PDA

View Full Version : a lack of coherent time keeping

notafanboy
09-05-2012, 11:33 PM
one thing that has always bugged me in the AC games is the lack of coherent time kepping, yes occasionally it flashes forward 1 or 2 years but it still feels weird. I mean, do you know how long it took Ezio to track down Emilio in AC2 for example ? 4 years !!!, i thought it was like 2-4 weeks !. They could have just put a little "a week latter" or "a year latter" thingy, that would have given me a much better sense of time.

Also, Ezio's family is killed in 1476, and the final confrontation takes place in 1492. But this timeframe is made very unclear by the in-game events.

TheHumanTowel
09-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Yeah sometimes the time jumps seem a little bit abrupt. I remember looking at synch menu for the sequence where Ezio learns how to fight at Mario's villa and thinking woah he spent two years training. It's not a big issue for me though and I only noticed it a couple of times.

Didn't the final confrontation in the Vatican take place in 1499?

notafanboy
09-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Yeah sometimes the time jumps seem a little bit abrupt. I remember looking at synch menu for the sequence where Ezio learns how to fight at Mario's villa and thinking woah he spent two years training. It's not a big issue for me though and I only noticed it a couple of times.

Didn't the final confrontation in the Vatican take place in 1499?
thats true, my mistake

LoyalACFan
09-06-2012, 12:03 AM
I agree. A LOT of the dates for AC don't match up. In Lineage, the Sforza guy was assassinated a few days after Christmas in 1476, leaving like four or five days left in the year, but then all the events of the Auditore murders, including Uberto's death, were in 1476 as well? Huh? Also, Francesco de'Pazzi was apparently 10 years old when Vieri was born...

rileypoole1234
09-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I guess I'm the only one who knew the length of time of everything... They tell you the year at the beginning of each sequence so I guess I just don't see a problem with it.

deskp
09-06-2012, 02:22 AM
The problem is that the protagonist looks basicaly the same throught the game, making it feel like its a much shorter time frame. also everything else stays the same.

If they gave the protagonist a family with a child, that would be a good way to track time in the game, if they had enough models of the kid in diferent stages.... obviously this might have held back the story telling

LoyalACFan
09-06-2012, 03:46 AM
The problem is that the protagonist looks basicaly the same throught the game, making it feel like its a much shorter time frame. also everything else stays the same.

That's not entirely true. Ezio's voice does deepen significantly over the course of the game, and his features matured slightly. It wasn't really that dramatic, since he's still very young by the end of the game (not including the ten-year leap Bonfire of the Vanities and everything that came after it). I definitely felt like Ezio was growing older over the course of the game.

SixKeys
09-06-2012, 04:16 AM
That's not entirely true. Ezio's voice does deepen significantly over the course of the game, and his features matured slightly. It wasn't really that dramatic, since he's still very young by the end of the game (not including the ten-year leap Bonfire of the Vanities and everything that came after it). I definitely felt like Ezio was growing older over the course of the game.

His voice fluctuates a lot, though. In the carriage sequence with Leonardo he already sounds much deeper and that's still relatively early in the game. And you notice it a lot when you hire factions and he says stuff like "Give me a minute" in a very deep voice even in the early sequences. That coupled with the fact that he suddenly grows a beard overnight towards the end of the game makes it easy to forget he's supposed to be aging over several years.

Poodle_of_Doom
09-06-2012, 07:01 AM
What's funny is that this fact seemed present in the game, but not in the ones that followed. Or at least it seemed that way to me.

GLHS
09-06-2012, 10:33 AM
As far as factually, it's just about researching and paying close attention to the time presented in the sequence. However, time is purposely meant to feel out of place while in the Animus. Desmond has only been doing all of this for like 2 months. But yet, it feels like so much longer b/c of what he goes through in the Animus. Especially when you're goofin around in there and finally get through the sequence. You come out, and it's really only been like a day. He went through 30 years of events with Ezio in like 3 weeks.

WolfTemplar94
09-06-2012, 10:39 AM
If you think about it though, things don't happen that often in real life. Ezio being human, means he needs to take things slowly. The training for two years also makes a lot of sense when you think of all the things he can do.

pacmanate
09-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I agree the time keeping is weird. I would much prefer a 2 years later thing like you said, or at least something that pops up like this:

Boston - 6 Years Later - 25 years old.

That way we could know Connors age at different points too. I would have thought Connor would have 4 character models. One when a Child, One when he is in teens or 20's (from PLAY magazne article), one how we have seen him in his Assassin's Gear, and one when he is older near the end of the game.

Locopells
09-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Well they did start giving Altair's age in ACR, so...

SixKeys
09-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Well they did start giving Altair's age in ACR, so...

Alta´r actually did visibly age in ACR, though. I guess they were able to have more character models for him since his sequences were linear and short.

LightRey
09-06-2012, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't call it a problem or even annoying. However, it would be nice if they made it all a bit more clear to the player, to get a better sense of when what chiz is going down. I don't like having to remember numbers for that.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Boston - 6 Years Later - 25 years old.This would've been ideal and be a clear message of passing time

LoyalACFan
09-06-2012, 05:06 PM
This would've been ideal and be a clear message of passing time

I'd rather have the actual date, so I can get an idea of when in history this is happening.

pacmanate
09-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I'd rather have the actual date, so I can get an idea of when in history this is happening.

Boston
Age 24

Ork3n
09-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Boston
17th December 1773
Age 24

The full date for each mission :p

LoyalACFan
09-06-2012, 09:48 PM

And while we're at it, let's add a real-time clock to the HUD, accurate to the second in every sequence :p

pacmanate
09-06-2012, 10:23 PM

I did put the full date :(

Ork3n
09-07-2012, 12:12 AM
I did put the full date :(

You did not, go check ur post, it was that writted 14th December, you only had the year. ;)