PDA

View Full Version : What Exactly Happened?

RinoTheBouncer
08-24-2012, 10:17 PM
SPOILERS WARNING

If you haven't played AC games and wouldn't like to be spoiled about the story, please stop reading here.

SPOILERS WARNING

Hey Assassins,
I played all AC games, replayed them all again in a row one after the other non stop till I finished Revelations. I understood almost every part of the story and honestly, It's the best story I've read so far, it mixes between modernity, history, science, religion and fiction and it's all so brilliant yet one thing I didn't understand, here it goes:

The First Civilization (Those Who Came Before) created human beings
Humans were obedient because of the use of the Pieces of Eden
Humans and members of the first civilization interbred and had a resistant-to-pieces-of-eden children
Adam & Eve (resistant) stole the Apple of Eden
War occurred and there was so much destruction as the first civilization members were outnumbered
Toba Catastrophe Occurred
TFC (TWCB) and Humans started working together to rebuild the world
The First Civilization couldn't survive so they died leaving zero evidence of their existence
In the present, they're afraid of a solar flare that attacks the earth in 2012

So what exactly was the cause of Toba Catastrophe? I've heard that it was a result of the war. Was it the war or the solar flare?
In modern day, the templars are planning to launch the pieces of Eden in the orbit of earth to control people, what does that have to do with the so called solar flare that will happen again? and why the first civilization members say that "The Cross darkens the horizon". Why does it bother them that the templars exist?

Can anyone please explain? thanks!

Calvarok
08-24-2012, 10:25 PM
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Toba_catastrophe

RinoTheBouncer
08-24-2012, 10:30 PM
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Toba_catastrophe

Thank you!
I have read this before. The thing is, what does "The cross darkens the horizon" mean? I know it means the Templars darken the horizon but what does this have to do with the catastrophe? We were also shown a video of the Toba Catastrophe at the end of Revelations and it showed the world living in a seemingly nice metropolis not a war zone like the war that was mentioned by the two races.

Umbra_Blade
08-24-2012, 10:34 PM
the cause of the Toba Catastrophe i think was a solar flare that had nothing to do with the conflict going on at the time. but because TWCB were busy fighting the war, they didn't notice until it was to late that a flare was coming. The templars I don't think know about the new upcoming event with the sun, as they only picked the 21st december because the original date was scrapped due to something going wrong, but then again Lucy knew about it, so it is possible they also know and maybe want to use the flare as a power source maybe? That part is still unknown and will probably be disclosed in AC3.
As for TWCB worrying about the templars, It is probably because Desmond is like the one hope of saving the world, and the templars are out to get them. plus the grand temple is probably a place of great power, something I don't think they would want in the hands of people who want total world domination :p

Calvarok
08-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Quite simply, as Umbra said, the Templars are just another problem, what with their satellite launch which would make people helpless to stop the catastrophe which they are unaware of.

Assassin_M
08-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Thank you!
I have read this before. The thing is, what does "The cross darkens the horizon" mean? I know it means the Templars darken the horizon but what does this have to do with the catastrophe? We were also shown a video of the Toba Catastrophe at the end of Revelations and it showed the world living in a seemingly nice metropolis not a war zone like the war that was mentioned by the two races.
The Cross darkening the horizon means that the templars` work is affecting TWCB`s goals to save the earth (i.e Satellite launch and Assassins purging)
Also, the nice Metropolis could have been a city far away from the War, I mean the war could`v been somewhere farther away, so this city was not affected..

EDIT: Ubmra beat me to it..

RinoTheBouncer
08-24-2012, 10:37 PM
the cause of the Toba Catastrophe i think was a solar flare that had nothing to do with the conflict going on at the time. but because TWCB were busy fighting the war, they didn't notice until it was to late that a flare was coming. The templars I don't think know about the new upcoming event with the sun, as they only picked the 21st december because the original date was scrapped due to something going wrong, but then again Lucy knew about it, so it is possible they also know and maybe want to use the flare as a power source maybe? That part is still unknown and will probably be disclosed in AC3.
As for TWCB worrying about the templars, It is probably because Desmond is like the one hope of saving the world, and the templars are out to get them. plus the grand temple is probably a place of great power, something I don't think they would want in the hands of people who want total world domination :p

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you :)

I really can't wait to play ACIII and even after ACIII, I hope there will be more games. Not sure what direction they'll take because if ACIII ending will be "shocking" like they said then I guess the whole story will be closed but I think I'm going far ahead in time hehe :P

Quite simply, as Umbra said, the Templars are just another problem, what with their satellite launch which would make people helpless to stop the catastrophe which they are unaware of.

So what's the purpose of the Vaults? and why/how they "failed" were they like a center of energy (due to the fact that they contain the pieces of eden) to suppress the catastrophe or just a refuge for them?

There were also flashbacks during the end of Revelations when Ezio is inside the Library and he hears voices of Altair asking the Apple: "Who are those who came before? and where did they come from?" or something similar ... nothing was mentioned about that. Do you think that Altair will make one more appearance in ACIII?

Umbra_Blade
08-24-2012, 10:41 PM

No problem mate ;)

Assassin_M
08-24-2012, 10:45 PM

I really can't wait to play ACIII and even after ACIII, I hope there will be more games. Not sure what direction they'll take because if ACIII ending will be "shocking" like they said then I guess the whole story will be closed but I think I'm going far ahead in time hehe :P

So what's the purpose of the Vaults? and why/how they "failed" were they like a center of energy (due to the fact that they contain the pieces of eden) to suppress the catastrophe or just a refuge for them?
The Vaults were a center of Information Storage on how to defeat the Solar flare, each Vault`s knowledge was transferred to the central Vault for Processing and thus was born the 6 solutions, but they failed because time eroded them..

RinoTheBouncer
08-24-2012, 10:49 PM

So you think TWCB have seen the future somehow (hence the message to Desmond)? or all this is based on calculations that made them realize that it's coming back or Templars and Assassin's existed since that time?

No problem mate ;)

:D

The Vaults were a center of Information Storage on how to defeat the Solar flare, each Vault`s knowledge was transferred to the central Vault for Processing and thus was born the 6 solutions, but they failed because time eroded them..

Thank you! I appreciate your help xD

Calvarok
08-24-2012, 10:54 PM
They are using the nexus of time to see what will happen and communicate with people in the future. As was said in AC:R. Also that stuff about Altair, that was simple a recording of his thoughts and questions he asked. I don't really get what you're asking about that. Sometimes people don't get answers to their questions, and he's dead and done.

RinoTheBouncer
08-24-2012, 11:03 PM
They are using the nexus of time to see what will happen and communicate with people in the future. As was said in AC:R. Also that stuff about Altair, that was simple a recording of his thoughts and questions he asked. I don't really get what you're asking about that. Sometimes people don't get answers to their questions, and he's dead and done.

What's the nexus of time? is it like the point where the timeline is folded and the present and the past can meet at one point and interact?
I remember somewhere during the games we learn that the Pieces of Eden sort of carry answers to questions, that's why I asked about Altair because he obviously asked these questions to hear an answer and regarding the "He's dead and done" all heroes of AC are dead and done except for Desmond and his fellows yet we're exploring their stories when they lived back then.

Assassin_M
08-24-2012, 11:07 PM
What's the nexus of time? is it like the point where the timeline is folded and the present and the past can meet at one point and interact?
I remember somewhere during the games we learn that the Pieces of Eden sort of carry answers to questions, that's why I asked about Altair because he obviously asked these questions to hear an answer and regarding the "He's dead and done" all heroes of AC are dead and done except for Desmond and his fellows yet we're exploring their stories when they lived back then.
The Nexus of time is a result of a Sync Nexus. Its a Calculation of when a moment of great importance might occur in order to communicate through a void in time and Altair never had his questions answered..

Calvarok
08-24-2012, 11:20 PM
He didn't ask the questions to hear an answer. He was talking to himself, dude.

And yeah, we don't know anything about how the nexus of time works, other than it's part of TWCB tech. You're getting into the realm of questions which have been left vague by the story team. Maybe AC3 will shed some light.

RinoTheBouncer
08-24-2012, 11:26 PM
The Nexus of time is a result of a Sync Nexus. Its a Calculation of when a moment of great importance might occur in order to communicate through a void in time and Altair never had his questions answered..

We see Altair clam, determined, dark and very confident too. He had a miserable life yet he always felt like he knew everything.

He didn't ask the questions to hear an answer. He was talking to himself, dude.

And yeah, we don't know anything about how the nexus of time works, other than it's part of TWCB tech. You're getting into the realm of questions which have been left vague by the story team. Maybe AC3 will shed some light.

We don't know whether he was talking to himself or not, what we heard is nothing more than voices. I know I'm asking too deep into the video game story but I'm just trying to make sure I didn't miss anything. I guess the nexus of time is a result of folding the timeline just like the time loop which is a known theory that states that sometimes, the past replays itself on certain points on earth like a recording via an unknown mechanism/method (many people reported seeing roman soldier's passing instantaneously without any interaction or noticing that we exist) so whether it's true or not, it's worth mentioning and this Nexus of Time is a lot like it.

Calvarok
08-24-2012, 11:30 PM
No, those lines of dialogue he said were directly from his journal in AC2. They were just his own thoughts. There was no-one he could have talked to about it.