PDA

View Full Version : Have Ubisoft Spoilt Us? (Demos etc)

dewgel
09-02-2012, 02:30 PM
What's your opinion? Personally, I love seeing more and more, but a lot of fans around here are really greedy. There's so many negative remarks being made in the Gamescom Naval "Walkthrough / Talkthrough" trailer thread.

So have Ubi spoilt us this time around? I'll list what demos I had seen of all previous games before release, not including AC1 or multiplayer (There might be more, this is only what I will have seen)

Assassin's Creed II

-E3 Demo : Consisted of Carnivale, Flying Machine and Assassination of Carlo Grimaldi
-

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

-E3 Demo : Villa attack
-Gamescom Demo : Various side missions, including recruiting Assassin's, destroying a Borgia Tower and sending an Assassin on a mission
-Very short tech demo which more or less copied the E3 Trailer just without Cesare or Rodrigo.

Assassin's Creed Revelations

-E3 Demo : Greek fire mission, showing off hookblade and bombs
-Gamescom Demo : The Wounded Eagle mission, showing off new Eagle Sense features, bomb crafting, Altair mission

Assassin's Creed III

-Frontier Demo
-Boston Demo
-Naval Demo
-Gamescom Naval Demo (playable)
-Bunker Hill Demo (Behind closed doors though)

Do we need any more? Haven't we seen a nice wide variation of the game? Anything else will simply be spoiling too much for us. I know they could show us the Bunker Hill demo but, why would they? I understand it can show another aspect of the game (the 2000 NPC's and Connor assassinating a bear) but do we need to see that at this point?

For now, I'd say all we need is a nice Story Trailer, and a Launch Trailer. (And our two remaining Dev Diaries!)

TheHumanTowel
09-02-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't think we need any more demos. Pretty much yeah all I want is a Launch and Story trailer and the two other dev diaries. I don't think Ubi are spoiling us too much though in comparison to past AC games. ACR and ACB to a certain extent were much more exposed and there was a lot more info out on them than we have on AC3. We basically knew the plot of ACR before the game came out and knew every mechanic inside out thanks to trailers for every new feature. I think they've handled the release of info a lot better now. We know practically nothing about the games story and they're keeping their mouth shut about a lot of the new systems in the game.

pacmanate
09-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Well firstly that Gamescom "walkthrough/whateverthecrapthatwas" was nothing more than a trailer analysis, I don't give a flying piss what anyone says.

As for have they spoilt us, in a way yes, in a way no. They kept talking about the dev cyle and about how big the world was so seeing Frontier and Boston was good. The thing I don't like that they showed off so early was Naval. Fair enough E3 is probably the biggest gaming convention and it is where you want to show as much as possible, but there was just no need to show it then. It wasn't even like that was the end of Naval either. It was then shown at Gamescom and we then got a trailer for the bloody thing! It is really putting me off Naval which is kinda sad seeing as it would have been much more impactful if it was shown closer to release eg Pax Prime or Eurogamer.

I don't want anymore demos purely because I watch them so much over and over that come playing them myself I find it a liabilty and rush through it. it also sucks in a way when you play it because you know whats going to happen next which ruins the surprise. That being said, I don't mind watching Demos such as the Boston one, where there was not a story goal and it was more just getting from A to B. I don't mind them as they don't spoil anything.

Please for the love of God Ubisoft don't spoiler the Bunker Hill demo! I don't want to see this because I want to experience the scale of 2000 NPCS on screen on my own TV and not for it to be spoilt with crappy compression.

I just want the Dev diarys for now, I like seeing insight of the game and seeing random killing clips.

Umbra_Blade
09-02-2012, 02:40 PM
For now, I'd say all we need is a nice Story Trailer, and a Launch Trailer. (And our two remaining Dev Diaries!)

^This. I think we just need the dev diaries to finish, then just a quick summary of the game, which will probably tell us stuff we already know, but get us hyped up none the less. Then the launch trailer. That's it! NO MORE DEMOS PLEASE! Although I wouldn't say no to an interview or two, they can give you info, without really spoiling it for you, if anything they just get you more hyped :p

De Filosoof
09-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah, you have a good point there but it's kinda easy for you to say because you've played the naval demo and watched the bunker hill walkthrough ;)

ACfan443
09-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Well firstly that Gamescom "walkthrough/whateverthecrapthatwas" was nothing more than a trailer analysis, I don't give a flying piss what anyone says.

As for have they spoilt us, in a way yes, in a way no. They kept talking about the dev cyle and about how big the world was so seeing Frontier and Boston was good. The thing I don't like that they showed off so early was Naval. Fair enough E3 is probably the biggest gaming convention and it is where you want to show as much as possible, but there was just no need to show it then. It wasn't even like that was the end of Naval either. It was then shown at Gamescom and we then got a trailer for the bloody thing! It is really putting me off Naval which is kinda sad seeing as it would have been much more impactful if it was shown closer to release eg Pax Prime or Eurogamer.

I don't want anymore demos purely because I watch them so much over and over that come playing them myself I find it a liabilty and rush through it. it also sucks in a way when you play it because you know whats going to happen next which ruins the surprise. That being said, I don't mind watching Demos such as the Boston one, where there was not a story goal and it was more just getting from A to B. I don't mind them as they don't spoil anything.

Please for the love of God Ubisoft don't spoiler the Bunker Hill demo! I don't want to see this because I want to experience the scale of 2000 NPCS on screen on my own TV and not for it to be spoilt with crappy compression.

I just want the Dev diarys for now, I like seeing insight of the game and seeing random killing clips.

Couldn't have said it better myself. And a good point raised on compression, it's bloody deceptive!

LightRey
09-02-2012, 02:54 PM
I think they should do it in whatever way they want. I'm sure they have a well thought out marketing strategy. It's not about what the fans "want" anyways, however much they'd like to believe so.

BBALive
09-02-2012, 02:56 PM
No. They've showed us a lot without revealing much, which is fine in my opinion.

dewgel
09-02-2012, 02:59 PM

You are spot on the money there mate.

I remember for ACR, I watched both the demos over and over again SOOOO much, that when I eventually got the game and hit both of those missions, I was so annoyed. It felt like a chore.

I think it'll be a bit different for 3, seeing as the Frontier Demo could be played out differently, as it's not a mission until you speak to the patriot and even then you've got 3 different ways into that fort.

anik_lc
09-02-2012, 03:07 PM
There will be more than Story and Launch trailer. I am guessing a Desmond trailer. And something with End of the World plot, like can Desmond saves the World from Perishing?

pacmanate
09-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Desmond got his own trailer in Revelations so if he doesn't in his final game, where the fate of the world revolves around his actions, I will be very very surpised. IF there was a Desmond trailer I would think it would come out at Eurogamer, a month before release, then get a launch trailer mid october?

LightRey
09-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Desmond got his own trailer in Revelations so if he doesn't in his final game, where the fate of the world revolves around his actions, I will be very very surpised. IF there was a Desmond trailer I would think it would come out at Eurogamer, a month before release, then get a launch trailer mid october?
idk. I can easily imagine them completely refraining from doing so this time because it's his final game. To keep it a surprise.

AdrianJacek
09-02-2012, 04:08 PM
About AC2 demos - I think they also showed a mission in Venice - Clothes Make the Man. During Tokyo Game Show, I think.
Though in ACR I was still suprised by the villains. Really good work there.

HisSpiritLives
09-02-2012, 04:17 PM
I dont like spoilers,but this time they released enough info and trailers , and it is big game and i think they didnt reval very big part of it there are tons of secrets,we just saw one main mission,that isnt big spoiler.

LoyalACFan
09-02-2012, 06:12 PM
They've given us a huge amount of content already, so in a way, yes, they've spoiled us. I'm perfectly happy if they don't show us anything else, but these last two months are gonna go by really slowly because there won't be any more big reveals. I kind of wish they had paced out the reveals a little better (instead of giving us one gigantic heap of footage at E3) so we would still have a few surprises in store. Maybe they could have shown the Frontier demo at E3, the Boston demo at PAX, and the naval demo at Gamescom. But what's done is done... I'm just glad they've given us this much already. I never get tired of watching that flying bayonet assassination :p

HisSpiritLives
09-02-2012, 07:22 PM
They've given us a huge amount of content already, so in a way, yes, they've spoiled us. I'm perfectly happy if they don't show us anything else, but these last two months are gonna go by really slowly because there won't be any more big reveals. I kind of wish they had paced out the reveals a little better (instead of giving us one gigantic heap of footage at E3) so we would still have a few surprises in store. Maybe they could have shown the Frontier demo at E3, the Boston demo at PAX, and the naval demo at Gamescom. But what's done is done... I'm just glad they've given us this much already. I never get tired of watching that flying bayonet assassination :p

They probably wont reveal anything big until release that is for sure ,maybe just few small details. btw Yes that assassination look awsome

kriegerdesgottes
09-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Yea we really don't have much right to complain this time around. I feel they haven't told us very much about the game in general which could be a good or bad thing depending on who you are but I'll be happy with the last two developer diaries and the launch trailer.

tarrero
09-02-2012, 08:10 PM
We have been shown more demos than on previous ACīs, but UNLIKE before, almost no story spoilers have been seen, and THAT IS VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember AC2! The destiny trailer showed us Uberto Alberti leading the execution in advance, so his betrayal was pretty obvious and unsurprising, though that does not mean it did not "feel" it, so emotional......... Same with the Carnivale demo, and as well, with the ACB destruction of the villa demo.

American revolution is very plot and story wise, I expect A LOT of twists, that is why I am glad, so far, none of it has been shown.

dewgel
09-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Yea we really don't have much right to complain this time around. I feel they haven't told us very much about the game in general which could be a good or bad thing depending on who you are but I'll be happy with the last two developer diaries and the launch trailer.

Touching on that same subject, I was going to bring up another topic but I'll just leave it in here.

Do you think we'll ever get that same feeling we got when we played AC1 or AC2? I went into AC2 only having seen the Venice E3 demo.

Honestly, I couldn't get over the feeling I first got when I was playing as Ezio as a regular man, when you climbed the tower and the titles appeared, with Ezio's Family playing.

I think this time around, because I'm expecting so much and I've followed the trailers / reveals / demos / speculations from the beginning, I won't be AS excited (I'll still be excited, don't get me wrong)

Anyone else with me?

kriegerdesgottes
09-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Touching on that same subject, I was going to bring up another topic but I'll just leave it in here.

Do you think we'll ever get that same feeling we got when we played AC1 or AC2? I went into AC2 only having seen the Venice E3 demo.

Honestly, I couldn't get over the feeling I first got when I was playing as Ezio as a regular man, when you climbed the tower and the titles appeared, with Ezio's Family playing.

I think this time around, because I'm expecting so much and I've followed the trailers / reveals / demos / speculations from the beginning, I won't be AS excited (I'll still be excited, don't get me wrong)

Anyone else with me?

Good question actually I was wondering the same thing but for the opposite reason I think. I had seen every single shred of footage and previews from ACII before the game came out I was just blown away by every thing that I saw since before I was still obsessed with AC1 but my point is, I knew everything you could possibly know about ACII before it came out and I loved it to death when it came out and I'm kind of wondering if maybe it's a mistake to keep things sooo close to the chest. I understand why they are doing it and part of me thinks it's a good idea but I also almost feel like I don't know what to be excited about because they aren't telling us anything except basic things like the setting, a little about the character and minor things about the game. Honestly I feel less excited about this one and I don't know if it's because of franchise fatigue or because we don't know enough about the game for me to be all that excited or maybe it's both. I realize they have given us a ton of footage for this one. More than ever before even but we still are in the dark about most of this game.

Another thing that worries me is the marketing on this one because they seem to be really focusing hard on what are to me minor aspects of the game. Oh we have trees and you can climb them in the wilderness! ok great that's cool and all but I love the recreated cities. That's my favorite part of AC. It's like if they wanted to focus on the mountains from ACII or the kingdom in AC1. It's a cool part of the game but it's not the part most people care about. I can make the same argument with the ships. Cool I'm glad we can finally steer ships but they are focusing on that soo hard and I really just don't care that much about that. I care about the story, the recreated locations, the villain, the main character, his new abilities. So yea I am just really hoping I get that same feeling I got from ACII where as soon as I started walking through florence for the first time I knew my relationship with my gf was going to start suffering lol. I remember how the music of ACII was just so moving and perfectly done. That worries me too about this game. I guess we will have to wait and see.

dxsxhxcx
09-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I think they should make one or two trailers showing us pure gameplay without cutscenes and not involving any specific mission, just Connor walking around showing off his skills in different parts of the city/frontier, if this game is so big like they say it is, IMO it won't hurt show some other parts of the places we'll explore (as long as these places aren't "key" places like the Grand Temple for example, to avoid spoilers)...

LoyalACFan
09-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I think they should make one or two trailers showing us pure gameplay without cutscenes and not involving any specific mission, just Connor walking around showing off his skills in different parts of the city/frontier, if this game is so big like they say it is, IMO it won't hurt show some other parts of the places we'll explore (as long as these places aren't "key" places like the Grand Temple for example, to avoid spoilers)...

Hopefully we'll get a bit more of this in the next dev diary. Unfortunately, I think the fourth one is going to be dedicated to multiplayer. Which is not to say I hate the multiplayer, but in pre-release media it's just kinda... meh. Don't care about it at all until I get my hands on it.