PDA

View Full Version : Today someone told me that Assasin's Creed didn't have a very good story

Turul.
09-12-2012, 01:46 AM
Was having an online conversation with someone, and they said that the story of Assassin's Creed wasn't very good, and that all the game was really good for was the game play.

Before that point it never really occurred to me that some people don't like the story of Assassin's Creed, and/or don't think it's very good.

That got me to really think, why don't they?

Slayer_WTF
09-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Dude, I was thinking the same thing. Turns too misinformation around this saga, and it makes me very upset. People do not understand what it really is AC, and how complex and intricate the story. They think that everything is a "go li> kill the enemy> back here."

Assassin_M
09-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Says Story isn't good = Doesn't understand it but too chicken to admit...Trust me I got it out of someone who said he didn't like the story..

rileypoole1234
09-12-2012, 02:16 AM
It usually comes from a person of lower intelligence.

Slayer_WTF
09-12-2012, 02:19 AM
It usually comes from a person of lower intelligence.

And most of the time, these people have completed only one episode.

r4inm4n1991
09-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Im buying it, mostly because of the Story part.

BATISTABUS
09-12-2012, 02:25 AM
ACII is considered by most non-fans to be the best game (or at least the one most of them have played), and it honestly had the most forgettable story of the series. If you don't care about what's going on in modern days (which was already sort of lacking already), and you're not really invested in the war between the factions, I can see somebody thinking this. I'd completely disagree, but I can see it.

Turul.
09-12-2012, 02:41 AM
So here is some of his reasoning

"Almost every game is dramatic. It's not complex, it's evasive: There's no complexity, they just don't tell you some things, and ask questions that they don't deliver answers to. It has a very mild sense of humour that doesn't really mesh well with the gameplay mechanics or the other side of the plot that takes itself too seriously. The characters aren't one-dimensional but they're not exactly deep either. Desmond's a ****ing idiot.
The stories are "delicately woven" together... it's not the ****ing Half Life universe, its Assassins Creed: they're slotted together like jigsaw puzzles. They keep in mind morality? What are you talking about, I ****ing slaughter 20 guards and the characters make occasionally pithy one-liners... it deals with morality how? Your actions don't have consequences.
The setting is brilliant. The story is absolute wankery ******** LOST-style faux-mystery facade. None of the characters are particularly compelling. Also: Aliens."

Splatterhausen
09-12-2012, 02:44 AM
Has any of these people actually beaten one of the games?

Assassin_M
09-12-2012, 02:44 AM
So here is some of his reasoning

"Almost every game is dramatic. It's not complex, it's evasive: There's no complexity, they just don't tell you some things, and ask questions that they don't deliver answers to. It has a very mild sense of humour that doesn't really mesh well with the gameplay mechanics or the other side of the plot that takes itself too seriously. The characters aren't one-dimensional but they're not exactly deep either. Desmond's a ****ing idiot.
The stories are "delicately woven" together... it's not the ****ing Half Life universe, its Assassins Creed: they're slotted together like jigsaw puzzles. They keep in mind morality? What are you talking about, I ****ing slaughter 20 guards and the characters make occasionally pithy one-liners... it deals with morality how? Your actions don't have consequences.
The setting is brilliant. The story is absolute wankery ******** LOST-style faux-mystery facade. None of the characters are particularly compelling. Also: Aliens."
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha......... Y-Yeah.

I sincerely hope your reaction was nothing more than Laughter.. because that is just weird xD

Turul.
09-12-2012, 02:48 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha......... Y-Yeah.

I sincerely hope your reaction was nothing more than Laughter.. because that is just weird xD

heres what i posted before him:

it's dramatic, complex, full of action, has a sense of humor, inventive. the characters aren't all one the dimensional, and have an arch. all of the stories are delicately woven together. and they even keep in mind relative morality. sure Desmond is a bit boring, and at times the storytelling isn't very good, but i just don't see what's not too like.

after his rant i pretty much just went on contradicted everything he said.
i was most dissapointed that he just made arguments without fully giving evidence.

and if he calls them aliens again i'm going to slap him

Assassin_M
09-12-2012, 02:50 AM
i pretty much just contradicted everything he said.
i was most dissapointed that he just made arguments without fully giving evidence.

and if he calls them aliens again i'm going to slap him
Everything he said is just contradictory to every feedback and fact given..

Slayer_WTF
09-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Also: Aliens."

True, if you get by saying "Wtf, aliens? Oh, ridiculous!". http://forum.everyeye.it/invision/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif

Turul.
09-12-2012, 02:53 AM
they aren't aliens!

they simply.....came before

Assassin_M
09-12-2012, 02:54 AM
they aren't aliens!

they simply.....came before
:eek:

zerocooll21
09-12-2012, 03:11 AM
The problem is you can't really convey the intricacy of the game in a way that it was pressented to you.

I LOVE the story. I literaly bought a PS3 for AC1 and never looked back :p

kudos17
09-12-2012, 03:26 AM
The story isn't for everyone. I've heard complaints that the narrative became too muddied with the introduction of Those Who Came Before, capitalizing on pseudo-sci-fi rather than grounded conspiracies based off of realistic companies and businesses. That's a legitimate complaint.

You could also argue that the story is one big revelation after another, connected by cliffhangers that were obviously and cheaply used to spark interest. (I'm looking at you, Brotherhood ending. Boy, what a gut-punch).

Basically, it boils down to whether or not you want to stomach what Assassin's Creed is throwing at you. I'm really not all that surprised some people jumped off the train when the aliens-but-not-really-aliens hopped into the plot. On the flip side, if you can accept this fiction and roll with the punches, then the series offers an intriguing tale with way more depth than meets the eye.

BATISTABUS
09-12-2012, 03:45 AM
I mean...some specific examples would help. If the game really was like that, yeah, the story would be pretty awful. The only specific example was "pithy one-liners"...which isn't really a standout problem.

"Your actions don't have consequences" is more of a problem with game-play than the story. There are consequences (notoriety increases and de-synchronization), but I might agree that they're not really severe enough.

AC does deal with morality, but that's not how I would describe it to someone. It's more about philosophy and purpose than anything else. That, and killing 20 people and being fine with it DOES actually say something about morality, even if it's negative.

Wishing the game didn't have the sci-fi and fantasy elements is understandable, but just stating "aliens" as if that's automatically stupid is pointless.

I'd be interested in reading a legitimate criticism, but this just sounds a dismissive, uninformed complaint.

SteelCity999
09-12-2012, 03:56 AM
I think possibly the biggest issue for people not liking the game is the lack of immediate gratification everyone desires. So many people want stuff immediately. They want answers. They don't want to think, what the hell did I just play or do and then do any bit of legwork to understand it. They want nice and easy fitting puzzle pieces meant for a two year old.

Frankly, this has got to be one of the most intellectually robust forums around and the ones who don't like the game get bored easily or are just not up to the challenge of a intricately crafted story that has some substance to it - got give the writers some props there.....

kudos17
09-12-2012, 04:43 AM
I think possibly the biggest issue for people not liking the game is the lack of immediate gratification everyone desires. So many people want stuff immediately. They want answers. They don't want to think, what the hell did I just play or do and then do any bit of legwork to understand it. They want nice and easy fitting puzzle pieces meant for a two year old.

Frankly, this has got to be one of the most intellectually robust forums around and the ones who don't like the game get bored easily or are just not up to the challenge of a intricately crafted story that has some substance to it - got give the writers some props there.....

With that, I think part of the problem is that everyone was geared up for an Assassin's Creed 3 years ago. When Brotherhood came out, we accepted it, wondering where things were heading. Then Revelations implied answers, but all it really did was finish off Altair's and Ezio's story and prepare Desmond's for the next big step.

The other part, which I think more relates to your point, is that some people don't want to have to connect the dots themselves. They want the games to do it for them. And for that, it really depends on the game in question. Some games need answers to the questions, because fans expect the story to finish itself off. Some elements need to be left open, to provide that lasting thought that keeps fans wondering. It's all about the balance; a good story has a good balance...

Turul.
09-12-2012, 04:48 AM
ME: you seem pretty upset. and as for morality, they understand the deep philosophical concepts between Assassin's and Templars. Though at times it seems very one sided, it recognizes that though their methods aren't exactly desirable, the Templars aren't pure evil.
the humor is a necessary element to ease the tension in the plot.
Desmond was designed around the intent that the player was to project themselves onto the character (a lot like half life.)
though the modern day charcaters aren't very deep, it's easy to forget you only spend about 10% of the time not in the animus.
It is definitely complex. there are subplots within subplots within subplots. there is the story of desmond himself and his past. there is the story of abstergo and their mysterious experiments and plans for the future. there is lucy and her betrayal. there is subject 16 who's existance is only "alive" within a computer. then there is altair and his story against al mulim. and ezio's as he begins a noble and learns his way to mentor, and finds his true purpose. and soon we will learn connor's place. then there is TWWCB who were a master race pitted against humanity. (they aren't aliens) then there is the plot of the destruction of the world. like come on, how is that not complex? I only hope that you are basing your opinion off of one game, because it doesn't really seem like you get the whole picture.

HIM:I'm not upset, I just don't like the story. It's not like I'm unique in this view: many other players and critics agree with me.
That's not complexity. Those were the plots of several different games. The individual plots are incredibly simplistic. You're acting as if this is all really deep and important stuff... it's not. It's the same tale of redemption found in pretty much every game: you even described it as such. Ezio begins as a noble who learns from a mentor and becomes a hero. It's a hero's journey. It's tired, cliche'd, boring and ****.
Red Dead Redemption had a brilliant story about betrayal and redemption, with deeply engaging characters, backstories and side plots. Assassin's Creed has a boring, contrived, shoehorned plot that absolutely lacks lustre. There's nothing appealing about it. The conflict isn't good... it's one group against another arbitrary group.
It's not complex at all, I don't even know how you can describe it as such. Complexity described a process of layers, a web of interconnected plot points that all factor in and contribute to the overall story. Assassin's Creed doesn't have that: It has a set of parallel stories that don't quite work together. Is it a period drama? Is it a modern-day thriller? Is it a sci-fi?
On top of that, the plot does really stupid things, like it skips forward in time with no explanation. It's actually one of the worst plots in modern videogaming... up there with Call of Duty and Gears of War.
Here's a question: Do you think Gears of War is complex and deep? There's the fight between the humans and locusts, but then there's also the fight between the locusts and the glowing-locusts, but then there's also a fourth conflict between the COGs and the other humans. There's Marcus' attempt to find his father, and Dom's search and following vengeance.
That's not complexity. Portal is complex. Grand Theft Auto IV is complex. Thirty Floors of Loving is ridiculously complex. In Assassin's Creed, the plot is spelled out for you because the developers don't want anyone to get lost so they make everything shallow and overt.
Basically everything you described doesn't make it a good plot, it just makes it a plot. All those things are aspects of the plot you'd expect to find in any ****ty off-the-shelf game. It's not a great story.
By the way, I've played the first and second, and also the one set in Rome.

ME:It's a scifi game that delves deep into history. And yes all of the plots are strung together. and yes there are layers. From top to bottom. TWWCB>End of the World>Assassin's Vs Templars> Desmond/Lucy > Altair/Ezio/Connor.
The plot skips forward in time to important parts of the story. If you pay attention everything is explained and has a reason for it.
And yes I find GoW complex and deep. It's a analysis of the Human race causing it's own problems and the struggle to fight against the consequences. Anyone can over simplify a story to make it sound like it isn't deep.
The conflict is very good. It's a symbolic representation of philosophical beliefs. The two factions aren't there just to fight, they are there for different ways for the world to exist, one though control, and one through freedom. They aren't arbitrary in any sense.
A hero's journey is a classic tale, that never really goes cliche in my opinion. And Ezio isn't really a hero at all. He's an anti-hero, and man who follows his own set off rules and can be seen often villainous at times.
And no the game is definitely not spelled out for you. There are so many mysterious and unanswered questions that aren't directly addressed. If you play the DLC of the Lost Archive you'll see some very good story telling.

I still don't understand what he's trying to say.

BBALive
09-12-2012, 04:49 AM
So what? I dislike the modern day storyline too.

All of you that are insulting him for having his own opinion should feel bad.

Assassin_M
09-12-2012, 04:53 AM
So what? I dislike the modern day storyline too.

All of you that are insulting him for having his own opinion should feel bad.
Weird.. I don't feel bad..

Turul.
09-12-2012, 04:58 AM
I'm not insulting him.

I just find what he is saying silly and confusing

BATISTABUS
09-12-2012, 05:49 AM
He got one thing right...he thinks Red Dead Redemption had a brilliant story. Goddammit, I love that game.

Also, the plot doesn't jump forward in time without explanation, so that's just wrong. Again, I feel like he just played AC2, which is why he doesn't fully understand the flow of the story.

I will admit, however, that Ezio's personal arc could've been stronger...except for Revelations and Embers. That stuff was top notch.

Madman6884
09-12-2012, 06:20 AM
He's using what I like to call "internet hipster logic", and it goes as such: "This thing is popular but I really don't care for it, but I must try to justify my dislike even if it means ignoring the facts".
Basically, from what I'm reading, he's comparing the clif-notes of the AC franchise to his own personal essays of games he likes. I could just as easily turn his logic around and state Portal's plot in a bare-bones way and make it seem just as simplistic.

The way I've always seen it, the AC franchise has presented its plot so that not everything is spelled out for you. Sure the plots for each game can be summarized simply, but this also begs the question: Who said that only complexity equates quality? A strait-forward plot does not a bad one make. Each game's story is relatively easy to state (but even then in that same light, I could reference the games he cited and summarize them in a similar fashion, and I don't think they'd be a longer read).
The AC franchise's complexity comes from the stuff that is NOT spelled out for you, it spans across multiple mediums and sources. It comes from getting into all The Truth content, the comics, the books, the side-games, the viral websites, etc.

A good game I can compare to when it comes to this, lets say 'Intellectual' way of presenting a plot/universe is Dark Souls. In that game you're given a vague opening cutscene and very little plot spoonfed to you. If you want to know and understand the plot, you have to study the environment, speak to every npc until they have nothing more to say and then checking back with them when you have accomplished more, reading every item's description, thinking about the context of where items and enemies are waiting for you, and even considering that npcs may be lying to you for their own ends. You have to put together the puzzle pieces on your own, and then what was a vague and unfulfilling plot becomes something amazing and gratifying to learn all about.

Now both ways of presenting a plot are just fine. Directly showing you everything is a pretty standard cinematic format because it works so well, and having a plot you have to really look into if you want a full understanding can be even more gratifying. The problem comes when the individual experiencing the plot is unwilling or too lazy to look more into it. A person like that can have a full appreciation of the more standard plot presentation, but will lose interest in the second. Assassin's Creed uses both, but the complexity comes from the latter.

GLHS
09-12-2012, 10:20 AM
This guy is trying way too hard to dismiss AC just b/c it's popular and he has a problem with it. Comparing it to CoD and GTA? Are you serious? The problem that comes from people not liking the story, as a whole, was stated brilliantly before. It's laziness and lack of intelligence. "I don't like how the games end in cliff hangers, and am too lazy to go look for clues within the games and other medias, so 'll just say it's lame and cliche." Seriously, when was the last time ANYBODY played one of these games and knew everything the first playthrough? All the clues, the hidden messages, the hints within dialogue and emails, and understood everything presented in The Truth puzzles. NOBODY. I guarantee you this guy only played them once and didn't understand them fully, and because of his laziness, didn't look for anything, nor play them again for something he may have missed. I'm a veteran player who has been playing since AC1 released, and have played them countless times over throughout the years. And I will fully admit that I'm STILL learning. Why? B/c that's what AC is. No matter how many times you play, there's always more to learn and discover. This guy just wants the games to do it for him. Sorry, but the devs are smarter than that.

Dude should go back to running over h00kers and cops in GTAIV and leave the real playing to the adults.

Legendz54
09-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Some people don't like being immersed in the world of AC. Fans like us usually need a super brain to understand the deep stories,codes and history. Then there is all the TWCB stuff, for some people its hard to understand, but once you do.. you love the game.

HisSpiritLives
09-12-2012, 10:44 AM
AC has best story mostly because it feels differnt and story theme is so inspiring and awesome ,but big part of todays bigest games have similar story and they all come around same conclusion. And like someone above said most of people who said AC has boring and bad story do not understand it and yeah they are STUPID

HisSpiritLives
09-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Some people don't like being immersed in the world of AC. Fans like us usually need a super brain to understand the deep stories,codes and history. Then there is all the TWCB stuff, for some people its hard to understand, but once you do.. you love the game.

Yeah we are soo smart :D

soory for double post

Ork3n
09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Stoped reading when i saw: GTA IV is complex.... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Just ignore ppl talking **** at assassin's creed. As altair writted on 18th page of the codex: The world is not ready to recieve us, they will treat us as mad people" or something arround that.

My best friend played thought the first sequence of Ac1 and then he quit. Why didn't he give the wole game a chance?

I also bet the guy that said Ac story didn't pay attention to all the details, Ac2 and AcB truh, desmond and the lost archive 1st person parts in acr, the dialogues in Ac1. A game that makes him thinking is not complex for him because he doesn't try to find the answer. As Al-Muhalim said: "You'll have the answers when you don't need to ask it" meaning you'll find the answer when you dig deeper in the game, you can't just wait for the answer.

tarrero
09-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Although, I disagree everyone is entitled to have their opinion....Hell that have I even heard sometimes of Metal Gear being a bad game :O But it is all a matter of what you like or not......

zerocooll21
09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
He's using what I like to call "internet hipster logic", and it goes as such: "This thing is popular but I really don't care for it, but I must try to justify my dislike even if it means ignoring the facts..

Haha! So sad but true.

Although I disagree everyone, is entitled to have their opinion.......

Not when its full of ignorance and stupidity.

xXConnorzzXx
09-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Those are the kinds of people who are either trolling, or they skip all the cutscenes and just awesome the story is bad...

POP1Fan
09-12-2012, 02:29 PM
When I heard that RDR story is brilliant I pretty much lost it xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

xXRyzonXx
09-12-2012, 02:30 PM
When I heard that RDR story is brilliant I pretty much lost it xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Whats wrong with RDR story?

NOLA_Assassin
09-12-2012, 02:44 PM
How can someone say a game that spans from the Third Crusade through the Italian Renaissance to the American Revolution even including the modern day is not complex?

anik_lc
09-12-2012, 02:58 PM
It doesn't have a very good story, it has a great phantabulous story leading to an EPIC conclusion on October 30th, 2012.

Turul.
09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
his claim was that they aren't really connected, but they are! beautifully! thanks to revelations

also, when i first finished AC2, my inital thought at the very end was..."wtf aliens? what the hell is this? this doesn't fit at all!"

kind of like how many ppl hated indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull...

but later i accepted it, and realized how it worked well within the plot,..and now it's one of my favorite parts of the series!

POP1Fan
09-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Whats wrong with RDR story?

It's not brilliant. And to give it as an example of how NOT to make a cliche story it's kinda dumb. Not that cliches aren't common, since in this day and age pretty much everything has been done. THEN he also said GTA IV, ****ing GTA IV, is complex. If you want to get nit-picky even Portal's story is not that complex, only that it raises some nice questions.

BBALive
09-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Not when its full of ignorance and stupidity.

Not when they insult my precious series*

FTFY.

And for the record, anybody that thinks you need to be 'super intelligent' to understand Assassin's Creed's story is clearly a moron. Try reading a god-**** book.

infamous_ezio
09-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Today was the day i finally used my hidden blade.

Let's face it, Desmonds story line is complex, you have to consider so many things, subject 16 for example, up until revelations we only knew of him as a crazy guy who went crazy, why was he so important though? lost archive pretty much explains it. But try explaining that to a person who doesn't really pay attention to the story, was actually talking to one of the guys at uni today about AC, he just finished revelations, he knew i was an AC fanatic and asked me wtf is going on, why wasn't there revelations, i told him that i didn't want to ruin TLA for him,but he insisted on me telling him, told him every fine detail up until now, he was completely shocked when i showed him the ACB truth video, and now in AC3 there introducing daniel cross, only the real hardcore fans know about him and that, to a new player or someone who doesn't really pay attention to the story, this is going to be a big WTF for them, (there will probs be some touch ups)

my point being, unless you pay attention to all the details, then you really can't appreciate the story line, the reason why i love AC because everything is so complex and cool..

BBALive
09-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Let's face it, Desmonds story line is complex

my point being, unless you pay attention to all the details, then you really can't appreciate the story line, the reason why i love AC because everything is so complex and cool..

You must have low standards.

infamous_ezio
09-12-2012, 04:10 PM
You must have low standards.

Low standards? how?

Referring to your last comment: "And for the record, anybody that thinks you need to be 'super intelligent' to understand Assassin's Creed's story is clearly a moron. Try reading a god-**** book."

I never said that, you don't have to be 'super intelligent', all i'm saying is that there is alot of information, and the reason why I love the story line, is because of this complexity, face it, when you passed AC2 you were like wtf is going on..and same with brother hood, now all this stuff with 16, TLA and especially the line from the ACB truth "your SON'. Care to give me a solid non-complex explanation for that?

When i say it's complex i don't mean omfg it's so hard to understand, i'm saying it's a one of a kind game that has gone way out of the norm and has made players question, and think about what is going on, all the stuff with the glyphs, all the puzzles and stuff.... You can't honestly sit there and try justify why it isn't a good story... it's not even cliche, like sure the end of the world but man, the way they are going about it is amazing...

Turul.
09-12-2012, 04:15 PM
the real complexity of the game comes from the relative morality of assassin's and templars, which to understand and analyze takes REAL critical thinking skills.

now if that isn't complex then idk what is.

BBALive
09-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Low standards? how?

Referring to your last comment: "And for the record, anybody that thinks you need to be 'super intelligent' to understand Assassin's Creed's story is clearly a moron. Try reading a god-**** book."

I never said that, you don't have to be 'super intelligent', all i'm saying is that there is alot of information, and the reason why I love the story line, is because of this complexity, face it, when you passed AC2 you were like wtf is going on..and same with brother hood, now all this stuff with 16, TLA and especially the line from the ACB truth "your SON'. Care to give me a solid non-complex explanation for that?

When i say it's complex i don't mean omfg it's so hard to understand, i'm saying it's a one of a kind game that has gone way out of the norm and has made players question, and think about what is going on, all the stuff with the glyphs, all the puzzles and stuff.... You can't honestly sit there and try justify why it isn't a good story... it's not even cliche, like sure the end of the world but man, the way they are going about it is amazing...

My second to last comment wasn't directed at you though, was it?

Also, leaving unanswered questions doesn't make a story 'complex'. Of course players were wondering what was going on at the end of AC2, because they didn't tell us what was going on. That isn't complexity.

Dark Souls' lore is more complex than Assassin's Creed's story.

BBALive
09-12-2012, 04:20 PM
the real complexity of the game comes from the relative morality of assassin's and templars, which to understand and analyze takes REAL critical thinking skills.

now if that isn't complex then idk what is.

Except that was removed after AC1, with the Templars becoming nothing more than generic 'bad guys'.

POP1Fan
09-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Not when they insult my precious series*

FTFY.

And for the record, anybody that thinks you need to be 'super intelligent' to understand Assassin's Creed's story is clearly a moron. Try reading a god-**** book.

I can read since I was 4. Reading doesn't make you more intelligent.

Turul.
09-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Except that was removed after AC1, with the Templars becoming nothing more than generic 'bad guys'.

true,

it's definitely more one sided, but it's still there... very subtle

infamous_ezio
09-12-2012, 04:48 PM
My second to last comment wasn't directed at you though, was it?

Also, leaving unanswered questions doesn't make a story 'complex'. Of course players were wondering what was going on at the end of AC2, because they didn't tell us what was going on. That isn't complexity.

Dark Souls' lore is more complex than Assassin's Creed's story.

Regardless, it was indirectly aimed at me, that's just there strategy to suck players in, those questions were answered...You can't just accept that for a moment the AC series has honestly made you think about what's going on, face it, if you were to explain everything and i mean EVERYTHING to a person, they would still be like... wth? AC goes deep, it completely takes history and manipulates it as if it actually happened.... 3 time periods, glyph, puzzles all about history and how the templars used manipulated people to there advantage, and now they are planning on making the templars look like the good guys in AC3... so sorry Mr.supergenius, but IMO, the story is pretty deep, it's what got my attention for sure

lothario-da-be
09-12-2012, 05:19 PM
If you don't like the ac story you aren't allowed to live on this planet.

BATISTABUS
09-12-2012, 05:39 PM
It's not brilliant. And to give it as an example of how NOT to make a cliche story it's kinda dumb. Not that cliches aren't common, since in this day and age pretty much everything has been done.
Did you actually play the game? The whole game? Or did you just watch the IGN review when they said it was filled with old Western movie cliches?

The characterization in that game is ABSOLUTELY brilliant. Significantly better than AC and probably any game I've ever played. I've never been so invested in a character before. The story is enticing, and I was always eager to know what would happen next. If you think the story of RDR is anything less than great (unless you just hate cowboys), particularly by video game standards, you need to do yourself a favor and give it another shot.

Also, you guys shouldn't be upset about that guy not thinking that AC is complex. Complex isn't inherently a good thing...just look at Kingdom Hearts; an awesome game with an interesting concept that became extremely muddled with "complexity" over time.

POP1Fan
09-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Did you actually play the game? The whole game? Or did you just watch the IGN review when they said it was filled with old Western movie cliches?

The characterization in that game is ABSOLUTELY brilliant. Significantly better than AC and probably any game I've ever played. I've never been so invested in a character before. The story is enticing, and I was always eager to know what would happen next. If you think the story of RDR is anything less than great (unless you just hate cowboys), particularly by video game standards, you need to do yourself a favor and give it another shot.

Also, you guys shouldn't be upset about that guy not thinking that AC is complex. Complex isn't inherently a good thing...just look at Kingdom Hearts; an awesome game with an interesting concept that became extremely muddled with "complexity" over time.

That's my opinion. And as you said, I never really like cowboys. They might be a thing in the USA, but I don't find them interesting at all. I will admit I couldn't finish the whole game and actually experience the whole story because I found the gameplay sucking very bad (again, my opinion), but read it somewhere and it was dull.

Assassin_M
09-12-2012, 05:54 PM
That's my opinion. And as you said, I never really like cowboys. They might be a thing in the USA, but I don't find them interesting at all. I will admit I couldn't finish the whole game and actually experience the whole story because I found the gameplay sucking very bad (again, my opinion), but read it somewhere and it was dull.
You are not allowed to form an Opinion around something you did not even experience to the end..
Finish the game then say it sucked, but right now ? No..

SteelCity999
09-12-2012, 06:04 PM

I can't remember the IGN article but I know it was one of many that made me pick up the game and give it a try. I can't say I agree it was a brilliant story however. It was full of western cliched characters that have been overdone by western cinema. The gameplay was solid though and made up for it.

You are not allowed to form an Opinion around something you did not even experience to the end..

Agreed...

AC is a different beast altogether.

POP1Fan
09-12-2012, 06:04 PM

How the hell do I get in so many off-topics lately? Anway... The story might be written by God herself, but I don't want to get a tumor from actually going through an un-satisfying gameplay.

Assassin_M
09-12-2012, 06:15 PM
How the hell do I get in so many off-topics lately? Anway... The story might be written by God herself, but I don't want to get a tumor from actually going through an un-satisfying gameplay.
Great.. You can form an Opinion on gameplay since you played..

Also, BBALive who seems thoroughly defending the Guy in the OP, That is not an Opinion, his opinion goes against facts which strongly suggests that he either did not finish the games or simply does not understand the plot. AC has a very complex structure, might not have a deep story, but it is definitely complex. I do not consider Cliff hangers complexity, with that I agree with you, but you must admit that to FULLY understand the AC story and explain it thoroughly to someone, you`d need to have a lot of brain space in order to take in all the details.

You have stated that you did not like the Modern day plot, fine, but that does not mean that it is in any way cheap or simple. As a matter of fact, the whole complexity lies in the Modern Day plot which completes the depth of the Historic Portion of the story. When you look at Assassins Creed`s 2 plot points, you`d have to think how they managed to tie those 2 together and have it make sense.

Assassins Creed has a very rich and complex story, that is a fact Unshaped by Opinions.. just the details given

lonewarrior30
09-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Slap him.

Ork3n
09-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Let's face it, Desmonds story line is complex, you have to consider so many things, subject 16 for example, up until revelations we only knew of him as a crazy guy who went crazy, why was he so important though? lost archive pretty much explains it. But try explaining that to a person who doesn't really pay attention to the story, was actually talking to one of the guys at uni today about AC, he just finished revelations, he knew i was an AC fanatic and asked me wtf is going on, why wasn't there revelations, i told him that i didn't want to ruin TLA for him,but he insisted on me telling him, told him every fine detail up until now, he was completely shocked when i showed him the ACB truth video, and now in AC3 there introducing daniel cross, only the real hardcore fans know about him and that, to a new player or someone who doesn't really pay attention to the story, this is going to be a big WTF for them, (there will probs be some touch ups)

So if i'm an hardcore fan i must have read the comics? Ok, ubisoft will FORCE me to do a thing i hate only to understand Ac3 to his maximum potential? Man, i was against the facebook game bcause it gave so much information about the game universe and i couldn't acess it cuz i don't like those ****ty games, i accepted the comics because they didn't seem to interfer in the mainplot and now they introduce daniel cross in the game? All the information i have about him is him being a sleeping agent, his ancestor was russian (orlev or something like that?) and that his ancestor had been in america. Oh and that he was an assassin before becoming a templar.

I was also against Ac for psp and the liberation for PSvita... I won't be buying a portable console OBIVOUSLY inferior to my pc and my ps3 only to play a single game. I consider my self an hardcore fan and i got very upset in revelations multiplayer when we got "introduced" daniel cross.

But someppl do not like AC because they can't understand that the story is far more complex then other games and that only all the trilogy complete (a trilogy made of 5 games xD) makes sense.

Assassin_M
09-12-2012, 06:31 PM
So if i'm an hardcore fan i must have read the comics? Ok, ubisoft will FORCE me to do a thing i hate only to understand Ac3 to his maximum potential? Man, i was against the facebook game bcause it gave so much information about the game universe and i couldn't acess it cuz i don't like those ****ty games, i accepted the comics because they didn't seem to interfer in the mainplot and now they introduce daniel cross in the game? All the information i have about him is him being a sleeping agent, his ancestor was russian (orlev or something like that?) and that his ancestor had been in america. Oh and that he was an assassin before becoming a templar.

I was also against Ac for psp and the liberation for PSvita... I won't be buying a portable console OBIVOUSLY inferior to my pc and my ps3 only to play a single game. I consider my self an hardcore fan and i got very upset in revelations multiplayer when we got "introduced" daniel cross.

Unless you know everything about the Universe of Assassins Creed, just know everything you don't have to play it all, then you are not a Hardcore AC fan..
You can consider yourself anything you want, your knowledge; however, is what will ultimately decide whether or not you are a hardcore fan..

SteelCity999
09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Assassins Creed has a very rich and complex story, that is a fact Unshaped by Opinions.. just the details given

I think we forget that the richness of a story goes beyond the main plotlines. The fact that the AC writers have taken actual historical events and weaved a plot through them is praiseworthy in and of itself. Alot of games have a story which is pulled from thin air and really doesn't take much of an intellectual to write it. AC's story does and it blurs the lines between reality and fiction in their storytelling.

Assassin_M
09-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I think we forget that the richness of a story goes beyond the main plotlines. The fact that the AC writers have taken actual historical events and weaved a plot through them is praiseworthy in and of itself. Alot of games have a story which is pulled from thin air and really doesn't take much of an intellectual to write it. AC's story does and it blurs the lines between reality and fiction in their storytelling.
Indeed..

I also would like to point something else out. I think BBALive corrected someone saying that we defend this because AC is our Precious series. I`d like to make it clear that AC is not my favorite franchise and my favorite game is not An Assassins Creed game..

pacmanate
09-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Even the devs realise this. Most people don't care about Desmond and see the modern day part a crap

Layytez
09-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Well ACR didn't have a good story....

Turul.
09-12-2012, 11:38 PM
it could have been, the modern day part at least.

but the creative director decided to leave nearly the entire lucy subplot out of the initial game. and there weren't really many real "revelations" it felt more like a detailed recap of what we already knew.

Gespenst1246
09-13-2012, 12:05 AM
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w431/Gespenst1246/ALIENS.png
yup yup

Ork3n
09-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Well ACR didn't have a good story....

I do like it. It could have been better but it wasn't bad at all... I found the suleiman's family quite interesting.... specially the conversation between ezio and ahmed.... And altair's mission... well, could have been better but it served its porpuse.

GeneralTrumbo
09-13-2012, 01:04 AM
true, if you get by saying "wtf, aliens? Oh, ridiculous!". http://forum.everyeye.it/invision/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif
they aren't aliens. They are just people who were the first civilization on earth, but were also smarter than regular humans.

GeneralTrumbo
09-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Even the devs realise this. Most people don't care about Desmond and see the modern day part a crap
That is why they are making true AC gameplay in the modern part this time. And there are people at Ubisoft that care deeply about the modern-day story and got what they wanted to do since the beginning with AC3.

GIONAScm2
09-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Not everyone loves the story of games that others do love. For example, I think that the GTA franchise has the best storytelling to it, but some people think its just the typical criminal rags to riches bs. Everyone sees games in different ways... Some people don't like history, and therefore wouldn't like the AC storylines.

Slayer_WTF
09-13-2012, 02:17 AM
they aren't aliens. They are just people who were the first civilization on earth, but were also smarter than regular humans.

Exactly.

imonthenet
09-13-2012, 01:06 PM
To each their own I suppose. I can see where everyone is coming from, and it all boils down to whether or not you're interested in the kinds of tales Assassin's Creed has to tell.

I'd compare it to a comedian who makes a certain kind of jokes. If you like those kind of jokes, then you'll like that comedian, however if you find those jokes distasteful or unoriginal or bland then your viewpoint of the comedian will likely be similar.

Personally I enjoy Assassin's Creed's story because of the shear amount of 'WTF' moments (i.e the end of every single AC game) I have experienced, some may see this as a weak exploit to ensure a returning customer for the sequel, and I can totally understand that. However I view them as the rises of the story that will only make the ending more gratifying. I guess what I'm trying to say that for someone who invests short time (e.g 2-3 games) will see no where near as much return as someone who has invested all the way through.

zerocooll21
09-13-2012, 01:22 PM

LOLOLOL Because reading a book = intelligence. You're laughable as are your "opinions" since you judging with out the full picture. How bout you get your facts straight, play THE ENTIRE SERIES, then come back and try to tell us it sucked.

Please see the quote below for I think this mainly pertains to you ;)

He's using what I like to call "internet hipster logic", and it goes as such: "This thing is popular but I really don't care for it, but I must try to justify my dislike even if it means ignoring the facts".
Basically, from what I'm reading, he's comparing the clif-notes of the AC franchise to his own personal essays of games he likes. I could just as easily turn his logic around and state Portal's plot in a bare-bones way and make it seem just as simplistic.

GLHS
09-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Not everyone loves the story of games that others do love. For example, I think that the GTA franchise has the best storytelling to it, but some people think its just the typical criminal rags to riches bs. Everyone sees games in different ways... Some people don't like history, and therefore wouldn't like the AC storylines.

This is not really true though. I've never liked history. It always bored me. The only history/time periods that I was ever interested in were ancient Egypt and WWII. But I am heavily interested in the time periods AC has presented to me, mostly b/c of how it's done. I can go there, live it, explore it, experience it. What do you get when you sit in a classroom or online and research it? You hear and read about it. Wow. Real exciting. But Renaissance Italy? I've lived it. The Crusades? Lived it. And American Revolution? Will soon own it.

As far as GTA, I still don't get it. Unless the story telling has gotten better since it's PS2 days, it's the same shell of a character, just in a different environment. After killing 10,000 cops, I got bored. Sorry. AC has so much more to offer than just the history, and has a lot of sci-fi, and moral questioning and reflecting within it's story. I've never seen a story that has so many weaves, twists, and subplots (not to mention, it's doing all this while staying as accurate to history as possible) as AC. GTA included. All of it's media, from the games, spinoffs, comics, books, websites, etc. are completely connected, without a lot of plotholes and inconsistencies, which many stories with much less detail (and, in a lot of cases, only one media type), are severely guilty of.

ToniTorsi
09-13-2012, 04:58 PM
AC has always had a captivating story line.

It's just the way it's executed. Some scenes don't get enough development as they should, the pace is ghastly, and emotional interaction between characters, at times, comes off as cheesy.

Also, in the way Ubisoft has separated bits of the story line into DLC money grabs, DLC DNA Sequences for quick cash....does not make the situation any better.

IT DOES HAVE a good story. But it leaves much to be desired.

Avelarenakili
09-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Dude- the story is like the only reason i buy the games. Every time Ubisoft comes out with a new game with swords in it i know that i have to play it. I also know that I probably shouldn't buy it because i will beet it approximately nine times, because i will love the gameplay and story so much. Sometimes it is slightly unrealistic the way you can tear apart sand monsters and slaughter 15 guards single handedly without them getting anxious and trying to cheap shot you, but that is usually why i love the game play so much. The epic story of the lone solder slicing and dicing his way to kill the evil and powerful menace to society. magical really. As for those who don't like it- they aren't really worth arguing with and are probably one of those people that will take a stance on something they don't know anything about and argue to the death about it anyway.

Alabama Love
09-18-2012, 06:33 PM
To be fair ACB and ACR really were lacking in the storytelling department.

zerocooll21
09-18-2012, 07:35 PM
To be fair ACB and ACR really were lacking in the storytelling department.

That is not fair since its based on lies!!!!

:p

Serrachio
09-18-2012, 08:07 PM
While they might not have been as extensive as AC2, ACB provided more than enough side content, and ACR suffered from a rushed development cycle.

Alabama Love
09-18-2012, 08:22 PM
That is not fair since its based on lies!!!!

:p

lol
but yeah, bad storytelling