or buying things from the local market for people in exchange for money which could be used to buy better free running gear or more parachutes for those super big jumps.

oh. my. god. THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!

Free_Hidings
09-12-2012, 10:40 PM
oh. my. god. THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!

:D

Completely revamped combat mechanics!

Square / X: Convert!
X / A: Preach (Has be used on strong willed enemies to break defence)
Circle / B: Hug (While hugging, you can press Square / X, Triangle / Y, or X / A to perform a combination of advanced preaching techniques and shoulder massages)

itsamea-mario
09-12-2012, 10:45 PM

Circle / B: Hug (While hugging, you can press Square / X, Triangle / Y, or X / A to perform a combination of advanced preaching techniques and shoulder massages)

They need to hire you to make the next game!!!

Free_Hidings
09-12-2012, 11:15 PM
They need to hire you to make the next game!!!

If they aren't convinced yet, I have a few more ideas. Looking forward to being promoted to creative director of AC4.

- Intead of weapons, have equippable holy cross's and bibles. Possibly allow dual weilding, for more effective conversion.

- Remove running and free running, as an effective missionary will only walk (much more professional)

- Reduce standard walking speed by 70%

- You should be forced to convert civilians during your travels. Opposite to in previous games, you will lose health or synchronisation every 20 seconds that a civilian is left unconverted.

- Add a minigame which allows you to distribute knowledge and books.

- Have some missions where you conduct peace rallies and smoke weed.

These are just the main changes I will be implimenting, not to mention heaps of others (for example):

- 2000 new preaching animations

- 17 hours of pre recorded lines for use in in-game "combat"

- Game world reduced to 1/3 the size of Brotherhood map to compensate for removal of free running.

- Multiplayer included and adapted to new "passive aggressive" combat: Conversions WILL have priority over conversion resistances, though the use of holy hand grenades and wrist slaps can be used both offensively and defensively.

- New perks such as voice projection and quick thinking

- 5x Loss streak includes 2x voice speed and decreased walking speed (50%)

That's all I can give away for now.

Gespenst1246
09-12-2012, 11:23 PM
what do you do about those who refuse to believe? lol. 8P

Locopells
09-13-2012, 12:34 AM
http://www.tshirtprinting.co.uk/contents/media/pc291 national sarcasm.jpg

Free_Hidings
09-13-2012, 12:53 AM

Convert harder. That's the beauty of it :P

http://www.tshirtprinting.co.uk/contents/media/pc291 national sarcasm.jpg

Hahaha, I speak better sarcasm than English. (That was sarcasm)

But I have actually grown fond of my idea. Going to keep coming up with new ideas / game mechanics, hopefully without upsetting too many religious folk

TheDanteEX
09-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Killing or not, Connor is going to use violence to get the job done. Assassin's Creed is practically built on violence.

rileypoole1234
09-13-2012, 01:11 AM

Beheading.

I sort of agree with the OP though, the more I play games, the less I feel the need to mindlessly kill everyone. That doesn't mean I won't in AC3 though, an assassin is an assassin.

itsamea-mario
09-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Yeah i have actually started to dislike the idea killing more.

Even whilst playing AC, i try not to kill the rooftop guards too much, most of the time if they see me i'll just beat them up instead.
Though for some strange reason i have less tolerance for Ground guards, probably because it's easier to just kill them, because they'll just get back up otherwise.

Locopells
09-13-2012, 02:09 AM
Shaun Hastings, as ever, has the point perfectly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm793wxCxzg&feature=youtu.be

itsamea-mario
09-13-2012, 02:13 AM

"Taking a life is never easy"
R1 square. Easy.
...silly Rebecca.

Ork3n
09-13-2012, 02:15 AM

Hmmm... just WHAT? I'm not even sure if it's fan-made, cut-out scene or whatever.
Rebecca's place was never like :O

Now i feel like i'm getting crazy like Clay :o

Someone clarify me please!

Locopells
09-13-2012, 02:58 AM
It's two cutscenes from ACII, both optional.

Assassin_M
09-13-2012, 03:02 AM
"Hello, Im Connor"
"And ?"
"Dont do bad things"
"Who the F are you ?"
"Connor"
"**** you, Connor"

*STAB*

See ? You cant convince others... it just wont work..you kill them... you dont talk, you sissies

Calvarok
09-13-2012, 03:46 AM
Apply that logic to real life and see where it gets you, lol.

When confronting soldiers, who will attack anyone not in the right uniform because it's their standing orders to do so, you either take them out non-lethally, one by one, take them out all at once lethally and quickly, or sneak past them. I honestly prefer to roleplay as an assassin who will sneak if he can, non-lethal if he has to, and kill when he's exposed or in a hurry.

Assassin_M
09-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Apply that logic to real life and see where it gets you, lol.

I do :|

Im in Jail right now..

Aphex_Tim
09-13-2012, 05:56 AM

I can already see Connor going all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3upCQ4ED84o

E-Zekiel
09-13-2012, 05:59 AM
Most of you are completely missing the entire point of the original post, and clearly just play the game without really stepping into the antagonist's shoes. Nobody realistically wants to kill 50,000 people, even if it's to get to one key guy. Not to mention the fact that as the series has gone on, it's become easier and easier and easier to NOT kill guards.

in AC1 it was hard, and I didn't do it, because unarmed combat was horrible.

In AC2, it was still relatively hard, but with revamped unarmed combat, you could knock people out rather than killing them, easily. And this is mostly what I have been doing. I've knocked out a million and a half guards, sure, but my kill count for them is very, very low. It became even easier in Venice, where canals are all over the place, and you could simply grab a guard and throw them into the waterways.

In ACB, it became even easier, especially for stealth players such as myself, because you could do an instant knockout from behind on guards. And even if they turned around, if you punched them IMMEDIATELY before they entered combat, you would still do a knockout.

In AC:R it became easier still, with the hook blade counters, where you counter by grabbing your opponent and slamming them hard into the ground for another KO.

That you do not play your games this way does not mean people who do approach it as such are playing wrong.

Another thing to consider from a realistic perspective - the more people you kill - especially innocents - the more important it becomes for you to be taken out. Ever hear of the Barefoot Bandit? He was on the run from the law for a really long **** time before they finally caught him. The only reason they didn't catch him despite how long his crime spree was and how frequent his burglaries were?

They were all non-violent. Had he killed somebody, they would have had his *** in no time. But someone who isn't killing people won't attract the attention of really highly trained people to bring him in.

I mean, obviously there's the assassination targets, but if Ezio had killed 50 guards for every target, he and his cause would have been very much....lacking in moral support.

There's a lot of contradictions, but there's no reason to completely dismiss them and suggest people are stupid and be completely sarcastic in response.

Ork3n
09-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Guards work for the city, if a guard is working for a specific guy, they are not being loyal to the city, therefor, they should die. A corrupted guy is as bad as who corrupted him. I don't think i kill'd more then 200 guards in Ac2, and it had a big lifespam.

itsamea-mario
09-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Guards work for the city, if a guard is working for a specific guy, they are not being loyal to the city, therefor, they should die. A corrupted guy is as bad as who corrupted him. I don't think i kill'd more then 200 guards in Ac2, and it had a big lifespam.

Yeah, i was more likely to kill the Borgia or templar guards (the red ones) than say the Medici guards.

Although the Venetian city guard were owned by Emilio Babarigo, so they were pretty corrupt.

HisSpiritLives
09-13-2012, 02:25 PM
"Hello, Im Connor"
"And ?"
"Dont do bad things"
"Who the F are you ?"
"Connor"
"**** you, Connor"

*STAB*

See ? You cant convince others... it just wont work..you kill them... you dont talk, you sissies

Nice explanation