PDA

View Full Version : Animus effect on history

raytrek79
09-09-2012, 01:24 PM
The question is, does the use of the Animus effect and change history, or is it strictly reliving memories that have happened? The Doctor says that all inventions are because of Abstergo but goes on to say that they didn't invent it all but only rediscovered what was lost. Is this because they are tampering with the past to have inventions that were originally lost, established and recorded by historical account, or does he mean they are finding things now that had been lost? Does the Animus effect the past or only the present?
I'm sure it is the POEs that invent everything and a lot of it has been lost, just does the rediscoveries by the use of the Animus change the past so they are not lost or can they only rediscover it for use in the present, without changing the past? Because the premise is genetic memory, NOT time travel, so I presume they cannot change the past.

Slayer_WTF
09-09-2012, 01:41 PM
The question is, does the use of the Animus effect and change history, or is it strictly reliving memories that have happened?

Second.

pacmanate
09-09-2012, 01:45 PM
The question is, does the use of the Animus effect and change history, or is it strictly reliving memories that have happened?

No it does not change history, you are simply reliving it.

The Doctor says that all inventions are because of Abstergo but goes on to say that they didn't invent it all but only rediscovered what was lost. Is this because they are tampering with the past to have inventions that were originally lost, established and recorded by historical account, or does he mean they are finding things now that had been lost?

Doctor Who? They do rediscover what was lost but that is not to do with them tampering with history. You cannot tamper with history. The animus is not a time machine, it relives the memories of your ancestors.

Does the Animus effect the past or only the present?

The animus affects nothing. Seriously, if the animus was a time machine, which it is not, they could make sure Hitler didn't die or something terrible. If anything, the Animus shows us what REALLY happened in the past, in the game world obviously. This is why we get to see the "truth" about Benedict Arnold in the PS3 exclusive missions on AC3.

I'm sure it is the POEs that invent everything and a lot of it has been lost, just does the rediscoveries by the use of the Animus change the past so they are not lost or can they only rediscover it for use in the present, without changing the past? Because the premise is genetic memory, NOT time travel, so I presume they cannot change the past.

Wait so I just wrote this all for nothing? As you have said it is not time travel.... think of it as a video recorder. You are essentially playing back videos you have recorded, however you can't change them.

Get it? :D

POP1Fan
09-09-2012, 02:24 PM
You can't change the past, since the Animus is not a time machine.
I guess you started this thread after the tiny disscusion we had in the "obssesed" thread, didn't you?

HisSpiritLives
09-09-2012, 02:50 PM
You can't change the past, since the Animus is not a time machine.
I guess you started this thread after the tiny disscusion we had in the "obssesed" thread, didn't you?
Yeah,Animus is used for reliving the memories of users predecessors

LightRey
09-09-2012, 03:10 PM
The only "effect" the Animus has on history (in the game) is how it is perceived, what "really" happened etc. Interestingly, Desmond actually points out to Vidic after he claims that with the Animus there is no room for misinterpretation, that "There's always room", which is an interesting point.

Calvarok
09-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Well the misinterpretation could come from the ancestor having an incomlete view of the big picture, or seeing peoples actions in the past without understanding their motivations, or just seeing the same events differently than another person would. (personally I would not be OK at all with the way the Assassins do things, playing through AC2 I had a moment where I realized "Hey, I'm doing really really grey stuff here")

raytrek79
09-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Well that discussion in the obsessed thread was about if Desmond controls his ancestors. Basically he does not actually control the real them but representations of them, he isn't actually in the past he is in a virtual world created by genetic memory. So yes, I am pretty sure on what I think the whole principle is behind the Animus, I just wanted to clarify it for others, and iron out a few issues I didn't understand or was not certain about.
The Doctor Vidic is who I was talking about in the first AC, he says something that gives Desmond the impression that Abstergo is responsible for all inventions throughout history, then he says they didn't invent it but only rediscovered it. The confusion about this conversation is that it suggests that technology had been lost but Abstergo had some how made it unlost, that history had retained it where previously it was lost, and use of the Animus had made it so that history did record it. But that suggestion does not make sense as the Animus cannot change history.
So the question is: What does Vidic mean by Abstergo is responsible for all inventions and technology and what does he mean by rediscovering what was once lost? The way he says it in the game suggests that Abstergo had altered history.

WolfTemplar94
09-10-2012, 11:14 AM
I think that what happens in the Animus isn't actually EXACTLY what happened in the past. I think Desmond is controlling his ancestors, but not changing what actually happened. That's what things like the 100% sync suggests.

Also, I think it's possible that things can be seen wrong in the animus. If you think about it, humans are pretty prone to "Retconning" our own personal history.

raytrek79
09-10-2012, 11:23 AM
The conversation I was talking about between Vidic and Desmond was block 4, but now that I look back at it, it makes more sense as he also says Abstergos predecesors http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOJt6Ob8UcE
Perhaps I kinda retconned my own personal memory on this one.