PDA

View Full Version : The books of AC:R

Steww-
08-25-2012, 03:47 PM
In the wait for AC3, I decided to have another play of Revelations.
Books play quite a large part in the game. There are quests to find them, they're a core part of Sofia's live, and they help Ezio in his journey.

It got me wondering though, were some of the books picked for a certain reason?

I realise this is over-analysing in a sense, but I think Ubisoft might have picked some books as little nods to the stories running elsewhere.

The most interesting, and probably obvious, example is The Book of Prophecies by Columbus. (Quotes from Wikipedia)
It says that before the end of the world (or second coming), certain events must occur. Such as:
"1. Christianity must be spread throughout the world."
"2. The Garden of Eden must be found."
"3. A Last Crusade must take back the Holy Land from the Muslims."
"4. A Last World Emperor must be chosen"
I think there's one that jumps out there.

Historia Regum Britanniae (The History of the Kings of Britain):
Tells of the founding of the British nation by the Trojans - a faction that seem to pop up every now and again in relation to the Pieces of Eden.
Also spread the story of King Arthur, who was in possession of a Sword of Eden.
Although the in-game description calls it "a lively piece of pseudo-historical claptrap", it also says that "Geoffrey of Monmouth claims to have copied most of his data from an earlier source".

Anabasis Alexandri:
The Campaigns of Alexander the Great. The Templars supported his empire, and he had a Staff of Eden. The relevance of this book should be clear.

The books in Cappadocia are perhaps less interesting, but the connections are far more obvious.
Digenes Akritas:
The hero, Basil, is of mixed Greek and Syrian Blood. It discusses "Basil's acts of heroism on the Byzantine border.

Nuova Cronica:
"A 14th century history of Florence." Enough said xD

Tirant lo Blanch:
"At times, it parallels the life and adventures of admiral Roger de Flor, a Templar Knight and participant in the last crusade, leader of the Almogavar (Valencian, Catalan and Aragonese). This historical resemblance is also evident in the description of events occurring around Constantinople and the defeat of Sultan Mehmed II "the conqueror," and ultimately leading to the fall of Constantinople in 1453."

Bibliotheca:
It was Byzantine. I'm not really sure if anything else is relevant.

This was all done from Google alone. Maybe those more knowledgeable can shed some more light on these or other books? Maybe the paintings in Brotherhood have some meaning as well?