PDA

View Full Version : AC3, Climbing & Traversing Buildings?

Soulid_Snake
09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Hey, guys, I was wondering if there will be alot of buildings that can be climbed and traversed, like the previous AC'S? Because I don't know if it's just me, but this AC looks like your gonna be running on the ground alot of the time and running along trees, because it's set in the USA.

If it is the case, will you guys miss building hopping? I know, I will :(

tarrero
09-07-2012, 03:00 PM
It kinda have that concern, the streets seems to be wider than before, but we will have to wait

itsamea-mario
09-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Yes, there's Boston and New York, both have plenty of buildings to climb. Then there will probably be a few building in The Frontier. Not only buildings though, Connor can climb rocks, so that opens up whole new climbing options.

Locopells
09-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Everything will be climbable as always. This was my primary concern when I heard about the setting, but it's fine. They've even put trees and other stuff in the middle of the wide streets (where there weren't any historically) so as to allow Connor to cross them without touching the ground.

Ielgon
09-07-2012, 03:32 PM
They've just added more climbing options by adding the trees and rock climbing. We will be able to climb all of the buildings and jump between them somehow, just like we used to (just look in some of the gameplay we've seen so far, you can see Connor climbing up buildings on various occasions). And just like Locopells said, because the streets are wider they've added some trees and other things like for instance in the boston gameplay where Connor jumps on a market stall and then a lamppost (?) to get to the other side (so we can go building > tree/other objects > building for the wider streets).

LoyalACFan
09-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Everything will be climbable as always. This was my primary concern when I heard about the setting, but it's fine. They've even put trees and other stuff in the middle of the wide streets (where there weren't any historically) so as to allow Connor to cross them without touching the ground.

Yeah, if you look at the beginning of the Boston demo, you can see that he uses all kinds of stuff to cross the street without falling to the ground.

BBALive
09-07-2012, 04:38 PM
There's still two cities in the game. Of course there's going to be plenty of buildings to climb.

HisSpiritLives
09-07-2012, 04:45 PM
But if huge patrols are chasing you you must climb buildings to lost them

SteelCity999
09-07-2012, 04:56 PM
One thing that appears vastly different (they haven't said anything or shown anything to the contrary) is that the roofs will be a sort of safe haven. So far no guards on the roofs. Probably won't be any hiding places either like in previous AC, but unless they have watchtowers placed, I think it will make for a very different feeling game.

HisSpiritLives
09-07-2012, 07:08 PM
One thing that appears vastly different (they haven't said anything or shown anything to the contrary) is that the roofs will be a sort of safe haven. So far no guards on the roofs. Probably won't be any hiding places either like in previous AC, but unless they have watchtowers placed, I think it will make for a very different feeling game.

I didnt thinik of that before,maybe gurds will climb when chaseing you but i dont think they are going to put much guards on roofs like in pervious ACs ,maybe only on some special places

rileypoole1234
09-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Yes, there's Boston and New York, both have plenty of buildings to climb. Then there will probably be a few building in The Frontier. Not only buildings though, Connor can climb rocks, so that opens up whole new climbing options.

This

*sighs*

LoyalACFan
09-07-2012, 08:33 PM

It would be silly from a historical perspective, but I can't help but think they'll still have some rooftop guards positioned around strategic areas. Otherwise, you could just climb up on anything and be home free.

Ielgon
09-07-2012, 09:29 PM

Towards the end of inside Assassin's Creed 3 Episode 2 we can see Connor killing a guard on a rooftop, he was in a different uniform than what we've seen so far though so maybe he was from some kind of special unit and not on the roofs outside of a certain mission.

SteelCity999
09-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Towards the end of inside Assassin's Creed 3 Episode 2 we can see Connor killing a guard on a rooftop, he was in a different uniform than what we've seen so far though so maybe he was from some kind of special unit and not on the roofs outside of a certain mission.

I was referring to mostly in the cities, which I didn't make very clear, but yeah I would expect there to be rooftop or tower guards in military controlled areas and such like you mentioned. It seems like they are encouraging you to play on the streets in the cities though because of alot of the new hiding places and being able to use the trees. Obviously outside of the cities anything goes.I think it will be interesting and a nice change I think.

pacmanate
09-07-2012, 10:37 PM
I didnt thinik of that before,maybe gurds will climb when chaseing you but i dont think they are going to put much guards on roofs like in pervious ACs ,maybe only on some special places

There will hardly be any, they said they didn't have rooftop guards in this game as they didn't do it in that time period. That said, certain missions or areas might have rooftop guards if it is under heavy restriction. As for the climbing buildings, we see Connor doing it at the end of episode 2. I

Climbing buildings is IN the game but remember that Ubisoft wants to show what is new.
Rock Climbing
Two handed combat
3D terrain
Weather System
Naval
Climbing Trees
ETC

Like I said, they want to showcase what is new.

BATISTABUS
09-07-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm more curious about enemies being able to climb. I understand they don't want you to just be able to run on a roof and instantly escape, but they should definitely have a much harder time getting up there.

That, or they could just make it so the enemies don't forget about you after 20 seconds. Make them not able to climb, but instead call in 10 of their buddies to surround the building.

De Filosoof
09-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm more curious about enemies being able to climb. I understand they don't want you to just be able to run on a roof and instantly escape, but they should definitely have a much harder time getting up there.

That, or they could just make it so the enemies don't forget about you after 20 seconds. Make them not able to climb, but instead call in 10 of their buddies to surround the building.

I think they should add jetpacks for enemy soldiers, that would make the game a lot harder! They've already added "alien technology combined with a genetic hidden sixth-sense bordering on magic" stuff, so...

BBALive
09-07-2012, 11:09 PM

He was a Jager/Jaegar

Connor's Colonial Assassin outfit is based on the unit's uniform

deskp
09-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Boston, New york, Lexington, Concord. Buildings for everyone. there wont be rooftop guards, but they could be on verandas and balconies and such.

There is also the rather dense town in the background here, no idea what place that is:
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ACIII_Frontier_Iconic_SCREENSHOT.jpg

FourDea123
09-07-2012, 11:40 PM
they said that there will be native soldiers on British side so i imagine that they will chase after Connor also i think we have seen them there the soldiers in the blue uniforms that aren't patriots that you can see sprinkled in the inside assassins creed 1 vid

BATISTABUS
09-08-2012, 12:13 AM
they said that there will be native soldiers on British side so i imagine that they will chase after Connor
I hadn't thought about that. They should definitely be able to climb, but that's all apart of having different archetypes in the game and knowing how to deal with them.

NOLA_Assassin
09-08-2012, 03:42 AM
i think they should add jetpacks for enemy soldiers, that would make the game a lot harder! They've already added "alien technology combined with a genetic hidden sixth-sense bordering on magic" stuff, so...

they're not aliens.

morpheusPrime08
09-08-2012, 03:54 AM
Sorry guys but Parkour trees> buildings any day, anywhere, anytime.

Sarari
09-08-2012, 04:48 AM
Does he still climb like ezio? Or does he have that quick spider walk?

Assassin_M
09-08-2012, 05:47 AM
Does he still climb like ezio? Or does he have that quick spider walk?
That Spider-walk.

HisSpiritLives
09-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I hadn't thought about that. They should definitely be able to climb, but that's all apart of having different archetypes in the game and knowing how to deal with them.

True.

Soulid_Snake
09-09-2012, 03:42 AM
The free running across building's is AC's bread and butter, it's really, it's unique selling point.

pacmanate
09-09-2012, 08:56 AM
The free running across building's is AC's bread and butter, it's really, it's unique selling point.

True, that and climbing any building, but I think they have just revolutionised it by doing free running on trees and non geometric shapes. Think of it like in AC1 it was new, so they showcased it loads because climbing buildings was a big feature. They don't need to show it in sequels because everyone knows it is in. They add something new like tree running and they will showcase that more cause it is new, just like how it was in AC1 days :D

POP1Fan
09-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Dat Spider-walk.

Fixed :D

Soulid_Snake
09-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Found an interesting article, which has cleared things up:

"Trees are the new buildings. "Our goal with the assassin was to make him as capable in the wilderness as Ezio and Altair were in cities, to do this for a forest," Hutchinson said. "For us, trees are 3D navigable space. You'll be able to go up trees, along that branch level, moving around. Some of the early fantasies we were talking about—it's fun to reference movies to get the team to paint a picture in their mind-if you think of the Predator, the original movie, not being [Arnold Schwarzenegger's soldier character] but being the Predator and the Redcoats being Arnie and [his] guys. This unseen force picking them off one-by-one from the trees? This is what we wanted. We want you to be a terrifying force of nature in that spot.""

"The cities won't feel like the cities of prior AC games. "Instead of stone structures, we have wood structures. Instead of flat roofs, we have sloped roofs, instead of tight, winding, narrow streets, we have big avenues. All these things change the feeling of the game."

Source: http://kotaku.com/5896386/50-things-about-assassins-creed-iii-that-you-should-know

BBALive
09-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Found an interesting article, which has cleared things up:

"Trees are the new buildings. "Our goal with the assassin was to make him as capable in the wilderness as Ezio and Altair were in cities, to do this for a forest," Hutchinson said. "For us, trees are 3D navigable space. You'll be able to go up trees, along that branch level, moving around. Some of the early fantasies we were talking about—it's fun to reference movies to get the team to paint a picture in their mind-if you think of the Predator, the original movie, not being [Arnold Schwarzenegger's soldier character] but being the Predator and the Redcoats being Arnie and [his] guys. This unseen force picking them off one-by-one from the trees? This is what we wanted. We want you to be a terrifying force of nature in that spot.""

"The cities won't feel like the cities of prior AC games. "Instead of stone structures, we have wood structures. Instead of flat roofs, we have sloped roofs, instead of tight, winding, narrow streets, we have big avenues. All these things change the feeling of the game."

Source: http://kotaku.com/5896386/50-things-about-assassins-creed-iii-that-you-should-know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rfRf8FZDYRg

Just watch that.

Sushiglutton
09-16-2012, 10:07 PM

Couldn't agree more. It's something they have done right from AC1 and no other franchise has really caught up. And now they are taking a huge leap forward with much more complicated geometry.

Soulid_Snake
09-16-2012, 10:09 PM
@BBALive: You are the Man or Woman! Thank you so much! :cool:

NOLA_Assassin
09-17-2012, 03:18 AM
I wonder if Boston and New York will differ from each other.

pacmanate
09-17-2012, 02:11 PM
I wonder if Boston and New York will differ from each other.

In what sense?

tarrero
09-17-2012, 02:55 PM
In what sense?

I suppose he meant in the same way "Florence and venice" differ from each other. You know the style of the buildings and and the color scheme. Venice in general was "blue" and Florence "ocher".

This time is a mystery because there are almost no buildings left on New York from those times.

RzaRecta357
09-17-2012, 04:05 PM
SHould be awesome. They've added trees and I even seen Aveline use a rope to swing across a building spiderman style. If it's in the vita game I'm sure it's there for Conner also.

BBALive
09-17-2012, 04:28 PM
This time is a mystery because there are almost no buildings left on New York from those times.

The Great Fire of New York only affected a small part of the city

itsamea-mario
09-17-2012, 04:40 PM

That may be, but there still aren't many of the original buildings left.

Ielgon
09-17-2012, 05:11 PM
SHould be awesome. They've added trees and I even seen Aveline use a rope to swing across a building spiderman style. If it's in the vita game I'm sure it's there for Conner also.

That was her whip. Connor doesn't have a whip so I doubt it will happen. I've also read in an interview a while ago that they thought about giving Connor the ability to ascend/descend and swing from buildings using the rope dart but they didn't do that because it felt too fantastical, in the end they only took the descending concept in the form of jumping out of trees with it while pulling up a guard to act as a counter weight.

tarrero
09-17-2012, 05:13 PM

Yeah!!! I am aware of that. However if you compare NY with Venice and Florence (even Boston) in terms of how many buildings of its respective AC settings are left, you may find there are may be up to a dozen, or even less standing.