PDA

View Full Version : my friends hate me now.

georgegwapo13
09-08-2012, 02:16 PM
i bought il-2 last week and my friends are teasing me because i can't do full manual controls in any aircraft.
well its really hard for me because i get tense when they gang up on me while thinking of a lot of controls like the radiator engine and stuff and so i diverted to easy controls and now they hate me. anyway its a fun game.

saipan1972
09-08-2012, 11:52 PM
youll get used to it if u practice, u should join a sqd that has people to help and give advice on tactics.

stormin06
09-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Unless your a pilot and can fly a real aircraft..just play the game and enjoy it.

PhantomKira
10-01-2012, 07:51 PM
^^ This. And believe me, be glad you're not a real pilot when you're enjoying it. There are plenty of things a sim does not do that a real airplane does, and you'd find yourself wishing you were back in the real thing. Trust me. I know.

Oh, and about these friends of yours. If they aren't supportive of you, perhaps it's time to find some new friends. There are plenty of friendly squads out there, you just have to do some looking and research. Doesn't sound from your post like they're being all that helpful. On the other hand, it is annoying to have one guy floundering while the rest of the group has it down pat. Study sessions are a good idea. Try finding one or two guys (who know what they're doing and know how to be patient) to help get you up to speed in sessions with just the three of you so as not to tempt the "vultures" into going after an easy target. The squad I used to fly with had a rule that if you had you're lights on, that meant you were not actively searching for a target and were not fair game. I, however, thought the rule was abused way too much, as most guys turned their lights on prior to landing, and during takeoff... prime times to target low energy defenseless airplanes. To each their own.

Good luck.

Turbomouse
10-16-2012, 07:41 AM
The feedback above is all pretty much spot on.

I'll take an opportunity tho to state that I personally think 1C tend to go a tad overboard with realism in these sims at the expense of AUTENTICITY. Id personally prefer some freeing of resources thanks to simplified and automated functions in many systems that altho nifty and impressive are a pain to be more or less FORCED to deal with. I'm an aircraft maintenance engineer myself so not only understand what these systems do but also HOW they work - but I find it tiresome to have to mess with a lot of it in a sim. Better the resources be directed at improved AI or nice dynamic SP campaign stuff than providing me with painfully accurate radiator adjustment controls even down to physically accurate matching of the 3d model to my manual control setting...

When soldiering - cleaning weapons and ammo, loading mags, adjusting webbing and boots from time to time, digging NP's and such - and even crapping and peeing - including picking the right (and safe) spot and marking dumps properly etc. are part of the business - but Bohemia Interactive for some reason don't feel it necessary to subject us as players to having to do that sort of stuff in ARMA2 - probably because it would detract from the overall Soldier Sim experience....

Don't get me wrong, I respect what 1C have done and enjoy their work immensely as far as it goes, but as far as enjoying these things as WW2 FLIGHT COMBAT SIMS - when you fire up a flightsim you take on the PERSONA of a pilot in the scenario the game represents and it's reasonable to assume the pilot you play does indeed understand the systems and can competently "take care of the office" - leaving you to be the fighting brains of that persona. In that respect fidelity of Flight Models, weaponry and AI behaviour is all tantamount so using up resources in providing mind numbing complexity of manual systems control for the player to mess with is humbuggery IMO.

Bearcat99
10-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Fly how you like.. It will evolve over time.