PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe the news....

Poodle_of_Doom
09-06-2012, 06:41 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/ubisoft-drops-drm-pc-games-despite-soaring-piracy-002538025.html?_esi=1

I guess the gaming community has won. However, I wonder what kind of an impact this will have on the future of gaming. I understand why they did what they did. Do you think this will give them an excuse to raise prices?

ProletariatPleb
09-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Kinda late, are we?
Also, Yahoo? :P

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/ubisoft-ditches-always-on-pc-drm-clarifies-on-the-95-pc-piracy-rates-comment/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/05/ubisoft-renounces-always-on-drm-for-pc-assassins-creed-3-confirmed-playable-offline/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/05/ubisoft-drm-piracy-interview/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/05/ubisoft-scrapping-always-on-drm-for-pc-games/

Locopells
09-06-2012, 12:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj2ovFLtxhE&feature=plcp

Seriously though, I hadn't heard this, though I thought it had already been done.

SixKeys
09-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Most of us here already knew about this, but not everyone in the gaming community keeps up with everything Ubisoft does. I guess this is the first time they've made it official.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
09-06-2012, 01:27 PM
We’ve listened to the feedback and realize that we haven’t always been clear and consistent with our PC gamers. We’ve responded by moving forward with solutions that are mutually beneficial for our PC customers and the protection of our IP.

We are focusing on delivering more online services and features that add to the value of our games so that our paying customers get the best overall experience.

Ubisoft’s activation policy is to require only a one-time online activation upon installation of a new PC game to validate the purchase. This is an industry-standard practice for protecting PC games and now applies to all Ubisoft PC titles.

We’re investing in the free-to-play model because it allows us to reach new audiences and developing markets through ever-expanding experiences, immersive gameplay and accessible services, and to develop closer relationships with customers.

We’ve working on improving the quality and timeliness of PC versions of our titles.

dxsxhxcx
09-06-2012, 01:33 PM
there's no reason to raise the prices, their games were cracked with DRM and will continue to be cracked without it, this system was more annoying for paying customers than people who download their games illegally...

RatonhnhakeFan
09-06-2012, 01:37 PM
About time. Now catch up on another industry standard - releasing PC games the same day as console versions.

ProletariatPleb
09-06-2012, 01:41 PM
there's no reason to raise the prices, their games were cracked with DRM and will continue to be cracked without it, this system was more annoying for paying customers than people who download their games illegally...
Indeed, DRMs rarely prevent piracy.

About time. Now catch up on another industry standard - releasing PC games the same day as console versions.
^This. Enough with artificial delays.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM

We’ve heard that feedback and are working on improving in this area. For instance, the PC version of Assassin’s Creed III is arriving only a few weeks after the console versions, and the PC version of Far Cry 3 will ship at the same time as the console versions. We develop all of our games with the goal of creating the best experience for the specific platform, and in some cases this means we have to take more time. We will make every effort to be more clear and consistent about when PC versions will be available in the future.

BBALive
09-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I heard about this a few days ago, and was very happy. I look forward to enjoying AC3 on PC without intrusive DRM.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-06-2012, 01:59 PM
We develop all of our games with the goal of creating the best experience for the specific platform, and in some cases this means we have to take more time.Nobody believes this. Simple. Especially not with a game that has 700 people working on it and was in development on PC from the start and when other publishers can release quality PC ports the same day as console versions (latest example - Sleeping Dogs with DX11, HD textures and tons of improvements on PC). Ubisoft destroyed its reputation in the core PC market completely in the past few years. No excuse will be accepted at this point. Nothing against you Ubi-Mush, just telling how the company is perceived among PC users.

D.I.D.
09-06-2012, 02:03 PM
I guess the gaming community has won. However, I wonder what kind of an impact this will have on the future of gaming.

Slim to minimal, but Ubisoft's sales will probably improve.

Last year, PC games made more money than PS3 games, despite costing far less. It's a huge and growing market. Published game sales are often misleading, since they are often measured in physical sales only and even then only using certain traders as their yardstick.

This will do Ubisoft a lot of good. I expect they'll be seen in a much better light from now on, and it certainly seems that way in comments online as PC customers welcome this move. It was the only announcement regarding anti-piracy policy that could possibly have a positive effect. The piracy argument was indefensible, given that a game like Skyrim could sell in excess of 13 million in Steam downloads alone. Any amount of piracy is meaningless when there's such stark evidence that people will pay even though in theory they could get the games for free.

I sometimes pay more for a title from Steam than it would have cost from Green Man Gaming simply because I like having my library all in one place.

I understand why they did what they did. Do you think this will give them an excuse to raise prices?

They'll save money. It also gives them the option of shipping physical PC games with Steam, as other big companies are starting to do, should they ever decide to give up on UPlay. It would be a very good idea to abandon UPlay now, although I know they intend to expand UPlay's marketplace to be a competitor to Steam and Origin so that's probably unlikely.

UPlay's a great way to keep everyone up to date with patches, just like Steam, but I think Steam has the edge in tempting customers into buying DLC expansions. It's simply a matter of greater trust; people love Valve and Steam in a way that is the envy of every other publisher. Steam isn't thought of as DRM even though that's its exact function.

If anything, the success of Steam is keeping a lid on prices and helping to bring them down. It has democratised pricing, allowing customers to buy at full price for games they want immediately and wait for regular fixed-period sales on other titles. This has been a contentious issue with some publishers, but I think it's good for everyone. Due to Steam, I've found myself buying games from genres I had never wanted to play before. I'm buying more games than ever, and a broader range of them, and while I might have bought Game X at discount for £8 this time, I'm far more likely to buy its sequel at full price in the future. Under the old regime, I wouldn't have bought Game X at all. Raising prices doesn't necessarily raise profits, but increasing sales figures does.

ProletariatPleb
09-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Nobody believes this. Simple. Especially not with a game that has 700 people working on it and was in development on PC from the start and when other publishers can release quality PC ports the same day as console versions (latest example - Sleeping Dogs with DX11, HD textures and tons of improvements on PC). Ubisoft destroyed its reputation in the core PC market completely in the past few years. No excuse will be accepted at this point. Nothing against you Ubi-Mush, just telling how the company is perceived among PC users.
^This, 1000x

I have nothing against Mush, she does a good job and that's that, but from what I know, PC gamers and Ubisoft seldom go hand in hand because of reasons like this. If they just treat us fairly, I am ready to forgive as are most PC players.

kudos17
09-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Nobody believes this. Simple. Especially not with a game that has 700 people working on it and was in development on PC from the start and when other publishers can release quality PC ports the same day as console versions (latest example - Sleeping Dogs with DX11, HD textures and tons of improvements on PC). Ubisoft destroyed its reputation in the core PC market completely in the past few years. No excuse will be accepted at this point. Nothing against you Ubi-Mush, just telling how the company is perceived among PC users.

Yeah, this.

Does Ubisoft honestly - honestly - think we believe they can't push out a PC port on time, when everyone else can? The real reason for the delay is obvious.

But removal of the ridiculous DRM is a step in the right direction. They'll just have to deal with the piracy until they earn their reputation back.

I mean, take a game like the Witcher 2. That game treats PC gamers in all the right ways, and so it's considered taboo to pirate (imagine that, pirates with morals). But I feel if Ubisoft continues to throw out the olive branch first and tries their best to mend the bad feelings with PC gamers, piracy would be cut down.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
09-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I have nothing against Mush, he does a good job and that's that, but from what I know, PC gamers and Ubisoft seldom go hand in hand because of reasons like this. If they just treat us fairly, I am ready to forgive as are most PC players.

I'm a she :) please be aware Ubisoft is listening to your feedback and the goal is to provide a clear, precise and consistent solution for PC gamers.

ProletariatPleb
09-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah, this.

Does Ubisoft honestly - honestly - think we believe they can't push out a PC port on time, when everyone else can? The real reason for the delay is obvious.

But removal of the ridiculous DRM is a step in the right direction. They'll just have to deal with the piracy until they earn their reputation back.

I mean, take a game like the Witcher 2. That game treats PC gamers in all the right ways, and so it's considered taboo to pirate (imagine that, pirates with morals). But I feel if Ubisoft continues to throw out the olive branch first and tries their best to mend the bad feelings with PC gamers, piracy would be cut down.
^hahah, this is true, I've witnessed this myself, anybody talks about pirating Witcher 2 or some VALVe games, they feel the wrath of a lot of people. Opposite for Ubisoft.

I'm a she :) please be aware Ubisoft is listening to your feedback and the goal is to provide a clear, precise and consistent solution for PC gamers.
Edited :P

Poodle_of_Doom
09-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah, this.

Why would it be considered taboo to pirate something?

ProletariatPleb
09-06-2012, 03:47 PM
because they provide proper support for the PC, they made a great game and they have not yet charged for any DLCs and continuously update their game, 10GB worth of content was added to the game for free because fans asked for.

Mr_Shade
09-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Your joking.. right?

dxsxhxcx
09-06-2012, 04:43 PM
because they provide proper support for the PC, they made a great game and they have not yet charged for any DLCs and continuously update their game, 10GB worth of content was added to the game for free because fans asked for.

this didn't stop the game from being pirated but it certainly increased their sales of the game, this is what companies should do, adapt to piracy and not try to stop it because (IMO) piracy can't be stopped.

Ubisoft made a good decision this time, let's hope they continue this way... :)

Locopells
09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Your joking.. right?

Broadly I get it, but I have to admit that I was curious as to why only one company would be considered off limits amongst pirates.

Oh and grammer, boy!

RatonhnhakeFan
09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Broadly I get it, but I have to admit that I was curious as to why only one company would be considered off limits amongst pirates.'Cause it caters heavily to PC gamers.

Locopells
09-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Was curiouse - past tense. But thanks for repeating, anyway.

Poodle_of_Doom
09-07-2012, 03:00 AM
Your joking.. right?

No, not really. And here's why:

Broadly I get it, but I have to admit that I was curious as to why only one company would be considered off limits amongst pirates.

Oh and grammer, boy!

I was thinking basically the same thing. At that, when someone is pirating something, I doubt they really care who they're ripping off. They're usually out to make a buck, and don't care who they screw over in the process. So, putting it in context, considering their overall goal, I don't understand why someone screwing you over to better their own position is considered taboo.

I should note that I don't believe in pirating. I believe it is wrong, both morally and ethically. But that is beside the point.

SixKeys
09-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Oh and grammer, boy!

"Grammar".

Was curiouse - past tense

"Curious". ;)

I was thinking basically the same thing. At that, when someone is pirating something, I doubt they really care who they're ripping off. They're usually out to make a buck, and don't care who they screw over in the process. So, putting it in context, considering their overall goal, I don't understand why someone screwing you over to better their own position is considered taboo.

Pirates come in all stripes. Some pirate because they're simply cheap and don't want to pay for the game. Some pirate as a sign of protest against a company they feel doesn't deserve their money. (Sometimes they're not even really interested in the game, they just want to "stick it to the man" because they know game companies keep tabs on how much a game is pirated.) Some do it because the DRM that comes with the legally purchased game is actually preventing them from enjoying the product they paid for. Not all pirates have the same agenda and some of them do know and care that pirating hurts businesses. Pirating games is their way of sending a message to these businesses, essentially telling them they're not treating their customers right or are doing something that's otherwise unethical (like using cheap slave labor or something). Conversely, supporting a company that does treat its customers with respect (like Valve) is considered sending a more positive message.

kudos17
09-07-2012, 03:52 AM
this didn't stop the game from being pirated but it certainly increased their sales of the game, this is what companies should do, adapt to piracy and not try to stop it because (IMO) piracy can't be stopped.

Ubisoft made a good decision this time, let's hope they continue this way... :)

Exactly. This is what CD Projekt RED did. They didn't bother with DRM or all that hassle. They threw out a game that was great and said "play it, you'll love it". The point is not that they made an exclusively-PC-centered game (though that definitely helped), the point is that they treat their customers like people, not numbers. They give free updates. They give free support. They make a quality game that stays true to itself and what it was based off of (if you've read the Witcher books, you know what I mean). It's all around great service, and that's what people should be payed for.

Will people pirate The Witcher 2 anyway? Of course, like they pirate anything else. But if you win the support of the majority and keep a faithful and loyal fanbase, you never have to worry about the ones that pirate. I've seen the fans of CD Projekt - they will literally buy anything from them, simply because they know and like how they work. I've seen others who will NEVER purchase ANYTHING from Ubisoft. You can guess why.

A good relationship between developer and consumer absolutely makes a difference.

Poodle_of_Doom
09-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Pirates come in all stripes. Some pirate because they're simply cheap and don't want to pay for the game. Some pirate as a sign of protest against a company they feel doesn't deserve their money. (Sometimes they're not even really interested in the game, they just want to "stick it to the man" because they know game companies keep tabs on how much a game is pirated.) Some do it because the DRM that comes with the legally purchased game is actually preventing them from enjoying the product they paid for. Not all pirates have the same agenda and some of them do know and care that pirating hurts businesses. Pirating games is their way of sending a message to these businesses, essentially telling them they're not treating their customers right or are doing something that's otherwise unethical (like using cheap slave labor or something). Conversely, supporting a company that does treat its customers with respect (like Valve) is considered sending a more positive message.

But my point is that it doesn't really matter. Haters gonna hate. If you get ripped off, your going to get ripped off. Somethings, like piracy, can't be helped or stopped. It's like those radar detectors. Companies always come out with better radar blockers, and cops always get better radars. Might as well find a new way to deal with it. Don't inconvenience me, and my fellow gammers. Just sue the living crud out of the piraters.

jmk1999
09-07-2012, 06:08 AM
"Grammar".

"Curious". ;)

actually, that would be spelling, not grammar... but touché... point taken. :rolleyes:

anyway, carry on with the conversation. :cool:

ProletariatPleb
09-07-2012, 06:34 AM

I should note that I don't believe in pirating. I believe it is wrong, both morally and ethically. But that is beside the point.
Ouch....that's....not true. It's harder to explain than just a simple "hurr we don't care".

Also, another article, shedding more light on things:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/06/why-might-ubisoft-have-changed-their-minds-on-drm/

Locopells
09-07-2012, 12:04 PM
"Grammar".

"Curious".

Touché.

The one naffing time I don't spell check...

Poodle_of_Doom
09-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Ouch....that's....not true. It's harder to explain than just a simple "hurr we don't care".

Also, another article, shedding more light on things:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/06/why-might-ubisoft-have-changed-their-minds-on-drm/

Wow.... You couldn't of done a better job of making my last arguement seem even more valid.

"Publishers don’t smear their games in DRM because they’re just so protectively jealous of their creations. That’s the ******** you’ll hear spun when they’re challenged, obviously, but it’s code for, “We have to keep making money, and people are getting our stuff without paying for it.” While some individual developers, and maybe even employees of publishers, may feel personally affronted when they see something they worked so hard on being downloaded without first being paid for, publishing companies absolutely do not see it this way. It’s not about the art, it’s about the cash."

"So why now? Well, they’re not going to say. So we can take guesses, and we’d be pretty silly if those guesses didn’t focus on money. Always-on DRM had, from any perspective we can see, been a failure. With Ubisoft calling the claim that it had reduced piracy “unfortunate”, and pirated versions of the game running just fine without an internet connection, its immediate purpose doesn’t seem to have worked out at all. Then rather more massively significantly, it’s proven to be disastrous for legitimate customers. With server downtime through accidents, malicious attacks, and even days of scheduled downtime due to a server house migration, it clearly demonstrated that it was a deeply flawed system for managing game access. People who paid for the single-player offline games could not play them. People who had downloaded them without paying could. That’s exactly the opposite of the intended goal."

Which brings me back around to my lat point. Being that they'll always create DRM technology, and we'll get better pirates. At the end of the day, it's a feutile effort that wastes investors money. This doesn't look good. The better option, as I've said before, would be to track down, and sue, pirates.

ProletariatPleb
09-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Which brings me back around to my lat point. Being that they'll always create DRM technology, and we'll get better pirates. At the end of the day, it's a feutile effort that wastes investors money. This doesn't look good. The better option, as I've said before, would be to track down, and sue, pirates.
Well clearly you don't understand a thing about what piracy really is, that isn't going to work.(by the way that article wasn't for you, it was just to add to the thread)
Also, if you believe piracy actually HURTS any industry, the music, movie and porn industry would've died LONG ago.

pacmanate
09-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Well music piracy leads to bigger music sales....

Does Ubisoft have dedicated teams for both PC, XBox and PS3? Or is it just ported to PS3 and PC after?

Poodle_of_Doom
09-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Well clearly you don't understand a thing about what piracy really is, that isn't going to work.(by the way that article wasn't for you, it was just to add to the thread)
Also, if you believe piracy actually HURTS any industry, the music, movie and porn industry would've died LONG ago.

Apprently you don't when the article you submitted in response to something I said spells out exactly what I was hinting at. But why don't you take this time to enlighten me, since I don't know what's going on....

connor_bg
09-07-2012, 10:30 PM
It is funny how many of the news related topics are commented by people who have already saw this elsewhere earlier and feeling proud about it and decide to put comment about the news are being old. Like there is some competition going on.

Poodle_of_Doom
09-08-2012, 12:37 AM
It is funny how many of the news related topics are commented by people who have already saw this elsewhere earlier and feeling proud about it and decide to put comment about the news are being old. Like there is some competition going on.

And it's not just topics like this either. It with every freaking post. It kind of pisses me off in a way. You just can't bring something up to talk about it anymore.

rileypoole1234
09-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Yeah this news made me a little sad.

Poodle_of_Doom
09-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah this news made me a little sad.

How come?

catkiller97
09-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers (http://www.1up.com/news/ubisoft-prepares-do-right-pc-gamers)

ProletariatPleb
09-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Ubisoft Prepares to Do Right By PC Gamers (http://www.1up.com/news/ubisoft-prepares-do-right-pc-gamers)

The comments say it all.