PDA

View Full Version : Which series is better ? GTA or AC ?

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 05:36 AM
Here`s the (me, It is what the people of this land call me) making a thread.. I reckon this will be the greatest thread.. better than any of yours`..

Read this:
Article with the question of the topic (http://www.examiner.com/article/grand-theft-auto-or-assassin-s-creed-which-series-is-better)

Now, What would you like to say to the Author of this article ?

Subject-22
08-26-2012, 05:42 AM
The thread is stupid but there is no need to call him a '

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 05:48 AM
The thread is stupid but there is no need to call him a
That wasn't meant at him.. that was at me.... .. its what they call me here..

Anyways, what do you say for the article ?

LoyalACFan
08-26-2012, 05:51 AM
That wasn't meant at him.. that was at me.... ... its what they call me here..

I didn't say you were a , I said you were BEING a .

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 05:52 AM
I didn't say you were a ******, I said you were BEING a ******.
You`re BEING off-topic..

LoyalACFan
08-26-2012, 05:54 AM
You`re BEING off-topic..

Well, the topic was obvious troll-bait anyway :p

Assassin's Creed. Easily.

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 05:55 AM
Well, the topic was obvious troll-bait anyway :p

Assassin's Creed. Easily.
Did you read the linked article ?

stargate55555
08-26-2012, 05:56 AM
The question is not really a good one simply because you cannot compare the series. One takes place in modern times as opposed to the other in ancient times. The story is quite different as well.

If you wanted to compare game series a more appropriate question would be to compare Battlefield vs. Call of Duty as both are in the same genre and very similar.

Anyways, to answer you question I haven not played GTA but I have seen quite a few videos on youtube. Still I would have to vote for AC series.

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Oh for God`s sake did anyone realize I had a linked article on the OP ??

rileypoole1234
08-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Alright M I've gotta say, you seem a little off your rocker just based on your first post... No offense:o

The comment of that article is what I was exactly what I was thinking when I read it. It shouldn't be based of sales. Obviously I like AC way more. I would even if it wasn't one of the most popular series out there now.

LoyalACFan
08-26-2012, 06:16 AM
Oh for God`s sake did anyone realize I had a linked article on the OP ??

Yes...? I was just answering the title...? The article you linked really wasn't open-ended, it just basically said "GTA sold more, so it's obviously king when it comes to profitability and popularity." Well. OK then. Facts are facts. And I stated that I liked Assassin's Creed better. Doesn't really matter which one sold more, it's just a matter of preference. We could go back to the whole CoD argument, but honestly, I'm so tired of people slamming CoD I'm not even going to go there. I prefer AC. Most other gamers prefer GTA. And the world moves on.

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 06:16 AM
Alright M I've gotta say, you seem a little off your rocker just based on your first post... No offense:o

The comment of that article is what I was exactly what I was thinking when I read it. It shouldn't be based of sales. Obviously I like AC way more. I would even if it wasn't one of the most popular series out there now.
Oh Finally.. thank you for reading the article.. everyone was thinking that im trolling, but im not I swear, Im just a ******.... by the way, whats a rocker ?

Yes...? I was just answering the title...? The article you linked really wasn't open-ended, it just basically said "GTA sold more, so it's obviously king when it comes to profitability and popularity." Well. OK then. Facts are facts. And I stated that I liked Assassin's Creed better. Doesn't really matter which one sold more, it's just a matter of preference. We could go back to the whole CoD argument, but honestly, I'm so tired of people slamming CoD I'm not even going to go there. I prefer AC. Most other gamers prefer GTA. And the world moves on.
Exactly my point, I didn't want you to answer the title of my thread.. just the article.. and you just did so thank you very much..

LoyalACFan
08-26-2012, 06:20 AM
Exactly my point, I didn't want you to answer the title of my thread.. just the article.. and you just did so thank you very much..

Erm... you're welcome? Did I really injure your psyche with the '******' remark? :(

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 06:27 AM
Erm... you're welcome? Did I really injure your psyche with the '******' remark? :(
PM

I dont want this to be off-topic;)

projectpat06
08-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Ehhh, the article was okay I guess. Assassins Creed wasn't even on last gen so it wasn't really valid to me to compare sales from San Andreas. There wasn't as much competition between multiple blockbuster game producers back during PS2 so of course people flocked to an awesome game then. GTA IV had more competition from companies trying to capture more of the market like Assassin's Creed. They both may be open world games where u can go around killing people as started in the article but so are tons of other games or franchises. There is really no reason to compare the two even on a sales basis because they attract different fan bases. Sure the Probability P (A n G) where there are fans of both games might be high, but I feel the fans enjoy AC in a different aspect than they do with GTA. Assassin's Creed fans usually have a deep appreciation of the story and history lessons and settings where as GTA fans typically like roaming around and causing havoc so the (A' n G) is typically higher.

WolfTemplar94
08-26-2012, 08:55 AM
I personally think the GTA franchise has more great games under it's belt than Assassin's Creed does at the moment. San Andreas is probably the most played free-roam game in history. Me and so many others I know have hundreds of hours spent playing that game.

The Assassin's Creed series is great storywise, but weaker when it come to gameplay. While the free-running and the combat system are really top quality, the missions just aren't as iconic as a lot of the missions from the GTA series.

Don't kill me for having a different opinion guys >.>

morpheusPrime08
08-26-2012, 08:58 AM
If you would have asked me 6 months ago(before AC3 was announced ^_^) I wold have hands down picked GTA. AC Revelations made no sense to me, they tried to take Ezio to a whole new location in only 1 year development time and everything felt very tacked on, like putting new paint on an old car! In no way was ACR worth $60 especially wth all the other AAA games coming out last fall. But AC3 has given me faith in the series again, and all the ups and downs in the past ACs have all led to this great game.

Saar Ben Kiki
08-26-2012, 09:01 AM
assassins creed is far more engaging, interesting and you study a lot while playing it and its just immersive
i say AC

HisSpiritLives
08-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I like AC a lot more, but people play more gta that is for sure, but you dont really have to understand the story of gta to love it, most of people like driving and shooting which GTA is best at this moment,, AC has great gameplay but it is focused on the story and i think that you cant really love AC games if you dont understand the story.

Free_Hidings
08-26-2012, 10:51 AM
To put it this way, I am WAY more excited for GTA 5 than AC 3.

GTA games aren't released annually. They take as long as they need to to be amazing every time. It's hard to compare as the games are very different, but overall GTA is king.

However, I find the story / music / gameplay / setting of Assassins Creed to be far more immersive. The game experience is also much more rewarding.

GTA is the better overall game by it's nature: It is a large, open world, with huge variation in vehicles and weapons, and many side missions and things to do.

Assassin's Creed is more focused and less... Free? Once you have finished the main story, short of collecting flags / animus fragments / whatever other collectables you can think of, there is hardly any point in playing, except for the occasional climb to the highest point + jump off, attacking guards, throwing civilians off the colloseum (sp.) >:) etc etc etc...

But in GTA you can continue to have fun just by driving / flying around, exploring, trying new stunts, interacting with civilians and vehicles, committing awesome suicides (bailing out of a full speed helicopter or car) there is VASTLY more content and more things to do.

As for multiplayer, I absolutely love Assassin's Creed, but once you get bored of combat, it doesn't have much to offer. I have found ways to entertain myself online in AC which are pretty hilarious, but still will only keep you amused for so long. GTA had a fantastic multiplayer also but the difference is that along with "themed" games like deathmatch / the mission type ones, you could also do a free roam across the entire map, have helicopter battles, races, whatever you could think of, with I think up to 16 people? It was truely addicting and enjoyable, much like AC but in a more flexible way.

In conclusion, it's a very tough choice... Common sense dictates that GTA is the better game as if offers far more variety, more content and a modern setting with elements such as fighting, shooting and driving which appeal to many...

But overall I think I would choose Assassin's Creed as my favourite. GTA doesn't compare in terms of immersion, which is one of the biggest factors for me in gaming. While AC may be shorter / smaller, the feel you get playing the game, the way the free running and all gameplay works, the music, the voice acting, the animations, the graphics... It's awesome. And when I am in an "on" phase with multiplayer, I can't get enough.

When I am on my next "off" phase, my opinion will probably change, but for now, <3 you AC

lukaszep
08-26-2012, 10:55 AM
On the other hand, Grand Theft Auto takes you to places around the United States from Miami, to New York, to Los Angeles, or is that Vice City, Liberty City and San Andreas?

This argument is really weak. Does the author really think the open world is better in GTA just because it's in the US? Oh dear.

It's wrong to judge a game based on sales, many great games haven't sold well at all, e.g. Mirrors Edge, Enslaved, Heavenly Sword, Resistance series, Brink.
Not only this, but games generally reached much higher numbers in terms of sales on the PS2, because it was much more accessible. The PS2 was much cheaper, the games themselves were much cheaper. GTA has also been out much longer, and the best games do continue to sell, (All previous AC games are still selling quite well).

I play AC because of it's story, and having played GTA, it's story is the only reason I don't really like it. The two franchises have many similar elements, but at the core, AC is about killing with purpose, for a greater good, with respect. GTA is about being the anti hero, murdering innocents and being reckless and generally violent. That's a turn off for me.

To sum up, examiner is, and always will be a pile of ****, and I disagree completely with the article.

HisSpiritLives
08-26-2012, 10:58 AM
This argument is really weak. Does the author really think the open world is better in GTA just because it's in the US? Oh dear.

It's wrong to judge a game based on sales, many great games haven't sold well at all, e.g. Mirrors Edge, Enslaved, Heavenly Sword, Resistance series, Brink.
Not only this, but games generally reached much higher numbers in terms of sales on the PS2, because it was much more accessible. The PS2 was much cheaper, the games themselves were much cheaper. GTA has also been out much longer, and the best games do continue to sell, (All previous AC games are still selling quite well).

I play AC because of it's story, and having played GTA, it's story is the only reason I don't really like it. The two franchises have many similar elements, but at the core, AC is about killing with purpose, for a greater good, with respect. GTA is about being the anti hero, murdering innocents and being reckless and generally violent. That's a turn off for me.

To sum up, examiner is, and always will be a pile of ****, and I disagree completely with the article.

True.

pacmanate
08-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Article was wank. And AC wins of GTA in both Graphics, Story and Character development. The arguement about not being able to kill civilians in AC was a weak point.

xXConnorzzXx
08-26-2012, 11:43 AM
This is like comparing apples to oranges, sure they're both fruit, but they are completely different fruit at that...

EscoBlades
08-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Article makes reference to vgchartz. Invalidates anything else in the article.

Slayer_WTF
08-26-2012, 11:55 AM
They are two different games, so do not feel like making a comparison.

Article makes reference to vgchartz. Invalidates anything else in the article.

Oh God, I hate the war data and sales.

EscoBlades
08-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Oh God, I hate the war data and sales.

I was being a bit harsh, but vgchartz are notorious for sourcing and quoting very wrong data, especially on sales. But yeah, as others have mentioned, they are two very different games, classed in very different genres of gaming. Making direct comparisons between the two is a little silly.

ACfan443
08-26-2012, 12:04 PM
I read the article and I think it's stupid. Firstly, like a lot of people have said, you can't judge how good a game is based on its sales, secondly you can't compare these two games, they're completely different. GTA is based on using guns, cars, helicopters etc whereas AC is about melee fighting, swords, free running, horses and historical accuracies.

notafanboy
08-26-2012, 12:05 PM
the only reason i play the gta games is so that i can be a ****** and kill the childrens dogs and show pictures of their parents doing "it"... yea

D.I.D.
08-26-2012, 12:28 PM
GTA has sold more, and each iteration of the game has always been seen as a pinnacle in games production at the time of its release. However, they don't age particularly well: the graphical quality has always been sacrificed in the creation of an immense world, and in order to have fast cars with a decent draw distance you must economise around the graphical standards of the day. GTA shows what's possible, and other companies follow in the paths they create.

In GTA's favour, I'd say they've never made a turkey. AC had the guts to make something classier from its source material while its need for a constant spotlight resulted in the patchy Revelations, whereas GTA is hamstrung by its history as the crazy comedy game. GTA IV's series suggested that Rockstar yearns to outgrow that straitjacket, and make fiction that leans more towards the serious tone of the gangster movies that inspired it. Thanks to Saints Row taking the "Family Guy" gross-out spot, Rockstar can probably achieve that at last with GTA V.

Ultimately both games successfully inspire a kind of love from the players which is relatively rare in games, so they've both hit their targets regardless of sales.

Blind2Society
08-26-2012, 02:48 PM
This is a joke right? GTA vs. AC? A pathetic game all about who can be the biggest scumbag vs. AC?

pacmanate
08-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Tbh, GTA games are not great, although I am looked forward to GTA 5. GTA just doesnt have a gripping storyline.

D.I.D.
08-26-2012, 02:55 PM
This is a joke right? GTA vs. AC? A pathetic game all about who can be the biggest scumbag vs. AC?

GTA isn't really "who can be the biggest scumbag", but at least it's on a particular moral path (negative). AC makes heroes of characters who murder hundreds of people who are just doing their jobs (although you can reduce the proportion through stealth, on occasions, but there's no penalty to playing ruthlessly) and routinely steal from people's locked chests :D [edit] In fact, you are forced to pickpocket civilians, so...

Dishonored will apparently give you a different game and a different ending depending on whether you work to kill no one except your targets, so maybe that will have an influence on AC in the future.

POP1Fan
08-26-2012, 04:23 PM
What the hell was that guy on? He compared sales and popularity of a franchise first released in the 90's and a franchise that is only 5 years old. It's not fair. I never really liked GTA mostly because I don't like sandbox games, so I have to say AC is the better series. Of course, I can also see what people find to be fun in GTA, only that it doesn't grab my attention. But the matter of fact is those two, apart from being open-world games don't really have anything in common, so you can't really compare them.

arkangelyou
08-26-2012, 04:34 PM
I prefer AC, I never got into GTA for some reason :/
Off topic: Has M finally lost it? O.o

tarrero
08-26-2012, 04:44 PM
What makes GTA shine is the replay value!!!!

xcamthemandudex
08-27-2012, 02:20 AM
No, what makes GTA a decent game is the cheat codes (because flying a car is fun). Anything else about GTA fails compared to Assassin's Creed.

SteelCity999
08-27-2012, 02:49 AM
I would like to say to the author of the article that he is an idiot. His article, or attempt at an article, pretty much says it all.

Makes you appreciate guys like Esco so much more....

LoyalACFan
08-27-2012, 03:09 AM
No, what makes GTA a decent game is the cheat codes (because flying a car is fun). Anything else about GTA fails compared to Assassin's Creed.

Hopefully we get more fun cheats in AC3. The ones we had before were kinda lame. Except unicorns and lightning swords XD

menumaxibestof
08-27-2012, 04:05 AM
First of all, I don't get the goal to compare these two franchises. AC3 and GTA V won't be released the same month, and even not the same year, so why would you try to convince people that one series is better than the other right now. There is no fight, people are not compelled to choose for one or the other.

Then, the development of his comparison doesn't have any sense. I mean, he first starts to give points in favour to one or the other franchise, and then he realize that this comparison doesn't allow him to answer the question he asked, that is to say : "which series is the best ?". So what does he do next ? He uses sales, and that's finished, the most sold is the best, GTA won the fight. Seriously ?
First, sales are not only dependent of the quality of the games. Of course it is a factor, but the marketing campaign is also one, and the popularity of the franchise through its previous iterations too. On that point, GTA was definitely more popular than AC at the time of AC1 and AC2. Assassin's Creed was an new franchise while GTA had already a strong fan base. GTA IV could have been an enormous ******** that it wouldn't have changed its success.

So using sales doesn't allow him to answer the question "which series is the best ?", but "which series is the most popular ?", and obviously he understood it according to the last sentence of the article...

The fact is that he didn't answered the question because he just can't while staying objective, what he tried to do. If he wants to stay objective, he can only judge technical points, like graphics, combat system, animations, maniability, etc... and yes, in a sense he was right, sales are objective. But a videogame is also an experience. And this is not something you can judge objectively. For example, we are in an Assassin's Creed forum, but yes, outside, there are people who don't like AC (and I agree that they should burn in hell... but that's not the point here). Tastes are not universal. I can't say "AC is better than GTA" as a fact, but only as an opinion.

So this article is a nonsense to me. It was doomed to lead to nothing and at the end, it just led to nothing.

But at least, placing the names of two great franchises in the same title is a good way to have a lot of views... He should have compared AC, GTA, CoD, FIFA and... oh and The Dark Knight Rises, all at the same time. The number of clicks would have exploded. :D

ShadowRage41
08-27-2012, 05:18 AM
He has a right to an opinion but IMHO the AC series is far more immersive than GTA, and better written. For some odd reason Rockstar games hit a lul about midway through, That was the case with LA Noir as well as most GTA games.

LoyalACFan
08-27-2012, 05:40 AM
He has a right to an opinion but IMHO the AC series is far more immersive than GTA, and better written. For some odd reason Rockstar games hit a lul about midway through, That was the case with LA Noir as well as most GTA games.

God, I remember the last third of IV being a total drag to get through. After several hours of killing generic goons for the same stereotypical, obnoxious mob boss, I started losing interest real quick.

GIONAScm2
08-27-2012, 08:26 AM
A thread about AC vs GTA on an AC forum. Hmm, no bias here at all.

If we made a thread like this back at GTAForums, there'd be contrasting responses from the thread here. There'd be those trashtalking fanboys saying that GTA is the best game ever, then there'd be those people that say GTAV i better without saying negative things about the other game, sometimes even complimenting the other game saying that they enjoy both but GTAV is better, and then there'd be those logic posts which state that you can't compare the two.

The article is horrible -- truly a bad comparison in virtually every aspect. For the record, I choose GTA any day.

anik_lc
08-27-2012, 02:43 PM
GTA is dead after San Andreas. At the moment, AC FTW.

Blind2Society
08-27-2012, 02:49 PM
For some odd reason Rockstar games hit a lul about midway through, That was the case with LA Noir as well as most GTA games.

One shining example to the contrary however, RDR. ; )

r4inm4n1991
08-27-2012, 05:00 PM
I like both, but when i play Assassin's Creed i really feel that i am playing for a purpose, i feel much more connected to the characters.
GTA is only fun, and the story is just like any other GTA, a story of a criminal who kills innocent people, or whoever goes in is way, just to have power, money and Bit...

Assassin_M
08-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Am I the only who actually likes GTA here ? I mean sure, that article is crap, but I do like GTA..Its in my top 3 taking third after Red Dead and AC..

But wow you guys.. You have some really strange views on GTA:confused:

r4inm4n1991
08-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Am I the only who actually likes GTA here ? I mean sure, that article is crap, but I do like GTA..Its in my top 3 taking third after Red Dead and AC..

I like GTA, first free-roam game i have played when i got my first computer(Vice city), BUT AC1 came out i fell in love with it.
1# AC
2# GTA

Assassin_M
08-27-2012, 05:06 PM
I like GTA, first free-roam game i have played when i got my first computer(Vice city), BUT AC1 came out i fell in love with it.
1# AC
2# GTA
Your Previous post did not indicate GTA as your number 2 game xD

r4inm4n1991
08-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Your Previous post did not indicate GTA as your number 2 game xD

Read again, ok ill help you, here: "I like both" and "GTA is only fun".

EscoBlades
08-27-2012, 05:28 PM
I really liked San Andreas. The rest never really held my attention long enough.

tarrero
08-27-2012, 07:09 PM

I do! To me assassins creed has better story, but GTA really wins in terms of replay value and side quests. So far, AC does not come remotely close to that , and as long as ubisoft goes annually, it is complicated....

ACIII might improve that though!

projectpat06
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I love Assassins Creed and I love GTA. Can't wait for either to come out. Both games are pretty immersive and awe striking for their time. I know AC3 is going to knock us off our feet in terms of the open world genre, but so far Red Dead or Grand Theft Horse beats all the other GTA and AC games in terms of this open world immersion, missions, and story IMO. I think AC3 will have the world and story down, no problem, but I really hope the missions are done well and very diverse. I really hope the side missions are more than just doing errands for people. The side missions in the past weren't all that great to me. Also I wish they would have more buildings u can go inside like a pub or something where side missions or mingames could spawn. Just something different

freddie_1897
08-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Christ, I go on holiday for two weeks and when I get back I find M acting like a completely different person. I'd better catch up with the world as there was no wi-fi in my hotel in Rome.

Rip Neil and that guy who wanted the right to die. Naughty Harry. Bad al Assad, don't decapitate people. News goes too quickly, has prince Philip died yet? Was the Olympic closing ceremony any good?

ShadowRage41
08-27-2012, 07:50 PM
One shining example to the contrary however, RDR. ; )

I am in agreement with you on this.. Red Dead was an exceptional game. XD. one of my all time favorite games.

Locopells
08-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Christ, I go on holiday for two weeks and when I get back I find M acting like a completely different person. I'd better catch up with the world as there was no wi-fi in my hotel in Rome.

Rip Neil and that guy who wanted the right to die. Naughty Harry. Bad al Assad, don't decapitate people. News goes to quickly, has prince Philip died yet? Was the Olympic closing ceremony any good?

Hey, Freddie, long time, no see. I get what you mean though, I've only been away for four days, and NA dies! And no. he hasn't, and yes. it was. They got the Spice Girls back together!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19240029

And we're getting somewhat off-topic. I bumped the Off-Topic thread.

HisSpiritLives
08-27-2012, 07:52 PM
I love Assassins Creed and I love GTA. Can't wait for either to come out. Both games are pretty immersive and awe striking for their time. I know AC3 is going to knock us off our feet in terms of the open world genre, but so far Red Dead or Grand Theft Horse beats all the other GTA and AC games in terms of this open world immersion, missions, and story IMO. I think AC3 will have the world and story down, no problem, but I really hope the missions are done well and very diverse. I really hope the side missions are more than just doing errands for people. The side missions in the past weren't all that great to me. Also I wish they would have more buildings u can go inside like a pub or something where side missions or mingames could spawn. Just something different

I agree about buildings, what type of side missions would you like in game???

freddie_1897
08-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Hey, Freddie, long time, no see. I get what you mean though, I've only been away for four days, and NA dies! And no. he hasn't, and yes. it was. They got the Spice Girls back together!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19240029

And we're getting somewhat off-topic. I bumped the Off-Topic thread.
coolio. the only thing i saw from the closing ceremony was john lennon and some ginger guy murdering a pink floyd song :mad:

ToniTorsi
08-27-2012, 09:32 PM
You can not say GTA sucks without looking at the backlog of games and features Rockstar has represented.

They have INMENSELY refined and evolved their developing skills since GTA 4, which currently holds a 98 score in metacritic (highest scoring game this generation)

They have gone through Red Dead Redemption, which introduced the innovational animal ecosystem to Open World games which many high profile games are adopting now and upped the ante for for immersion and open world game aspects. RDR singlehandely evolved Open World games. There's no other way to say that when praising RDR.

Then they introduced the jaw-dropping best facial animation system with LA Noire.

Then Rockstar ups the standard for Animations in video games with Max Payne 3 . Whose feature along with Uncharted's, is regarded as one of the best ever seen on consoles

Having taken a recession from GTA (their biggest and most challenging IP), they're coming back to bring out their big guns and proudly exhibit what they have learned from their previous work. GTA 5 will be a marvel in gaming because the public knows they will deliver a well developed Open World game that excels in many areas.

If you compare GTA and AC and say AC is better, every veteran Reviewer in this industry will not hesitate to disagree with you. Rockstar has found their "medium" with their IP(s) and know exactly how to execute it and Excel at it. Ubisoft has has been struggling to find their sweet spot and their medium with AC games because it's been sort of a game of trial and error for them to see "what works, and what doesn't". (AC:B drifting off of the original idea of AC 1 and AC 2, AC:R tower defense, First Person View, etc)

Plus comparing each side to side (scores wise), AC scores have dropped substantially with each installment as opposed to GTA whose installments keep scoring higher and higher. Hell, Rockstar's IPs has yet to score under AAA (9.0 and below) quality this generation.

I love and support both developers equally, but If we are to compare each developer's work, we have to give credit where it's due. Rockstar has been in the game for a very long time and KNOW HOW TO PLAY IT.

Locopells
08-27-2012, 09:51 PM
I like both. You can't really compare, they're both totally different. As for AC's score dropping, don't take that as a trend - AC3 will pretty much blow everything since ACII out of the water, so...

ToniTorsi
08-27-2012, 10:01 PM
I like both. You can't really compare, they're both totally different. As for AC's score dropping, don't take that as a trend - AC3 will pretty much blow everything since ACII out of the water, so...

That does not dictate anything does it?

GTA's scores have surpassed it's predecessor's whereas AC scores have dropped with each installment.

But that is not bad at all, since that's how we learn from our mistakes: trial and error. I'm more than 110% positive ACIII will be a benchmark in gaming ;)

Edit* yay me for my 100th post hehe :p

tarrero
08-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Up to this point Rockstar has the edge,

Locopells
08-27-2012, 10:30 PM
GTA's scores have surpassed it's predecessor's whereas AC scores have dropped with each installment.

But that is not bad at all, since that's how we learn from our mistakes: trial and error. I'm more than 110% positive ACIII will be a benchmark in gaming

The difference with AC though, is that ACB and ACR were smaller expansion games (with the trial and error) then AC1 and AC2, as opposed to the like of GTA:SA and GTA:VC which are full-sized games that didn't try anything too daring (like Den Defence in ACR). I'd like to see that statement in 10 years...

YuurHeen
08-27-2012, 10:41 PM
I would say fallout being the best open world game and then gta and then ac.

tarrero
08-27-2012, 11:01 PM
I am going to be attacked for this, but Rockstar takes at least a two year break and even more from release to release, whereas Ubisoft has been milking the franchise since 2010........

Every game GTA has a bigger map, more modes and things to do than its predecesor. On the contrary, AC maps have shrieking since AC2, and mostly on revelations, the side quests were minimal.....

Rockstar really exploits every setting to its maximum. Think about of all the stuff you could have done in AC following RDR and GTA footsteps. Ubisoft including modes like jousting and horse races, After all, Ezio was a noble, they used to do things like that back in the day, and not only during side quests but on the main story as well, Ezio could have competed against Vieri.....

That is why, from what been the devps have said, I have such high hopes for AC3, and the many things they claim you can do.

ToniTorsi
08-27-2012, 11:06 PM
The difference with AC though, is that ACB and ACR were smaller expansion games (with the trial and error) then AC1 and AC2, as opposed to the like of GTA:SA and GTA:VC which are full-sized games that didn't try anything too daring (like Den Defence in ACR). I'd like to see that statement in 10 years...

We'll see bub :mad:

projectpat06
08-28-2012, 06:40 AM
In terms of Open world games that have left the biggest impact on me so far, I'd say Skyrim then Red Dead then Arkham City then Assassins Creed 2. I have this weird feeling similar to the one I had right before Red Dead came out that this game will set a new bar for open world games. It may beat Red Dead for me. Skyrim was a game I never got hyped about but got it as a gift and said goodbye to life. Of course ocarina of time will always hold a spot in open world games since it was my first.

Locopells
08-28-2012, 11:38 AM
I am going to be attacked for this, but Rockstar takes at least a two year break and even more from release to release, whereas Ubisoft has been milking the franchise since 2010........

Every game GTA has a bigger map, more modes and things to do than its predecesor. On the contrary, AC maps have shrieking since AC2, and mostly on revelations, the side quests were minimal.....

But that's the whole point, as I've been saying - Ubi HAVE taken at least a two year break for ACIII. The un-numbered games have just been a continuation of ACII, the main game, they've been working on for some time.

That is why, from what been the devps have said, I have such high hopes for AC3, and the many things they claim you can do.

Ditto

POP1Fan
08-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Rockstar is as old as my grand-mother, much richer than Ubisoft, has a solid and HUGE fanbase, usually takes more time to release games than Ubisoft. Still, except Max Payne, I don't think I ever truly enjoyed a game made by them. Of course you can't compare GTA to AC.
To me, Rockstar's games always feel the same. They don't evolve and eventually become stale.

PS: I don't care what the ratings are. The people that rate games are still the ones who buy Mario and Zelda games.

HisSpiritLives
08-28-2012, 04:14 PM
In terms of Open world games that have left the biggest impact on me so far, I'd say Skyrim then Red Dead then Arkham City then Assassins Creed 2. I have this weird feeling similar to the one I had right before Red Dead came out that this game will set a new bar for open world games. It may beat Red Dead for me. Skyrim was a game I never got hyped about but got it as a gift and said goodbye to life. Of course ocarina of time will always hold a spot in open world games since it was my first.

In my opinion those 3 you mentioned cant get even close to AC2 for many reasons.

HisSpiritLives
08-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Rockstar is as old as my grand-mother, much richer than Ubisoft, has a solid and HUGE fanbase, usually takes more time to release games than Ubisoft. Still, except Max Payne, I don't think I ever truly enjoyed a game made by them. Of course you can't compare GTA to AC.
To me, Rockstar's games always feel the same. They don't evolve and eventually become stale.

PS: I don't care what the ratings are. The people that rate games are still the ones who buy Mario and Zelda games.

I tottaly agree with you. and soory for double post

POP1Fan
08-28-2012, 04:28 PM
In my opinion those 3 you mentioned cant get even close to AC2 for many reasons.

Looks like I have to agree with you now (except Skyrim).
Arkham City was not so big, but there were lots of stuff going on. But since most of the things you could do were Riddler Challenges it became tedious after a while because there were to many.
Red Dead Redemption is GTA with cowboys.
But to Skyrim I must say that it had a huge map, lots of quests, lots of things to do. I don't really like it, but as an open-world game it dominates.

SteelCity999
08-28-2012, 04:58 PM
I have never played GTA and probably won't but based on what has been posted, the two franchises are too different and the publishers have two different mindsets about their respective franchise. Making arguments that one is superior over the other has to be difficult because it appears that they are fundamentally different as well. I played RDR and thought it was a solid game but it in no way peaked my interest or kept my interest like AC. RDR was a point A to point B game with a bunch of stuff thrown in between for good measure. It was more of an exercise in what we could have Marston do as opposed to say what has happened to Ezio over his life and why and how that story affects the present day narrative and fits in. You did stuff to do it. I could never get into Skyrim. Maybe because it was after I played AC but I was utterly bored and wasn't impressed graphically or gameplay-wise. If GTA is in the vein of RDR, I can understand its mass appeal. Rockstar seems to typically put out solid games that follow a specific formula. AC keeps me interested and involved across releases which is hard to do.

AC3 is immensely important to the franchise because if it is not received as well as the hype that has been created, it could be extremely detrimental going forward - you would have to wonder when they would begin to deliver something different and unique then. Not saying that's going to happen but you can understand the pressure that's on the dev team.

HisSpiritLives
08-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Looks like I have to agree with you now (except Skyrim).
Arkham City was not so big, but there were lots of stuff going on. But since most of the things you could do were Riddler Challenges it became tedious after a while because there were to many.
Red Dead Redemption is GTA with cowboys.
But to Skyrim I must say that it had a huge map, lots of quests, lots of things to do. I don't really like it, but as an open-world game it dominates.

I was talking about overvall.

ToniTorsi
08-28-2012, 05:52 PM
I have never played GTA and probably won't but based on what has been posted, the two franchises are too different and the publishers have two different mindsets about their respective franchise. Making arguments that one is superior over the other has to be difficult because it appears that they are fundamentally different as well. I played RDR and thought it was a solid game but it in no way peaked my interest or kept my interest like AC. RDR was a point A to point B game with a bunch of stuff thrown in between for good measure. It was more of an exercise in what we could have Marston do as opposed to say what has happened to Ezio over his life and why and how that story affects the present day narrative and fits in. You did stuff to do it. I could never get into Skyrim. Maybe because it was after I played AC but I was utterly bored and wasn't impressed graphically or gameplay-wise. If GTA is in the vein of RDR, I can understand its mass appeal. Rockstar seems to typically put out solid games that follow a specific formula. AC keeps me interested and involved across releases which is hard to do.

AC3 is immensely important to the franchise because if it is not received as well as the hype that has been created, it could be extremely detrimental going forward - you would have to wonder when they would begin to deliver something different and unique then. Not saying that's going to happen but you can understand the pressure that's on the dev team.

Basically, to summarize your points, GTA has more open world aspects and AC is more about the gameplay?. Which is something I could strongly agree on.

Both are each others positive and negatives. Imagine GTA with a strong focus on gameplay or imagine AC with instense, strong open world aspects that give it limitless replay value.

But you see, Rockstar's developing ethics have morphed to a more quality-esque cinematic action slash/ open world slash/ a touch of realistic, as opposed to the San Andrea era where it was crazy and random. Point being= they're becoming a quadruple threat. They are becoming distinguished and exceptional at what they do especially on the Animation front. Not to mention (which is another significant plus), they have an astonishing (Euphoria) engine that do physics, graphics, animations, sounds to a far more omnipotent level than Montreal's Anvil engine

Here is how

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87qdmuOesRs&list=FLeHGwUjU7QA_aa-Lxu7n-Tg&index=1&feature=plpp_video

So frankly, with all the points I've already emphasized on, I'd like to point out again that Rockstar has been the predominant force behind Open World games since the start of the new millennium. They're making sure their assets and Execution stays top notch and ahead of the pack. They are a richer and bigger company with more assets and more people at their disposal, which you know....is why they've been pretty darn efficient at what they do.

Nonetheless, Ubisoft has made their mark and voice be heard. ACIII and Watch Dogs will be intense, INTENSE competition to Rockstar. It will be very interesting to see how this new, potential rivalry plays out ;)

POP1Fan
08-28-2012, 06:02 PM
I was talking about overvall.

Well, except the part where I said I agree with you it wasn't really directed at you. I only wanted to share WHY I feel like that.

Assassin_M
08-28-2012, 06:04 PM
I need to make thread about 'Open-World"

I wanna hear your views on "Open-World"

So... can someone close this ?

Locopells
08-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Don't invoke the great god Moderator, unless you really need to...

SteelCity999
08-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Basically, to summarize your points, GTA has more open world aspects and AC is more about the gameplay?. Which is something I could strongly agree on.

Both are each others positive and negatives. Imagine GTA with a strong focus on gameplay or imagine AC with instense, strong open world aspects that give it limitless replay value.

But you see, Rockstar's developing ethics have morphed to a more quality-esque cinematic action slash/ open world slash/ a touch of realistic, as opposed to the San Andrea era where it was crazy and random. Point being= they're becoming a quadruple threat. They are becoming distinguished and exceptional at what they do especially on the Animation front. Not to mention (which is another significant plus), they have an astonishing (Euphoria) engine that do physics, graphics, animations, sounds to a far more omnipotent level than Montreal's Anvil engine

Here is how

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87qdmuOesRs&list=FLeHGwUjU7QA_aa-Lxu7n-Tg&index=1&feature=plpp_video

So frankly, with all the points I've already emphasized on, I'd like to point out again that Rockstar has been the predominant force behind Open World games since the start of the new millennium. They're making sure their assets and Execution stays top notch and ahead of the pack. They are a richer and bigger company with more assets and more people at their disposal, which you know....is why they've been pretty darn efficient at what they do.

Nonetheless, Ubisoft has made their mark and voice be heard. ACIII and Watch Dogs will be intense, INTENSE competition to Rockstar. It will be very interesting to see how this new, potential rivalry plays out ;)

Fair enough. However, I would question the inclusion of certain technical elements like graphics and physics, etc. because those are inherent issues in every game. Unless those elements are so out of touch with the other or make a detrimental impact on the game, I think they should almost be a wash. I wouldn't call Uncharted 3 a superior game just because it's graphics and animations look so much better than AC or even GTA. I think we have to try and compare more of the things that are relevant between the two games like mission design, story and replayability. Like in the OP, sales is not a great indicator of what is best for alot of things - just look at the movie industry, apples to oranges all of the time. We tend to compare things based on the easiest measuring stick which is not always the best one.

Ashen-AngelFox
08-28-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't really have an opinion on this one way or the other as I've never played, or even really cared to play GTA. I do, however, agree that graphics aren't a good measure of greatness or anything like that.

No, I really just want to provide some clarification on something ToniTorsi mentioned. They mentioned the Euphoria engine and while it's a fantastic engine, I don't think it works with the comparison, even if it could be considered viable. The Scimitar, Anvil and AnvilNext engines are built by Ubisoft, they're proprietary. Euphoria is built by NaturalMotion and licensed to Rockstar for their use.

Also, the AnvilNext engine is a more total engine than Euphoria. AnvilNext handles pretty much everything from the the weather to the dynamic game world as well as the 2000+ NPCs on screen at once. Euphoria is a human physics engine. It only governs the physics of human characters, but not the graphics. The biggest thing about it is that it negates the need for the "ragdolls" and canned animations, like most games including AC.

But this is all just clarification, for anybody. I also think, if graphics and engines could be factored in, that it should be noted that all AC games have used Scimitar, Anvil or AnvilNext, whereas currently only GTA IV and possibly it's expansions or whatever they're called use it. GTA V might, but I've not heard yet.

(Note1: RDR and Max Payne 3 use Euphoria as well, but this discussion pertains to AC and GTA)
(Note2: Scimitar was the name of the engine when AC1 was released and is not completely random)

Assassin_M
08-28-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't really have an opinion on this one way or the other as I've never played, or even really cared to play GTA. I do, however, agree that graphics aren't a good measure of greatness or anything like that.

No, I really just want to provide some clarification on something ToniTorsi mentioned. They mentioned the Euphoria engine and while it's a fantastic engine, I don't think it works with the comparison, even if it could be considered viable. The Scimitar, Anvil and AnvilNext engines are built by Ubisoft, they're proprietary. Euphoria is built by NaturalMotion and licensed to Rockstar, which leaves the Rockstar devs with more time to work on other aspects of the game whereas some dev time on the AC games is dedicated to building, innovating and overhauling their engine, depending on which AC title you're talking about.

Also, the AnvilNext engine is a more total engine than Euphoria. AnvilNext handles pretty much everything from the the weather to the dynamic game world as well as the 2000+ NPCs on screen at once. Euphoria is a human physics engine. It only governs the physics of human characters, but not the graphics. The biggest thing about it is that it negates the need for the "ragdolls" and canned animations, like most games including AC.

But this is all just clarification, for anybody. I also think, if graphics and engines could be factored in, that it should be noted that all AC games have used Scimitar, Anvil or AnvilNext, whereas currently only GTA IV and possibly it's expansions or whatever they're called use it. GTA V might, but I've not heard yet.

(Note1: RDR and Max Payne 3 use Euphoria as well, but this discussion pertains to AC and GTA)
(Note2: Scimitar was the name of the engine when AC1 was released and is not completely random)
Uhhh.. Rcokstar has its own engine in GTA IV.. Its called "RAGE" (Rockstar Advanced Game engine).. so yeah Rockstar did indeed develop its own engine..

Euphoria is Indeed an Animation engine, but RAGE is the main engine..

Ashen-AngelFox
08-28-2012, 07:57 PM
I am aware of this, but ToniTorsi only mentioned Euphoria, so it's the only one I spoke of.

I've also edited my post already to remove the parts that imply Rockstar has no overall game engine. But again, they compared the Anvil family to Euphoria, so I did as well. I don't know enough about RAGE to discuss them, so I made no attempt.

I apologize for any confusion.

Assassin_M
08-28-2012, 08:01 PM
I am aware of this, but ToniTorsi only mentioned Euphoria, so it's the only one I spoke of.

I've also edited my post already to remove the parts that imply Rockstar has no overall game engine. But again, they compared the Anvil family to Euphoria, so I did as well. I don't know enough about RAGE to discuss them, so I made no attempt.

I apologize for any confusion.

No worries.

Indeed its the edited parts that prompted my response, but thank you for clarifying nonetheless..

De Filosoof
08-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Assassin's creed without any doubt.

It's more creative, better storyline, deeper, better soundtracks, more memorable protagonists, old/ancient cities instead of those ugly modern day cities like New york, better textures, changing seasons, more varied game world, do i have to keep going?

Assassin_M
08-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Assassin's creed without any doubt.

It's more creative, better storyline, deeper, better soundtracks, more memorable protagonists, old/ancient cities instead of those ugly modern day cities like New york, better textures, changing seasons, more varied game world, do i have to keep going?
Thats all in your Opinion, right ?:p

De Filosoof
08-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Thats all in your Opinion, right ?:p

Ofcourse :).

Edit: Oh and i forgot about the awesome freerunning/parkour/climbing ofcourse.

ToniTorsi
08-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Fair enough. However, I would question the inclusion of certain technical elements like graphics and physics, etc. because those are inherent issues in every game. Unless those elements are so out of touch with the other or make a detrimental impact on the game, I think they should almost be a wash. I wouldn't call Uncharted 3 a superior game just because it's graphics and animations look so much better than AC or even GTA. I think we have to try and compare more of the things that are relevant between the two games like mission design, story and replayability. Like in the OP, sales is not a great indicator of what is best for alot of things - just look at the movie industry, apples to oranges all of the time. We tend to compare things based on the easiest measuring stick which is not always the best one.

Aha. ;)

You are right. To get to the decisive factor that measures up if apples are indeed better than oranges or vice versa...we have to observe the comparison from a more explicit perspective. In which case would be, like you stated, story/mission design/ etc, etc.

GTA 4 had a new implemented mechanic where it was up to the player to make the peremptory decision on how the mission would confine. Quite the unperceived gameplay element that you wouldn't anticipate Rockstar to account from their anterior development ethic. So that's minuscule detail that changes things quite a lot.

And to further add to that (before I forget! :p), over the past few weeks there have been leaks/rumors detailing how Rockstar wants to expand on this feature. Similar to Bioware, I assume Rockstar wants to expand their formula to more player oriented tone where it gives Freedom to the player to choose the outcome of certain things. This alone, is a stupendous form of mission design if you ask me.

Make no mistake, I'll give the story to AC. But Story Telling, to Rockstar.

The pace in past AC installments haven't fully exhibit scenes correctly or gave the chance for characters to express their emotions competently. Mostly noticeable with AC:B.

Rockstar builds essence and accurately shows growth and progress in every cutscene of GTA 4.

I mean come on, they are the makers of LA Noire, the most astonishing facial animations ever found in video games. With this tech, they sure as heck have learned a few tricks as to how to conduct better facial animations, even with or without the tech, the which I'm sure they'll put to legit use in GTA5.

See mate? Do you Notice a pattern? Rockstar has big guns to do their stuff, they know how their visions and assets can move with this industry without going overboard and see success out of it.

In my humble opinion, Ubi needs to stick to what their original vision was for AC and work their way around with that. They took off amazingly with AC2, but I got the sensation that they got stucked on how to progress forward.
I'd say, Focusing on the aspects of what an assassin can do is what they should organize to target. Improving their skills to make an open world game more immersive...more alive, TO OBSERVE how certain features have commercially performed well for their competitors and implement a counter attack to that with their own magic touch, Improve their flawed story telling skills, find new ways to make the gameplay fresh, challenging and therefore entertaining, EMPHASIZE on paying attention to little details which is the key to a more realistic tone to certain factors (it has done wonders to Naughty Dog and Rockstar), Bring new gameplay ideas that is able to make the game better.... not defective. And stuff like that.

But it's not all doom and the gloomz for them now it it? ;)

They seem to have gotten the right idea with AC3. Everything seems to be on-point.
It contains stackable side quests, animal ecosystem, improved facial animations, flawless blending of new animations, a colossal array of combat options, a greater focus on stealth, capacious open world. They are carefully paying attention and attentiveness to their faults and looking for ways to improvise that.

Let's just hope, like you so adamantly affirmated, that AC3 is received with positive feedback because if not, it will be injurious and disadvantageous for Ubisoft.

Assassin_M
08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
I mean come on, they are the makers of LA Noire, the most astonishing facial animations ever found in video games. With this tech, they sure as heck have learned a few tricks as to how to conduct better facial animations, even with or without the tech, the which I'm sure they'll put to legit use in GTA5.

That should be accredited to team Bondi and not Rockstar.. They(Rockstar) only published the game..

ToniTorsi
08-28-2012, 09:41 PM
That should be accredited to team Bondi and not Rockstar.. They(Rockstar) only published the game..

Rockstar was the one who funded the development of the game. Furthermore, Team Bondi utilized their Rage engine for their work. So in the end, it was Rockstar who gave the green light for these folks to work their magic. Part of the credit should go to Rockstar too wouldn't it? ;)

projectpat06
08-28-2012, 09:43 PM
And I don't think they will ever work together again so that may be a set back on the facial animations

http://www.techdigest.tv/2011/07/rockstar_split.html

Assassin_M
08-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Rockstar was the one who funded the development of the game. Furthermore, Team Bondi utilized their Rage engine for their work. So in the end, it was Rockstar who gave the green light for these folks to work their magic. Part of the credit should go to Rockstar too wouldn't it? ;)
Just a small part of the credit... The main credit goes to Team Bondi and No, Team Bondi developed their entire engine from scratch, sure they had a few tips and funding from Rockstar, but they did not "utilize" their engine..

Your Post explicitly stripped Team Bondi of any credit what so ever, and gave WHOLE credit solely to Rcokstar which is Unfair..

SteelCity999
08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
@ToniTorsi...

In support of some of the points you bring up, when you try and compare these franchises you need to also understand that both franchises are are in different stages of their life cycles. GTA is probably middle aged and living the good life whereas AC is trying to get out of college and figure out what it truly wants to be. The extra years in between releases for GTA have multiple benefits in addition to the added development time since they also have more time to react to industry trends. AC has admittedly been sort of a mill the last 2 years and has not benefited from extra dev time but I do expect to see advancement in AC3. I think that's why when comparing sales and number of releases, it becomes hard to be fair. GTA was deliberate and wasn't so much concerned with making money each and every year whereas Ubi is in that mindset with AC.

ToniTorsi
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Just a small part of the credit... The main credit goes to Team Bondi and No, Team Bondi developed their entire engine from scratch, sure they had a few tips and funding from Rockstar, but they did not "utilize" their engine..

Your Post explicitly stripped Team Bondi of any credit what so ever, and gave WHOLE credit solely to Rcokstar which is Unfair..

Then accept my humble apologies? ;)

I overlooked that little part in all seriousness. But I assume Rockstar remained with the tools/license of the facial tech? Since Team Bondi filed for bankruptcy.

Assassin_M
08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Then accept my humble apologies? ;)

I overlooked that little part in all seriousness. But I assume Rockstar remained with the tools/license of the facial tech? Since Team Bondi filed for bankruptcy.
No worries.. you do not have to apologize:D Its just a world-wide mistake. People always credit LA Noire`s creation to Rockstar..

And yes, Rockstar can still make more LA Noires, because, as you said, they have the license and many of Bondi`s former Workers have blended into Rockstar..

So LA N is not dead, yet

Mr_Shade
08-29-2012, 11:44 AM
locking at OP request.