PDA

View Full Version : [Article] How Ubisoft Avoided Stereotypes

MT4K
09-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Come across this article posted on another Forum and figured i'd bring it here for you guys to see.

Click me (http://techland.time.com/2012/09/05/assassins-creed-iiis-connor-kenway-how-ubisoft-avoided-stereotypes-and-made-a-real-character/)

notafanboy
09-06-2012, 12:16 AM
pretty good read.

De Filosoof
09-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Come across this article posted on another Forum and figured i'd bring it here for you guys to see.

Click me (http://techland.time.com/2012/09/05/assassins-creed-iiis-connor-kenway-how-ubisoft-avoided-stereotypes-and-made-a-real-character/)

Very interesting read with some nice facts.
The AC team really gets my respect from this.
I hope many game developers will look at AC3 and take notes.
I always get the feeling that most people don't understand how much the media influences them because it takes place in their subconscious mind, it can be used for some pretty dirty stuff.

Thanks for posting :).

morpheusPrime08
09-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Ubisoft sure did go above and beyond on this one.

On a side not, can someone tell me if Connor is left or right handed with the bow? In the gameplay demo he holds the bow with his right but in cut scenes, pictures, artwork, it's with his left:confused:.

Locopells
09-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Good read. And I think he's ambidextrous.

Kit572
09-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Interesting read, I like it how Ubisoft is trying to make Connor as authentic as possible...

LoyalACFan
09-06-2012, 05:31 AM

On a side not, can someone tell me if Connor is left or right handed with the bow? In the gameplay demo he holds the bow with his right but in cut scenes, pictures, artwork, it's with his left:confused:.

I'd go with what you saw in the gameplay. The cinematic trailer, while awesome, isn't necessarily representative of what we get in the game (i.e. the Ezio ninja flips in the ACR trailer) and the pictures and artwork could be mirrored.

Poodle_of_Doom
09-06-2012, 06:58 AM
I think it's really awesome. It goes to show you that some rather large companies still have a social conscious, which is rather lacking these days.

NOLA_Assassin
09-06-2012, 06:58 AM

He's ambidextrous, that's why he can duel wield so efficiently.

AdrianJacek
09-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Yeah, sure. Let's just forget they already did that with Ezio, why not.

Assassin_M
09-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Yeah, sure. Let's just forget they already did that with Ezio, why not.
Did what ?

ProletariatPleb
09-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Did what ?
"that"

HisSpiritLives
09-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Looks like Ubisoft is really working hard so they can make Connor an awesome character.

WolfTemplar94
09-06-2012, 09:26 AM
It's funny, I really didn't realise how ignorant I was on the subject of Native Americans until reading about AC3 in detail. They're probably one of the most overly stereotyped cultures in the world. I'm so proud of the way Ubisoft have been handling them in this game. It's really pushing the gaming industry forward. Hell, it's pushing media in general forward, with their war against stereotypes. Hopefully other gaming industries jump onto the bandwagon.

DarkSolitude-X
09-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I completely understand why such precautions are taken and I agree, authenticity is needed as well as common respect. At the same time, I am getting this itch in the back of my brain, about "walking on eggshells" just because the culture that is represented isn't white.

This could get into a bunch of social political crap, but I'm not going to take it there. Just strikes a notion in me...

Locopells
09-06-2012, 12:17 PM
The thing is, given that the game is set during the birth of the nation that did it's dammedest to wipe them out, you gotta do it right.

EscoBlades
09-06-2012, 12:21 PM

Great read, thanks for the link. I knew some of this, but wow, Ubi stepped up to the plate here. So impressed.

Poodle_of_Doom
09-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I completely understand why such precautions are taken and I agree, authenticity is needed as well as common respect. At the same time, I am getting this itch in the back of my brain, about "walking on eggshells" just because the culture that is represented isn't white.

This could get into a bunch of social political crap, but I'm not going to take it there. Just strikes a notion in me...

Well, could you imagine what it would be like if everyone just took the oppertunity to get it right the first time, instead of being bigoted, or buying into sterotypes?

RatonhnhakeFan
09-06-2012, 04:05 PM
It's funny, I really didn't realise how ignorant I was on the subject of Native Americans until reading about AC3 in detail. They're probably one of the most overly stereotyped cultures in the world. I'm so proud of the way Ubisoft have been handling them in this game. It's really pushing the gaming industry forward. Hell, it's pushing media in general forward, with their war against stereotypes. Hopefully other gaming industries jump onto the bandwagon.Hollywood is the main offender here unfortunately. What's worse is that now that it "admitted" to past mistakes in portrayal of Native Americans, instead of rectifying it and making up for it, they basically stopped portraying them at all.

Glad AC3 team is trying to do the best job possible.

Aphex_Tim
09-06-2012, 05:46 PM
"A 2009 study of games released between 2005 and 2006..."

Am i reading this wrong or.....?

LightRey
09-06-2012, 06:01 PM

yes. :|

itsamea-mario
09-06-2012, 06:46 PM

A study taken in 2009, about games released between 2005 and 2006.

LightRey
09-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Thank you captain!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hVkPhgN5Xsc/SmCos5phnhI/AAAAAAAAAEo/lNGfZzLLmmU/s400/captain-obvious2.jpg

RatonhnhakeFan
09-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Is there some problem with the study? Is it because it was done on games just from 1 year period? Not sure I understand xD

In any case, ti ain't like it matter if it was a small study. Not like we need any study anyway to know that straight white males dominate gaming protagonists heavily

itsamea-mario
09-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Thank you captain!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hVkPhgN5Xsc/SmCos5phnhI/AAAAAAAAAEo/lNGfZzLLmmU/s400/captain-obvious2.jpg

Well it wasn't for you was it...

itsamea-mario
09-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Is there some problem with the study? Is it because it was done on games just from 1 year period? Not sure I understand xD

In any case, ti ain't like it matter if it was a small study. Not like we need any study anyway to know that straight white males dominate gaming protagonists heavily

Yeah, seems odd, there can't be many games in that bracket, dodgy survey if you ask me, even though it's right. Unless they got the numbers wrong.

LoyalACFan
09-06-2012, 08:13 PM

It's not just because they're "not white", it's because the Native American people (particularly the Western tribes) have collectively endured almost a century of popular media that depicted them as screaming, brainless killing machines, followed by another 50 years or so of a somewhat apologetic (but equally inaccurate) label as almost magical hunter-trackers with spiritual connections to animals. I'm glad Ubi is actually trying to get it right this time, since VERY few films and NO video games have ever gotten it.

SteelCity999
09-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't think Ubi had much of a choice in the matter. They consistently tout how accurate they attempt to portray history and how much research they do in creating cities and the overall environment, not to mention the individual people as well. If they didn't do the research and go the extra mile, there wouldn't be much credibility left in the way they portray anything else.

Let's face it, the Native Americans played a pivotal role in the revolutionary war and the history before and after. They deserve to be represented in an authentic manner and not left to some stereotypical depiction.

Aphex_Tim
09-06-2012, 08:40 PM

Ah yes of course, please forgive me for being a total dumb*ss... :p

BATISTABUS
09-06-2012, 11:09 PM
I really like reading about this stuff...especially since I'm taking an anthropology class on Native Americans this semester. :D