PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Hastings - Annoying or Funny?

pacmanate
08-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Still replaying all of my AC games and Shaun does my head in! Well, not all the time, he is actually quiet funny at times but the dialogue that Shaun has just makes me cringe/make me want to kill him.

Do you find Shaun annoying or funny?

RatonhnhakeFan
08-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Mostly funny but he had a couple of bad lines

Blind2Society
08-23-2012, 03:09 PM
A bit of both, much more funny than annoying though.

Slayer_WTF
08-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Funny, very funny. I love this guy.

GLHS
08-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I think he's great. Their yelling in the sanctuary when they're 10 feet from each other is a bit much though. But overall, I think his lines definitely got better from AC2-AC:B. A lot of his sarcasm with things like "Open the d@mn door! Took you long enough" and "Ok, I'll guess we'll just wait here, with massive targets painted on our backs!" is a little unnecessary, but most of his other jokes and lines are quite funny. I think overall, it's about 90% funny, and 10% or so annoyed.

matteume
08-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Mr. Negative but he's funny from time to time.

Umbra_Blade
08-23-2012, 03:22 PM
He pretty much just uses sarcasm nonstop, and when someone does that they can be funny for a while before it becomes tiresome, and therefore annoying. I like him though because beneath the bravado he is actually very intelligent (obviously, otherwise he wouldn't be on the team). So when he is sarcastic he can become extremely annoying, but when he isn't he is actually worth a chat and is far more tolerable.

HisSpiritLives
08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
In the begining of AC2 i just wanted to kill him , but then as time passed i changed my mind.He acctualy has some good jokes.

pacmanate
08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
I think he's great. Their yelling in the sanctuary when they're 10 feet from each other is a bit much though. But overall, I think his lines definitely got better from AC2-AC:B. A lot of his sarcasm with things like "Open the d@mn door! Took you long enough" and "Ok, I'll guess we'll just wait here, with massive targets painted on our backs!" is a little unnecessary, but most of his other jokes and lines are quite funny. I think overall, it's about 90% funny, and 10% or so annoyed.

I agree with this completely. The massive targets thing I was just like... "Wtf, shut up".

Saar Ben Kiki
08-23-2012, 03:32 PM
love him and his commentary(ies)

arkangelyou
08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
He's great! I personally find Rebecca annoying -__-

LadyGahan2010
08-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Shaun is awesome. Every time he opens his mouth, i go 'Oh oh oh! :p'

I will never forgive Ubi for ruining Shaun's best lines with comments from buzz kill Lucy. Gah, what a bore...

Sabastian_AC
08-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Shaun's character is hilarious, and he adds a much-needed lightness to the proceedings. I have a sense that his humor will be much appreciated given that our new hero has been described more "reserved."

itsamea-mario
08-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Definitely funny, and remember it's not like he's trying to be a comedian, he's just very cynical and probably uses sarcasm as some kind of defense mechanism, i don't think he particularly likes all the killing.

And he's British so...

POP1Fan
08-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Neither annoying, nor funny. Just awesome.

MT4K
08-23-2012, 05:28 PM
A little from column A, and a little from column B.

Jay_2750
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
In Brotherhood, he is hilarious.

Assassin_M
08-23-2012, 05:45 PM
I personally never found him annoying. I found it annoying when Lucy bossed him around, as others have mentioned. He`s that kind of guy that everyone has to shut up when he talks.
Rebecca is cheesy, Lucy is stupid and Desmond is boring. Also he usually manages to make remarks that I wanted to make.. "You didn't even try to escape" xD

lonewarrior30
08-23-2012, 05:46 PM
I love him...because AC has this serious tone..and the scenes with shaun are refreshing

naran6142
08-23-2012, 05:48 PM
i like his character...

The most legit modern assassin we've seen so far, imo

Aphex_Tim
08-23-2012, 05:50 PM
AC2: Annoying
ACB: Funny

pacmanate
08-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I dunno guys. I am kind of torn between him being funny and annoying. He does have some cool lines, like in AC:B when Rebecca says she will get the van for the Colloseum and Shaun goes something like "Ah, yeah, nice try. I've seen your car". That stuff is funny. What annoys me is when he says stupid stuff like "You know Desmond, the Assassin's out their, actually DOING something". THAT annoyed me! Among other things...

Blind2Society
08-23-2012, 06:34 PM
The only time I really found him annoying was his first line in ACR when he jumps on William for not saying hello.

Reminded me of when MY Shepard jumped down Joker's throat for his Asari joke in ME3 and that part of ME3 really pissed me of.

kriegerdesgottes
08-23-2012, 06:58 PM
I have to admit I hate Shaun. He's much more annoying and insulting to me than he is funny. Actually I can't say he's ever made me laugh. Usually while I'm playing I think to myself, why doesn't Desmond just go over and knock him out?

itsamea-mario
08-23-2012, 07:06 PM
I have to admit I hate Shaun. He's much more annoying and insulting to me than he is funny. Actually I can't say he's ever made me laugh. Usually while I'm playing I think to myself, why doesn't Desmond just go over and knock him out?

Only because you don't have as firm a grip on the principles of sarcasm as us british.

Umbra_Blade
08-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Only because you don't have as firm a grip on the principles of sarcasm as us british.

we practically live and breathe sarcasm :p

itsamea-mario
08-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Shaun probably had quite a secluded childhood. However is quite intelligent since he noticed abstergo and was able to discover just how powerful they are. but then whilst still very young had to run for his life, but was saved and then pretty much had no choice but to join an organisation who's morals he finds questionable at best

Assassin_M
08-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Shaun probably had quite a secluded childhood. However is quite intelligent since he noticed abstergo and was able to discover just how powerful they are. but then whilst still very young had to run for his life, but was saved and then pretty much had no choice but to join an organisation who's morals he finds questionable at best
Indeed, he`s a character I found more Interesting than an escaped Assassin turned Bartender, or a Skier turned Techie, or an annoying blonde who became Templar for feeling "alone"

pacmanate
08-23-2012, 07:42 PM
we practically live and breathe sarcasm :p

Course we do.

reddragonhrcro
08-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Well would kinda say both.

DarkSolitude-X
08-23-2012, 08:14 PM
I think Shaun is funny as hell. When I played Brotherhood, I always went to him first, to see what he would say. Alot of his dialogue got laughs out of me. In AC2 I thought he was just a a**hole though.

kriegerdesgottes
08-23-2012, 08:16 PM

haha that could be. I have wondered to myself if maybe he's just using British humor and maybe I just don't get it but yea he just annoys me.

kefert
08-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I hope we get to see more of Shaun in AC3. I really like him in Brotherhood. Especially that time where he went like: "Bloody third world country" talking about all of Europe :rolleyes:

DarkSolitude-X
08-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Desmond: "How's the power?"

Rebecca: "It's ok for now, but the power lines are from the stone age"

Shaun: "Bloody third world country!"

Rebecca: "you're talking about Italy"

Shaun: "No, Europe in general"

Rebecca: "I didn't know England was a third world country"

Shaun: "England is not in Europe actually, Rebecca. We tolerate Europe, you know? Like a person tolerates herpes"

LOL :D I love that line.

SixKeys
08-23-2012, 09:15 PM
I find Shaun more annoying than funny. He's only had a couple of lines that have made me smile or chuckle. I like sarcastic characters when they have a reason to act like that (like Malik towards Alta´r), but Shaun just acts like a ****** for no reason. It's not just directed towards Desmond either, so it's not jealousy or distrust, he's like that with everyone.

itsamea-mario
08-23-2012, 09:21 PM
I find Shaun more annoying than funny. He's only had a couple of lines that have made me smile or chuckle. I like sarcastic characters when they have a reason to act like that (like Malik towards Alta´r), but Shaun just acts like a ****** for no reason. It's not just directed towards Desmond either, so it's not jealousy or distrust, he's like that with everyone.

Perhaps he's scared, nervous, anxious?
Like i said before, sarcasm is often a defense mechanism, Shaun has already expressed his feelings towards the order and towards killing, i can't imagine he's feeling particularly comfortable, so he deals with it in his own way.

SixKeys
08-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Perhaps he's scared, nervous, anxious?
Like i said before, sarcasm is often a defense mechanism, Shaun has already expressed his feelings towards the order and towards killing, i can't imagine he's feeling particularly comfortable, so he deals with it in his own way.

Sure, it's possible. It's also possible he's just a shallow character. Until he's given more depth, I'll settle for him simply being a ******.

Assassin_M
08-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Sure, it's possible. It's also possible he's just a shallow character. Until he's given more depth, I'll settle for him simply being a ******.
Shaun Hastings disapproves..

HisSpiritLives
08-23-2012, 09:56 PM

Shaun really knows to get very anoying sometimes.

itsamea-mario
08-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Shaun's great and that's the end of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIO0RV0MSQ4

Assassin_M
08-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Hahahahahah !!! xD

You gotta love him

Aphex_Tim
08-23-2012, 10:07 PM

It's probably on purpose but man, that narrator sounds annoying. :p

itsamea-mario
08-23-2012, 10:08 PM
It's probably on purpose but man, that narrator sounds annoying. :p

Yeah their doing that whole clichÚ action movie voice thing, but since it's a trailer for shaun, it's obviously trying to take the piss.

twenty_glyphs
08-23-2012, 10:59 PM
I like Shaun a lot now. I'm not sure if I'd call him funny, but he's certainly entertaining. It's hard to remember how I felt about him in AC2, but I think I might have found him a bit annoying at first. I thought he lent a nice change of pace to the team dynamic, especially since I agree that Lucy was somewhat boring and Rebecca was pretty cheesy (though they were both likeable). But his database entries and assassination target videos in AC2 really put him over the top as an entertaining character for me.

I thought Shaun got even more entertaining in Brotherhood, and he started to show a little bit of his softer side. I wish he'd been in Revelations more, but I liked that he appeared human by being sad about Lucy. I'm really looking forward to Shaun's comments and perspective on the American Revolution since he's British. That should be a lot of fun.

itsamea-mario
08-23-2012, 11:18 PM
I like Shaun a lot now. I'm not sure if I'd call him funny, but he's certainly entertaining. It's hard to remember how I felt about him in AC2, but I think I might have found him a bit annoying at first. I thought he lent a nice change of pace to the team dynamic, especially since I agree that Lucy was somewhat boring and Rebecca was pretty cheesy (though they were both likeable). But his database entries and assassination target videos in AC2 really put him over the top as an entertaining character for me.

I thought Shaun got even more entertaining in Brotherhood, and he started to show a little bit of his softer side. I wish he'd been in Revelations more, but I liked that he appeared human by being sad about Lucy. I'm really looking forward to Shaun's comments and perspective on the American Revolution since he's British. That should be a lot of fun.

Well i will agree, he was a little irritating at the beginning, but only really from desmonds perspective, and since that's where we're playing from...
But i think that's only really because he was quite cynical of desmond at first, as the game progresses his attitude towards desmond changes, and by brotherhood they're pretty friendly with eachother.

Calvarok
08-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Shaun has never had a bad line of dialogue ever, in my opinion. I should know because while replaying AC2 and B however many times I did I made a point of finding and re-listening to every possible line he had. I like him for being sceptical of Desmond, but I also like when he and Desmond get more friendly and are just talking about history together. Danny Wallace is amazing, and he's an all around great character.

tarrero
08-24-2012, 01:10 AM
I really missed Shaun┤s sarcastic comments in ACR, hope he bounces back!

Calvarok
08-24-2012, 01:20 AM
Shaun was good in his far more serious role in Revelations. I loved listening to him in his more sober disposition. Talking about how he buried Lucy...

Kaschra
08-24-2012, 01:23 AM
I love him and his constant *****ing about everything.
One of my faves is still "Hello Desmond - go away", that cracks me up every time I hear it xD
I also liked his serious role in ACR.

tarrero
08-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Shaun was good in his far more serious role in Revelations. I loved listening to him in his more sober disposition. Talking about how he buried Lucy...

True, but I like his "funny" side better, and that is something that I am really looking forward to see in AC3, mostly because this time the British are involved!

SteelCity999
08-24-2012, 01:40 AM
In AC2, Shaun came off more as a pompus ***** because his dialogue wasn't given any context to make it funny. He sat in a chair, got up once or twice maybe, and shot off wise-cracks. In AC:B, Ubi gave him some context and reason to make some of his remarks, so they were more relevant and I could certainly identify with him better in that setting making the comments he did. In AC:R, they showed he was human and not just a wise crack artist. He is definitely needed to break up some of the blah blah moments and give the present day story some fun. As an Uncharted fan, those little comments go a long way to making the game feel a bit more real.

Legendz54
08-24-2012, 07:21 AM
In AC2 he came off as someone who was jealous of Desmond, in ACB he had more of a personality, definately funniest guy of the group.

Favourite scene :D

http://youtu.be/B3JLISOQe7A

Blind2Society
08-24-2012, 07:30 AM
The suggested vid at the end of that one. The bottom middle left one. Go to 2:30. That's my favorite Shaun Hastings line of the series.

NewBlade200
08-24-2012, 10:27 AM
I think he should replace Desmond as the new main character

pacmanate
08-24-2012, 11:22 AM

They gave him his own trailer :|

Blind2Society
08-24-2012, 11:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVcR_5Y294M&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzZ3Edjnpmw&feature=relmfu

pacmanate
08-24-2012, 12:28 PM
^ Watched them straight after :P He has such a weird voice. Like how he ends words, the expression and tone in his voice. It is quiet calming but kinda weird :P

Felix-Vivo
08-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I like Shaun. I don't know if being British makes a difference, but I am so his sarcasm feels natural. There were times when it was a bit much but that's just like real life, eh?
I loved when he emailed Rebecca saying he found another P.O.E. and it was a massive prank.
I also love Danny Wallace and listen to him every morning XFM Breakfast. :cool:

EzioAssassin51
08-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Where's all this hate for Shaun suddenly come from? Like seriously, in every thread now people are bagging him. Last I checked he was one of the funniest characters in the game who everyone loved...

kudos17
08-24-2012, 02:02 PM
I love the voice actor, but I hate the character.

Don't get me wrong, I don't loathe every conversation with him. But most times, I just don't want his attitude. He can be funny sometimes for sure, but his bitter outlook on everything - EVERYTHING - can get irritating after a while. It's like he has a sarcasm switch that he just can't turn off. And that's doubly irking for someone so quick-minded - "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"... "besides punning".

What pisses me off most is that Desmond just takes it, whereas I would be cutting sarcastic comments right back at him. It makes me happy when Lucy shuts him down from time to time.

Plus, I can't remember the exact scene, but there was this instance where Rebecca needed power for the Animus or something and asked Shaun about it, and he just went on a sarcastic rampage for really no reason. She just frowned at him and walked away. I don't think that's the last time that happens, either.

And you can't do that to Rebecca :(

De Filosoof
08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Both.

GLHS
08-24-2012, 02:19 PM
My favorite lines are the Europe/herpes line and when he figures out what the numbers mean underneath Ezio's message in the Sanctuary. "Are you absolutely sure?" "That's kinda why I'm saying it out loud, Rebecca, yeah." And after they get into Juno's Temple and he's like "If you wanna kill us, you'll have to do a little better than that, mate." And then he says something about always being right and Desmond's like "About that dead end...?" "Oh that? That never happened...I was misquoted." I'm also a big fan of the Altiar statue conversation. Mainly b/c of Desmond though. It just cracks me up that the best come back he can think of is "You're racist!"

But yeah, Lucy shoots him down a lot, which would be funny except she's just boring and dumb about it. She never shoots anything back, she's just like "Shaun, stop." Yeah, real entertaining :rolleyes:

arkangelyou
08-24-2012, 02:38 PM
I find Shaun's sarcasm attractive, in a way.
Yeah, I know something's probably wrong with me....

itsamea-mario
08-24-2012, 03:48 PM
I love the voice actor, but I hate the character.

Don't get me wrong, I don't loathe every conversation with him. But most times, I just don't want his attitude. He can be funny sometimes for sure, but his bitter outlook on everything - EVERYTHING - can get irritating after a while. It's like he has a sarcasm switch that he just can't turn off. And that's doubly irking for someone so quick-minded - "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"... "besides punning".

What pisses me off most is that Desmond just takes it, whereas I would be cutting sarcastic comments right back at him. It makes me happy when Lucy shuts him down from time to time.

Plus, I can't remember the exact scene, but there was this instance where Rebecca needed power for the Animus or something and asked Shaun about it, and he just went on a sarcastic rampage for really no reason. She just frowned at him and walked away. I don't think that's the last time that happens, either.

And you can't do that to Rebecca :(

Sexual tension...

XxSYD3WINDERxX
08-24-2012, 05:08 PM
He's cool.

ImPinheadDan
08-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Both but more annoying.