PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed III: players will love "terrific" Desmond payoff

anik_lc
09-04-2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.edge-online.com/news/assassins-creed-iii-players-will-love-terrific-desmond-payoff

LightRey
09-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Sounds interesting. Looking forward to see what they've done with him.

Kit572
09-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Well I for one hopes that Desmond's ending is as satisfying as Hutchinson says it is, I remember Mass Effect 3... very bad ending (Haven't played director's cut yet).

anik_lc
09-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Well I for one hopes that Desmond's ending is as satisfying as Hutchinson says it is, I remember Mass Effect 3... very bad ending (Haven't played director's cut yet).

DLC is the new word for $$$. ;)

lonewarrior30
09-04-2012, 03:08 PM
''....climbing inside temples and things....''

RatonhnhakeFan
09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I'm cautious. Especially after this: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/692332-Ubisoft-nervous-about-AC3-ending-Forums

Kit572
09-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I'm cautious. Especially after this: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/692332-Ubisoft-nervous-about-AC3-ending-Forums

First Mass Effect 3, now AC3?

I'm scared.

KH_Austin
09-04-2012, 03:30 PM
All right!! hehe, can't wait to find out what Desmond is up to! He's my favorite character to date. Why? He's just an normal guy caught up in much bigger things than he thinks and his past Assassins is part of it, i.e Altair, Ezio, and Connor. I do hope we get to nail that evil sciencist, Warren Vivic and C.E.O of A.I, Alan Rickkins, who they caused so many pains over the years before and now!

Assassin_M
09-04-2012, 03:30 PM
First Mass Effect 3, now AC3?

I'm scared.
This thread is evidence.. Anyone disliked AC III ending, we`ll just sue Ubisoft for false advertising and use that article as Evidence... Case Closed..

RatonhnhakeFan
09-04-2012, 03:31 PM
This thread is evidence.. Anyone disliked AC III ending, we`ll just sue Ubisoft for false advertising and use that article as Evidence... Case Closed..

Don't forget about sending 'protest cupcakes' to Ubisoft and god knows what else ME fans did during that ending drama lol

Assassin_M
09-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Don't forget about sending 'protest cupcakes' to Ubisoft and god knows what else ME fans did during that ending drama lol

so...we will be sending cupcakes to ubisoft? :P
Probably can`t.... AC III only has one ending... we can send them a Bowl of poop, though..Symbolism to their ending..

lonewarrior30

so...we will be sending cupcakes to ubisoft? :P

Kit572

Hold the phone - protest cupcakes?

What the f**k?

Assassin_M
09-04-2012, 03:33 PM

What the f**k?
Yes, they sent the devs 3 cup cakes all looking different yet having the same flavor... Smart bastards..

Kit572
09-04-2012, 03:35 PM
haha xD

Let me guess... one cupcake was blue, one was green, and one was red?

RatonhnhakeFan
09-04-2012, 03:36 PM

What the f**k?
http://www.destructoid.com/rebake-mass-effect-bioware-trolled-with-cupcakes-224813.phtml xD

Let me guess... one cupcake was blue, one was green, and one was red?Yeah bit it wasn't just 3 cupcakes. They sent over 400 lol

Kit572
09-04-2012, 03:40 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/rebake-mass-effect-bioware-trolled-with-cupcakes-224813.phtml xD

I was right about the colours! xD!

Assassin_M
09-04-2012, 03:42 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/rebake-mass-effect-bioware-trolled-with-cupcakes-224813.phtml xd

yeah bit it wasn't just 3 cupcakes. They sent over 400 lol
"eat up bi**hes !!" "we`v been waiting for so freakin long 1"

RatonhnhakeFan
09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
In the end, Bioware fixed the ending so it's all good now. But the entire thing sure was hilarious back in March xD

KH_Austin
09-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Ok, what's with the randomness with cupcakes?? I mean, I like them as you do, but come on, this is an AC forum, not an cupcake forum!! xD

Kit572
09-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Yeah bit it wasn't just 3 cupcakes. They sent over 400 lol

What the..? xD!

Why cupcakes? Are they trying to make all the bioware staff fat? xD

Kit572
09-04-2012, 03:48 PM
In the end, Bioware fixed the ending so it's all good now. But the entire thing sure was hilarious back in March xD

Did they change the ending with the director's cut? I haven't played mass effect 3 since the ending...

Assassin_M
09-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Did they change the ending with the director's cut? I haven't played mass effect 3 since the ending...
Yes they have(sorta and added another).... Fans got what they wanted...

RatonhnhakeFan
09-04-2012, 03:49 PM
It's much better now, I liked it. If it had been like that since Day 1, I doubt there would be any big controversy. If you haven't played it yet, buy new Leviathan DLC first and play it and then play the new ending, this will be the best experience

Kit572
09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Well, don't spoil the new ending for me guys because I want to see for myself!

I just don't have ME3 with me right now :(

infamous_ezio
09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
This sounds promising, i like hutchinson,he seems like a real straight shooter haha.

rileypoole1234
09-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I trust Ubi, this'll be awesome.

Mr_Shade
09-04-2012, 04:28 PM

If your sending REAL cupcakes - please CC me..

If they are ones that maybe a doggie made.. I'll pass...

De Filosoof
09-04-2012, 04:32 PM
wrapping up Desmond's story in a coherent, satisfing way is arguably the greatest challenge facing Hutchinson's team at Ubisoft Montreal. He seems well aware of this, and of the further headache of ensuring it makes sense to players who came to Assassin's Creed late, and haven't played the earlier games in the series.

I really don't get this.
What's the problem for newcomers if they make a somewhat longer intro movie than previous AC games?
I don't hope this is an excuse to make the ending less complex and detailed.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-04-2012, 04:32 PM
If your sending REAL cupcakes - please CC me..I will send them ALL to you Shade <3 IF you pass a request to AC team from me http://i48.tinypic.com/2ppndk2.gif

Blind2Society
09-04-2012, 04:37 PM
What makes me more nervous are the comments about "standalone game" and it being good for new comers to the series. The possible endings don't concern me as much because this is Ubisoft's story. Mass Effect went wrong with the endings by not giving us what we expected and what they promised. It was supposed to our Shepard and our story but in the end it wasn't. That won't be a problem for Ubi.

The other things that were terrible about ME3 I think more had to do with making the game for newcomers rather than the fans. Auto-dialog, removal of mini-games and no exploration to speak of are a few examples. I'm really hoping Ubi doesn't drop the ball on this one.

I would add that I have the utmost faith in Ubi, but, I had the utmost faith in BioWare as well.

Mr_Shade
09-04-2012, 04:39 PM
I will send them ALL to you Shade <3 IF you pass a request to AC team from me http://i48.tinypic.com/2ppndk2.gif
No Need?

just tweet them?

@assassinscreed and @ubigabe

;)

very open and transparent.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-04-2012, 04:42 PM
No Need?

just tweet them?

@assassinscreed and @ubigabe

;)

very open and transparent.I prefer you :p These Twitter accounts have thousands of followers and get quadrillion question/requests everyday, I very much doubt a lot gets through to the core dev team :p

Mr_Shade
09-04-2012, 05:08 PM
feel free then :)

my inBox is always open ;)

[wondered why there was a draft!]

ACfan443
09-04-2012, 05:54 PM
I have full faith in Ubi to deliver a decent ending. After the mass effect frenzy, the AC team will have learnt from Bioware's mistakes. Plus Alex Hutchinson seems like a sensible guy and has a lot of knowledge about video games, so that further strengthens my belief.

Sushiglutton
09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
I hope we will travel to space to plant a bomb on the abstergo satelite and then parachute down to earth with some cool rock music playing!

pacmanate
09-04-2012, 05:59 PM
I prefer you :p These Twitter accounts have thousands of followers and get quadrillion question/requests everyday, I very much doubt a lot gets through to the core dev team :p

And theres me thinking Gabe had control over the AC twitter... Also I find it funny how this thread derailed on to... cupcakes :P

Sick_one12
09-04-2012, 06:31 PM
That interview really gave me hope that ubi doesnt kill Desmond off at the end of ACIII:)But im worried about "making everything understandable for newcomers":)ACIII has to answer many questions and to understand important things you need to have played through past AC games:confused:Well I hope ubi finds the right balance:)

SixKeys
09-04-2012, 07:03 PM
What makes me more nervous are the comments about "standalone game" and it being good for new comers to the series.

I wouldn't worry about it. AC2 was also designed in a newb-friendly way. You didn't need to play the first game to be able to understand the war between the Templars and assassins or the Pieces of Eden, it just added to the overall experience. I believe that's how they're trying to approach AC3 as well. Most of the modern day stuff that took place in ACB and ACR can be explained with barely a nod, apart from Lucy.

kriegerdesgottes
09-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Interesting. I really hope they make the ending half way satisfying. I've spent 5 years and ridiculous amounts of time and money waiting to see how this game ends.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Interesting. I really hope they make the ending half way satisfying. I've spent 5 years and ridiculous amounts of time and money waiting to see how this game ends.I just don't want another cliffhanger in Desmond's story. His plot already got stretched beyond belief through 5 freaking games. Enough is enough

Time for new modern day hero! :o

andreja110s
09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
After reading that article I am just more excited about this game :D

lukaszep
09-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I've never been let down by any of the AC games.
The main plot has been pretty much planned out since the first game, so I have complete faith in them.

I think it's unreasonable for fans to be disappointed because "It's not what they were promised" or "not what they wanted". I follow the story like I would a film. I might not like it, but I let it take me wherever it wants, and just accept it as fact.

Whatever they do with the modern ending and Desmond, I'm sure I will be entertained and satisfied with the conclusion.

Ork3n
09-04-2012, 08:25 PM
DLC is the new word for $$$. ;)

The mass effective alternative end is FREE for a limited amount of time AFAIK

AdrianJacek
09-04-2012, 08:44 PM
A quote from Edge:
"It's not just Desmond's story that's been a sticking point, of course: compared to his graceful, athletic ancestors he's of meagre ability. Not only does a Desmond appearance suck you out of Ubisoft's immersive gameworld, but it also gives you a character who is less fun to control. Ubisoft has pushed the boat out with its new protagonist - Connor has 5,000 new animations, which if played end to end would last for an hour - and it's making the effort with Desmond, too."
So... much... bias...
Okay...
1. "he's of meagre ability" Someone did not play the intermission and the end credits in AC2 and the Auditore Tomb in ACB.
2. "a Desmond appearance suck you out of Ubisoft's immersive gameworld" Yeah, because it's not like the whole series in about using a machine that creates an artiffical recreation of the past events...
3. "but it also gives you a character who is less fun to control." Outside AC1 Desmond plays EXACLY like the ancestors. Yeah, you couldn't run in AC1 but you only had like 2 rooms and a bathroom to explore.

SteelCity999
09-04-2012, 08:49 PM
While I am sure Alex has some input into the story, he is the Creative Director and not the writer. Poor guy is getting labeled like he has control of the story. I can just imagine him using Corey May as a human shield, just like his game, if the ending is bad, shouting, "IT WASN'T ME, IT WASN'T ME! i JUST DID MADE IT LOOK PRETTY!"

The writes are responsible for the story and the CD is responsbile for realizing the writers vision and making an enjoyable game. The articles need to get simple stuff like this straight.

dxsxhxcx
09-04-2012, 09:41 PM
worst case scenarios:

01. Desmond dies;
02. Desmond does the same as Ezio and stop being an Assassin;

matheus_737
09-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Hey guys AC3 ending won't dessapoint us the tram is amazing, the ideas are great and everything looks so spetacular I'm no douts that I gonna cry and love the ending of Desmond's journey let's trust on the team OK

SixKeys
09-04-2012, 10:36 PM
While I am sure Alex has some input into the story, he is the Creative Director and not the writer. Poor guy is getting labeled like he has control of the story. I can just imagine him using Corey May as a human shield, just like his game, if the ending is bad, shouting, "IT WASN'T ME, IT WASN'T ME! i JUST DID MADE IT LOOK PRETTY!"

The writes are responsible for the story and the CD is responsbile for realizing the writers vision and making an enjoyable game. The articles need to get simple stuff like this straight.

Games, just like movies, are always a team effort. The writers are mostly responsible for the story, but the director can make drastic changes if he feels it's necessary. Look at what happened to the Lost Archive in ACR. They had planned for us to be playing Clay's memories and they had lots of cool ideas planned, but those had to be scrapped halfway through because the creative director decided we should be playing as Desmond.

YuurHeen
09-04-2012, 10:53 PM
lol at people already try to compare desmonds ending with me ending. it was not only that mass effect's ending sucked it also was that it broke advertisment promises. like that there wasnt a abc ending which obvious there was.

the only promise we got about desmonds end is that it will close the story of desmond. :p

SteelCity999
09-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Games, just like movies, are always a team effort. The writers are mostly responsible for the story, but the director can make drastic changes if he feels it's necessary. Look at what happened to the Lost Archive in ACR. They had planned for us to be playing Clay's memories and they had lots of cool ideas planned, but those had to be scrapped halfway through because the creative director decided we should be playing as Desmond.

They changed how it was played and not the story arc. AC:R was hindered by dev time badly and it was really an afterthought anyway. However, the story was actually good. I think the same thing with the DLC. Which would lead me to believe it was a, "you're done, we need these guys on AC3 to keep our release date". Like I alluded to, I understand they have input as to missions and overall design because sometimes things are possible and other times not so much. And yes it's team effort. BUT a CD's job is not to worry with story unless it gets in the way of gameplay. His job is to make the story and the gameplay interact so that we have fun and want to keep playing.

SixKeys
09-04-2012, 11:48 PM
They changed how it was played and not the story arc. AC:R was hindered by dev time badly and it was really an afterthought anyway. However, the story was actually good. I think the same thing with the DLC. Which would lead me to believe it was a, "you're done, we need these guys on AC3 to keep our release date". Like I alluded to, I understand they have input as to missions and overall design because sometimes things are possible and other times not so much. And yes it's team effort. BUT a CD's job is not to worry with story unless it gets in the way of gameplay. His job is to make the story and the gameplay interact so that we have fun and want to keep playing.

Not true. Jeffrey Yohalem, who wrote The Lost Archive, told in a podcast about how they had planned for Lucy's shadow to be chasing you (Clay) down in a wedding dress in the original storyline and other things like that. Completely different from what we ultimately got. It sounded like they had some really interesting story ideas planned, but because the director decided to change directions halfway through, they had to scrap a lot and come up with something simpler quickly.

Directors have a lot of input on how to present the story and can always make changes if the initial script doesn't match their vision. They are, after all, supposed to be directing the team towards a common goal. That's why they ultimately shoulder most of the responsibility when/if the game is poorly received.

kudos17
09-05-2012, 02:06 AM
worst case scenarios:

01. Desmond dies;
02. Desmond does the same as Ezio and stop being an Assassin;

Oh god, that's not even CLOSE to the worse scenario. The worst scenario of an ending is one you and I can't think of, and don't want to :p

Now, these would be unfit or even bad endings, though, I agree. Though maybe not for the same reasons.

1. Desmond dying is bad because there's no build-up. If you had some movie where the hero spends all his time talking about his willingness to do anything to stop a threat, where everyone else always talks about sacrifice, where people are always getting killed off in a war, etc. then if makes sense for the hero to die. There's a sort of poetry in that. But nothing in AC has ever been about death, not really. It's all about unraveling the truth and enlightening the world - something I expect will be played on in a good ending.

2. Desmond retiring seems weird considering he's barely been an assassin. I think we can all agree that would be a dumb ending (unless, for some reason, Assassins aren't required by the end of AC3).

My personal "pay-off" would be seeing Desmond become something... more. Like becoming the new Mentor, or finding special TWCB knowledge and safeguarding it, or sealing himself in the Grand Temple to save the world... etc etc. He doesn't have to die, but to turn that nobody in the beginning into someone who saves the world would be my satisfactory ending.

Assassin_M
09-05-2012, 02:08 AM
In the end, no Finale will satisfy EVERYONE..

Umbra_Blade
09-05-2012, 02:19 AM
My personal "pay-off" would be seeing Desmond [...] finding special TWCB knowledge and safeguarding it, or sealing himself in the Grand Temple to save the world... etc etc. He doesn't have to die, but to turn that nobody in the beginning into someone who saves the world would be my satisfactory ending.
Oh my god, this! I think that would be a great way for his story line to end :p

roostersrule2
09-05-2012, 07:00 AM
feel free then :)

my inBox is always open ;)

[wondered why there was a draft!]I see what you did there. ;)

anik_lc
09-05-2012, 08:13 AM
The mass effective alternative end is FREE for a limited amount of time AFAIK

Cause Mass Effect fans were too aggressive. EA didn't want to get their HQ destroyed! :p

AdrianJacek
09-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Hey, guys. There's a difference - Mass Effect 3 (and Ultima IX, for that matter... betrayal!) was released by EA. You know, THAT EA.

roostersrule2
09-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Hey, guys. There's a difference - Mass Effect 3 (and Ultima IX, for that matter... betrayal!) was released by EA. You know, THAT EA.EA had nothing to do with ME's story.

Umbra_Blade
09-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Hey, guys. There's a difference - Mass Effect 3 (and Ultima IX, for that matter... betrayal!) was released by EA. You know, THAT EA.

The reason ME had a ****storm for its ending, was because the whole game was about choice and decisions meaning something in the end. That was the fundamental building block of the franchise. The ending kinda went against that, with each decision you made counting for nothing and being given an A, B, or C choice. It is pretty much a franchise based on making your own individual story in the ME universe, and fans HATED the fact they were shoe-horned into an ending that 1/3 of the other players got.

AC doesn't have this problem. It is a franchise based on a singular story, that is based on history events, meaning you actually get punished if you don't play by their rules (de-sync). The only way that the ending to AC could cause a media frenzy is if it goes right against what the series is based on without justifying it. But due to all the AC's before having great endings, I have faith that this one will not buck the trend.

Sick_one12
09-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Oh god, that's not even CLOSE to the worse scenario. The worst scenario of an ending is one you and I can't think of, and don't want to :p

Now, these would be unfit or even bad endings, though, I agree. Though maybe not for the same reasons.

1. Desmond dying is bad because there's no build-up. If you had some movie where the hero spends all his time talking about his willingness to do anything to stop a threat, where everyone else always talks about sacrifice, where people are always getting killed off in a war, etc. then if makes sense for the hero to die. There's a sort of poetry in that. But nothing in AC has ever been about death, not really. It's all about unraveling the truth and enlightening the world - something I expect will be played on in a good ending.

2. Desmond retiring seems weird considering he's barely been an assassin. I think we can all agree that would be a dumb ending (unless, for some reason, Assassins aren't required by the end of AC3).

My personal "pay-off" would be seeing Desmond become something... more. Like becoming the new Mentor, or finding special TWCB knowledge and safeguarding it, or sealing himself in the Grand Temple to save the world... etc etc. He doesn't have to die, but to turn that nobody in the beginning into someone who saves the world would be my satisfactory ending.

But wouldnt "sealing himself in the grand temple" cause Desmond to die?:(

AdrianJacek
09-05-2012, 01:46 PM
The reason ME had a ****storm for its ending, was because the whole game was about choice and decisions meaning something in the end. That was the fundamental building block of the franchise. The ending kinda went against that, with each decision you made counting for nothing and being given an A, B, or C choice. It is pretty much a franchise based on making your own individual story in the ME universe, and fans HATED the fact they were shoe-horned into an ending that 1/3 of the other players got.

AC doesn't have this problem. It is a franchise based on a singular story, that is based on history events, meaning you actually get punished if you don't play by their rules (de-sync). The only way that the ending to AC could cause a media frenzy is if it goes right against what the series is based on without justifying it. But due to all the AC's before having great endings, I have faith that this one will not buck the trend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2ZxnkUHCY&feature=plcp

kudos17
09-05-2012, 02:02 PM
But wouldnt "sealing himself in the grand temple" cause Desmond to die?:(

Perhaps, perhaps not. Depends on how.

Like, maybe TWCB have a method of preserving life in a sort of frozen status, so Desmond can control things but not be physically alive, really. Or maybe he simply needs to just seal off the Temple for good, and to do that, he has to stay in it to shut it down.

I'm not saying it's a happy ending by any means, but I never really thought Assassin's Creed was good for anything but a "bittersweet victory" ending.

Not to mention, Corey May seems to do a great job of wrapping up AC games with minimal plot holes - something that was done very poorly in ME3. I have no reason to believe he won't end it well. (And most likely, unexpectedly.)