PDA

View Full Version : Tarring?

xXRyzonXx
09-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Do you guys think there will be tarring in the Assassin's Creed 3, Seeing as it was something done during the period by both sides.

for those who do not know, Tarring was when a person was stripped of their clothes, covered in hot tar, and then in feathers. The feathers and tar would burn into the skin and remain for several days.
taring was used as a form of vigilante justice.

I personally don't see how it wouldn't be in the game, seeing as it did happen.

Escappa
09-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Maybe we can see people do it in the background when we're walking through towns, it would make the crowd and the gameworld feel more ''alive'' if they did stuff like that.
I don't think WE can do it to others however.

xXRyzonXx
09-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Maybe we can see people do it in the background when we're walking through towns, it would make the crowd and the gameworld feel more ''alive'' if they did stuff like that.
I don't think WE can do it to others however.

I highly doubt a man of justice like Connor would just watch idly by as someone is tortured like that, i would think he would attempt to stop it..

Escappa
09-11-2012, 08:10 PM
I highly doubt a man of justice like Connor would just watch idly by as someone is tortured like that, i would think he would attempt to stop it..

Prehaps. One and a half month left, then we'll know :)

AnthonyA85
09-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Since we're not getting scalping (which the Mohawks didn't practice, but a lot of other tribes did), then i highly doubt we'll see tarring. At most, we'll see whipping. (seen in the Frontier Demo, someone, a prisoner maybe, was getting whipped by redcoats in the Templar's fort)

rileypoole1234
09-11-2012, 08:42 PM
I remember reading about a specific scene in the game in which somebody gets tarred and feathered. I'm not sure exactly where I heard it though, I'll look for it.

LoyalACFan
09-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Since we're not getting scalping (which the Mohawks didn't practice, but a lot of other tribes did), then i highly doubt we'll see tarring. At most, we'll see whipping. (seen in the Frontier Demo, someone, a prisoner maybe, was getting whipped by redcoats in the Templar's fort)

The scalping was taken out because it was historically inaccurate. Besides, to me, scalping is far more disturbing than tarring. I mean, brutally ripping off the top of a man's head? Yikes.

LightRey
09-11-2012, 08:46 PM
How common was it? I mean, just because it happened doesn't mean it happened all the time.

xXRyzonXx
09-11-2012, 08:52 PM
How common was it? I mean, just because it happened doesn't mean it happened all the time.
It was common enough so that a person like Connor would probably see it sometime during his life.

xXRyzonXx
09-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I remember reading about a specific scene in the game in which somebody gets tarred and feathered. I'm not sure exactly where I heard it though, I'll look for it.

If you could find a link I would be very grateful.

LightRey
09-11-2012, 08:59 PM
It was common enough so that a person like Connor would probably see it sometime during his life.
Well I wouldn't mind seeing it. I think this is one of those things that they could probably put in there with relative ease (and it'd be interesting to see).

Btw, try not to post twice in a row. It's considered bumping, which is against the rules. You can edit your post instead and there's a multi-quote function. :P

BATISTABUS
09-11-2012, 09:01 PM
According to the "Innacuracies" section of the John Adams HBO mini-series Wikipedia page, tarring and feathering wasn't actually common in Revolutionary Boston. I'm not sure if that applies to New York and the Frontier. I'd assume that if it was actually common back then, we'd see it at least once in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams_(TV_miniseries)#Historical_inaccuracies

xXRyzonXx
09-11-2012, 09:29 PM
According to the "Innacuracies" section of the John Adams HBO mini-series Wikipedia page, tarring and feathering wasn't actually common in Revolutionary Boston. I'm not sure if that applies to New York and the Frontier. I'd assume that if it was actually common back then, we'd see it at least once in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams_(TV_miniseries)#Historical_inaccuracies

It did happen, also keep in mind wikipedia is a website where anyone can edit and write pages.
I'm not saying it was very common, but it did happen.

Sickull
09-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Might see it in a cut scene or something but it would be kind of funny if they let you do it yourself.

BATISTABUS
09-11-2012, 10:33 PM
It did happen, also keep in mind wikipedia is a website where anyone can edit and write pages.
I'm not saying it was very common, but it did happen.
It did happen, but that doesn't mean it's something everyone saw. People seem to think rebels went around tarring Redcoats constantly. It does seem like something Connor would've witnessed, but don't expect to see random tarrings while walking around the cities.

pacmanate
09-11-2012, 10:38 PM
I don't think so. That is too gory me thinks. Not to mention unnecceasry to include in the game.

xXRyzonXx
09-11-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't think so. That is too gory me thinks. Not to mention unnecceasry to include in the game.

Really, too gory, there is a scene in the trailer where Connor smashed as guys head into a rifle baionette and blows a guy's head open...

XyphoidProcess
09-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Really, too gory, there is a scene in the trailer where Connor smashed as guys head into a rifle baionette and blows a guy's head apart...

I'm pretty sure that was just a glitch.

xXRyzonXx
09-11-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that was just a glitch.

I didn't mean he literally blew his head open, i mean he pulled the trigger, which in reality, would blow his head open.

rileypoole1234
09-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I think what I'm remembering is this. It's not official buy Ubisoft at all, but anyway it mentions tar and feathering briefly under the Sons of Liberty section.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/07/10/the-history-behind-assassins-creed-iii-the-secret-societies/

So it's not confirmed, nor has it been stated by Ubisoft that tarring will be in the game, but it's definitely something I'd like to see.

XyphoidProcess
09-11-2012, 11:29 PM
I didn't mean he literally blew his head open, i mean he pulled the trigger, which in reality, would blow his head open.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I thought you were talking about the Boston demo where Conner pushes a guy's head against a rack of bayonets.

xXRyzonXx
09-11-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I thought you were talking about the Boston demo where Conner pushes a guy's head against a rack of bayonets.

Nono, I am referring to the very first trailer.

LoyalACFan
09-11-2012, 11:59 PM

I believe it was a pitchfork, not a bayonet. I think he's talking about in the reveal trailer, where Connor fights a bunch of redcoats at night and then goes and looks out over a cliff at Washington's army.

BATISTABUS
09-12-2012, 01:04 AM
I definitely don't think it's too violent. Have you played the first AC game?

Black_Widow9
09-12-2012, 07:13 AM
I thought you guys might want to read this. ;)
http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/spring06/tar.cfm

xXRyzonXx
09-12-2012, 02:29 PM
I thought you guys might want to read this. ;)
http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/spring06/tar.cfm

Very interesting indeed.

kriegerdesgottes
09-12-2012, 04:05 PM
It was something that was commonly used on loyalists at the time so I wouldn't be surprised if it as least makes an appearance.

deskp
09-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Cartoons have made tarring out to be soemthing kindof amusing and funny, but when i saw it in John adams it was suprisingly gruesome to me. I had never really thought of what it actualyw as before that.

It could certainly give some flavor to the world of ac3, but i certainly hope it's not soemthing they do too much of.

xXRyzonXx
09-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Cartoons have made tarring out to be soemthing kindof amusing and funny, but when i saw it in John adams it was suprisingly gruesome to me. I had never really thought of what it actualyw as before that.

It could certainly give some flavor to the world of ac3, but i certainly hope it's not soemthing they do too much of.

Yeah, it is a very gruesome act. If we do see it, i highly doubt we will see it more then once.

itsamea-mario
09-13-2012, 12:26 AM

It would give us something to balance out the seeming heroism of the patriots.