PDA

View Full Version : Framerate in large battles.

xXRyzonXx
08-29-2012, 10:44 PM
As we know there can be several thousand npcs on screen in one battle or area.
how do you think the framerate will be in these zones, do you think it will drop significantly or?
I personally fail to see how a console can handle several thousands npc's on screen at once, without a significant drop in fps.

LoyalACFan
08-29-2012, 10:50 PM
I think it'll be fine.

Ork3n
08-29-2012, 10:51 PM
I believe that at distance the game switches the models into low poly count models. That would be very plausible ;)

Assassin_M
08-29-2012, 10:51 PM
The Engine, mate...

Without it, there wont just be a drop in Fps, but it`ll be literally impossible to pull off..
Also, part of the Polishing goes to the FPS department, If they had the slightest doubt that the FPS will cause the game to be somewhat Unplayable, then you might not be seeing ALL of this..

There MAY be a drop, though too insignificant to actually notice..

deskp
08-29-2012, 11:00 PM
These are soldiers with very specific ways of acting. Also when time comes for them to be a little more "crazy" alot of them will presumably have died from bullets.

pacmanate
08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
I think it will be fine on 360, might have trouble on PS3 but we will see. Most NPCS in those battles will be made of like 1 polygon, they wont be as detailed as say, the first 5 rows of soldiers

BBALive
08-29-2012, 11:07 PM
It's dependent on the engine. A lot of things are happening behind the scenes to keep the frame-rate constant (such as switching out the character models for low-poly variants, or maybe even sprites).

Assassin_M
08-29-2012, 11:07 PM
I think it will be fine on 360, might have trouble on PS3 but we will see. Most NPCS in those battles will be made of like 1 polygon, they wont be as detailed as say, the first 5 rows of soldiers
Please... I beg of you... do not speak in anything you know nothing about... xD

1 Polygon ? No... Do you know what a Polygon is ?:)

BBALive
08-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Please... I beg of you... do not speak in anything you know nothing about... xD

1 Polygon ? No... Do you know what a Polygon is ?:)

I think he was being sarcastic/exaggerating. At least I hope he was.

Assassin_M
08-29-2012, 11:11 PM
I dunno, man..

There`s usually a hint in the words... bu this time I didn't find any.. thus my reaction:nonchalance:

naran6142
08-29-2012, 11:17 PM
I think if there was going to be frame rate issues ubi wouldnt put thousands on screen...

Ezio_ilMentore
08-29-2012, 11:55 PM
My laptop may not stand a chance... XD

HisSpiritLives
08-30-2012, 10:56 AM
I wouldnt be concerned about that ,it is pointless.Ubisoft will probably handle that,because one of the first information on AC3 gameplay were massive battles.

pacmanate
08-30-2012, 11:45 AM

You win!

I dunno, man..

There`s usually a hint in the words... bu this time I didn't find any.. thus my reaction:nonchalance:

You lose :P. I do however wonder if the PS3 will handle the framerate. PS3 versions of AC games have always had worse frame rates than Xbox, but that said, I just remembered that they showed off the Bunker Hill demo to Esco and Shade and that was demoed on PS3, if they see this maybe they could say whether it held its own?

Stroonzje
08-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Pc *****es! 60+fps erryday erryday erryday

xXRyzonXx
08-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Pc *****es! 60+fps erryday erryday erryday

And the game nearly a month later... :P

pacmanate
08-30-2012, 05:08 PM
And the game nearly a month later... :P

You also win!

Chocoburger
08-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't see this as an issue because:

1) Kameo a launch title for Xbox 360 featured tons of enemies at once and none of them were at a distance, there were all near you while the framerate remained solid.

2) Heavenly Sword an early PS3 game also featured hundreds of enemies at once and the framerate was fine.

Neither Kameo nor Heavenly Sword came close to pushing the hardware of those respective consoles and obviously neither use the most advanced engine to date: Anvil Next.

3) If having 2,500 (is that how many AC 3 can draw at once?) characters on screen is too much, one would hope that Ubisoft developers would accept that they simply can not create a smooth playing game with that many characters and would thus lower the number down to 2,000 or 1,500 (which is still amazing).

Overall this is not going to be an issue. I hope. :)

DarkSolitude-X
08-30-2012, 11:21 PM
...I do however wonder if the PS3 will handle the framerate. PS3 versions of AC games have always had worse frame rates than Xbox...

I can honestly say that I have not noticed a framerate that stood out to me. It could be that I'm use to my ps3, but at no time did I cringe at a AC game and get mad at a framerate issue.

rileypoole1234
08-30-2012, 11:32 PM
I dunno, man..

Yeah, that was completely serious.