PDA

View Full Version : Something i wanna clear up about ACR.

De Filosoof
08-28-2012, 09:48 PM
So everybody was complaining (including me) about the Lucy's "revelation" not being included into the main game and that meeting subject 16 was a missed opportunity and felt kinda weird because we didn't get any answers from him.
It's because of this.

The original idea was that we would play Clay's memories (including Lucy's betrayal) with Desmond in the main game, it's been stated in this interview by Jeffrey yohalem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JG33LMEzKI

This is the reason why the Desmond's journey trailer was really different from the final game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4x1H8x9YSM

The creative director decided that the puzzle gameplay storyline should only be about Desmond and not about Clay.

So this is the reason why many things in ACR felt kinda f*cked-up.
I really don't hope Alex will have too much influence on the AC3 storyline, Just leave the story to the storywriters !!!

Assassin_M
08-28-2012, 09:51 PM
This is kinda old...

I'm sorry, I don't mean anything, but it is... we saw that Podcast sometime ago..

But there is always the "Didn't see it, Thanks Mate"

So ok..

LoyalACFan
08-28-2012, 09:52 PM
I really don't hope Alex will have too much influence on the AC3 storyline, Just leave the story to the storywriters !!!

This is a different Alex. The creative director of ACR was Alex Amancio, who was responsible for such atrocities as Den Defense and the Desmond's Journey f**k-up, as you said. He stepped down from his position at Ubisoft several months ago. The creative director of AC3 is Alex Hutchinson, who seems really passionate about delivering the best game possible. I have MUCH more faith in Hutchinson than I ever did in Amancio.

De Filosoof
08-28-2012, 09:52 PM
This is kinda old...

I'm sorry, I don't mean anything, but it is... we saw that Podcast sometime ago..

But there is always the "Didn't see it, Thanks Mate"

So ok..

I know, but it includes stuff that hasn't been really mentioned before, like the connection with the Desmond's journey trailer.
The intro with Desmond stabbing Lucy in the trailer makes a lot more sense now.

Assassin_M
08-28-2012, 09:54 PM
I know, but it includes stuff that hasn't really been really mentioned before, like the connection with the Desmond's journey trailer.
Sure, Whatever you say..

De Filosoof
08-28-2012, 09:56 PM
This is a different Alex. The creative director of ACR was Alex Amancio, who was responsible for such atrocities as Den Defense and the Desmond's Journey f**k-up, as you said. He stepped down from his position at Ubisoft several months ago. The creative director of AC3 is Alex Hutchinson, who seems really passionate about delivering the best game possible. I have MUCH more faith in Hutchinson than I ever did in Amancio.

I really hope so mate.
He looks like a really nice guy to me but don't know what his visions on the AC universe are.
Mystery is a very important element of the series. I hope he thinks the same about it.

Locopells
08-28-2012, 10:31 PM
I had heard this, but only recently, so thanks anyway.

I do wish they had spent the time and effort that went into the first person stuff on either the main game, or actually playing as Desmond in proper memories, though.

De Filosoof
08-28-2012, 10:39 PM
I had heard this, but only recently, so thanks anyway.

I do wish they had spent the time and effort that went into the first person stuff on either the main game, or actually playing as Desmond in proper memories, though.

Yeah, the stuff about chasing Lucy's shadow and getting followed by a faceless Lucy in a wedding dress sounds very​ interesting too.
It's really sad that it wasn't in the final game because it would've been awesome.

LoyalACFan
08-29-2012, 01:01 AM
Yeah, the stuff about chasing Lucy's shadow and getting followed by a faceless Lucy in a wedding dress sounds very​ interesting too.
It's really sad that it wasn't in the final game because it would've been awesome.

Yeah, it sounds like Amancio ruined what could have been an awesome Desmond story by opting to retell all the background crap we already knew :nonchalance: Good job, bro.

Calvarok
08-29-2012, 03:46 AM
Revelations was supposed to be a lot more fleshed out than it turned out being. If you look at interviews from when it was announced, there are a ton of features that were either cut or downgraded. And things like the opening sequence just being the trailer were never planned, an early trailer showed Ezio actually playing the part where he's captured and supposed to be hanged. This was actually also one of the earliest gameplay demos shown to the press.

I feel like they had less time than Brotherhood to work on Revs, which makes me sad, since I loved the story and setting of revelations a lot more than Brotherhood. Actually I like Revelations more than Brotherhood despite its shortcomings.

Also, to people who say Amancino ruined a good Desmond story: in the canon he still doesn't know Lucy was a traitor. So AC3 is going to need to include him finding that out. So that story is going to be told in the next game anyways, right?

Admittedly, it would be cool if he experienced 16's life and lucy's betrayal at the same time, but what's done is done. I REALLY REALLY liked the Lost Archive. It was really beautiful at times, and the way it told its story and the atmosphere dripping from its every pore was fantastic.

Kit572
08-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Which reminds me, I should probably get The Lost Archive sometime. How much is it on xBox Live? (Sorry for going off-topic).

Back on-topic: Interesting, I didn't know Desmond didn't know about Lucy being a templar (Yet, then again, I have the best excuse: I haven't got The Lost Archive DLC! ). It would be very interesting seeing how this turns out :)

AdrianJacek
08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Hmm, yeah... wait, what's that? It's like a memory in my head... it shows Den Defense and Desmond's Journey... as I played it... and I LIKED it? Holy sh*t, that's some crazy stuff!

GLHS
08-29-2012, 01:06 PM
If only we had gotten Hutchinson as CD for AC:R. AC:R is great, the problems that it does have (Den Defense, Desmond Journeys, and TLA) seem like they would have been a lot better in Hutchinson's hands.

But yeah, this podcast is quite old. Was released a few weeks after TLA, I believe.

Kit572
08-29-2012, 01:09 PM
TLA? Remind me what that stands for again?

GLHS
08-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Sorry, "The Lost Archive"

Kit572
08-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Ohhh... Okay, thanks for informing me :D

If so... Oh man, this is REALLY old news! xD

GLHS
08-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah, but this forum is known for drudging up old conversations :). Goes to show that not everybody has seen everything. Some newer members may not know certain info, and then find out once it's reposted. But I wouldn't be surprised if this eventually gets locked, since it's already been discussed.

Locopells
08-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Yeah, but if someone drags up an old thread, they get yelled at for Necroposting. What else are people gonna do, if they wanna talk about something old?

MT4K
08-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeah, but if someone drags up an old thread, they get yelled at for Necroposting. What else are people gonna do, if they wanna talk about something old?

If something comes up often enough. Necroing is fine, It serves to keep discussion in one thread, but if it is something old that hasn't been brought up constantly in the past then a new thread isn't a problem as it still gives people a chance to see it if they haven't in the past. In such cases the time is different on different places, but i like to think if a thread based on something has gone an entire month without a new reply. then a new thread is probably ok unless the old one has lots of pages on it and covered lots of the discussion already.

That's my personal take on it at least :p. Not sure if Shade or anybody else has a different view though ;).

De Filosoof
08-29-2012, 02:23 PM
If something comes up often enough. Necroing is fine, It serves to keep discussion in one thread, but if it is something old that hasn't been brought up constantly in the past then a new thread isn't a problem as it still gives people a chance to see it if they haven't in the past. In such cases the time is different on different places, but i like to think if a thread based on something has gone an entire month without a new reply. then a new thread is probably ok unless the old one has lots of pages on it and covered lots of the discussion already.

That's my personal take on it at least :p. Not sure if Shade or anybody else has a different view though ;).

Thanks :). I especially think the connection between the Desmond journey trailer and the stuff that Jeffrey has to say is quite interesting and a revelation to many people who watched the trailer before it got released, but didn't see the content in the game.

AdrianJacek
08-30-2012, 08:38 AM
The visual aesthetic in Desmond's Journey is quite possibly the most incredible thing I've seen out of video games in a while. The combination of simple geometric shapes, sublte use of color, and masterful sound direction make delving into Desmond's past an engaging experience, as opposed to more of the same out of the series. Seriously, my jaw was slack for the entirety of this part, especially the part they made look like a river.

D.I.D.
08-30-2012, 08:58 AM
The visual aesthetic in Desmond's Journey is quite possibly the most incredible thing I've seen out of video games in a while. The combination of simple geometric shapes, sublte use of color, and masterful sound direction make delving into Desmond's past an engaging experience, as opposed to more of the same out of the series. Seriously, my jaw was slack for the entirety of this part, especially the part they made look like a river.

I agree, it had some really nice touches (although only good for one play, in my view). I did like seeing what the next odd kinetic behaviour was going to be, but not enough to buy or play the DLC.

It's strongly influenced by other games. I understand why people bring up Portal 1/2, but I'm surprised more people don't recognise the aesthetics from the late stages of Half Life 2 (inside Citadel). The projections thing: maybe Splinter Cell Conviction? I can't think of an earlier game right now, so I guess one Ubisoft team can use in-house ideas from another Ubisoft team!