PDA

View Full Version : A breakdown of new features in HUD + button changes etc.

pacmanate
08-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Just thought I would make a thread of some of the new features that are in AC3 which you could of missed.

1. Rope Darts are kept in the top weapon selection wheel. The amount of Rope Darts you have are displayed to the left of the Icon. This is the same for the Bow and Arrow and Pistols.
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6108/11roptdarts.jpg

2. There have also been some button swaps too. In past AC games you had to be in High Profile and then press the Attack button (Square on PS3 and X on Xbox 360), however this has now been changed to Circle on PS3 and B for Xbox 360. Also, we have a new feature called "Break Defense" which is assigned to the PS3's X button. In previous games this would be the kick option. In AC3 this could be the same thing but it hasn't been shown off yet.
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4759/counterbuttonchange.jpg

3. The next picture is just showcasing the new HUD. The top of the screen is now clear and everything has been moved to the bottom of the screen. You will notice that as said before, the amount of ammunition you have for a Pistol, Bow and Arrow etc is displayed to the left of the weapon Icon. There has also been the removal of the Triangle and Square button in the HUD (Y and X on Xbox 360). This could be down to the fact that they do limited things that are easy to remember, like Square to attack for example. The map has also switched sides, from being on the right in previous AC games, to the left in AC3. I have to admit, I didn't even notice when I first saw the demo's, and thank God it doesn't bother me!
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9403/maphasswappedsizereduce.jpg

4. This is the weapon selection for the bottom weapon "wheel". Something that stood out to me is that the bottom weapon is NOT a Rope Dart. The Rope Dart does not have that Icon as you can see in the first picture at the top of this thread.
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4682/menuforthebottom.jpg

Here is a look at the Rope Dart Icon in use, look at the Icon for it.
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/461/ropedarttakesupthetopsl.jpg

5. Oasis ID Not Set :( and a -1 just to slap us in the face for failing :(
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8245/loloasisnotset.jpg

6. The next picture is just showing us what Sequence and Mission the Frontier Demo was. It seems to be a mission from the middle of the game. It reads "Sequence 8 - Assault On Fort St-Mathieu.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg84/scaled.php?server=84&filename=sequence8.jpg&res=landing

7. This is just showing that Circle can skin animals
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg814/scaled.php?server=814&filename=skinx.jpg&res=landing

8. The picture directly below is showing us a horse..................................... As you can see, stand and jump are still assigned to the X button PS3.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg600/scaled.php?server=600&filename=standjumpthesame.jpg&res=landing

However, in low profile we have some new options. X is now to Dismount and Circle is to rear. My biggest question is WHY. Why would we want the option to basically fall off of our horse?
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg507/scaled.php?server=507&filename=xtodismount.jpg&res=landing

These are a few things that could have been over looked when watching the demos. I hope you liked it! Also, this is pretty freaky, but if you right click the images and click copy image URL, then paste it, the URLs start with:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg507/scaled.php?server=507&filename=xtodismount.jpg&res=landing

YES, DESMOND!?!! If you delete the rest of the URL and just type in desmond.imageshack.us, you get an error. Weird!

HisSpiritLives
08-24-2012, 01:06 PM
I am really interested which weapon is it on 4th picture at bottom of circle,it doesnt looks like rope dart.

EzioAssassin51
08-24-2012, 01:18 PM
However, in low profile we have some new options. X is now to Dismount and Circle is to rear. My biggest question is WHY. Why would we want the option to basically fall off of our horse?

This is the only weird thing about this post. What the hell are you talking about? How would we fall off the horse? Have you played AC1, 2 or B, where we had horses? We had the same options (different buttons obviously) to rear and dismount the horse. The rear won't make us fall off, it's really just for fun and the dismount is to actually get off the horse

AdrianJacek
08-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Not sure if I like it all that much... But hey, I thought the same about the changes in Animus 2.0 +2.03 and 95% of changes were really good.

DoNNiEDaRkO50
08-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Well alex said that traps are part of the game so I think that the weapon that looks like the rope dart is a trap ,,, Connor hides it with tree leaves and when a guard passes by it ,,,BOOM! it pulls him from his legs and he is hanging up side down from the tree but that's just my thought :)

pacmanate
08-24-2012, 02:02 PM
This is the only weird thing about this post. What the hell are you talking about? How would we fall off the horse? Have you played AC1, 2 or B, where we had horses? We had the same options (different buttons obviously) to rear and dismount the horse. The rear won't make us fall off, it's really just for fun and the dismount is to actually get off the horse

I was joking. I basically meant why even put it as a thing. It is pointless and a waste of 3 seconds.

Well alex said that traps are part of the games so I think that weapon that looks like the rope dart is a trap ,,, Connor hides it with tree leaves and when a guard passes by it ,,,BOOM! it pulls him from his legs and he is hanging up side down from the tree but that's just my thought :)

That's a good guess! It does look a bit like a noose

BBALive
08-24-2012, 02:21 PM
The tool that resembles a noose is a snare trap.

The weapon wheel you pointed out is the quick-select menu, like how you could assign different items or weapons to the d-pad in previous games.

Break defense has been shown. Connor uses it against the Scotsman in the Frontier demo and possibly the Boston demo.

Ielgon
08-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Maybe the button's we see only appear when they contextually do something? Although I haven't seen square or triangle at all so I think you could be right in that they just aren't shown because of it being simple to remember.

Maybe the noose is just to use a rope dart like a lasso and drag someone over/trap someone (as has already been said by DoNNiEDaRkO50) without throwing a knife into them beforehand (would fit well with the whole no killing except for targets thing)?

And maybe the rearing on the horse could be used to defend yourself from firing lines? In the cinematic trailer we see him duck behind the horse so that the bullets hit the horse (poor horse!:(), maybe we can use it sort of in that way because then the horse is infront of most of Connor's body?

Nice breakdown btw!

LoyalACFan
08-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Also, we have a new feature called "Break Defense" which is assigned to the PS3's X button. In previous games this would be the kick option. In AC3 this could be the same thing but it hasn't been shown off yet.

Break defense has been there since Brotherhood, it just manifested itself in the form of a nut-kick :p

What exactly is that Oasis thing?

pacmanate
08-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Break defense has been there since Brotherhood, it just manifested itself in the form of a nut-kick :p

What exactly is that Oasis thing?

Probably just something to do with the programming of the demo.

naran6142
08-25-2012, 04:29 AM
Something I like is that the game doesnt pause when you call up the weapon wheel

nice work putting all this some together btw, must have taken a lot of effort :D

EzioAssassin51
08-25-2012, 04:48 AM
I was joking. I basically meant why even put it as a thing. It is pointless and a waste of 3 seconds

Umm... for a bit of fun maybe? Not everything has to have a point and it's a game, so it should be fun. Who doesn't like doing a mass rear before charging with the horse, especially with a game like this with the war settings and advanced horse combat

Calvarok
08-25-2012, 05:00 AM
The rear is there because you can use it to scare people. It's fun. And who knows: maybe they'll make it into a gameplay feature, like you can distract guards using it so that your assassin buddies can sneak by.

projectpat06
08-25-2012, 05:04 AM
That's a good guess! It does look a bit like a noose[/QUOTE]

that would be a terrible noose if it is. The knot is a double half hitch. But I can still see it being the symbol for traps since it's a basic pioneering knot.

pacmanate
08-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Something I like is that the game doesnt pause when you call up the weapon wheel

nice work putting all this some together btw, must have taken a lot of effort :D

Thanks! Just thought some people could miss some obvious things like button prompts etc. I know I did! Also, I was looking for that weapon wheel thing but I can't remember what video that was in?

The rear is there because you can use it to scare people. It's fun. And who knows: maybe they'll make it into a gameplay feature, like you can distract guards using it so that your assassin buddies can sneak by.

Maybe. It never "scared" people in past AC games though. Although if they have put this in as a button prompt, I hope it actually as an effect like scaring guards or at least shielding you from bullets. My horse can take it!!

Serrachio
08-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Here's hoping they've refined the speed and positioning of Connor as he stands up to jump from the horse. Brotherhood put Ezio in a weird zoomed in view and the horse was slow and hard to maneuver properly, not to mention that sticking your feet right next to each other on the saddle would provide a poor springboard.

Connor should hold onto the knob at the front of the saddle, with one foot close to being behind his hand, while the other foot is more towards the back of the saddle. This would give him a hand free, which would help when trying to grab onto something, or maybe he could hold a weapon in it.

morpheusPrime08
08-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks pacmanate, you should really do more of these:D

morpheusPrime08
08-25-2012, 09:41 AM
lol ive been watching the Frontier and Boston demo like everyday now -__- atleast the games almost here.

pacmanate
08-25-2012, 09:51 AM
lol ive been watching the Frontier and Boston demo like everyday now -__- atleast the games almost here.

Same! I watch them before I go to bed :P

Stroonzje
08-25-2012, 09:59 AM
that would be a terrible noose if it is. The knot is a double half hitch. But I can still see it being the symbol for traps since it's a basic pioneering knot

its just an icon bro, not the actual noose

HorTyS
08-25-2012, 11:49 AM
The tool that resembles a noose is a snare trap.

The weapon wheel you pointed out is the quick-select menu, like how you could assign different items or weapons to the d-pad in previous games.

Break defense has been shown. Connor uses it against the Scotsman in the Frontier demo and possibly the Boston demo.

I'll be interested to learn more about how traps work...

Ielgon
08-25-2012, 12:17 PM

I think pretty much everyone excited for the game does that, me included (sometimes multiple times a day)! XD

dewgel
08-25-2012, 04:17 PM

Just a note.. I think it does pause if you bring the main weapon wheel up, but not the shortcut one.

I saw a live demo played at the GAME Newcastle Event and it paused on both the Naval and Boston demo when he used it ( he brought the menu up for a while during the naval sequence to explain the chain shots etc and everything pauses )

naran6142
08-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks! Just thought some people could miss some obvious things like button prompts etc. I know I did! Also, I was looking for that weapon wheel thing but I can't remember what video that was in?

It was in the Boston demo around when connor is about to take that guy out around the corner

pacmanate
08-25-2012, 05:39 PM
It was in the Boston demo around when connor is about to take that guy out around the corner

That was the quick select. Im talking about the one that takes up most of the screen.

xXHyperMidgetXx
08-26-2012, 02:27 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/21do0ic.jpg
I think this is the main weapon selection screen. They showed it in the Boston demo at comic-con. Here's the link to the video:
http://au.gamespot.com/assassins-creed-iii/videos/assassins-creed-iii-comic-con-2012-stage-demo-6387116/

There seems to be two more weapons below the rope dart but I can't figure out what they are :L

Edit:
http://i50.tinypic.com/dqj3ar.jpg
A bit further along, there seems to be that noose trap again and an animal icon below (???)
To the left of the weapon selection screen, is that a sword between the fists and tomahawk?

Stroonzje
08-26-2012, 03:36 AM
I think this is the main weapon selection screen. They showed it in the Boston demo at comic-con. Here's the link to the video:
http://au.gamespot.com/assassins-creed-iii/videos/assassins-creed-iii-comic-con-2012-stage-demo-6387116/

There seems to be two more weapons below the rope dart but I can't figure out what they are :L

Edit:
http://i50.tinypic.com/dqj3ar.jpg
A bit further along, there seems to be that noose trap again and an animal icon below (???)
To the left of the weapon selection screen, is that a sword between the fists and tomahawk?

the one between the fists and the tomohawk i think is just a dagger (not the detachable hidden blade) and i think the bottom weapon is kind of like a call for back up but with a wolf because he kind of resembles one, but thats pretty far-fetched. Im most curious about the
ball thing going into the circle above the noose, i have no idea what it could be

Assassin_M
08-26-2012, 03:37 AM
the one between the fists and the tomohawk i think is just a dagger (not the detachable hidden blade) and i think the bottom weapon is kind of like a call for back up but with a wolf because he kind of resembles one, but thats pretty far-fetched. Im most curious about the
ball thing going into the circle above the noose, i have no idea what it could be
Ball thing`s a trap (Obvious)
Wolf thing`s is Animal food (Again obvious)

LoyalACFan
08-26-2012, 05:39 AM

I'm not sure about that, honestly... The weapon wheel in the image at the start this thread must be some kind of "mini" weapon wheel, or one that comes up when we select something on the d-pad? Because in other versions of the video, you can clearly see him pull up a full weapon wheel that pauses the game and blurs out most of the screen just like previous games, as seen a few posts above me. In any case, there's no way all of Connor's stuff is going to fit on that tiny little 4-slot weapon wheel.

dewgel
08-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure about that, honestly... The weapon wheel in the image at the start this thread must be some kind of "mini" weapon wheel, or one that comes up when we select something on the d-pad? Because in other versions of the video, you can clearly see him pull up a full weapon wheel that pauses the game and blurs out most of the screen just like previous games, as seen a few posts above me. In any case, there's no way all of Connor's stuff is going to fit on that tiny little 4-slot weapon wheel.
I've already explained this on page 2. I saw the game being played live and the mini bit that pops up is when you use the d pad, and the screen you saw above is when you hit R2 to bring the wheel up. The R2 one pauses the game as with previous wheels.

And the dagger weapon in between the tomahawk on the left is the hidden blade. He uses that in the frontier demo and in the demo I saw he changed to them and Connor does whatEzio used to, when he extends both hidden blades when you select them

pacmanate
08-26-2012, 11:18 AM
That sword is the hidden blade and the animal thing would be bait.

Ielgon
08-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Anyone notice how the picture says left holster next to the pistol, does that mean we will be able to have different pistols in each holster or something like that?

Slayer_WTF
08-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Anyone notice how the picture says left holster next to the pistol, does that mean we will be able to have different pistols in each holster or something like that?

I think yes.

Ielgon
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM
I think yes.

Interesting because in the pistol thread I made a while back where I noticed Connor had one pistol that was different somebody made a point out of it not being possible since you can only equip sets according to them. So maybe he does get that silver pistol eventually and it was not due to a weird lighting bug and/or clipping issues.

pacmanate
08-26-2012, 12:14 PM

I'm not to sure. If you look at the two pictures, the pistol one says "Tools - LEFT HOLSTER" and the rope dart one says "Tools - ROPE DART". What I am trying to get at, is how would you know which pistol is which pistol? For example, what if you wanted the silver one in the right? How would you know based on the static pistol image?

Ielgon
08-26-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm not to sure. If you look at the two pictures, the pistol one says "Tools - LEFT HOLSTER" and the rope dart one says "Tools - ROPE DART". What I am trying to get at, is how would you know which pistol is which pistol? For example, what if you wanted the silver one in the right? How would you know based on the static pistol image?

Maybe it's like for shooting with just one specific pistol. You equip Connor with two of your choosing (say the silver one on the right and the default one on the left). Now you can see ingame on which side of him he has each pistol. Now say that the silver one shoots more accurate at further distances. You could select a guard who is close and select left holster in order to shoot at him with the default pistol, but if he was farther away you could select right holster to make sure you could hit him.

It would indeed be hard to judge which is which based on the menu's icon (if that is indeed always a static image and doesn't change to reflect different pistols). So as I said I'm thinking you could just see ingame and then select one to shoot with. Instead of the quickly shooting both one after another we see him do in demo's you can select which one he pulls out first (we've already seen him shooting with just one in trailers).

LoyalACFan
08-26-2012, 05:31 PM
I've already explained this on page 2. I saw the game being played live and the mini bit that pops up is when you use the d pad, and the screen you saw above is when you hit R2 to bring the wheel up. The R2 one pauses the game as with previous wheels.

And the dagger weapon in between the tomahawk on the left is the hidden blade. He uses that in the frontier demo and in the demo I saw he changed to them and Connor does whatEzio used to, when he extends both hidden blades when you select them

I don't really understand the point of having something flash up on the screen when you use the d-pad, though... We've already got the weapon icon on the bottom right. And since you can customize which weapons you have in which slots, people should know where stuff is without the visual aide.

naran6142
08-26-2012, 09:16 PM
That was the quick select. Im talking about the one that takes up most of the screen.

oh my bad, i shoulda realized that :p

LoyalACFan
08-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Maybe it's like for shooting with just one specific pistol. You equip Connor with two of your choosing (say the silver one on the right and the default one on the left). Now you can see ingame on which side of him he has each pistol. Now say that the silver one shoots more accurate at further distances. You could select a guard who is close and select left holster in order to shoot at him with the default pistol, but if he was farther away you could select right holster to make sure you could hit him.

It would indeed be hard to judge which is which based on the menu's icon (if that is indeed always a static image and doesn't change to reflect different pistols). So as I said I'm thinking you could just see ingame and then select one to shoot with. Instead of the quickly shooting both one after another we see him do in demo's you can select which one he pulls out first (we've already seen him shooting with just one in trailers).

I hope you can equip pistols in sets, though, or at least get two that look pretty similar. I thought it looked stupid having mismatched guns in your holsters.