PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 1 is a true classic

DiamondBlade_R
09-06-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm writing this post to see if I any of you share my opinion about this. If you've been following my posts on here over the years, you know I have a very special place in my heart for AC1. It is my all-time favorite installment of the series, and I really feel it doesn't get the credit and recognition it deserves - niether among gamers nor within the gaming media, or, more specifically, among game reviewers. It was revolutionary for its time and helped define current-gen gaming in terms of scope and scale - no less so than Shadow of the Colossus did with the PS2 era. It was revolutionary because it was truly something we'd never seen before up until the point when it came out - from its setting through its mission structure (how you had to gather information about your target before you could engage it - sure, it was implemented in a somewhat repetitive way, but it was still pretty innovative and was something that had never quite been done before) to, of course, the social stealth mechanics, which truly changed the way we see open-world games today. I've just gone back to it a few days ago, and even if you didn't like the repetitiveness of the investigations, I really feel there's a sense of accomplishment you get from doing them before engaging your target and assassinating it, that you just don't get in the later installments of the series. The sequels took everything that was unique about the first game and turned the series into just another stealth-action game, with nothing special to show for it.

And I just cannot stress enough how much better and more immersive the atmosphere of AC1 was in comparison to the later games in the series. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but there was something about it that felt so... special. It was darker than the later games. Colder, if you will. From the soundtrack to the overall look of the environment. Especially Acre. Simply walking around in Acre, climbing buildings and whatnot, just causes you to be immersed in the game's world in a way you just don't get from Italy or Constantinople. And before you say, "well, the reason why AC1's world was darker and more grim than in later games was because it was set in a 'darker' time period", keep in mind that the immersive atmosphere I'm talking about in AC1 also applies to the present day segments of that game. Plus, even the Altair missions in ACR don't have that same atmosphere AC1 had, even though they are supposedly set in the exact same setting and time period (give or take a few decades, it's still the same "age", the Middle Ages) You just don't get that same sense of immersion from the later games of the series.

So, am I alone in this? Because I constantly hear people praising the "leap the franchise made from AC1 to AC2" etc., and very seldom do I see people point out the fact that although the franchise may have made a leap between those two games in terms of gameplay, it abandoned, along the way, the atmosphere and overall feeling that made the series so special and highly anticipated (think back to 2006) in the first place.

Slayer_WTF
09-06-2012, 04:21 PM
I feel more or less like you. The first episode was very different from other, but I do not know .. say that I'm not complaining.

The fact remains that the first one is my favorite.

ProletariatPleb
09-06-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm writing this post to see if I any of you share my opinion about this. If you've been following my posts on here over the years, you know I have a very special place in my heart for AC1. It is my all-time favorite installment of the series, and I really feel it doesn't get the credit and recognition it deserves - niether among gamers nor within the gaming media, or, more specifically, among game reviewers. It was revolutionary for its time and helped define current-gen gaming in terms of scope and scale - no less so than Shadow of the Colossus did with the PS2 era. It was revolutionary because it was truly something we'd never seen before up until the point when it came out - from its setting through its mission structure (how you had to gather information about your target before you could engage it - sure, it was implemented in a somewhat repetitive way, but it was still pretty innovative and was something that had never quite been done before) to, of course, the social stealth mechanics, which truly changed the way we see open-world games today. I've just gone back to it a few days ago, and even if you didn't like the repetitiveness of the investigations, I really feel there's a sense of accomplishment you get from doing them before engaging your target and assassinating it, that you just don't get in the later installments of the series. The sequels took everything that was unique about the first game and turned the series into just another stealth-action game, with nothing special to show for it.

And I just cannot stress enough how much better and more immersive the atmosphere of AC1 was in comparison to the later games in the series. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but there was something about it that felt so... special. It was darker than the later games. Colder, if you will. From the soundtrack to the overall look of the environment. Especially Acre. Simply walking around in Acre, climbing buildings and whatnot, just causes you to be immersed in the game's world in a way you just don't get from Italy or Constantinople. And before you say, "well, the reason why AC1's world was darker and more grim than in later games was because it was set in a 'darker' time period", keep in mind that the immersive atmosphere I'm talking about in AC1 also applies to the present day segments of that game. Plus, even the Altair missions in ACR don't have that same atmosphere AC1 had, even though they are supposedly set in the exact same setting and time period (give or take a few decades, it's still the same "age", the Middle Ages) You just don't get that same sense of immersion from the later games of the series.

So, am I alone in this? Because I constantly hear people praising the "leap the franchise made from AC1 to AC2" etc., and very seldom do I see people point out the fact that although the franchise may have made a leap between those two games in terms of gameplay, it abandoned, along the way, the atmosphere and overall feeling that made the series so special and highly anticipated (think back to 2006) in the first place.

You are not alone in his my friend, count me with you.

AC1 is close to my heart as well, it was where my love for AC truly took hold, the grey world, the atmosphere, the time period itself, the dialogues faaaar superior.

LoyalACFan
09-06-2012, 04:24 PM
AC1 was better in concept than it was in execution. The story was predictable, the missions were extremely repetitive, and I thought Altair's supposed "coldness" grew tiresome after a while. He's supposed to be a member of a sect that promotes freedom for humanity, but he's completely, 100% just following orders. He's essentially just a glorified hitman for Al Mualim. It's still probably the best of the series for just running around and exploring (since there were so many little oddities to be found, like the pit in the Kingdom) but I'm still firm in my belief that AC2 is FAR better than AC1 in almost every other way, from the character to the story to the soundtrack.

LightRey
09-06-2012, 04:38 PM
It was an extraordinary game for its time, but I must say it was not AC1, but AC2 that made me a fan of the series. AC1 was a good game, especially if you look at its story, but it was too rough around the edges.

Sabastian_AC
09-06-2012, 05:07 PM
AC1 was better in concept than it was in execution. The story was predictable, the missions were extremely repetitive, and I thought Altair's supposed "coldness" grew tiresome after a while. He's supposed to be a member of a sect that promotes freedom for humanity, but he's completely, 100% just following orders. He's essentially just a glorified hitman for Al Mualim. It's still probably the best of the series for just running around and exploring (since there were so many little oddities to be found, like the pit in the Kingdom) but I'm still firm in my belief that AC2 is FAR better than AC1 in almost every other way, from the character to the story to the soundtrack.

Pretty much this. I only played through AC1 once, and that was after getting hooked on the series with ACII. ACI was a great showcase of what an AC game could be, but ACII was the final realization of all that potential.

Stroonzje
09-06-2012, 05:25 PM
i loved assassins creed becuase it was different it was a game that couldnt be compared to anything else.. its a game of its own... beautiful (:

kriegerdesgottes
09-06-2012, 05:25 PM
I totally agree. I actually just replayed it recently and I actually really enjoyed it. I played it almost daily up until the point that ACII came out just because of how spectacular is was. I was really surprised that it got such negative reviews from so many people and it really surprises me when people come on here and say that AC1 was terrible which is not true at all. It wasn't perfect obviously but it was revolutionary for the time and ended up being the fastest selling new IP for the time.

ACfan443
09-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Completely agree with you, AC1 is my favourite, it had such an amazing atmosphere(achieved by the awesome dark, eerie, ominous music).

LadyGahan2010
09-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Yes, classic, nice and very good game for those times. Yet, I'm not brooding over it, and never did and never will, because it was so repetitive, combat-wise as well (aside last pre-boss fight which was somewhat challenging if compared to the rest of the game). Story-wise awesome, hence my interest in AC2 and subsequent.

playassassins1
09-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Yes, classic, nice and very good game for those times. Yet, I'm not brooding over it, and never did and never will, because it was so repetitive, combat-wise as well (aside last pre-boss fight which was somewhat challenging if compared to the rest of the game). Story-wise awesome, hence my interest in AC2 and subsequent.

Pre-boss fight? Robert de sable? That was easy, you could just grab him and throw him on the ground, then assassinate him, of course, it was an easy way. But you could always just go the hard way, and fight like you should,lol

DiamondBlade_R
09-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Pre-boss fight? Robert de sable? That was easy, you could just grab him and throw him on the ground, then assassinate him, of course, it was an easy way. But you could always just go the hard way, and fight like you should,lol
I think he meant the battle in Arsuf.

BBALive
09-06-2012, 06:29 PM
I feel that AC1 had a better story, and was more challenging than any other game in the series. The ambiguity really appealed to me, and the post-assassination speeches were interesting and well-written.

However, I can't help but dislike the repetitive mission structure. While it didn't ruin the game for me, I still felt that it dampened the whole experience. Like many others, AC2 is my favourite game in the series, simply because I believe it has the best gameplay in the series. I believe the story is a lot worse than AC1's, and the moral ambiguity was removed, but I feel the gameplay makes up for it.

AC1 might take second place though.

AdrianJacek
09-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Well, obviously every AC game has a completly different atmosphere. And again - obviously one will always will be favored by some people.

DiamondBlade_R
09-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Well, obviously every AC game has a completly different atmosphere. And again - obviously one will always will be favored by some people.
ACB and ACR's atmosphere was not all that different from AC2's, maybe just a little.

POP1Fan
09-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I haven't noticed the repetition in AC1 only when I started doing all the view-points. But during the missions it wasn't like that. Maybe because I played it AFTER I heard that it is repetitive and chose as much of a diversity as possible during the side missions (which, from what I know it's possible to a greater degree on the PC version that I own). The assassinations themselves where pretty different, the fight in Arsuf was also different. All in all, I don't think it is as repetitve as people say. It isn't the same mission everytime for 9 times, as some exagerate.

AC1 is classic, I will give you that, but it isn't truly the best game. It started a forumla, it was revolutionary for when it came out, but AC2 perfected it in every way imo. Then the horrible ACB came out but luckly ACR came out too, to take away the sore taste it left.

SixKeys
09-06-2012, 07:33 PM
I feel like the reason AC1 got so many negative reviews when it came out was because most professional game reviewers approach every game with the intention of plowing through the storyline and ticking off checklists for what "a good game" is supposed to have. Lots of action? Check. Exotic missions? Check. Etc. AC1 was all about atmosphere, really immersing yourself in the world. It didn't have a quick-witted, charming lead like Ezio who is like straight out of an Erroll Flynn movie. Alta´r was less of a well-rounded character and more of a vessel for the player to project themselves on to. You were the silent hero traveling through a dangerous kingdom, with no clever quips for every passerby, you were more like a time tourist disguised in the garb of that era. The dialogues were more ponderous and morally gray and not everything was neatly wrapped into a Templars-bad-Assassins-good package. You were allowed to explore and play the game however you wanted, to figure things out as you went along. I still remember I nearly had a heart attack when I was just walking along a path and suddenly a Templar knight who had been hiding behind a house starts screaming at me and the Abstergo icon starts blinking red. I didn't know who this guy was or why he was suddenly attacking me when the other guards around the Kingdom mostly ignored me. Slowly, bit by bit, I learned these knights were no pushovers and I should plan my moves carefully around them. It was a thrill every time I managed to kill one without a fight. And only towards the end of the story did I learn why Alta´r even wanted to kill Templars. The game didn't just give you a handy pop-up explaining: "Alta´r really doesn't like Templars. If you see one on your map, you should try to kill them because blah blah blah".

Now, I do appreciate the huge technical leap between AC1 and AC2. AC2 was a more traditional open-world game, with lots of things to distract you and less severe punishments for just messing around (guards got bored of chasing you quickly and killing them en masse wasn't a problem). AC2 took an entirely new direction and added a lot of new ideas. The story and main character were more fleshed out and cut scenes were more cinematic, so you felt more like you were watching a movie instead of being a faceless time tourist. There was more variation to the missions. There was a lot of pointless but entertaining collecting which encouraged exploration.

I love AC2 for what it is, which is a completely different experience from the first game. But I love AC1 even more for what it is. It was different, perhaps too different to survive in its initial form, and that's why the series took a turn towards more conventional. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it was certainly more profitable from Ubi's perspective and allowed them to give us bigger and more polished sequels. Still, a part of me regrets we will probably never see a game like AC1 again.

playassassins1
09-06-2012, 07:50 PM
I think he meant the battle in Arsuf.

Well, robert de sable was in arsuf...

SixKeys
09-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Well, robert de sable was in arsuf...

Maybe he meant when you have to battle like ten Templar knights at once? 'Cause Robert wasn't a problem unless you only had a few blocks of health left after taking on those knights.

playassassins1
09-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Maybe he meant when you have to battle like ten Templar knights at once? 'Cause Robert wasn't a problem unless you only had a few blocks of health left after taking on those knights.

Oh yeah, that was a little before Robert. That was a challenging part yeah.... you had to battle Robert right after that.... was annoying.

Ork3n
09-06-2012, 08:29 PM
I haven't noticed the repetition in AC1 only when I started doing all the view-points. But during the missions it wasn't like that. Maybe because I played it AFTER I heard that it is repetitive and chose as much of a diversity as possible during the side missions (which, from what I know it's possible to a greater degree on the PC version that I own). The assassinations themselves where pretty different, the fight in Arsuf was also different. All in all, I don't think it is as repetitve as people say. It isn't the same mission everytime for 9 times, as some exagerate.

AC1 is classic, I will give you that, but it isn't truly the best game. It started a forumla, it was revolutionary for when it came out, but AC2 perfected it in every way imo. Then the horrible ACB came out but luckly ACR came out too, to take away the sore taste it left.

Everyway? I don't think so, i prefer the investigation + assassination from ac1 then GTA style missions from Ac2 and sequels.... it's true the investigations became very repetitive after the 4th or 5th assassination BUT it has nothing to do with the system used in the game but more because the lack of mission types. Imagine that you actually had more diversity of missions but keep the investigate your target before assassinate it without making it GTA style... That's the let down of Ac2... let's not talk that the combate became less interactive and faster... not that faster is bad, but lose interactiveness just to make it faster isn't a good deal imo.

Batman is a great example of a good interactive and fast-peaced combat system.

LoyalACFan
09-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Everyway? I don't think so, i prefer the investigation + assassination from ac1 then GTA style missions from Ac2 and sequels.... it's true the investigations became very repetitive after the 4th or 5th assassination BUT it has nothing to do with the system used in the game but more because the lack of mission types. Imagine that you actually had more diversity of missions but keep the investigate your target before assassinate it without making it GTA style... That's the let down of Ac2... let's not talk that the combate became less interactive and faster... not that faster is bad, but lose interactiveness just to make it faster isn't a good deal imo.

Batman is a great example of a good interactive and fast-peaced combat system.

I don't see how the investigations weren't, as you put it, GTA-style. You go to a marker on the map, enter the mission, and complete a task. Mission over. Just like the sequels. The only difference was, in AC1, you did the EXACT same thing over and over. Eavesdrop. Pickpocket. Kill guards for an informant. Interrogate. Wash, rinse, repeat. I liked the concept that you had to get to know your target's movements beforehand, but the way they handled it was just awful.

TheHumanTowel
09-06-2012, 08:43 PM
You're not alone in thinking AC1 is highly under-rated but I don't agree that it's the best in the series. It was revolutionary when it came out and I still love it but I wouldn't hope for a return to the same gameplay structure. AC2 benefited a lot from implementing a some more traditional open-world mechanics like side-missions and the economy. It made the game more immersive for me as it seemed like the cities were truly alive and there were things to do in them. AC1 has a great atmosphere and is really immersive but it becomes damaged once you go looking for something to do other than the main story missions. The world feels empty and shallow.

One thing I do miss from AC1 though is the emphasis on social stealth. Social Stealth was one of the main reasons there was so much hype around the game, it sounded so cool. Becoming lost in the crowd, careful not to draw attention to yourself, trying to get into a postition to take out your target. Sure it was flawed in AC1 but the concept was still really strong. AC2 improved on the mechanics by implementing blending in groups but at the same time emphasis was taken away from it. Every game after it features social stealth less and less prominently and that's really disappointing. It was in my opinion the most innovative idea in AC1 and it's sad to see it becoming side-lined in favour of more action sequences.

pacmanate
09-06-2012, 10:25 PM
The reason why AC1 stands out to me is the crappy graphics, darker setting, darker tone and the feeling of Desmond being captive and not knowing whats going on. All of these are good points for me, even the graphic one.

SixKeys
09-06-2012, 10:45 PM
The reason why AC1 stands out to me is the crappy graphics, darker setting, darker tone and the feeling of Desmond being captive and not knowing whats going on. All of these are good points for me, even the graphic one.

I agree with the rest, but crappy graphics? They may have less nuances than in the sequels, but if I had to choose, I think AC1 has better overall graphics than AC2. Alta´r's clothes have more movement and less clipping, there's always wind blowing sand everywhere and the lighting makes you really feel the Middle-Eastern heat. AC2 was too shiny, the character models looked more plastic and cartoony. ACB did a better job of capturing the right balance between the first two games, graphics-wise.

rileypoole1234
09-06-2012, 11:16 PM
AC1 - When I realise AC is going to be something special.

AC2 - When I realised that AC is something special.

Assassin_M
09-06-2012, 11:16 PM
I just cant help but agree with this..
My favorite game in the series is ACR, but AC I just holds a place in my heart. When I replay AC II or ACB, it doesnt really evoke that nostalgia that AC I evokes. I just get to start the menu and I just hear the music and that Animus sound effect goinf into Desmond`s perspective. Its just unmatched..

Walking through that crowded, loud Damascus souk had not similar feeling, I can feel the people going from place to place, hearing the merchants being smartasses, hearing the boiling of that pot that`s never really done. It was amazing.. no other managed to come close to me, but ACR..

SixKeys
09-06-2012, 11:26 PM
I just cant help but agree with this..
My favorite game in the series is ACR, but AC I just holds a place in my heart. When I replay AC II or ACB, it doesnt really evoke that nostalgia that AC I evokes. I just get to start the menu and I just hear the music and that Animus sound effect goinf into Desmond`s perspective. Its just unmatched..

Walking through that crowded, loud Damascus souk had not similar feeling, I can feel the people going from place to place, hearing the merchants being smartasses, hearing the boiling of that pot that`s never really done. It was amazing.. no other managed to come close to me, but ACR..

ACR definitely got the closest to the sense of atmosphere and soundscape of AC1. One of the things I always liked most about AC1 was how I could navigate my way around the city simply by listening to the sounds. You knew you were close to the marketplace when you started to hear the hubbub of crowds and you knew there was a civilian in need of help a few streets away when you got close enough. Civilians would always comment if they caught you climbing a building, so I sometimes made it a challenge for myself to wait until there was no-one around, so I could pretend Alta´r was smart enough not to attract too much attention to himself.

When I started up AC2 for the first time, I actually had to check if there was something wrong with my sound settings because it wasn't nearly as detailed. If I was up on the rooftops, I couldn't hear the crowd talking below and people didn't always seem to care if they saw me performing acrobatic tricks. It made me realize just how important sound is to the gaming experience.

Assassin_M
09-06-2012, 11:29 PM
ACR definitely got the closest to the sense of atmosphere and soundscape of AC1. One of the things I always liked most about AC1 was how I could navigate my way around the city simply by listening to the sounds. You knew you were close to the marketplace when you started to hear the hubbub of crowds and you knew there was a civilian in need of help a few streets away when you got close enough. Civilians would always comment if they caught you climbing a building, so I sometimes made it a challenge for myself to wait until there was no-one around, so I could pretend Alta´r was smart enough not to attract too much attention to himself.

When I started up AC2 for the first time, I actually had to check if there was something wrong with my sound settings because it wasn't nearly as detailed. If I was up on the rooftops, I couldn't hear the crowd talking below and people didn't always seem to care if they saw me performing acrobatic tricks. It made me realize just how important sound is to the gaming experience.

Indeed, also this was lacked in ACB. It mostly had the same sound effects and dialogue, really..

Hopefully, AC III will catch that Atmosphere again, even in empty areas in the Frontier. During the night I want to feel the woods come alive and during the day I want to hear the many sounds of the birds, the elks, the squirrels.. everything..

LoyalACFan
09-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Hopefully, AC III will catch that Atmosphere again, even in empty areas in the Frontier. During the night I want to feel the woods come alive and during the day I want to hear the many sounds of the birds, the elks, the squirrels.. everything..

This. My biggest worry for this game is that the frontier will feel empty compared to the bustling cities. The sound effects are going to have a lot to do with how immersed you get in the wilderness. Plenty of ambient sounds + a suitable background soundtrack.

SixKeys
09-06-2012, 11:44 PM

Agreed. I hope the sounds play a part in how we hunt for certain animals. Like when you hear wolves howling in the distance, you can try to pinpoint their location and move closer to them. I also hope different seasons will affect the sounds in the environment. In the summer one can imagine hearing lots of birdsong, leaves rustling in the wind and bees buzzing and whatnot. In the winter there would be less birds around and more wind howling through the bare trees.

kriegerdesgottes
09-07-2012, 12:07 AM
This. My biggest worry for this game is that the frontier will feel empty compared to the bustling cities. The sound effects are going to have a lot to do with how immersed you get in the wilderness. Plenty of ambient sounds + a suitable background soundtrack.

I agree. Speaking of that let's hope they don't forget to make the music play in the background after you beat the game like they did in Revelations. The music is soo important to the atmosphere.

tarrero
09-07-2012, 12:41 AM
What I want back from AC1 is the "true loyal templars", You see, most of those guys were truly commited to their cause and some of them could even put up a fight - Al mualim and Robert de sable of course-. Aside from Ahmed, I did not like AC2, ACB and ACR templars, not only because most of them were fat and old LOL, but mainly due to the fact they were just greedy bastards. A thing even the modern templars seem to be aware of and despise, according to the dossiers.

So, since it is been stated that ACIII will be more "gray" in terms of how both factions are portrayed, I have really high hopes about this matter.

BATISTABUS
09-07-2012, 01:14 AM
No matter how many fantastic (and possibly revolutionary) things it had going for it, the missions were just FAR too repetitive. That's really what it comes down to.

Calvarok
09-07-2012, 03:32 AM
I LOVED it, but it had a LOT of problems. I barely finished it.

AC2 to me, was what it should have been. It was my favorite open-world game ever!

LoyalACFan
09-07-2012, 03:54 AM
What I want back from AC1 is the "true loyal templars", You see, most of those guys were truly commited to their cause and some of them could even put up a fight - Al mualim and Robert de sable of course-. Aside from Ahmed, I did not like AC2, ACB and ACR templars, not only because most of them were fat and old LOL, but mainly due to the fact they were just greedy bastards. A thing even the modern templars seem to be aware of and despise, according to the dossiers.

So, since it is been stated that ACIII will be more "gray" in terms of how both factions are portrayed, I have really high hopes about this matter.

I somewhat agree. I'm getting extremely tired of targets who just stand there and let themselves be stabbed (*coughcoughLeandroscough*) but the "grey morals" concept kind of got old in AC1. I mean, I don't want the targets to be cackling cartoon villains, but hearing the same "you fool, I was really a good guy!" speech (with the one notable exception of Majd Addin) over and over was tiring. I've always seen the Templars as the type who understand that some of the things they do are wrong in order to serve a greater good, just like the Assassins. But the AC1 guys were all like "Yeah, I'm a slaver. Problem? I'm helping these people!" It's like none of them grasped that what they were doing was wrong in any way.

But I'll grant you that in Ezio's trilogy, it wasn't quite grey enough. Most of the targets had the basic outlook of "Screw the people, I want power, b!tch!" Hopefully they can strike a balance in AC3. But if not, I won't care too much. The game will still be awesome.

DiamondBlade_R
09-07-2012, 02:58 PM
What do you guys think was the reason or the cause for the change in atmosphere between AC1 and its sequels? I'm starting to think it wasn't even deliberate, but more like something that just "happened", seeing as how even the Altair flashbacks in ACR did not have that same atmosphere - it's as if the creators of the games did not remember what made AC1's atmosphere what it was.

LoyalACFan
09-07-2012, 04:05 PM
What do you guys think was the reason or the cause for the change in atmosphere between AC1 and its sequels? I'm starting to think it wasn't even deliberate, but more like something that just "happened", seeing as how even the Altair flashbacks in ACR did not have that same atmosphere - it's as if the creators of the games did not remember what made AC1's atmosphere what it was.

The sequels were more cinematic. In AC1, you almost never got to see Altair's face. The cutscenes were basically just frozen gameplay; you stood still and watched (usually from behind Altair) while events unfolded. Whereas in AC2 onward, the cutscenes were very much like a movie. Better cinematography, more face close-ups, etc. I think that was the biggest change that made Altair's missions seem more like Ezio's.

dxsxhxcx
09-07-2012, 04:22 PM
The sequels were more cinematic. In AC1, you almost never got to see Altair's face. The cutscenes were basically just frozen gameplay; you stood still and watched (usually from behind Altair) while events unfolded. Whereas in AC2 onward, the cutscenes were very much like a movie. Better cinematography, more face close-ups, etc. I think that was the biggest change that made Altair's missions seem more like Ezio's.

I don't think the cutscenes have something to do with it, IMO Altair used to fit a lot more with the environment around him than Ezio ever did on his games, but in ACR they weren't able to recreate this atmosphere AC1 had for the Altair sequences, if I'm not wrong once someone used the colors they used in AC1 as an explanation for the atmosphere, I don't remember in which thread we had this discussion but it's an old thread from the time of ACB...

SteelCity999
09-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Great place for random events to happen like in RDR.

AC1 had a great atmosphere to it but was rather unpoilshed gameplay wise. AC2 while getting better gameplay lost a little bit of the immersion mostly because the streets seemed less crowded and there were very few unique things in different parts of the cities to make it feel alive. That being said, AC2 had a unique ambience and its overall presentation was improved. Its hard to argue that AC1 did not do a good job in making you feel like you were there in thise cities.

I hope AC3 can give some choas in the streets - it would be cool if NPC tracks and events were randomized so that the streets felt unpredictable.

raytrek79
09-08-2012, 05:59 AM
I agree, it is a classic. People can nitpick stuff about it that they think would improve it but it is done now, they are not going to waste time adding suggested improvements. It is a classic, it stands on its own as it is. People will always find criticism in anything but what do they want? A job? Saying something and translating that suggestion into some enormous programming are two different things.
But I suppose my opinion doesn't matter because I actually love Revelations.