PDA

View Full Version : How will animals spawn/life?

Ielgon
08-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows how the animals system works. Will there always be a certain number of a certain animal in the frontier and will the game randomly spawn a new one when one dies? And Connor getting ambushed by wolves in the frontier demo looked scripted, but will there also be random encounters like that? Will there be certain conditions to be met before something happens (like in the frontier demo: Chase deer > Kill deer > Wolves)? And will animals just go around doing scripted things or will they only start doing things once Connor gets within a certain distance and then when he's far enough away "deactivate" again?

What do you guys know/think?

Edit: and I just realised I spelled the thread title wrong, it should be live instead of life! >.<

pacmanate
08-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Lots of things in demos you wont see in the game as they are made to showcase lots of things, the wolves for example. There will be random spawns of animal in AC3 just like in Red Dead Redemption however you will have to track these animals down. This will be down to noise and to following footprints.

HisSpiritLives
08-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows how the animals system works. Will there always be a certain number of a certain animal in the frontier and will the game randomly spawn a new one when one dies? And Connor getting ambushed by wolves in the frontier demo looked scripted, but will there also be random encounters like that? Will there be certain conditions to be met before something happens (like in the frontier demo: Chase deer > Kill deer > Wolves)? And will animals just go around doing scripted things or will they only start doing things once Connor gets within a certain distance and then when he's far enough away "deactivate" again?

What do you guys know/think?

Edit: and I just realised I spelled the thread title wrong, it should be live instead of life! >.<

They will definetly spawn randomly but there wont be limited number of animals for sure

SteelCity999
08-25-2012, 11:52 PM
RDR also had certain animals in certain areas of the map. Sometimes you found them and sometimes you didn't as well. I would expect that they will follow this example to some extent since they like to copy stuff.

jzsnyder
08-26-2012, 12:02 AM
RDR also had certain animals in certain areas of the map. Sometimes you found them and sometimes you didn't as well. I would expect that they will follow this example to some extent since they like to copy stuff.

Some animals in RDR were limited, too. For instance, the water buffalo in the Great Plains area of the map could be found randomly frolicking. If you killed off enough of them, they would never appear in the game world again.

Calvarok
08-26-2012, 04:23 AM
They won't run out, other than that we know nothing about the spawning system. It's possible that certain side-quests will spawn them, and certain missions will for sure.

DarthEzio55
08-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Are their Going to be mythical animals we could hunt? Kinda like in Rdr, we hunted Brutus the bear, Khan the jaguar, Gordo the Boar, and the wolf whose name escapes at the moment

LoyalACFan
08-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Are their Going to be mythical animals we could hunt? Kinda like in Rdr, we hunted Brutus the bear, Khan the jaguar, Gordo the Boar, and the wolf whose name escapes at the moment

It was Lobo. Spanish for wolf ;) Anyway, I hope so. Nothing too outlandish, like Jackalopes or Bigfoot, but maybe just a really big bear or a notoriously aggressive mountain lion.

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 04:55 AM
It was Lobo. Spanish for wolf ;) Anyway, I hope so. Nothing too outlandish, like Jackalopes or Bigfoot, but maybe just a really big bear or a notoriously aggressive mountain lion.
Outlandish is Outlandish... I hope we got a bloody Raptor

DarkDreamer95
08-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Outlandish is Outlandish... I hope we got a bloody Raptor

Amen :P

At least as an Unlockable cheat ^.^

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Amen :P

At least as an Unlockable cheat ^.^
or a side-story:p like RDR:UN with the Sasquatch..

Just imagine... FRIGGIN EPIC !!

You eat babies..

projectpat06
08-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Yeah a Sasquatch side mission or easter egg would be awesome. Randomly coming across footprints and just barely getting a glimpse from afar but never actually able to encounter him. That would be pretty cool.

Serrachio
08-26-2012, 09:06 AM
I think there may be certain areas that you can unlock once you progress far enough in the Hunting Club that was mentioned, each with some unique animals there, but I don't think we'll run out of animals to hunt, because that would be rather boring, and the means of gaining pelts to use in the economic system would then be finite.

I did hear that they made the animal's behaviour dynamic, so wolves could attack soldiers or chase after deer in the forest, and I think they also mentioned that it'd look very natural, with it happening while Connor isn't around, so who knows?

HisSpiritLives
08-26-2012, 09:14 AM
I wouldnt like if you have a limited number of animals in AC.

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 09:17 AM
That cant happen..

The Frontier is crowded with animals, they are what give it life. they are rendered to a fixed amount in the world, you kill one, another of the same pops somewhere else. think of it like the NPCs. No matter how much you kill, they`re still there..

HisSpiritLives
08-26-2012, 09:31 AM
That cant happen..

The Frontier is crowded with animals, they are what give it life. they are rendered to a fixed amount in the world, you kill one, another of the same pops somewhere else. think of it like the NPCs. No matter how much you kill, they`re still there..

Seems logical to me.

Ielgon
08-26-2012, 12:09 PM
I think there may be certain areas that you can unlock once you progress far enough in the Hunting Club that was mentioned, each with some unique animals there, but I don't think we'll run out of animals to hunt, because that would be rather boring, and the means of gaining pelts to use in the economic system would then be finite.

I did hear that they made the animal's behaviour dynamic, so wolves could attack soldiers or chase after deer in the forest, and I think they also mentioned that it'd look very natural, with it happening while Connor isn't around, so who knows?

Where did you hear/read that? Could you give me a link?

That cant happen..

I figured it'd work that way too, any confirmation on that in the form of an article or interview?

If people know of articles/interviews where they've talked about something that has to do with this please link them, I'd like to get some confirmation on how this'll work! ^^

Slayer_WTF
08-26-2012, 12:11 PM
and the wolf whose name escapes at the moment

Mmh.. Lobo?

Slayer_WTF
08-26-2012, 12:13 PM

This would limit the gameplay. Imagine that after 30 hours of play you can no longer find animals .. What do you do? Walk in the woods? :p

pacmanate
08-26-2012, 12:16 PM
This would limit the gameplay. Imagine that after 30 hours of play you can no longer find animals .. What do you do? Walk in the woods? :p

Why walk if you can RUN ON TREES!

Does anyone else wonder if you can ride a pig?

Jay_2750
08-26-2012, 12:23 PM
I think it would be a very interesting spice to the gameplay if they do stay in-game forever, not only that but it would give a wider variety with it than without it.
Hopefully it doesn't turn out like the bandits in Brotherhood.

Slayer_WTF
08-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Connor ride a cow. Yeeeeeeeeah.

Jay_2750
08-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Connor ride a cow. Yeeeeeeeeah.

LOL. That'd be too awesome. :D

Slayer_WTF
08-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Have the courage to kill a poor b e a v e r? I saw it in an image and is too cute. :p

Jay_2750
08-26-2012, 12:38 PM
lol. Can't wait to kill a bear. :D

Ielgon
08-26-2012, 12:43 PM

He said that he wouldn't like it! xD

Getting chased by guards? No horse? Get on a pig and ride to freedom!

Have the courage to kill a poor b e a v e r? I saw it in an image and is too cute. :p

Googled the canoe screenshot because I figured you were talking about that, and sure enough b e a v e r on the right. Didn't notice it before,nice one! ^^
On a sidenote b e a v e r gets censored if you type it normally!? That's a rather weird limitation for a game where they are actually in! XD

Jay_2750
08-26-2012, 12:52 PM
They look cute. :D

DarkDreamer95
08-26-2012, 02:54 PM
or a side-story:p like RDR:UN with the Sasquatch..

Just imagine... FRIGGIN EPIC !!

Hah yeah that'd be awesome :D

... The thought hadn't occured to me yet :P

pacmanate
08-26-2012, 03:59 PM

Nah! I wouldn't kill it, but I would try riding it by jumping on its back :D

jzsnyder
08-26-2012, 04:04 PM

You do what you do in every other AC game. Kill people!

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Where did you hear/read that? Could you give me a link?

I figured it'd work that way too, any confirmation on that in the form of an article or interview?

If people know of articles/interviews where they've talked about something that has to do with this please link them, I'd like to get some confirmation on how this'll work! ^^
There is no link, its just sense. Animals are what populate the Frontier, so not only will making them finite greatly diminish ANY replay value, but also you`ll just have a dim, empty and boring world to roam in.

Like I said, It is just like the Human NPCs, you can kill Millions, but they`re just rendered back, they`re not "finished"

MT4K
08-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Not forgetting that hunting is supposed to play a big part in the game. It would be pretty bad if you could hunt the animals to extinction gameplay wise since that's supposed to be part of the economy system or something this time around.

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Not forgetting that hunting is supposed to play a big part in the game. It would be pretty bad if you could hunt the animals to extinction gameplay wise since that's supposed to be part of the economy system or something this time around.
Indeed..

I seriously do not know how just the Idea of finite Animals even crossed the minds here..

pacmanate
08-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Indeed..

I seriously do not know how just the Idea of finite Animals even crossed the minds here..

Maybe its like the Sasquatch (spelling?) thing. They won't be able to breed anymore haha.

F4H bandicoot
08-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Indeed..

Probably because in RDR you can hunt the Buffalo to extinction, so some people probably thought that may apply here too, and then that snowballed.

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Probably because in RDR you can hunt the Buffalo to extinction, so some people probably thought that may apply here too, and then that snowballed.
Yeah it was just the Buffalo... Not every species..

It cant make sense..

F4H bandicoot
08-26-2012, 06:02 PM

It cant make sense..

It doesn't make sense, the frontier would get pretty boring and sparse if there were finite amounts of animals to hunt.

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 06:05 PM
It doesn't make sense, the frontier would get pretty boring and sparse if there were finite amounts of animals to hunt.
Indeed..

Ielgon
08-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah I didn't really think the finite animal thing would be a real option to begin with, I just made this thread to gather all the info we have so far on how the animals work.

jzsnyder
08-27-2012, 12:59 AM

It cant make sense..

I don't think anyone ever said that it applied to every species. But yes, it doesn't really make that much sense anyways.

ACfan443
08-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Can you kill and skin EVERY animal? Because in the frontier demo, the 'skin' prompt didn't appear after he killed the wolves (when he was standing next to the wolf carcass). What about horses? (probably not..)

Also, can you air assassinate animals from a tree? or can you only kill them in melee combat or with long & short range weapons? (air assassinating an animal could be considered too easy)

LoyalACFan
08-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Can you kill and skin EVERY animal? Because in the frontier demo, the 'skin' prompt didn't appear after he killed the wolves (when he was standing next to the wolf carcass). What about horses? (probably not..)

Also, can you air assassinate animals from a tree? or can you only kill them in melee combat or with long & short range weapons? (air assassinating an animal could be considered too easy)

Yes, you can skin wolves, it was probably just absent from the demo since the deer-skinning was a scripted event. Skinning horses and other domestic animals is unlikely, since the horses in AC have always been freaking immortal Jesus horses. Even if you shoot one with Leonardo's machine gun, it gets right back up and runs off. As for air assassinating animals... I dunno, but I'm sure as hell going to try :p

ACfan443
08-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Yes, you can skin wolves, it was probably just absent from the demo since the deer-skinning was a scripted event. Skinning horses and other domestic animals is unlikely, since the horses in AC have always been freaking immortal Jesus horses. Even if you shoot one with Leonardo's machine gun, it gets right back up and runs off. As for air assassinating animals... I dunno, but I'm sure as hell going to try :p

Hahaha you are too right about the horses. Do you think there'll be sea life, sharks perhaps?

LoyalACFan
08-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Hahaha you are too right about the horses. Do you think there'll be sea life, sharks perhaps?

Maybe, but I don't think you'll be able to interact with them in the same way you would with land animals. I mean, swimming out into the ocean and fighting sharks seems a bit fantastical.

ACfan443
08-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Maybe, but I don't think you'll be able to interact with them in the same way you would with land animals. I mean, swimming out into the ocean and fighting sharks seems a bit fantastical.

Shooting a dart at someone and stringing them up on a tree is fantastical, so are some of those fight moves (I find it hard to believe how Connor strikes a guard with his tomahawk and makes him flip several times in the air before falling on the ground) but that didn stop them from including it into the game. Shark fighting would be the most realistic, cause it's actually possible in reality, and it would be such a cool feature cause not many other games have it :D

Slayer_WTF
08-28-2012, 11:09 AM
I hope that the animals have a good artificial intelligence. The wolves that attack one at a time in the demo did not convince me.

Locopells
08-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Wolves are naturally wary of humans, they only attack when threatened or hungry - it seems quite normal for them to be reluctant.

HisSpiritLives
08-28-2012, 04:11 PM
I hope that the animals have a good artificial intelligence. The wolves that attack one at a time in the demo did not convince me.

I was fine with that, there are wolves not human enemies.

And i wouldnt like sharks in game.

Jay_2750
08-28-2012, 04:21 PM
I do not mind about the animals, because at least they're actually in-game.
But it would be better if they attacked at once not individually.

HisSpiritLives
08-28-2012, 04:24 PM
I do not mind about the animals, because at least they're actually in-game.
But it would be better if they attacked at once not individually.

How would you dodge 3 wolves at once?

Jay_2750
08-28-2012, 05:35 PM
You can roll! :D

Ielgon
08-28-2012, 05:37 PM
How would you dodge 3 wolves at once?

Stop, drop and roll! XD

Jay_2750
08-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Stop, drop and roll! XD
Exactly!
Only if you could ride pigs. :/

Ielgon
08-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Exactly!
Only if you could ride pigs. :/

I'm a big fan of the using a pig as a horse to ride to freedom when you're chased idea, no matter how silly it is! XD

MT4K
08-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm a big fan of using a pig as a horse to ride to freedom when you're chased idea, no matter how silly it is! XD

Maybe as an unlockable cheat code :p.

Jay_2750
08-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Pigs are amazing.

Jay_2750
08-28-2012, 05:58 PM
maybe as an unlockable cheat code :p.
do want!

Assassin_M
08-28-2012, 06:00 PM
RAPTORS !! DON'T YOU FORGET MY RAPTORS !!

I want my raptor..

Jay_2750
08-28-2012, 06:37 PM
I want my raptor

LOl. That would suit the environment.

Ielgon
08-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Guys, mice/rats confirmed in the inside assassin's creed 3 episode 2 video! Look on the right side of the screen at 3:16 in it to see them walking on the street. ^^

And are those birds (at the end of Connor's hands aswell as further across the street)!? Or maybe it's the tomahawk in motion? But then what are those things flying in mid air further along the street?
http://i.imgur.com/UtSHb.jpg
(Thanks to dex3108 for the screenshot!)

Assassin_M
08-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Guys, mice/rats confirmed in the inside assassin's creed 3 episode 2 video! Look on the right side of the screen at 3:16 in it to see them walking on the street. ^^
These were confirmed since the Boston gameplay..

Ielgon
08-29-2012, 07:08 PM
These were confirmed since the Boston gameplay..

Well then excuse me, never noticed them! I'll go look back and see if I spot them this time.

Edit: Yup saw them this time! They're very small and only in it for a tiny bit though. XD

Assassin_M
08-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Well then excuse me, never noticed them! I'll go look back and see if I spot them this time. XD
No No.. im sorry, i didn't mean anything.. Sorry.. i didn't mean to make you feel bad I swear xD

Ielgon
08-29-2012, 07:14 PM
No No.. im sorry, i didn't mean anything.. Sorry.. i didn't mean to make you feel bad I swear xD

It's alright man, my mistake! Read that sometimes people say bad things about you, but I think you're a proper gent. ^^

Assassin_M
08-29-2012, 07:19 PM
It's alright man, my mistake! Read that sometimes people say bad things about you, but I think you're a proper gent. ^^
Most of the time, its the guys that don't know me.. so they have their excuse... some guys actually take a step to get to actually know me and they end up liking me:p

Thanks, mate:D

Ielgon
08-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Confirmed that those are in fact birds in that screenshot, watched it again in HD and they fly past him right at that point.